team ever Champ in Baskets and Football

DeLane McCurry

Mar 14, 1995, 5:39:13 PM3/14/95
Just wondering if any team has ever been national champs in football
and basketball in the same year? If not, same decade? I guess we could
throw baseball in there too since its coming up. Who do you think has the
best overall football and basketball team combined? Most biasedly I got put
the Tide up there close.

Robert F. Reynolds

Mar 14, 1995, 6:28:37 PM3/14/95
In article <3k55uh$h...@b8news.b8.ingr.com>, fdmc...@b8news.b8.ingr.com
says...

Well, since you are Tide-biased (as am I), Alabama's womens gymnastics
team and the football team both won a national championship in 1992.

Robert F. Reynolds rfre...@ingr.com
Intergraph Corporation
Huntsville, Alabama 35894

cs30s

Mar 14, 1995, 8:24:12 PM3/14/95
In article <3k58r5$d...@b10.b10.ingr.com>,

Robert F. Reynolds <rfre...@ingr.com> wrote:
>In article <3k55uh$h...@b8news.b8.ingr.com>, fdmc...@b8news.b8.ingr.com
>says...
>>
>>Just wondering if any team has ever been national champs in football
>>and basketball in the same year? If not, same decade? I guess we could
>>throw baseball in there too since its coming up. Who do you think has the
>>best overall football and basketball team combined? Most biasedly I got
>put
>>the Tide up there close.
>
>Well, since you are Tide-biased (as am I), Alabama's womens gymnastics
>team and the football team both won a national championship in 1992.

Oh yeah. Well UNC's women's soccer team and women's field hockey team
have won national championships on the same DAY. Beat that:-)

Seriously, the foot/basket-ball double championship has never been done
in the same year. Oklahoma is the only school ever to play for both
championships in the same year (in Nat. Champ. game), that was in 1988
I think (Danny Manning's MVP year).
Same decade? Seems like it might have happened. UCLA some time? Ohio St.
in the '60's? Not sure.
Howard Thompson
hkt...@cory.berkeley.edu, hkt...@cimsim.berkeley.edu

Vitas Gerulaitis, concerning his victory over Jimmy Conners after
16 unsuccessful attempts:

"Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis seventeen times in a row."

David Scott Mitchell

Mar 14, 1995, 9:30:17 PM3/14/95
DeLane McCurry (fdmc...@b8news.b8.ingr.com) wrote:
: Just wondering if any team has ever been national champs in football

I have thought about this before, although just to the extent of who has
the best programs in both combined. For the last few years it has been
without a boubt Michigan. This year they fell off. Possibly Alabama or
North Carolina could be the best now. Maybe Florida. How about
Oregon!! I do not reacll any team winning the championship in both
sports in the same year, but a couple years ago, Michigan was in the NCAA
finals in basketball and also went undefeated (9-0-3) in football
including a victory over the defending national champions Washington
Huskies in the Rose Bowl. One of the best combined seasons ever.

DAVID

Michael V. Pisarczyk

Mar 15, 1995, 7:28:55 AM3/15/95
In article <3k5jfq$8...@cronkite.seas.gwu.edu>, d...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (David Scott Mitchell) says:

>I have thought about this before, although just to the extent of who has
>the best programs in both combined. For the last few years it has been
>without a boubt Michigan. This year they fell off. Possibly Alabama or
>North Carolina could be the best now. Maybe Florida. How about
>Oregon!! I do not reacll any team winning the championship in both
>sports in the same year, but a couple years ago, Michigan was in the NCAA
>finals in basketball and also went undefeated (9-0-3) in football
>including a victory over the defending national champions Washington
>Huskies in the Rose Bowl. One of the best combined seasons ever.

Plus they were in the Hockey Final Four and contended for the natn'l
title in men's (and I believe women's) swimming.

Michigan also won the NCAA championship and the Rose Bowl in the same
year (1989).

It seems like Michigan would also have to contend for the best all-
time foot/basket -ball record. They are certainly not up there in
basketball championships, but have done well; they have also won
their share of MNC's [just not that often in the last half-century
or so <grin>].

Mike Pisarczyk New and Improved mini-.sig ### ###
mvpi...@engprn.mobil.com # \/ #
The opinions expressed are the author's own.________GO_BLUE!_###__###

Brent Rogers

Mar 15, 1995, 8:45:10 AM3/15/95

Ok, if you're going to count other sports, aside from hoops and football,
Arkansas won 4 mens team SEC/NCAA championships last year.

Cross Country
Indoor Track & Field
Outdoor Track and Field
Basketball

Also, in 1978, the 11-1 football Hogs finished a few votes behind ND for the
football crown (after beating Oklahoma 31-6 in the Orange Bowl) and was in the
Final Four in hoops.

-Brent

Michael R. McGargee

Mar 15, 1995, 9:59:35 AM3/15/95
d...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (David Scott Mitchell) wrote:
>DeLane McCurry (fdmc...@b8news.b8.ingr.com) wrote:
>: Just wondering if any team has ever been national champs in football

>: and basketball in the same year? If not, same decade? I guess we could
>: throw baseball in there too since its coming up. Who do you think has the
>: best overall football and basketball team combined? Most biasedly I got put
>: the Tide up there close.

>I have thought about this before, although just to the extent of who has

>the best programs in both combined. For the last few years it has been
>without a boubt Michigan. This year they fell off. Possibly Alabama or
>North Carolina could be the best now. Maybe Florida. How about
>Oregon!! I do not reacll any team winning the championship in both
>sports in the same year, but a couple years ago, Michigan was in the NCAA
>finals in basketball and also went undefeated (9-0-3) in football
>including a victory over the defending national champions Washington
>Huskies in the Rose Bowl. One of the best combined seasons ever.

I looked at the rankings a week ago, and depending upon which polls you
looked at, it was Virginia, Alabama, and North Carolina this year. When
you throw in women's hoops (again, a week or so ago), it was Virginia, then
UNC. Over the years, I'd suspect Michigan. I remember them being
ranked #1 in hoops and football simultaneously in the 70s.

An additional bit of puffery about my alma mater-- I've gotta savor this
moment in history, because one never knows how fleeting it may be. In
addition to #12 or so football and basketball, and #10 in women's hoops,
UVa won the soccer championship and should move up to #1 in lacrosse this
week. I know-- not necessarily everybody's top 5 sports, but the only
ones I ever cared about. A damned good year.

Sorry... had to get that out of my system.

Mike Megargee | Grammar Lesson for USENET Posters:
UVa 81,82,87 | it's = it is its = belonging to it
| they're = they are their = belonging to them
| you're = you are your = belonging to you

Jon C. Sayer

Mar 15, 1995, 11:40:34 AM3/15/95

David Scott Mitchell <d...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> wrote:
>a couple years ago, Michigan was in the NCAA
>finals in basketball and also went undefeated (9-0-3) in football
>including a victory over the defending national champions Washington
>Huskies in the Rose Bowl. One of the best combined seasons ever.

Yeah, but you kissed your sister 3 times, yuck!

* Jon Sayer, Soon to be Former Grad Student * If I knew what I was doing, *
* UVA, Department of Chemical Engineering * it wouldn't be research!! *
* Please keep your opinions off my body. * - Some wise person. *
>>------> >>----->Go 'Noles! 1993 Nat. Champs (FSU '93) >>------> >>------>

Darel Chastain

Mar 15, 1995, 2:38:43 PM3/15/95
I can remember Oklahoma playing for the national title in football (lost
in OB to Miami) and basketball (lost to Kansas in final) in 1987-1988
academic year.

Darel Wade Chastain
da...@jax.jaxnet.com

brian odom

Mar 15, 1995, 9:31:24 PM3/15/95
hkt...@shapiro.CS.Berkeley.EDU (cs30s) writes:

>Oh yeah. Well UNC's women's soccer team and women's field hockey team
>have won national championships on the same DAY. Beat that:-)

damn, unc women kick ass. their basketball program (men and women) is
superb. and unc women almost always win the soccer championships.
iu has a strong men's soccer program, but keep losing in the championship
games. i think iu lost to virginia 1-0 in soccer this year, but i really
don't remember. iu may have won both soccer and basketball in 87...

>Seriously, the foot/basket-ball double championship has never been done
>in the same year. Oklahoma is the only school ever to play for both
>championships in the same year (in Nat. Champ. game), that was in 1988
>I think (Danny Manning's MVP year).
>Same decade? Seems like it might have happened. UCLA some time? Ohio St.
>in the '60's? Not sure.

seems like it would have happened. maybe ucla with all those basketball
wins would have a great shot.

--
brian odom |""| .-. |""|
bo...@cs.indiana.edu | |_.-"_-" || | [~|) | | |\ |(`~|~||\ |/`~|~ ultra

brian odom

Mar 15, 1995, 9:26:47 PM3/15/95
fdmc...@b8news.b8.ingr.com (DeLane McCurry) writes:

well, the tide would be there. also worth mentioning would be:

nebraska
oklahoma
michigan
notre dame???
texas???
miami and penn state in a few years once they build their basketball programs
north carolina still building football

DeLane McCurry

Mar 16, 1995, 11:53:47 AM3/16/95

I would have to say that UCLA ranks as a quality team in both. But as
far as the SEC goes Bama gets it traditionally and maybe Florida lately.
OSU has been good in both in the past also.

James Beauregard Kennedy

Mar 18, 1995, 5:31:34 PM3/18/95
Well,

Only one university has accomplished the following so far this year...

Football team: Bowl Game and Top 25 Ranking
Basketball team: NCAA tourney and Top 25 Ranking
Baseball team: Currently ranked in Collegiate Baseball Polls
Tennis Team: Currently ranked in the Top Ten.

Which university is this you think?

Mississippi State University, of course.

Later,

* James Beauregard Kennedy * Mississippi State Alumnus, BA '89, MA '93 *
* jken...@whale.st.usm.edu * Pursuing a Ph.D & MLIS at So. Mississippi *
*----------------------------*--------------------------------------------*
* * "When angry, count four; when very angry, *
* Kennedy means "Ugly head" * swear." *
* or "Knothead" in Gaelic. * --Mark Twain *

YOUR-U...@usc.edu

Mar 19, 1995, 9:09:01 PM3/19/95

> Only one university has accomplished the following so far this year...
>
> Football team: Bowl Game and Top 25 Ranking
> Basketball team: NCAA tourney and Top 25 Ranking
> Baseball team: Currently ranked in Collegiate Baseball Polls
> Tennis Team: Currently ranked in the Top Ten.
>
> Which university is this you think?
>
> Mississippi State University, of course.

I think most schools could do something like this in any given year, for
example, take out the basketball, add men's tennis, track, swimming,
waterpolo, volleyball, women's basketball, tennis, volleyball, swimming,
and track and you could say Southern Cal was in the top 20 for all, made
the playoffs for those with playoffs, is in the top ten for most, etc.
You get my point. By the way, UCLA has never won a national championship
in football and does not qualify for having won a nc in both football and
basketball in the same decade. (SC had a final four and fb nc in the same
year, close but not quite, it was some years ago.)
--Kirk

Matt Foley

Mar 20, 1995, 12:26:25 AM3/20/95
Michael V. Pisarczyk <mvpi...@engprn.mobil.com> wrote:
> It seems like Michigan would also have to contend for the best all-
> time foot/basket -ball record. They are certainly not up there in
> basketball championships, but have done well; they have also won
> their share of MNC's [just not that often in the last half-century
> or so <grin>].

Hey, for once ND might have the Wolves beaten at something. :-) At the
beginning of this year, ND was the only school in the top 10 on the
"all time victories" lists for *BOTH* football and basketball.

We were #2 and #10 at one point.

--
Matt Foley mfo...@darwin.cc.nd.edu
University of Notre Dame http://www.nd.edu/~mfoley3/

Arvil Hebert

Mar 20, 1995, 12:25:31 PM3/20/95
In article <3k5fjs$4...@agate.berkeley.edu>, hkt...@shapiro.CS.Berkeley.EDU (cs30s) says:

>In article <3k58r5$d...@b10.b10.ingr.com>,
>Robert F. Reynolds <rfre...@ingr.com> wrote:
>>In article <3k55uh$h...@b8news.b8.ingr.com>, fdmc...@b8news.b8.ingr.com
>>says...
>>>
>>>Just wondering if any team has ever been national champs in football
>>>and basketball in the same year? If not, same decade? I guess we could
>>>throw baseball in there too since its coming up. Who do you think has the
>>>best overall football and basketball team combined? Most biasedly I got
>>put
>>>the Tide up there close.
>>
>>Well, since you are Tide-biased (as am I), Alabama's womens gymnastics
>>team and the football team both won a national championship in 1992.
>>

>Oh yeah. Well UNC's women's soccer team and women's field hockey team
>have won national championships on the same DAY. Beat that:-)

Well, it depends on what you think beats it, but I would take Arkansas' '93-'94
National titles in basketball, cross country, indoor track and outdoor track.
4 NCAA Mens' championships in one academic year. With the '95 indoor title
already secured and the outdoor title still to be contested, Arkansas' *24*
NCAA titles in the past eleven years would be hard to beat.

JOHN CAPLE

Mar 20, 1995, 2:34:41 PM3/20/95
In <D5r1q...@news.dlr.de> arvil....@dlr.de (Arvil Hebert) writes:

>Well, it depends on what you think beats it, but I would take Arkansas'
'93-'94
>National titles in basketball, cross country, indoor track and outdoor
track.
>4 NCAA Mens' championships in one academic year. With the '95 indoor
title
>already secured and the outdoor title still to be contested, Arkansas'
*24*
>NCAA titles in the past eleven years would be hard to beat.

In 93-94 Stanford won titles in mens swimming, womens swimming, womens
volleyball, mens water polo and I believe gymnastics of some type.

Stanford has won 5 titles a year for about the last ten years. We won
the mens & womens tennis title about ten years in a row. Mens baseball
and women basketball are perenial title contenders. UCLA or USC used to
hold the record for the most championships all time but I believe we
passed them up a couple of years ago.

Go Cardinal!!!!!

YOUR-U...@usc.edu

Mar 20, 1995, 2:49:09 PM3/20/95

> Stanford has won 5 titles a year for about the last ten years. We won
> the mens & womens tennis title about ten years in a row. Mens baseball
> and women basketball are perenial title contenders. UCLA or USC used to
> hold the record for the most championships all time but I believe we
> passed them up a couple of years ago.
>
> Go Cardinal!!!!!
Nope, keep trying though. We are still well ahead of the Farm. (Although
you guys did win 40 some titles in the 80's) 'SC can make similar claims
to having won the track title for 14 straight years (granted it was a
while ago), and won 5 straight, and 7 of 10 baseball titles, something
that no team has come close to doing.
--Kirk

Edward Hoffman

Mar 20, 1995, 4:51:10 PM3/20/95
In article <3kklch$n...@ixnews1.ix.netcom.com>, jca...@ix.netcom.com (JOHN CAPLE) writes:
|> In 93-94 Stanford won titles in mens swimming, womens swimming, womens
|> volleyball, mens water polo and I believe gymnastics of some type.
|>
|> Stanford has won 5 titles a year for about the last ten years. We won
|> the mens & womens tennis title about ten years in a row. Mens baseball
|> and women basketball are perenial title contenders. UCLA or USC used to
|> hold the record for the most championships all time but I believe we
|> passed them up a couple of years ago.

This is almost as bad as those F$U types who pick a weak conference to win a
title. Only you guys pick the unknown sports in which few participate. :^)

Go Gators!
Ed

Demitrius L. Brown

Mar 21, 1995, 12:58:36 AM3/21/95

You can say what you want about volleyball, lacrosse, and others,
but Mississippi State University is the only NCAA Division 1A school with
all 3 major men's teams ranked in the top 25. Fact!!!!!!!!!!!

It may be hard for the rest of the country to believe, but a
school with a 41,000 seat football stadium, a 10,000 seat basketball
arena, and the largest on-campus baseball facility in America (20,000) has
one the nation's best athletic programs.

A university with 13,371 students not the mega-schools with in
excess of 40,000 students and athletic budgets in the $20 million range
is showing the country how to win.

Jeffrey N. Burch

Mar 21, 1995, 10:32:41 AM3/21/95
In article <3kmgqg$c...@t2.mscf.uky.edu> acwi...@nx12.mik.uky.edu (angelo c
witten) writes:
>In article <1995Mar15....@news.cs.indiana.edu> "brian odom"
><bo...@banana.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
>> fdmc...@b8news.b8.ingr.com (DeLane McCurry) writes:
>>
>> >Just wondering if any team has ever been national champs in
>football
>> >and basketball in the same year?
>
>Kentucky did it back in the 1950's when they had both Adolph Rupp and
>Bear Bryant coaching here.

Negative - UK has never won an NCAA football championship. Bryant's best
year at Kentucky was in 1950 when he went 11-1 after winning the Sugar Bowl
against Oklahoma (which was played on NYD in 1951, I guess). But Tennessee
won the national championship via AP polling that season (they were not only
undefeated, they were the only school to beat UK). Kentucky did not win a
basketball championship in 1949-50, but they did in 1950-51 anyway.

>Bear Bryant left after that year because
>he felt underappreciated and went to Alabama. The story goes that
>year that Rupp got a Cadillac and Bryant got a cigar.

I heard it was a cigarette lighter they gave Bryant, but your point is
the same.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^ Dr. J(effrey Neil Burch) jb...@prism.gatech.edu ^
^ Georgia Tech Research Institute ^
^ Electro-Optics, Environment, and Materials Laboratory ^
^ Atlanta, Ga. ^
^ 30332 No gnus is good gnus. ^
^ 404-894-0149 ^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

JOHN CAPLE

Mar 21, 1995, 11:23:13 AM3/21/95
In <3kktce$r...@tesuque.cs.sandia.gov> elh...@sass577.endo.sandia.gov
(Edward Hoffman) writes:

Hey Ed-
I would be willing to bet that Florida competes in almost every sport in
which we have won the national championship. We are just a lot better
at these sports than you are. Unlike certain Florida teams, Stanford
actually has academic standards that hurt us in the "major sports" where
all the kids care about is going pro. Stop being such a poor sport and
congradulate a school that stresses both academis and atheletic
excellence.

Shalin Patel

Mar 21, 1995, 11:39:58 AM3/21/95
In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950320...@Isis.MsState.Edu>

Demitrius L. Brown, dl...@Ra.MsState.Edu writes:

> You can say what you want about volleyball, lacrosse, and others,
>but Mississippi State University is the only NCAA Division 1A school
with
>all 3 major men's teams ranked in the top 25. Fact!!!!!!!!!!!

You have all 3 major men's teams ranked in the top 25 nationally?
Wow...I didn't even know MSU had a hockey team.

---
Shalin Patel
pat...@umich.edu

Dr. Death

Mar 21, 1995, 11:48:39 AM3/21/95
In article <3kmuhh$q...@ixnews1.ix.netcom.com> jca...@ix.netcom.com (JOHN CAPLE) writes:

>Hey Ed-
>I would be willing to bet that Florida competes in almost every sport in
>which we have won the national championship. We are just a lot better
>at these sports than you are.

Prove it, pasty boy.

>Unlike certain Florida teams, Stanford
>actually has academic standards that hurt us in the "major sports" where
>all the kids care about is going pro.

Two words: Kristen Folkl. Or does Janet Evans ring a bell?

>Stop being such a poor sport and
>congradulate a school that stresses both academis and atheletic
>excellence.

Okay. Way to go Florida! :)

-- Dr.D

JOHN CAPLE

Mar 21, 1995, 1:41:16 PM3/21/95
In <3kn017$7...@huron.eel.ufl.edu> mar...@grove.ufl.edu (Dr. Death)
writes:

>In article <3kmuhh$q...@ixnews1.ix.netcom.com> jca...@ix.netcom.com
(JOHN CAPLE) writes:

>>Hey Ed-
>>I would be willing to bet that Florida competes in almost every sport
in
>>which we have won the national championship. We are just a lot better
>>at these sports than you are.
>
>Prove it, pasty boy.

While I am not a Florida sports expert, I would be willing to bet that
you have mens & womens swimming, mens and womens tennis, womens
volleyball, womens basketball, mens baseball. The only sports were you
might not field a team are water polo and gymnasitcs.

>>Unlike certain Florida teams, Stanford
>>actually has academic standards that hurt us in the "major sports"
where
>>all the kids care about is going pro.
>
>Two words: Kristen Folkl. Or does Janet Evans ring a bell?

As far as I know Kristen Folkl is playing on the US National team
preparing for the Olympics. I believe that once she is done she will
return to Stanford and win three more national titles. Janet Evans left
Stanford because Summer Sanders was kicking her ass in the pool every
day. She did not go pro and is taking classes at UT. Summer did go pro
and try to earn a little money off her olympic success. The only other
atheletes I have ever heard of going pro are tennis players such as John
McEnroe (sp?) and baseball players after their junior year.

Contrast this to most Florida football players who probably can't read.
By the way, Stanford football players had an average SAT of 1100, higher
that the whole student body and Florida and the highest of any Div I
football program.

I will repeat myself:

D.F.

Mar 21, 1995, 1:46:32 PM3/21/95
In article <3kklch$n...@ixnews1.ix.netcom.com> JOHN CAPLE,

jca...@ix.netcom.com writes:
>Stanford has won 5 titles a year for about the last ten years. We won
>the mens & womens tennis title about ten years in a row. Mens baseball
>and women basketball are perenial title contenders. UCLA or USC used to
>hold the record for the most championships all time but I believe we
>passed them up a couple of years ago.

Nope. UCLA still holds the record for most championships. Stanford is,
however, tied with UCLA for most championships in a season.

Thomas E. Wilkins

Mar 21, 1995, 2:42:58 PM3/21/95

No offense, but wait until Thursday night in Oakland. If MSU comes up with a
big upset, then you can be the first to crow.

-Tom W.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 21, 1995, 3:48:53 PM3/21/95
James Beauregard Kennedy (jken...@whale.st.usm.edu) wrote:
: Well,

: Only one university has accomplished the following so far this year...

: Football team: Bowl Game and Top 25 Ranking
: Basketball team: NCAA tourney and Top 25 Ranking
: Baseball team: Currently ranked in Collegiate Baseball Polls
: Tennis Team: Currently ranked in the Top Ten.

: Which university is this you think?

: Mississippi State University, of course.

You forgot that State also holds the record for being the only college in
Starkville MS. At least this was true when I went through there in June 1994.
I'll check again in June 1995 on my way to Greenville.
Am I right Mr. Boswell?

Hugh

Steven Kirkwood

Mar 21, 1995, 11:16:09 PM3/21/95
James Beauregard Kennedy (jken...@whale.st.usm.edu) wrote:
> Only one university has accomplished the following so far this year...

> Football team: Bowl Game and Top 25 Ranking
> Basketball team: NCAA tourney and Top 25 Ranking
> Baseball team: Currently ranked in Collegiate Baseball Polls
> Tennis Team: Currently ranked in the Top Ten.

> Which university is this you think?

> Mississippi State University, of course.

> Later,

Hate to burst your bubble, but the University of Virginia has been ranked
#1 in 5 SPORTS in ONE YEAR!! 1990 (Football, Men's Soccer, Women's
Soccer, Women's Lacrosse and Men's Lacrosse I THINK(?))
BTW, our baseball team sucks so we will never do the FB, BB, BB thing ;-)

--
Steven Kirkwood "All I know, you got to run to win, and
Mississippi College I'll be damned if I get caught up on the line"

Steven Kirkwood

Mar 21, 1995, 11:22:26 PM3/21/95
Demitrius L. Brown (dl...@Ra.MsState.Edu) wrote:
> It may be hard for the rest of the country to believe, but a
> school with a 41,000 seat football stadium, a 10,000 seat basketball
> arena, and the largest on-campus baseball facility in America (20,000) has
> one the nation's best athletic programs.

> A university with 13,371 students not the mega-schools with in
> excess of 40,000 students and athletic budgets in the $20 million range
> is showing the country how to win.

I have another post about this, but look at the University of Virginia.
45,000 seat football stadium, 8,600 seat basketball arena (this is NOT a
typo, an ACC school with only 8,600) and a baseball team that sucks. BUT,
calling baseball a major sport is true only in select regions of the
country. UVa does have a 10,000 seat soccer stadium that is THE best in
the country.
Oh yeah, 11,000 undergraduate students and one of the only athletic
departments operating in the black (I think we were one of nine at last
count in d1-a). And let's not forget, academics to boot (and other great
academic schools are doing it too [UNC, Dook, Stanford to name a few]).

Dr. Death

Mar 22, 1995, 12:51:57 AM3/22/95
In article <3kn6kc$e...@ixnews2.ix.netcom.com> jca...@ix.netcom.com (JOHN CAPLE) writes:
>In <3kn017$7...@huron.eel.ufl.edu> mar...@grove.ufl.edu (Dr. Death)
>writes:
>

>While I am not a Florida sports expert, I would be willing to bet that

>you have mens & womens swimming, mens and womens tennis, womens
>volleyball, womens basketball, mens baseball. The only sports were you
>might not field a team are water polo and gymnasitcs.

You are correct, sir. You still haven't proven that your teams are better
than ours. I will certainly concede Women's Basketball as we have had no
success. Our volleyball program is on the rise, but does not have the titles
yet. Otherwise, we're right on par with you.

>As far as I know Kristen Folkl is playing on the US National team
>preparing for the Olympics. I believe that once she is done she will
>return to Stanford and win three more national titles.

Care to make a wager on that?
I belive Aycan Gokberk, Julie Stanhope, Missy Aggert et al. will have
something to say about that.

>Contrast this to most Florida football players who probably can't read.
>By the way, Stanford football players had an average SAT of 1100, higher
>that the whole student body and Florida and the highest of any Div I
>football program.

Boy, make some more generalizations why don't you?
Florida's latest average student body SAT is 1180, thank you very much.
And the football program, which you say is consisted mostly of players
who can't read, has produced 105 Academic honor roll athletes since
1980.

>I will repeat myself:
>>>Stop being such a poor sport and
>>>congradulate a school that stresses both academis and atheletic
>>>excellence.

And I will repeat myself. Way to go Florida!

-- Dr.D

JOHN CAPLE

Mar 22, 1995, 10:02:37 AM3/22/95
In <3kodtt$p...@huron.eel.ufl.edu> mar...@grove.ufl.edu (Dr. Death)
writes:

>In article <3kn6kc$e...@ixnews2.ix.netcom.com> jca...@ix.netcom.com
(JOHN CAPLE) writes:
>>In <3kn017$7...@huron.eel.ufl.edu> mar...@grove.ufl.edu (Dr. Death)
>>writes:
>>

>>While I am not a Florida sports expert, I would be willing to bet that
>>you have mens & womens swimming, mens and womens tennis, womens
>>volleyball, womens basketball, mens baseball. The only sports were
you
>>might not field a team are water polo and gymnasitcs.
>
>You are correct, sir. You still haven't proven that your teams are
better
>than ours. I will certainly concede Women's Basketball as we have had
no
>success. Our volleyball program is on the rise, but does not have the
titles
>yet. Otherwise, we're right on par with you.

Lets analyze these programs one by one. We have won both the mens and
womens swimming titles 3 or 4 years in a row. Over half the 92 Olympic
team was from Stanford. I think it is safe to say that we have a better
program than Florida.

Mens and Womens Tennis - I know that Florida won 1 or 2 recent womens
tennis championships but that is all I am aware of. Stanford won both
the mens and womens title about 7 years in a row ending in 1992.
Combined our programs have about 20 titles and alumni such as John
MacEnroe. Currrently our program is rebuilding which means somebody
actually has a chance to beat us. I think its safe to say we are
stronger than Florida.

Womens Volleyball - We won titles in both 94 & 92. Our team lost one
match this year with one starter that will graduate. We have recruited
the High School POY for 7 years in a row. I don't know alot about
Florida volleyball but I do know that a California team has won the
title as far back as I can remember. Whether your program is rebuilding
or not, its safe to say we are much stronger right now.

Womens Basketball - you have already conceded this but we are hoping for
another title this year.

Mens Baseball - We have won 2 titles in the last ten years and entered
the season rated #1. The team has struggled this year but we are hoping
for the best. I know nothing about the Florida program but I don't
remeber them ever winning a title. Edge to Stanford.

Mens Golf - A program I forgot to mention but one in which we won the
national titel last year. This year we recruited a freshman by the name
of Tiger Woods and hope to win the title again. Edge to Stanford.

I might also mention that ours mens hoop team (the subject of this news
group) went to the 2nd round of the tourney this year while Florida lost
in the first. (You don't need to remind me of last year.)

I believe that I have proved my point that these programs are stronger
than Florida's

>>As far as I know Kristen Folkl is playing on the US National team
>>preparing for the Olympics. I believe that once she is done she will
>>return to Stanford and win three more national titles.
>
>Care to make a wager on that?
>I belive Aycan Gokberk, Julie Stanhope, Missy Aggert et al. will have
>something to say about that.

Do you actually watch this sport or are you just blowing smoke? Have
you seen Fokl play? I will wager whatever you want, but make it big!!!!

I summation, you don't know the first thing about Stanford sports.
Florida may have a fine program, but in the non-revenue sports Stanford
is simply the best. After the first week in the 92 Olympics, if
Stanford had been a country we would have been fourth in the medal
count.

J.J.Clyde

Mar 22, 1995, 12:23:06 PM3/22/95
(JOHN CAPLE) writes:

>(Dr. Death) writes:
>

>>You are correct, sir. You still haven't proven that your teams are better
>>than ours. I will certainly concede Women's Basketball as we have had no
>>success. Our volleyball program is on the rise, but does not have the titles
>>yet. Otherwise, we're right on par with you.
>
>Lets analyze these programs one by one. We have won both the mens and
>womens swimming titles 3 or 4 years in a row. Over half the 92 Olympic
>team was from Stanford. I think it is safe to say that we have a better
>program than Florida.
>
>Mens and Womens Tennis -

5-2.

--J.J.

Dr. Death

Mar 22, 1995, 1:17:27 PM3/22/95
In article <3kpe6d$7...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> jca...@ix.netcom.com (JOHN CAPLE) writes:
>In <3kodtt$p...@huron.eel.ufl.edu> mar...@grove.ufl.edu (Dr. Death)
>writes:

>Lets analyze these programs one by one. We have won both the mens and

>womens swimming titles 3 or 4 years in a row. Over half the 92 Olympic
>team was from Stanford. I think it is safe to say that we have a better
>program than Florida.

Not so fast. 3 or four years in a row? Big deal. Who dominated the
70s and 80s in men's and women's swimming? I'll tell you who. Florida.
Even with half the team defecting after Mitch Ivey's firing, Florida has
still consistently placed in the top 3 in swimming EACH YEAR.

>I know nothing about the Florida program but I don't

I think this statement pretty much sums up your whole arguements.
It's amazing what a cardinal-colored world you live in where just because
you're Stanford, you're automatically better than everyone else.

>I might also mention that ours mens hoop team (the subject of this news
>group)

This is r.s.b.c? Thanks for the insight Mr. SAT's.

>Do you actually watch this sport or are you just blowing smoke?

Yes, I have. I do not smoke.

>Have
>you seen Fokl play? I will wager whatever you want, but make it big!!!!

Yes, I have. I saw Mrs. All-Everything when Stanford visited Gainesville.
In my opinion, Cary Wendell and Marnie Triefenbach were better players
on the team. Folkl only played rotations in games one and two, with parts in
four. Unlike the rest of r.s.v. and the Stanford folks, I do not subscribe
to the theory that Kristen is the greatest thing since sliced bread and
just because she played on the USA team and can dunk a basketball we should
automatically crown her the Best Volleyball Player in the nation.

>I summation, you don't know the first thing about Stanford sports.

In summation, you don't know the first thing about Florida sports.

>Florida may have a fine program, but in the non-revenue sports Stanford
>is simply the best. After the first week in the 92 Olympics, if
>Stanford had been a country we would have been fourth in the medal
>count.

Florida would have been sixth at the END of the Olympics as a nation.

-- Dr.D

Dr. Death

Mar 22, 1995, 1:22:52 PM3/22/95
In article <3ko8a9$k...@csc.mc.edu> kirk...@csc.mc.edu (Steven Kirkwood) writes:

>Hate to burst your bubble, but the University of Virginia has been ranked
>#1 in 5 SPORTS in ONE YEAR!! 1990 (Football, Men's Soccer, Women's
>Soccer, Women's Lacrosse and Men's Lacrosse I THINK(?))
>BTW, our baseball team sucks so we will never do the FB, BB, BB thing ;-)

Yea, but your baseball team took one from Florida State last week.
I guess everyone gets to take one from them this year.
Well, except for Miami. :)

-- Dr.D

Bryan Fritchie

Mar 23, 1995, 9:25:10 AM3/23/95
jca...@ix.netcom.com (JOHN CAPLE) writes:

You say they've won 5 titles a year, but you don't tell what sports
they are in. If you want us to accept what you say, AT LEAST back it up
with some sort of facts.

Bryan

Bryan Fritchie

Mar 23, 1995, 9:28:43 AM3/23/95
Shalin Patel <pat...@umich.edu> writes:

>---
>Shalin Patel
>pat...@umich.edu

You go to Michigan, so I guess we will overlook your ignorance
THIS time, but in the United States, Hockey is not one of the top
3 sports. Basketball, Football and baseball are the top 3, although
I believe Hockey would probably be 4th. (Assuming we are ranking
TEAM sports....)

Bryan

j mike minihan

Mar 23, 1995, 9:50:10 AM3/23/95
In article <brown.18-1...@dj.pr.nd.edu>, brow...@nd.edu (dennis brown) writes:
|> In article <3k9qer$7...@b8news.b8.ingr.com>, fdmc...@b8news.b8.ingr.com
|> (DeLane McCurry) wrote:

|> Notre Dame's 1977 football team won the national championship and its
|> 1977-78 basketball team reached the Final Four, losing in the semifinal to
|> Duke and in the old consolation game to Arkansas.

In 1986, Oklahoma played for the nat'l championship in the Orange Bowl, and
the basketball team played in the nat'l championship final game for basketball.
They did lose both; Football to Miami, and basketball to Kansas. However, I
know of no other team that has ever done that.

--
____
/ __ \__

JOHN CAPLE

Mar 23, 1995, 10:12:36 AM3/23/95
In <3kppjn$c...@huron.eel.ufl.edu> mar...@grove.ufl.edu (Dr. Death)
writes:

>In article <3kpe6d$7...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> jca...@ix.netcom.com
(JOHN CAPLE) writes:
>>In <3kodtt$p...@huron.eel.ufl.edu> mar...@grove.ufl.edu (Dr. Death)
>>writes:
>
>>Lets analyze these programs one by one. We have won both the mens and
>>womens swimming titles 3 or 4 years in a row. Over half the 92
Olympic
>>team was from Stanford. I think it is safe to say that we have a
better
>>program than Florida.
>
>Not so fast. 3 or four years in a row? Big deal. Who dominated the
>70s and 80s in men's and women's swimming? I'll tell you who.
Florida.
>Even with half the team defecting after Mitch Ivey's firing, Florida
has
>still consistently placed in the top 3 in swimming EACH YEAR.

I thought we were taliking about now. Either way, I am not expert in
Florida sports in the 70s and 80s. All I know is that Stanford has
dominated swimming for the past 3 or 4 years. Do you know who won the
title this year? I think it was decided in the last few weeks.

>>I know nothing about the Florida program but I don't
>
>I think this statement pretty much sums up your whole arguements.
>It's amazing what a cardinal-colored world you live in where just
because
>you're Stanford, you're automatically better than everyone else.

I post a long analysis program by program in order to give you more
information about Stanford sports and you take one little bit completely
out of context. I don't know alot about Florida sports and you probably
don't know a lot about Stanford sports. At least I am willing to admit
that I am not all knowing.

>>I might also mention that ours mens hoop team (the subject of this
news
>>group)
>
>This is r.s.b.c? Thanks for the insight Mr. SAT's.

Real cute snide remark fuckhead.

>>Do you actually watch this sport or are you just blowing smoke?
>
>Yes, I have. I do not smoke.
>
>>Have
>>you seen Fokl play? I will wager whatever you want, but make it
big!!!!

>Yes, I have. I saw Mrs. All-Everything when Stanford visited
Gainesville.
>In my opinion, Cary Wendell and Marnie Triefenbach were better players
>on the team. Folkl only played rotations in games one and two, with
parts in
>four. Unlike the rest of r.s.v. and the Stanford folks, I do not
subscribe
>to the theory that Kristen is the greatest thing since sliced bread and
>just because she played on the USA team and can dunk a basketball we
should
>automatically crown her the Best Volleyball Player in the nation.

I got to see the womens team play five or six times this year. Fokl was
absolutely awesome. She is head and shoulders above past Stanford
national team players such as Bev Oden and Kristen Klein. Take the time
to see her again because I think yo will be impressed

>>I summation, you don't know the first thing about Stanford sports.
>
>In summation, you don't know the first thing about Florida sports.

You are right.

>>Florida may have a fine program, but in the non-revenue sports
Stanford
>>is simply the best. After the first week in the 92 Olympics, if
>>Stanford had been a country we would have been fourth in the medal
>>count.
>
>Florida would have been sixth at the END of the Olympics as a nation.

I don't know where Stanford would have ended up, I just had the midway
figure. You didn't respond to my anlysis of the other seven or eight
progams so I will just assume you agree with me. This year we will once
again try to break our own record of five national titles in one year.
Wish us Luck!?!?!?!?!

Dr. Death

Mar 23, 1995, 10:27:39 AM3/23/95
In article <3ks354$6...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> jca...@ix.netcom.com (JOHN CAPLE) writes:
>In <3kppjn$c...@huron.eel.ufl.edu> mar...@grove.ufl.edu (Dr. Death)
>writes:

>>>I might also mention that ours mens hoop team (the subject of this

>news
>>>group)
>>This is r.s.b.c? Thanks for the insight Mr. SAT's.
>
>Real cute snide remark fuckhead.

Well that's enough of that. Been nice hooking you, John, but now you're
just turning abusive. Such language. Is that part of your 1100 SAT
vocabulary over there in Cal-i-fornia?

By the way, this is rec.sport.college.football, in case you haven't notice.

Thank you and good day.

-- Dr.D

John Ryan

Mar 23, 1995, 1:14:35 PM3/23/95
JOHN CAPLE <jca...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>mar...@grove.ufl.edu (Dr. Death) writes:
>
>>This is r.s.b.c? Thanks for the insight Mr. SAT's.
>
>Real cute snide remark fuckhead.

I think any argument you had up until this point just went right
out the window. I am definitely *not* a fan of the Gator program,
but you just lost the argument with this childish name-calling.

I may be going out on a limb, but I think I'm not the only one to
think this...
--
Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey...
Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right there, in the

Daniel Stuart Peters

Mar 23, 1995, 2:08:02 PM3/23/95
In article <3ks41b$a...@huron.eel.ufl.edu>,

Dr. Death <mar...@grove.ufl.edu> wrote:
>In article <3ks354$6...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> jca...@ix.netcom.com (JOHN CAPLE) writes:

>>news
>>>This is r.s.b.c? Thanks for the insight Mr. SAT's.
>>
>>Real cute snide remark fuckhead.
>
>Well that's enough of that. Been nice hooking you, John, but now you're
>just turning abusive. Such language. Is that part of your 1100 SAT
>vocabulary over there in Cal-i-fornia?

1100 SAT?! You can't get into Stanford with that low a score!!!!!
How dare you insult us you %*$@!P!!!!!

>By the way, this is rec.sport.college.football, in case you haven't notice.
>
>Thank you and good day.
>
>-- Dr.D

Methinks, some people are too bitter towards Stanford. I do know that there
are a lot of f*ckhead's here though.

JOHN CAPLE

Mar 23, 1995, 5:46:00 PM3/23/95

Last year: mens & womens swimming, mens water polo, mens golf, and one
more that is slipping my memory.

Other recent champions include womens volleyball, mens & womens
gymnastics, mens and womens tennis, womens basketball and baseball.

Dr. Death

Mar 23, 1995, 10:01:27 PM3/23/95
In article <3ksgui$2...@elaine19.Stanford.EDU> the...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Daniel Stuart Peters) writes:
>In article <3ks41b$a...@huron.eel.ufl.edu>,
>Dr. Death <mar...@grove.ufl.edu> wrote:

>>just turning abusive. Such language. Is that part of your 1100 SAT
>>vocabulary over there in Cal-i-fornia?
>
>1100 SAT?! You can't get into Stanford with that low a score!!!!!

John said that the Stanford football team averaged an 1100 SAT.
Talk to him. :)

>Methinks, some people are too bitter towards Stanford. I do know that there
>are a lot of f*ckhead's here though.

Bitter? Maybe.

Well, yeah, actually.

But not about Stanford. :)

-- Dr.D

Greg Rice

Mar 24, 1995, 3:40:48 PM3/24/95
In article <3ks1r2$3...@lm1.oryx.com>, xcp...@oryx.com (j mike minihan) says:
>In 1986, Oklahoma played for the nat'l championship in the Orange Bowl, and
>the basketball team played in the nat'l championship final game for basketball.
>They did lose both; Football to Miami, and basketball to Kansas. However, I
>know of no other team that has ever done that.
>
>--
> ____
> / __ \__
> / / / / /
> / / / / / Mike Minihan mike.m...@oryx.com
> \ __/ /
> \____/

Actually that was 1988, we became known as Chokelahoma.

Greg Rice

Edward Cometz

Mar 27, 1995, 5:27:04 PM3/27/95

:
:
:
[flame war between UF and Stanford deleted]
:
:
:

I think that the guy from UF is mad at the guy from Stanford because
Stanford is where Terry Bowden used to coach football.....

JOHN CAPLE

Mar 28, 1995, 10:48:24 AM3/28/95
In <Pine.Sola.3.91.95032...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> "Boyd M.
Reed" <bm-...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> writes:

>On Mon, 27 Mar 1995, Scott Alan Johnston wrote:
>
>> Ooooooohhhhh.....Baseball and Tennis???? So what, dude????
>>
>> How about this:
>>
>> Basketball: Elite 8....yes 8..
>> Football: Bowl Victory and #15 in the nation
>> Soccer: Nat'l Champs four straight years
>> Men's Lacrosse: #2 in the nation
>> Women's Lacrosse: #3 in the nation
>> Women's Basketball: Elite 8....yep...(lost to
>> UCONN...undefeated team at UCONN)
>> Men and Women's Polo: Nat'l Champions
>>
>> So...who is Mississippi State????
>>
>> We love our Wahoos here in Virginia baby!!!!!
>>

>No disrespect to the University of Virginia, but we could say the same
>about lacrosse and water polo. ;) ;)
>
>-bmr-

He's not even talking about water polo, but about the kind where grown
men play golf from horses. I didn't know even a single college had this
as a varsity sport. It certainly isn't sanctioned by the NCAA.

Note: Stanford won the mens water polo championship and there isn't one
for women :-)

Scott Alan Johnston

Mar 27, 1995, 6:16:33 PM3/27/95

Edward Cometz

Mar 28, 1995, 4:10:54 PM3/28/95

:In article <3l9dsj$a...@mailer.fsu.edu>,
:efla...@garnet.acns.fsu.edu (Edward Flaherty) writes:

:> > I think that the guy from UF is mad at the guy from Stanford because

:> > Stanford is where Terry Bowden used to coach football.....

:>
:> I believe it was Samford, not Stanford. Auburn is T. Bowden's
:> first attempt at I-A ball.
:>
:>
> --

It sure is E-Z to do sum fishin' when those Noles keep
jumpin' right in the boat!

cha-ching!

Boyd M. Reed

Mar 27, 1995, 9:32:33 PM3/27/95
On Mon, 27 Mar 1995, Scott Alan Johnston wrote:

No disrespect to the University of Virginia, but we could say the same

about lacrosse and water polo. ;) ;)

-bmr-

*Boyd M. Reed bm-...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu LAS-Political Science/Mathematics*
*305 Oglesby bm-...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu 217/332-5117 (H) 217/333-9024 (W)*
* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign *
* - CCSO Site Consultant - *
* :) The brilliant opinions expressed above are obviously not CCSO's. :) *

David E. Moriarty

Mar 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/29/95

From: david....@iac.gatech.edu (David Herring)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.basketball.college,rec.sport.football.college
Date: 29 Mar 1995 21:39:54 GMT

In article <D67yC...@Virginia.EDU>, sa...@Virginia.EDU (Scott Alan
Johnston) wrote:
> Champs, so stop being jealous of our school...Stanford?? How
> many Nat'l Champs do they usually have that don't involve
> swimming around in a pool....

I believe that Stanford is still one of the dominating schools in tennis
every year. Last time I played I think it was on dry land. .02 worth.

They also have the number 1 amatuer golf player: Tiger Woods,
excellent volleyball, and track and field teams.

Take a look at the Sports Illustrated All-Sports rankings. You'll see
that Virginia doesn't even come close to Stanford.

Dave

Scott Alan Johnston

Mar 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/29/95
Just because your school doesn't have the necessary skill level
to compete in Division I athletics, doesn't mean you need to
try to crack on mine...First of all, there were PLENTY of our
sports that UVA excelled in, and some we utterly dominated. The
Polo comment was basically a joke, but we still have the Nat'l

Champs, so stop being jealous of our school...Stanford?? How
many Nat'l Champs do they usually have that don't involve
swimming around in a pool.....Not many..I'd much rather play a
"Gentleman's Game" like Polo, than wear funny caps and tread
water for hours on end....Wouldn't you?????

Have a good one.....

David Herring

Mar 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/29/95
Johnston) wrote:
> Champs, so stop being jealous of our school...Stanford?? How
> many Nat'l Champs do they usually have that don't involve
> swimming around in a pool....

I believe that Stanford is still one of the dominating schools in tennis
every year. Last time I played I think it was on dry land. .02 worth.

--
Dave Herring

david....@iac.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech -Ivan Allen College

Wesley M Snow

Mar 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/29/95
>> Ooooooohhhhh.....Baseball and Tennis???? So what, dude????
>>
>> How about this:
>>
>> Basketball: Elite 8....yes 8..
>> Football: Bowl Victory and #15 in the nation
>> Soccer: Nat'l Champs four straight years
>> Men's Lacrosse: #2 in the nation
>> Women's Lacrosse: #3 in the nation
>> Women's Basketball: Elite 8....yep...(lost to
>> UCONN...undefeated team at UCONN)
>> Men and Women's Polo: Nat'l Champions
>>
>> So...who is Mississippi State????
>>
>> We love our Wahoos here in Virginia baby!!!!!

Yet another post by yet another disrespectful Wahoo fan. When are these
Virginia people going to learn. Half of those sports aren't even sports played
by half of the schools in the nation. Lacrosse, Soccer, Polo???? These don't
even count as sports here in the Southeastern Conference. By the way Virginia,
Tennessee can 1-UP that. We finish in the Top 10 in the All-Sports competition
every year. I don't recall seeing Virginia there. Give Mississippi State
their due. They operate on a low athletic budget and have been reasonable
successful in the last few years.

Wes Snow
Tennessee Tech University
Go Vols!

Edward Flaherty

Mar 28, 1995, 11:35:31 AM3/28/95
com...@cis.ufl.edu (Edward Cometz) writes:
> I think that the guy from UF is mad at the guy from Stanford because
> Stanford is where Terry Bowden used to coach football.....

I believe it was Samford, not Stanford. Auburn is T. Bowden's

first attempt at I-A ball.

--
Edward Flaherty
Department of Economics
Florida State University
efla...@garnet.acns.fsu.edu

Med Student

Mar 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/30/95
In article <1995Mar29.1...@atlas.tntech.edu>, wms...@tntech.edu
(Wesley M Snow) wrote:

> >> Ooooooohhhhh.....Baseball and Tennis???? So what, dude????
> >>
> >> How about this:
> >>
> >> Basketball: Elite 8....yes 8..
> >> Football: Bowl Victory and #15 in the nation
> >> Soccer: Nat'l Champs four straight years
> >> Men's Lacrosse: #2 in the nation
> >> Women's Lacrosse: #3 in the nation
> >> Women's Basketball: Elite 8....yep...(lost to
> >> UCONN...undefeated team at UCONN)
> >> Men and Women's Polo: Nat'l Champions
> >>
> >> So...who is Mississippi State????
> >>
> >> We love our Wahoos here in Virginia baby!!!!!

Virginia's women's marbles team is perennially tough, too. Oh, and how
could the poster have forgotten their nationally ranked syncronized
swimming team? I understand that the solitaire team is one the way up.

Women's lacrosse, indeed!

Tommy Trojan

Mar 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/30/95

> Nope. UCLA still holds the record for most championships. Stanford is,
> however, tied with UCLA for most championships in a season.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but USC is still the leader in national
championships. The men have 76 and the women 13 (women only since 1976)
And USC has also been crowned NC 5 times in one season, like UCLA and
Stanford. ('62-'63 and '76-'77) USC has also won the All-Sports Trophy 6
times since it started it 1971.

--

Fight to Live
University of Southern California

Derek Smith

Mar 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/30/95
In article <ttrojan-3003...@comserv-e-34.usc.edu> ttr...@usc.edu (Tommy Trojan) writes:

>> Nope. UCLA still holds the record for most championships. Stanford is,
>> however, tied with UCLA for most championships in a season.
>
>Sorry to burst your bubble, but USC is still the leader in national
>championships. The men have 76 and the women 13 (women only since 1976)
>And USC has also been crowned NC 5 times in one season, like UCLA and
>Stanford. ('62-'63 and '76-'77) USC has also won the All-Sports Trophy 6
>times since it started it 1971.

Ok, anyone know what school is the only one to have ever won a national
championship in basketball, a national championship in football, AND
placed first as a team on the Putnam exam? As of a few years ago, it
was also the only school to have won the Putnam and any one of the other
two.

durk

--
durkis...@math.princeton.edu609924603561clearviewaveprincetonnj08540

Glenn A. Brown, Jr.

Mar 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/31/95
In <ttrojan-3003...@comserv-e-34.usc.edu> ttr...@usc.edu
(Tommy Trojan) writes:

>> Nope. UCLA still holds the record for most championships. Stanford
is,
>> however, tied with UCLA for most championships in a season.
>
>Sorry to burst your bubble, but USC is still the leader in national
>championships. The men have 76 and the women 13 (women only since
1976)
>And USC has also been crowned NC 5 times in one season, like UCLA and
>Stanford. ('62-'63 and '76-'77) USC has also won the All-Sports Trophy
6
>times since it started it 1971.
>

>--
>

> Fight to Live
> University of Southern California
> And Live to Fight On!

UCLA has won the All-Sports Trophy at least 11 times. UCLA has won more
National Championships since 1970 than any other school. Finally, ....
"four more years... four more years..." (oppss... wrong bb)...:-)

GABrown
Go Bruins!!

JOHN CAPLE

Mar 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/31/95

>> Nope. UCLA still holds the record for most championships. Stanford
is,
>> however, tied with UCLA for most championships in a season.
>
>Sorry to burst your bubble, but USC is still the leader in national
>championships. The men have 76 and the women 13 (women only since
1976)
>And USC has also been crowned NC 5 times in one season, like UCLA and
>Stanford. ('62-'63 and '76-'77) USC has also won the All-Sports Trophy
6
>times since it started it 1971.

Does anyone have a list of championships won by school?

Does anyone have any info on the "All Sports Trophy" like how it is
determined and who has won it recently.

Richard Kurnadi

Mar 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/31/95
GABJ>>
GABJ>>
GABJ>>> Nope. UCLA still holds the record for most championships. Stanford
GABJ>is,
GABJ>>> however, tied with UCLA for most championships in a season.
GABJ>>
GABJ>>Sorry to burst your bubble, but USC is still the leader in national
GABJ>>championships. The men have 76 and the women 13 (women only since
GABJ>1976)
GABJ>>And USC has also been crowned NC 5 times in one season, like UCLA and
GABJ>>Stanford. ('62-'63 and '76-'77) USC has also won the All-Sports Trophy
GABJ>6
GABJ>>times since it started it 1971.
GABJ>>
GABJ>>--
GABJ>>
GABJ>>
GABJ>> Fight to Live
GABJ>> University of Southern California
GABJ>> And Live to Fight On!
GABJ>>
GABJ>UCLA has won the All-Sports Trophy at least 11 times. UCLA has won more
GABJ>National Championships since 1970 than any other school. Finally, ....
GABJ>"four more years... four more years..." (oppss... wrong bb)...:-)

GABJ>GABrown
GABJ>Go Bruins!!

I'm afraid he's right..UCLA has 56 men championships and 13 women
championships...and this was a year or two ago.. If I'm right..we're
second highest in the nation...oh well..at least we have that "four more
years" chant :>

---
ž OLX 2.1 TD ž He who laughs last usually didn't get the joke.

Glenn A. Brown, Jr.

Apr 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/1/95
In <ttrojan-3103...@comserv-b-23.usc.edu> ttr...@usc.edu
(Tommy Trojan) writes:

>> Does anyone have a list of championships won by school?
>>
>> Does anyone have any info on the "All Sports Trophy" like how it is
>> determined and who has won it recently.
>

>Top Ten Men's Team Championships (Football is not included because the
>NCAA does not crown a team champion)
>1. USC-69 titles
>2. UCLA-56
>3. Ok. State.-41
> Stanford-41
>5. Michigan-26
>6. Yale-25
>7. Arkansas-23
>8. Texas El-Paso-21
>9. Denver-19
> Indiana-19
> California-19
>
>(as of start of school year 1994, sorry I don't have a list for
women's)

>As for the All-Sports Trophy, it used to be a ranking done by the
>Knoxville Journal, and later was switched to the USA Today. I should
also
>mention that it is only a ranking of men's sports. I don't know how
they
>come up with the rankings, but I would assume there is a point system
for
>how well teams do in final polls. USC has won it 6 times since it
started
>in 1971 (71, 72, 74, 75, 77, 80). I have no idea who has won it
>recently. Anyone?

>--
>

> Fight to Live
> University of Southern California

> And Live to Fight On!

UCLA won the All Sports Trophy at least 11 times.

Lndsld

Apr 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/1/95
99% of USC's championships were in sports like shuffleboard weren't they?
All I care about is basketball and football. The rest don't count to me.
Also, I don't like that horse that runs around the track. Get that horse
outta here.

James Armstrong

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95
In article <3lh9bt$6...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> jca...@ix.netcom.com (JOHN CAPLE) writes:
>In <ttrojan-3003...@comserv-e-34.usc.edu> ttr...@usc.edu
>(Tommy Trojan) writes:
>>> Nope. UCLA still holds the record for most championships. Stanford
>is,

>>> however, tied with UCLA for most championships in a season.
>>Sorry to burst your bubble, but USC is still the leader in national
>>championships. The men have 76 and the women 13 (women only since
>1976)
>>And USC has also been crowned NC 5 times in one season, like UCLA and
>>Stanford. ('62-'63 and '76-'77) USC has also won the All-Sports Trophy
>6
>>times since it started it 1971.

>Does anyone have a list of championships won by school?

The NCAA publishes a book that lists every NCAA championship, and
the figures listed above are close through the start of this year.
I am not going to type them all in, as the book is something like 500
pages long!

However, for the record, here are the championships for USC and UCLA:

USC:

11 baseball titles
1 gymnastics
9 swimming
15 tennis
2 indoor track
26 outdoor track
4 volleyball
2 women's basketball
2 women's tennis
1 women's volleyball

UCLA:

10 basketball
1 golf
2 gymnastics
2 soccer
1 swimming
15 tennis
8 outdoor track
14 volleyball
3 water polo
1 women's golf
7 women's softball
2 women's outdoor track
3 women's volleyball

>Does anyone have any info on the "All Sports Trophy" like how it is
>determined and who has won it recently.

The record book does not mention this.
--
James C Armstrong, Jr | Sredni Vashtar went forth
ja...@sagarmatha.com | His jaws were red, his teeth were white

Wesley M Snow

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95
> Just because your school doesn't have the necessary skill level
> to compete in Division I athletics, doesn't mean you need to
> try to crack on mine...First of all, there were PLENTY of our
> sports that UVA excelled in, and some we utterly dominated. The
> Polo comment was basically a joke, but we still have the Nat'l
> Champs, so stop being jealous of our school...Stanford?? How
> many Nat'l Champs do they usually have that don't involve
> swimming around in a pool.....Not many..I'd much rather play a
> "Gentleman's Game" like Polo, than wear funny caps and tread
> water for hours on end....Wouldn't you?????

Even though I can't stand Stanford. I have to admit that they have one of the
best sports programs in the nation. I believe that Stanford has a better
sports program than Virginia, hands down. ...and this is coming from a neutral
Vols fan! Swimming does happen to be a pretty important sport. Things like
soccer and lacrosse aren't too widely recognized as sports across the nation in
collegiate programs. Just my opinion. I think Stanford has little to be
envious of about the Virginia program except maybe a men's basketball team.
Certainly not the Virginia football program.

Robert Dieckmann-TP-77163A(MT3167)T347

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95
In article <jcaD6G...@netcom.com>, James Armstrong <j...@netcom.com> wrote:
>In article <3lh9bt$6...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> jca...@ix.netcom.com (JOHN CAPLE) writes:
>>is,
>>>Sorry to burst your bubble, but USC is still the leader in national
>>>championships. The men have 76 and the women 13 (women only since
>>1976)
>>>And USC has also been crowned NC 5 times in one season, like UCLA and
>>>Stanford. ('62-'63 and '76-'77) USC has also won the All-Sports Trophy
>>6
>>>times since it started it 1971.
>>Does anyone have a list of championships won by school?
>
>The NCAA publishes a book that lists every NCAA championship, and
>the figures listed above are close through the start of this year.
>I am not going to type them all in, as the book is something like 500
>pages long!
>
>However, for the record, here are the championships for USC and UCLA:

I HAVE ADDED RUTGERS TO THIS LIST:

RUTGERS:

--
"Listen up son and pay attention. | Bob Dieckmann (r...@quartet.att.com)
How ya gonna learn anything if you | Rutgers Football: Once we actually

Tommy Trojan

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95

> >USC:

> >2 women's basketball
> >2 women's tennis
> >1 women's volleyball

Actually, that should be 4 women's volleyball, 7 women's tennis going back
to 1976 when women's sports were called AIAW and not under NCAA.

James Armstrong

Apr 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/4/95
In article <D6H5K...@nntpa.cb.att.com> r...@quartet.mt.att.com (Robert Dieckmann-TP-77163A(MT3167)T347) writes:
>In article <jcaD6G...@netcom.com>, James Armstrong <j...@netcom.com> wrote:
>I HAVE ADDED RUTGERS TO THIS LIST:
>
>RUTGERS:

1 fencing (1949)

>>USC:
>>
>>11 baseball titles
>>1 gymnastics
>>9 swimming
>>15 tennis
>>2 indoor track
>>26 outdoor track
>>4 volleyball

>>2 women's basketball
>>2 women's tennis
>>1 women's volleyball
>>

>>UCLA:
>>
>>10 basketball
>>1 golf
>>2 gymnastics
>>2 soccer
>>1 swimming
>>15 tennis
>>8 outdoor track
>>14 volleyball
>>3 water polo
>>1 women's golf
>>7 women's softball
>>2 women's outdoor track
>>3 women's volleyball

David A. Jump

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
In article <jcaD6G...@netcom.com>, j...@netcom.com (James Armstrong) writes:

|> However, for the record, here are the championships for USC and UCLA:
|>
|> USC:
|>
|> 11 baseball titles
|> 1 gymnastics
|> 9 swimming
|> 15 tennis
|> 2 indoor track
|> 26 outdoor track
|> 4 volleyball
|> 2 women's basketball
|> 2 women's tennis
|> 1 women's volleyball

doesn't USC have at least one football championship?

|> UCLA:
|>
|> 10 basketball
|> 1 golf
|> 2 gymnastics
|> 2 soccer
|> 1 swimming
|> 15 tennis
|> 8 outdoor track
|> 14 volleyball
|> 3 water polo
|> 1 women's golf
|> 7 women's softball
|> 2 women's outdoor track
|> 3 women's volleyball

make that 1 more bball NC!

David

Tommy Trojan

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95

> Lacrosse is a fairly interesting sport. I've had occassion to watch the
> game being played. I haven't the opportunity to watch the games at the
> Choctaw Indian Fair in Philadelphia, Miss. but I've wanted to. But
> Lacrosse is not widely recognized throughout the US.

You should check out lacrosse if you get the chance. I used to play
football for USC, and have recently picked up lacrosse. It's a great
sport! Similar to hockey; fast, physical and requires high skill level.
It has been a tough transition for me, but I enjoy playing and watching
other people play the game.

James Beauregard Kennedy

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
Wesley M Snow (wms...@tntech.edu) wrote:

: Even though I can't stand Stanford. I have to admit that they have one of the

: best sports programs in the nation. I believe that Stanford has a better
: sports program than Virginia, hands down. ...and this is coming from a
neutral
: Vols fan! Swimming does happen to be a pretty important sport. Things like
: soccer and lacrosse aren't too widely recognized as sports across the
nation in
: collegiate programs. Just my opinion. I think Stanford has little to be
: envious of about the Virginia program except maybe a men's basketball team.
: Certainly not the Virginia football program.

I would consider soccer an important in college athletics. With the
emphasis on gender equity, more universities are starting up women's
soccer programs. By the same token, men's soccer, although important,
will suffer thanks to the gender equity issue.

Lacrosse is a fairly interesting sport. I've had occassion to watch the
game being played. I haven't the opportunity to watch the games at the
Choctaw Indian Fair in Philadelphia, Miss. but I've wanted to. But
Lacrosse is not widely recognized throughout the US.

Regarding the various collegiate programs of Stanford and Virginia.
Stanford definitely has a better baseball, women's basketball (but barely),
swimming programs, etc.

Virginia has a better football and soccer as well as men's basketball--
even though Stanford has won a title and Virginia has not.

Later,

* James Beauregard Kennedy * Mississippi State Alumnus, BA '89, MA '93 *
* jken...@whale.st.usm.edu * Pursuing a Ph.D & MLIS at So. Mississippi *
*----------------------------*--------------------------------------------*
* * "When angry, count four; when very angry, *
* Kennedy means "Ugly head" * swear." *
* or "Knothead" in Gaelic. * --Mark Twain *

Wesley M Snow

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
> Lacrosse is a fairly interesting sport. I've had occassion to watch the
> game being played. I haven't the opportunity to watch the games at the
> Choctaw Indian Fair in Philadelphia, Miss. but I've wanted to. But
> Lacrosse is not widely recognized throughout the US.
>
> Regarding the various collegiate programs of Stanford and Virginia.
> Stanford definitely has a better baseball, women's basketball (but barely),
> swimming programs, etc.
>
> Virginia has a better football and soccer as well as men's basketball--
> even though Stanford has won a title and Virginia has not.

Lacrosse might be a good sport to watch, but it has very little interest across
the county in collegiate sports. Winning the nation title in Lacrosse means
little to anyone.

As to Stanford and Virginia, Stanford also has probably the best tennis program
in the nation. Virginia soccer? Who cares, at least in my state. Virginia
football? What is their overall record against Clemson? 2-31-1? Or something
close to that. No football here. Virginia basketball is the sport of decent
importance that they are good at.

Wes Snow
Tennessee Tech University
Go Vols!

The SEC Rules! 8 teams ranked in baseball!

Tommy Trojan

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95

> |> USC:
> |>
> |> 11 baseball titles
> |> 1 gymnastics
> |> 9 swimming
> |> 15 tennis
> |> 2 indoor track
> |> 26 outdoor track
> |> 4 volleyball
> |> 2 women's basketball
> |> 2 women's tennis
> |> 1 women's volleyball
>
> doesn't USC have at least one football championship?

Yes we have been crowned 8 times, BUT, the NCAA does not give out a
national title, so it wasn't listed in the NCAA book that the above info
was taken from. This is also why ND is not even in the top 10 for titles
won (behind even Yale!), 11 football and only 2 or 3 other titles for the
Irish.

JOHN CAPLE

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In <3lu90k$k...@server.st.usm.edu> jken...@whale.st.usm.edu (James
Beauregard Kennedy) writes:

>Wesley M Snow (wms...@tntech.edu) wrote:
>
>: Even though I can't stand Stanford. I have to admit that they have
one of the
>: best sports programs in the nation. I believe that Stanford has a
better
>: sports program than Virginia, hands down. ...and this is coming from
> neutral
>: Vols fan! Swimming does happen to be a pretty important sport.
Things like
>: soccer and lacrosse aren't too widely recognized as sports across the

> nation in
>: collegiate programs. Just my opinion. I think Stanford has little
to be
>: envious of about the Virginia program except maybe a men's basketball
team.
>: Certainly not the Virginia football program.
>
>I would consider soccer an important in college athletics. With the
>emphasis on gender equity, more universities are starting up women's
>soccer programs. By the same token, men's soccer, although important,
>will suffer thanks to the gender equity issue.
>

>Lacrosse is a fairly interesting sport. I've had occassion to watch
the
>game being played. I haven't the opportunity to watch the games at the
>Choctaw Indian Fair in Philadelphia, Miss. but I've wanted to. But
>Lacrosse is not widely recognized throughout the US.
>
>Regarding the various collegiate programs of Stanford and Virginia.
>Stanford definitely has a better baseball, women's basketball (but
barely),
>swimming programs, etc.

Let me add to this list mens & womens tennis, golf, mens & womens
volleyball, mens & womens gymnastics and mens water polo. We have won
national championships in all of these sports in the last 3 years.

>Virginia has a better football and soccer as well as men's basketball--
>even though Stanford has won a title and Virginia has not.

I don't know about football & hoop:

Football - two years ago we went 10-3 and beat PSU on New Years Day.
The last two years have been tough but we have a lot of football
tradition. I know nothing about UVA football so I would be willing to
hear the opposite side.

Basketball - we beat UVA this year at UVA. While UVA ended the season
ranked higher and went farther in the tournament, I think head to head
would at least call this one a draw.

Michael R. McGargee

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
Beauregard Kennedy) writes:

>>Wesley M Snow (wms...@tntech.edu) wrote:
>>
>>: Even though I can't stand Stanford. I have to admit that they have
>>:one of the
>>: best sports programs in the nation. I believe that Stanford has a
>>:better
>>: sports program than Virginia, hands down. ...and this is coming from
>>:a neutral
>>: Vols fan! Swimming does happen to be a pretty important sport.
>>:Things like
>>: soccer and lacrosse aren't too widely recognized as sports across the
>>: nation in collegiate programs. Just my opinion. I think Stanford has
>

>>I would consider soccer an important in college athletics. With the
>>emphasis on gender equity, more universities are starting up women's
>>soccer programs. By the same token, men's soccer, although important,
>>will suffer thanks to the gender equity issue.
>>
>>Lacrosse is a fairly interesting sport. I've had occassion to watch
>

>Let me add to this list mens & womens tennis, golf, mens & womens

>volleyball, mens & womens gymnastics and mens water polo. We have won
>national championships in all of these sports in the last 3 years.

>>Virginia has a better football and soccer as well as men's basketball--
>>even though Stanford has won a title and Virginia has not.

>I don't know about football & hoop:

Lacrosse is, for the uninitiated, one of the best spectator sports I can
think of. Lots of scoring (without so much that single goals become
meaningless), speed, contact, strategy... try watching a game if you haven't.
I've never played, but I love watching. Of course, it's pretty limited to
the East coast, so I'm sure Stanford folk aren't too broken up about
Virginia's superiority.

Soccer's definitely a sport with broad acceptance.

Stanford's overall athletic program definitely gets the nod. It seems to
have a lot of athletes in a lot of sports finding a lot of success.
That's impressive. One issue that's been overlooked, however, is that
comparing schools from different regions is essentially meaningless
exactly because of the diversity of sports programs. Good hockey programs
will generally be found in the north. Good swimming, track, baseball, and
tennis programs will generally be found in the south (particularly the
latter two-- longer outdoor season). There are definitely exceptions
(unique coach or athlete, special facilities, etc.). So a Sun Belt school
will have a much better shot at success in many sports than a Frost Belt
school.

While I think Stanford's done a great job across the board, I personally
would not trade UVa's mix and (current) success. Not because I think
UVa's mix of successful sports is somehow superior, but rather because
they happen to be my favorite sports to watch (although I would have loved
seeing a competitive hockey team). I'm sure if I grew up in the South or
West, I'd have a different view of things.

Mike Megargee | Grammar Lesson for USENET Posters:
UVa 81,82,87 | it's = it is its = belonging to it
| they're = they are their = belonging to them
| you're = you are your = belonging to you

Josef Call

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
In article <3m0pv5$h...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>, jca...@ix.netcom.com (JOHN CAPLE) writes:

[lotsa bickerin' 'bout myriad inconsequential sports deleted]

|> Football - two years ago we went 10-3 and beat PSU on New Years Day.
|> The last two years have been tough but we have a lot of football
|> tradition. I know nothing about UVA football so I would be willing to
|> hear the opposite side.

I just feel sorta compelled to mention that that was Stahnfurd's first win
ever versus Penn State. They've lost to the mighty Nittany Lions somewhere in
the neighborhood of 8 or 9 times. The 24-3 debacle in the Blockbuster Bowl
was a direct consequence of Penn State having one of its worst seasons in
decades, and the Trees having one of their best. Should the Trees get lucky
and actually make it to a Rose Bowl, the Nittany Lions will most assuredly
be there too, and trounce them in a most sound fashion.

A sad fact: living in the Si Valley, I'm completely surrounded by danged
Tree alumni. I watched that game with several of 'em (at MY house on the big
screen TV, no less). I was duely embarrassed and ashamed. They, however, were
good sports about the whole thing.

As for the Tree's alleged football tradition, I must voice an objection: save
for a couple of years of good ball in the late 70's under Walsh, they don't
have much of a tradition at all (at least a winning one, anyway). Except for
the Big Game w/ Cal (call 1-800-BEAT-CAL for tickets), few teams care much
about games w/ the Indians. They certainly don't mark their calenders a year
in advance and count down the months, weeks, and days until the game.

Anyway, I suppose I'm about to get flamed by some Tree fans. That's ok, 'cause
Stanford will still suck.

cheers,

josef

PS: is it ok now to like the Trees a little, since that Holtz's minion Walsh
is gone? No? Oh, well.

JOHN CAPLE

Apr 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/10/95
In <3m2eg7$3...@itnews.intel.com> jc...@zws109.sc.intel.com (Josef Call)
writes:

At least if you are going to flame Stanford, get your facts straight.
We weren't all that good in the late 70's. It was the early 70's with
one Jim Plunket at QB when we won two straight Rose Bowls. I notice
that you mentioned that the Stanford fans were polite when we kicked the
shit out of your team. God forbid that you be polite as well. I guess
its more fun to make whining excuses about the game.

And by the way, you better thank god you are in the Big10, because
Nebraska would have kicked the shit out of your pussy assed Lions.

Tommy Trojan

Apr 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/10/95
>Except for
> the Big Game w/ Cal (call 1-800-BEAT-CAL for tickets), few teams care much
> about games w/ the Indians. They certainly don't mark their calenders a year
> in advance and count down the months, weeks, and days until the game.

Oh, yes, we look forward to games with the Indians/Cardinals/Cardinal/ Who
the F@#k knows what we all called anymore because it means that the Horse
has a chance to run over a Farm cheerleader again! That and the fact it
means that the Stanford Leeland Jr. (high school) Marching (yeah right)
Band comes to town. We get to look forward to them at, say, the Federal
Court Building to play at the OJ trial. BTW does the band even know their
own fight song? You would think it was "All Right Now" because they never
play anything else (I have heard their fight song once in four years at
SC, and I have gone to both games at the Farm.)

Thomas E. Wilkins

Apr 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/12/95

I just loved this post. And I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with
the fact that Stanfurd once rejected me. Oh, well.