Would You Want to be these guys?

Ed McCune

Sep 8, 2006, 12:01:14 AM9/8/06
According to the IPT stats Ryan Keller went 0-32 with 0 B&R, Bernie Friend
(who posts at AZ) went 3-32. A few others were close to these 2. Would it
be worth it to play in a tourney such as this just to say you had even to
get beat this badly? You know you won't be back next year so this is your
15 minutes. Worth it or embarrassing? Up to them I guess to decide?

Ed

mcc...@standardab.abremove remove remove to email

-------

Bob Johnson

Sep 8, 2006, 12:22:38 AM9/8/06
Look at all the players in this tournament that went 0 for 4 and took home
$5,000. Would I be willing to get beat in 4 matches for $5,000? Why not.
I usually get beat for nothing!
--
Bob Johnson, Denver/Thornton, Co.
bo...@cris.com

"Ed McCune" <mcc...@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

Karel 'Ratty' ter Kuile

Sep 8, 2006, 3:21:25 AM9/8/06

Ed McCune schreef:

> Would it
> be worth it to play in a tourney such as this just to say you had even to
> get beat this badly?

Considering that they all have achieved a level of pool i couldn't ever
hope to reach? Well, tough one ... NOT!

Take care,

Karel

lfigueroa

Sep 8, 2006, 9:03:17 AM9/8/06
It depends on your attitude.

If you've just shown up; play; sit in your chair all pissy when you miss
and the other guy is shooting; and then go home throw your cue in the
closet and mope for a few months, then the answer is: no.

But, if the coming tournament focuses your attention and you begin to
diligently practice, work on your PSR, fortify your weak points; show up
and try your bestest to execute under the heat; study the techniques,
shot selections, and strategies of your opponents when you're in the
chair; and then go home and practice your own tournament misfires and
the shots your opponents pulled off with aplomb, then the answer is: yes.

Lou Figueroa

Dhakala

Sep 8, 2006, 10:41:35 AM9/8/06

Ed McCune wrote:
> According to the IPT stats Ryan Keller went 0-32 with 0 B&R, Bernie Friend
> (who posts at AZ) went 3-32. A few others were close to these 2. Would it
> be worth it to play in a tourney such as this just to say you had even to
> get beat this badly? You know you won't be back next year so this is your
> 15 minutes. Worth it or embarrassing? Up to them I guess to decide?

I got beaten that badly in a charity tourney several months ago. Had to
pay two entry fees just to qualify.

Before the tourney even started, Danny Medina hustled me out of a
Jackson, 7 racks to 1.

Then I was sent to the losers' bracket in my first match - by the guy
who went on to win the pool table grand prize. There, I rolled over an
APA 3, the only girl in the field. Then I got my ass handed to me.
G'night, Gracie.

When the blood dried, I paid to play Ga Young Kim, twice.
(http://www.wpba.com/cms/?pid=1004615) Beat her the second game and she
autographed a ball for me. But it's in Korean characters, so I don't
know if it says, "Congratulations!" or "You suck, I let you win."

I had a wonderful time, rubbed elbows with some fantastic players, and
I'll be back again next year. :-)

Bill O

Sep 8, 2006, 11:03:13 AM9/8/06

lfigueroa <lfig...@att.net> wrote in

> It depends on your attitude.
>

> Lou Figueroa

Exactly.
I have played in a lot of tournaments and gone "two n out" many (many)
times. also many three n out, but once in a while (rarely) I do everything
right and I play for the cash.

Losing with tthe right attitude is the best teacher. IMHO

--
Bill O - At the 5 Ball

Ed McCune

Sep 8, 2006, 5:14:00 PM9/8/06
On Sep 8 2006 8:03 AM, lfigueroa wrote:

> It depends on your attitude.

I think their attitude is more "Wow..I'm here with the Big Dogs. This is
awesome!!" Kinda their 15 min of fame. Just getting to BE THERE at the
inaugural first IPT season (regardless of what happens) has got to be
great. I was just wondering if anyone wouldn't want to do this because
they would be too embarrassed to be shellacked so publically. Personally I
would do it and do it and do it until they kicked me out of the league.

Ed

mcc...@standardab.abremove remove remove to email

Roger Orsulak

Sep 8, 2006, 7:01:24 PM9/8/06

"Dhakala" <NoPoliti...@gmail.com> wrote in message

David:
This is funny stuff. I'm sitting here reading and sipping a Negroni after a
very long, tough day. Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.
Roger - must be the Negroni....

Dan White

Sep 8, 2006, 7:44:31 PM9/8/06
"Roger Orsulak" <normo...@cox.net> wrote in message

> David:
> This is funny stuff. I'm sitting here reading and sipping a Negroni after
> very long, tough day. Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.
> Roger - must be the Negroni....

What's the funny part - the puddle of blood soaking into the carpet, or the
image of David rubbing the elbows of every top player he sees?

dwhite

Roger Orsulak

Sep 8, 2006, 7:55:01 PM9/8/06

"Dan White" <dwhi...@comcast.net> wrote in message

But it's in Korean characters, so I don't

Dan White

Sep 8, 2006, 8:16:34 PM9/8/06

> But it's in Korean characters, so I don't
> > know if it says, "Congratulations!" or "You suck, I let you win."

Agreed. I got a chuckle out of that, too.

dwhite

Ed McCune

Sep 8, 2006, 11:49:53 PM9/8/06
On Sep 7 2006 11:22 PM, Bob Johnson wrote:

> Look at all the players in this tournament that went 0 for 4 and took home
> $5,000. Would I be willing to get beat in 4 matches for $5,000? Why not.
> I usually get beat for nothing!

I guess one of the things I was thinking about was why I wouldn't apply
for membership in the IPT when it started. Simply because I'm not near
good enough and don't deserve it and many others do. So I thought I might
feel undeserving to play in a tournament like this if I couldn't cut the
mustard. Especially when there are many more deserving players out there
who could play. This isn't like the US Open where they need the entry fees
so anybody with the cash is welcome to pay and thus help out. This is what
I was thinking when I started this thread.

Would you feel undeserving and embarrassed to take up a spot from someone
else or just enjoy the limelight while you could. I have to give guys
credit for trying even if they know the ride will end after one year. I
think it takes some courage to stand up and play with the big boys like
this. There are probably many IPT wannabees thinking these guys don't
deserve to be at this tourny. I say good for them and hope they enjoy
there time in the sun.

Ed McCune

Sep 9, 2006, 11:24:56 PM9/9/06
I checked the stats on the lasts tourney (which I have spreadsheeted of
course.) and Ryan Keller went 6-32 amd Freind went 7-32. They weren't
last, though, just close to. Jim Rainey and Rafael Gonzales went 02-32.
Just an update.

Ed

----