What cue weight do most pros use?

Restie Delfin

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
I have been told that the majority of pros use a 19. Is this correct? And if
so, why?

I'm wondering what's the best cue weight to use. I know now you are going
to tell me it's what you hit best with. I know that already, but I'm
wondering if there is something more to it. Do you gain better control with
a lighter stick, or is a heavier stick more consistent? Anyone out there
with this info?

I'm thinking of getting a new stick, one for general shooting and one for
breaking. Any suggestions to weight, size, shaft thinkness? Someone told me
that a good break stick is one that is one weight lighter than what you
normally shoot with. And that it's a falacy for you to need a heavy stick
for breaking, because the key is not in the power but the speed.

Steve C. Berndt

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
FWIW, and keep in mind that I've only been playing for a year, that this
information is generally correct. I seem to break better with a lighter stick
(19oz). And trust me once again, I've studied enough Physics, the acceleration
is the key, and it's much easier to accelerate a lighter stick. I play with a
20oz.

I think (but what do I know) the reason pros, and other really good player shoot
with light sticks like 18-19oz is because they can "let their stroke out" in
order to be accurate, without hitting the ball hard (i.e. using the same "swing
action with a lighter cue send the cue ball a shorter distance, giving them
better speed control).

Now, these two statements may seem to contradict each other, but the first is a
power shot where you are accelerating, and the second is a constant speed
stroke, and it is in this second case that a heavier cue gives more speed.

I'm sure the local masters can explain better than I.

Steve

Joey

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Restie, I like a slightly heavier cue when playing one pocket on a 9 foot
table. I also like to use a heavier cue when playing on a bar box.

But when playing nine ball, I like to use a slightly lighter and "whippier"
cue.

Cues are like automobiles. There's one made special just for you. Shop
around and find one YOU like. Hit a few balls with the brand you are
interested in BEFORE you buy.
How we play the games, the muscles we have, our mental make-up, our size
(fingers, arms, height etc.) our stroke, our weight and many other factors
all play a part in what type of cue we should play with.

Perhaps 19 oz. is the most common cue weight of choice because it is the
most comfortable weight for most players.

Shop around and hit some balls until you find a cue says to you, "USE ME".

Joey

Smorgass Bored

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Joey (my hero) wrote :
Shop around and hit some balls until you find a cue that says to you,
"USE ME".
Joey

Joey,
That's exactly the same criteria that I use for WIVES............IMO
Yeehaaaaaaa !
rack-em,

Doug W.
~>*)))>< Big fish eat Little fish ><(((*<~

Joey

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Dear Rhett,
When I see Barbara, I will remember to mention that tidbit of information to
her. I am sure she will be pleased to know how you feel. Since you have
trouble expressing intimate feelings of this nature, I will help you out,
you cad.

Joey