You Make the CALL (NBA/NCAA draft)

mat...@pram.cs.ucla.edu

May 20, 1991, 10:47:28 AM5/20/91
Sorry to post this to both groups, but I didn't see any way around it.
The "misc" folks have already gotten touchy about these sorts of things.

OK all you future general managers out there. Now that we know the draft
order, I'm going to ask for volunteers to hold a MOCK draft. I want one
volunteer for each NBA team. Here's what volunteering makes you responsible
for:

1. Understanding the needs and requirements of your team. For example, if
you manage the Celtics, then I wouldn't expect you to choose a guard
(unless he's slow and pink :-)).

2. Understanding the college talent. There have already been a few good
articles on who is available this year. We all know about Johnson,
Anderson and Owens, and many know about Steve Smith (*) but if you're
drafting 20th, these guys aren't going to make a hill of difference.

3. You'll be expected to make your choice and send me a paragraph or two
on why you made that selection. Hopefully we'll be able to run at least
two selections a day for the next two weeks. The paragraphs are up to
you, but they might look like this:

The Gromley Purple Zits choose Bill Fenderbender as the 28th (and last)
selection of the UseNet Draft. We chose Fenderbender to shore up our
defense, which has been the weakest part of our game. Fenderbender,
a 7'2" sophomore from Gooseberry State, has a reputation as a stiff,
but can give us ten quality minutes per game before fouling out....

That said, I call for volunteers. Send me e-mail with a list of teams
you feel capable of selecting for. I'll give preference to:
a. early entrants, and
b. regular posters (e.g. John Carter has first dibs on the Rockets)

The whole thing shouldn't take more than a half-hour of your time.

P.S. I know that some of the teams don't have a pick and others (like the
Clippers) have multiple ones. If your team has several picks, you get to
make all of them. If your team has NO first round pick, then you'll get to
make a pick after all the other first-rounders are done. Everyone gets
to make at least one pick.

Matthew Merzbacher ARPA: mat...@CS.UCLA.EDU
Moo - Moo Moo UUCP: ...!{uunet|rutgers|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!matthew
FILMNET:...!jaws%exorcist!matthew@arachnophobia

Matthew Merzbacher

May 20, 1991, 12:29:30 PM5/20/91
By the way, as soon as I get a Hornets general manager, we can start.