Cheesing the 9-ball...

Samiel

Dec 31, 2001, 3:12:41 PM12/31/01
I've just started playing in a few tournaments around town (Arlington,
TX) and I'm wondering if there is a certain etiquette about cheesing
the 9-ball.

Now, I am a decent enough player not to have to cheese the 9-ball
every single chance I get, but when in a tournament, playing for
money, is it okay to go for the 9-ball when you have a chance of
running out?

In friendly games, it's a matter of who I play with whether I try
cheesing the 9-ball or not. If I'm playing with a friend who always
tries cheesing the 9-ball, I'll cheese too, but if I'm playing with a
friend who doesn't cheese the 9-ball, I won't cheese it.

Is it considered poor taste and/or lack of talent to chese the 9-ball?

I'm sure many of you have more tournament experience than myself, so
maybe you could steer me in what seems the norm in tournament play.

So far, I've tried to NOT cheese the 9-ball in tournaments, but I've
been cheesed on several occassions. I feel better about myself from
not cheesing... but I've lost matches (and money) for lack of cheese.

- Samiel

louis

Dec 31, 2001, 3:29:49 PM12/31/01
You wrote "cheese" twelve times.

Useless information brought to you by...

-louis

Samiel

Dec 31, 2001, 3:33:44 PM12/31/01
The Power of Cheese... :-)

All the better for search engines... :-)

Bob Johnson

Dec 31, 2001, 3:34:37 PM12/31/01
The way I see it, if you're playing 9 ball to win, and you have a legal shot
on the nine, TAKE IT! I've never understood this question, or if this is
really a point of etiquette! That would be like a PGA golfer feeling bad
about a hole in one! I've never seen it as being a problem.

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Colorado
Home of the 1997/1998 World Champion Denver Broncos
"Samiel" <sam...@samiel.com> wrote in message

michael page

Dec 31, 2001, 3:30:52 PM12/31/01
In article <3c30c523....@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net>,
sam...@samiel.com (Samiel) wrote:

> I've just started playing in a few tournaments around town (Arlington,
> TX) and I'm wondering if there is a certain etiquette about cheesing
> the 9-ball.
>
> Now, I am a decent enough player not to have to cheese the 9-ball
> every single chance I get, but when in a tournament, playing for
> money, is it okay to go for the 9-ball when you have a chance of
> running out?

It is *always* OK to go for the 9-ball. Don't make the mistake of opting
for the runout when the runout is straightforward for *somebody else*.
You should do what maximizes *your* chance of winning.

> In friendly games, it's a matter of who I play with whether I try
> cheesing the 9-ball or not. If I'm playing with a friend who always
> tries cheesing the 9-ball, I'll cheese too, but if I'm playing with a
> friend who doesn't cheese the 9-ball, I won't cheese it.

In a friendly game. I'm more likely to go for the out--cause that's what
I'm trying to practice.

> Is it considered poor taste and/or lack of talent to chese the 9-ball?

An opponent might make you think so, but you've got to walk that lonesome
valley by yourself--it's your game.

Ron Shepard

Dec 31, 2001, 3:53:53 PM12/31/01

> I've just started playing in a few tournaments around town (Arlington,
> TX) and I'm wondering if there is a certain etiquette about cheesing
> the 9-ball.

There is no etiquette aspect to it. When competing, you take the shot
that gives you the highest chance of winning. Sometimes you should do
this even when not competing. Anything less, is, well, less; it reflects
poorly on your judgement and character and it is an insult to your
opponent.

Practice is a different matter -- there you practice what needs the most
practice.

$.02 -Ron Shepard

Tubsey

Dec 31, 2001, 4:03:59 PM12/31/01
OK, what's "cheesing" mean exactly?

"Bob Johnson" <bo...@cris.com> wrote in message

Samiel

Dec 31, 2001, 4:18:36 PM12/31/01
"Cheesing" means to shoot for the 9-ball (in 9-ball) before being on
the 9-ball (i.e. shooting at the 1-ball to hit the 9-ball in).
Basically if you can do it, you'll win the game (but perhaps not much
respect).

- Samiel

Q-Ball

Dec 31, 2001, 4:55:43 PM12/31/01
Samiel wrote:

> "Cheesing" means to shoot for the 9-ball (in 9-ball) before being on
> the 9-ball (i.e. shooting at the 1-ball to hit the 9-ball in).
> Basically if you can do it, you'll win the game (but perhaps not much
> respect).
>
> - Samiel

To the contrary, going for the 9 is the object of the game and
not doing so aggressively is laying back or going easy on your
opponent. Going easy on your opponent shows disrespect for
them, especially if they are of rather equal ability. I TRY not
to go easy even when I play ladies, particularly those that have
a good game. To do so would deny them the satisfaction of
beating me fair and square. How would it make you feel if
another player patronized you by fluffing off so you could win?
I don't want good players to insult me by tossing me a scrap. I
want the challenge of their best game, not their charity.

Aside from that, a game like 9-ball that is won by pocketing
just 1 ball, especially on the break, is substandard.

IIRC, for the first 10 years or so of championship competition,
the 'world's greatest pool player' was decided by playing the
game Rotation [called '61' in many countries]. Since that game
is scored according to the points on the balls pocketed, one can
win by making the 4 highest ball, 12, 13, 14, 15 and any other
ball above 5. The play is like 9-ball, where the only legal OB
is the lowest numbered ball on the table but with the full rack
of 15 balls crowding the table, runouts are far less likely than
the sudden-death form of Rotation known as 9-ball.

It is said that Rotation gave way to Straight Pool as it was
thought winning a game by pocketing just 5 [larger] balls over
an opponent who pocketed 10 [smaller] balls was not a fair guage
of talent. Think of what that says about 9-Ball!

Q-Ball

Dec 31, 2001, 4:57:55 PM12/31/01
Samiel wrote:

> "Cheesing" means to shoot for the 9-ball (in 9-ball) before being on
> the 9-ball (i.e. shooting at the 1-ball to hit the 9-ball in).
> Basically if you can do it, you'll win the game (but perhaps not much
> respect).
>
> - Samiel

To the contrary, going for the 9 is the object of the game and

not doing so aggressively is laying back or going easy on your
opponent. Going easy on your opponent shows disrespect for
them, especially if they are of rather equal ability. I TRY not
to go easy even when I play ladies, particularly those that have
a good game. To do so would deny them the satisfaction of
beating me fair and square. How would it make you feel if
another player patronized you by fluffing off so you could win?
I don't want good players to insult me by tossing me a scrap. I
want the challenge of their best game, not their charity.

Aside from that, a game like 9-ball that is won by pocketing
just 1 ball, especially on the break, is substandard.

IIRC, for the first 10 years or so of championship competition,
the 'world's greatest pool player' was decided by playing the
game Rotation [called '61' in many countries]. Since that game
is scored according to the points on the balls pocketed, one can
win by making the 4 highest ball, 12, 13, 14, 15 and any other
ball above 5. The play is like 9-ball, where the only legal OB
is the lowest numbered ball on the table but with the full rack
of 15 balls crowding the table, runouts are far less likely than
the sudden-death form of Rotation known as 9-ball.

It is said that Rotation gave way to Straight Pool as it was
thought winning a game by pocketing just 5 [larger] balls over

an opponent who pocketed 10 [smaller] balls was not a fair gauge

Greg Miller

Dec 31, 2001, 5:09:57 PM12/31/01

Samiel wrote

> I'm wondering if there is a certain etiquette about cheesing
> the 9-ball.

You mean cutting the cheese?

Smorgass Bored

Jan 1, 2002, 5:46:47 AM1/1/02
(*<~ I'm not certain that I understand this concept of shooting at
the 9-ball early.

Doug
~>*(((>< Big fish eat Little fish ><)))*<~

Tubsey

Jan 1, 2002, 8:06:13 AM1/1/02
Well, I guess that would make me "vermon" then because I'd go after the
"cheese" if it's a legal shot. Reminds me of those who think "defense" is
cheating in 8 ball when it really makes the game much more interesting. If
everyone knows the rules the best player will win the majority of the games.
I think that's why a good player will always play for a longer run...

"Samiel" <sam...@samiel.com> wrote in message

Mick Storey

Jan 1, 2002, 11:51:32 AM1/1/02
Samiel,
If I play someone who slams at the 9 on every shot I feel I have a distinct
advantage. If that person is trying to ride the nine on every shot , I
feel they don't have the game needed to beat me. I like it when they go for
a combination or carom instead of a cinch run. In most cases the money ball
won't go anyway. Slop does not beat skill in the long run. It's not poor
taste to go for these combo's. The object of the game is to win, whatever it
takes.
"Mick"

Murray Tucker III

Jan 1, 2002, 3:48:24 PM1/1/02
ROTFLMAO

"Smorgass Bored" <Smorga...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Mike Templeton

Jan 2, 2002, 3:20:20 PM1/2/02
I agree with Ron. Play the percentages. If you have a 1 in 10 chance of
running the balls, and a 2 in 10 chance of making the 9 on a combination (or
carom), you will win twice as many games by playing the correct shot.

Mike

Ron wrote: > There is no etiquette aspect to it. When competing, you take

Mike Page

Jan 2, 2002, 3:43:37 PM1/2/02
In article <fQJY7.139668$lV4.23...@e420r-atl1.usenetserver.com>, "Mike
Templeton" <mi...@ametric.com> wrote:

> I agree with Ron. Play the percentages. If you have a 1 in 10 chance of
> running the balls, and a 2 in 10 chance of making the 9 on a combination (or
> carom), you will win twice as many games by playing the correct shot.
>
> Mike

Even if you decide there is a 2-in-10 chance of making the 2-9 and also a
2-in-10 chance of running out, it still may make sense to go for the
combination.

Take this table for example

START(
%BP8H4%CL5K2%DL0H9%EO3X6%FK2N6%G\6K3%HJ2M6%IH0C2%PU3K6%QH3I5
%eB9a4
)END

If you're a run out player, this is a straightforward out. But if this
out is 2-in-10 for you, then this 2-in-10 combination is a good choice.
The reason is failing the out late in the game is a sell out, while
failing the combination leaves you OK. You have to hit a stop shot at a
speed that leaves the 2-ball behind the mess of balls.

--
mike page
fargo