Rockets' Chances Against Phoenix

The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get

May 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/9/95
Well, now that the Rockets have advanced, coupla things;

Congrats:
This is the first time in Rockets history that they have gotten out of
the first round 3 consecutive years. Seems like it should be better than
that, hunh? Rudy T's been the best coach the Rockets have ever had.

We seem to match up well with Utah and Phoenix: here's hoping that continues
for this round.

It's pretty obvious that, in the Rockets' case, the regular season didn't mean
much. If Drexler and Olajuwon REALLY DO work together as well as they did in
the Utah series, we really could go all the way again.

If Kenny Smith really CAN shoot threes like that, the Rockets are trouble for
anyone. The forward rotation has played well, but not spectacularly.

Olajuwon has been, of course, Olajuwon. Coupla things I betcha didn't know
about him;
1) His scoring average goes up about 3-4 ppg in the playoffs.
2) His shooting %age goes up about .015 in the playoffs; that'll increase after
last series' numbers are figured in.
3) His rebounding (won't be true this season), free-throw %age (won't be true
this season), blocks, and assists/game go up in the playoffs.
4) His scoring average DID place him at #5 on the all-time playoff list; he's
now #3, passing K Malone and Elgin Baylor in ppg.
5) If he scores 201 points against Phoenix, he'll pass Bill Russell on the all-
time playoff scoring list.
6) As regards 1-3, I can't find another player where EVERYTHING seems to
improve in the playoffs; many performed well, even spectacularly, but usually
one or 2 things improve, while everything else declines (makes sense; you're
playing the best, with more at stake, and more time for adjustments.) Any
candidates? Maybe James Worthy. Anyone else?

Caveats:

Keep Mad Max on "personal leave". The Drexler/Smith/Cassell contingent is MUCH
superior to anything with Max in it. Perhaps bring him in late in the game to
protect leads.

It'd be nice if the forwards played a little better; take some of the pressure
off of Olajuwon.

Olajuwon has to keep playing to this level; in fact, he's GOT to make his free-
throws, 'cuz I see him at the line there a lot.

Mike