Marshall Simpson

KEVMAC

Oct 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/11/96

Anybody ever heard of Marshall Simpson?? I've seen him fight a few times
and I'm impressed with his speed and style. I'll tell you what I know
about him. (I got this out of the International Boxing Digest. He was
featured as a new prospect) He's a middleweight, born in Jamaica,
managed by Linda Luizzo, trained by Poppa Ray Drayton and John Curran,
strengths are well rounded boxer/puncher with decent speed and movement.
He has an impressive international level of amateur competition.
Including:Two time Jamaican National Champ (1990-1991), Youngest boxer
ever to compete in Pan American Games (1991), E.Tennessee Golden Gloves
Champion (1993), Gold Medalist Puerto Rico's Copa Mayaguezana de Boxeo
International Games (1993) Began boxing at age 15, most admires his
manager because "Of her dependability, ability, endless determination
and hard work." He has sparred with Vinnie Pazienza, Kip Diggs and
Franco DiOrio. I'd appreciate some feedback on this kid. Just curious.
Thanks

steve...@delphi.com

Oct 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/11/96

> Anybody ever heard of Marshall Simpson?? I've seen him fight a few times
> and I'm impressed with his speed and style. I'll tell you what I know
> about him. (I got this out of the International Boxing Digest. He was

Yes, Marshall works for the most part out of the Somerville Boxing Club
and lately has been seen a lot at O'Malley's, where his principle trainer,
Papa Ray Drayton works with other young fighters.

One thing you didn't mentioned, but probably noticed is Marshall's footwork.
Papa Ray's forte is footwork. He, himself, is a former entertainer with
roots in dance. Ray's emphasis is BALANCE. I have seen him take a kid
and spend an ungodly amount of time just seeing that they move correctly
with their feet in throwing a left jab. Ray is a "hands on" teacher and
has an uncanny knack for knowing what a fighter is doing wrong by
working the ring. Ray was, at one time, used for speed in preparing
Sonny Liston for a couple of his fights. More than ANY other fight
trainer, Papa Ray, finds himself actually working in the ring. NOT
just mitts but body protectors etc. I have seen Papa Ray wear out
kids thirty yrs or more his jr.

John Curran is a technician; so much so that unless you are bright
and listen hard the full extent of his skill will go unappreciated.
He is a cultured man whose great...great (?) grandfatha was a pall
bearer for John L. Sullivan. He is an interesting man as well as a
fabulous trainer. BOTH of these men exude a concern for the
welfare of their fighters and without them our little club would
be permanently reduced in stature.

Marshall himself is very quiet, except on a public forum; and despite
an ostensible effort to distance himself I have seen him interupt his
training to help young kids pick up the sport. Marshall is a bright
kid and an outstanding example of quality both in and out of the
ring.

Linda Luizzo, his trainer, has been criticized for excess of caution.
For example, in turning down a fight with one fellow named Bronislavski
(sp). This boy would have been a great fighter if he had remained
with Ralph Palmacci a number of years ago, but today a fellow like
Marshall would dismantle him.

Thanks for your interest in Marshall: his hand speed, his balance, his
footwork will prove instructive and entertaining to all regardless of
the uncertainties we have grown all too familiar with in this sport.

Stevie "Magoo" Bayne
(Somerville Boxing Club)

The Sanity Cruzer

Oct 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/11/96
to steve...@delphi.com

steve...@delphi.com wrote:

> > Anybody ever heard of Marshall Simpson?? I've seen him fight a few times
> > and I'm impressed with his speed and style. I'll tell you what I know
> > about him. (I got this out of the International Boxing Digest. He was
>
> Yes, Marshall works for the most part out of the Somerville Boxing Club
> and lately has been seen a lot at O'Malley's, where his principle trainer,
> Papa Ray Drayton works with other young fighters.

clipped

> Thanks for your interest in Marshall: his hand speed, his balance, his
> footwork will prove instructive and entertaining to all regardless of
> the uncertainties we have grown all too familiar with in this sport.
>
> Stevie "Magoo" Bayne
> (Somerville Boxing Club)

Nice post! It was nice to see some acknowledgement on RSB for some of
the people behind the scenes who make boxing happen/possible.

Gary (The Sanity Cruzer)

posted & mailed