Ever a team with all 5 starters in the NBA?

Russ Smith

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
In article <3lv54p$s...@news.duke.edu>, Tucker Bailey
<tuc...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:

> When Cherokee Parks is selected in the First Round of this year's NBA
draft, DUKE 1992 will
> have had four first round picks (Laettner, Hurley, Hill, and Parks) off
its repeat championship
> team. Tony Lang was a second round pick whom I believe is still hanging
on with the Suns.
> Brian Davis was also a second round pick who is now with the pathetic
T'wolves, I think.
> Finally Thomas Hill was a second round selection, but is now out of
basketball I believe.
> That's seven NBA players off one team, and four first rounders. I can't
even think of a UNC
> team with that many high picks.

ASU's 79-80team(I think don't quote me on the year) had 5 first round picks.

G Fat Lever Denver Nuggets
G Byron Scott Los Angeles Clippers
F Sam Williams Golden St. Warriors
F Kurt Nimphius Dallas Mavericks
C Alton Lister Milwaukee Bucks

That team still didn't win the Pac-10 title.

--
Russ Smith

"I did a lousy job."

- Don Nelson

Chintan Kiran Amin

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
blud...@news.gate.net (Rob Mac K) writes:

>Duke in '92 had four starters that played in the NBA (Laettner, Hill,
>Hurley, and Davis) and one who was drafted but didn't make the final cut
~~~~~

Just a point of fact, Rob. Davis only _practiced_ in the NBA. (;-}

--
Chintan Amin http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~ca3155 mailto: ll...@uiuc.edu
Win or Lose, I eat my ass off! -- Rick Majerus

Orioles CFLs Tar Heels Capitals Bullets Illini Jaguars

Chintan Kiran Amin

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
lro...@mail2.sas.upenn.edu (Lee J Rosen) writes:

>The Fighting Illini of about 88? with Kendall Gill, Marcus Liberty, Kenny
>Battle, Nick Anderson and someone else but the fifth one is eluding me
>right now. I think he made it in the NBA for a little too.

Bardo? I don't _think_ he played in the NBA. Jazzy? Norman is/was
playing, but he left UofI a bit earlier than those guys.

>Lee

Eric Lin

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
Michigan -- Robinson, Mills, Vaught, Rice, Higgins???, one more?

UCLA -- Maclean, Murray, Madkins, Butler, Martin (yes, he's with the Wolves)

On 5 Apr 1995, Sreekar Shastry wrote:

> I was thinking of this years North Carolina team. Stackhouse,
> Wallace, and Williams are all 1st round picks. Calabria and McInnis
> are also likely to be drafted in the 1st round. Has there ever been a
> team where all 5 starters on the team were eventually drafted in the
> 1st round and played in the NBA? Syracuse a few years back, perhaps?
> Any others?
>
> --
> Sreekar Shastry
> sre...@panix.com

Sreekar Shastry

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95

Stasiu

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
1976 Indiana, Quinn Buckner, Kent Benson, Bobby Wilkerson, Scott May,
and I can't remember the other player.

1961 (or thereabout) Ohio State. Jerry Lucas, Mel Knowles, Larry Siegfried, Hondo
Havlicek, and again my memory fails me on the 5th starter. Bobby Knight
on the bench.

Probably some of the UCLA teams and others.

Stasiu

Rob Mac K

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
In article <3lv1qt$i...@panix3.panix.com> sre...@panix.com (Sreekar Shastry) writes:
>I was thinking of this years North Carolina team. Stackhouse,
>Wallace, and Williams are all 1st round picks. Calabria and McInnis
>are also likely to be drafted in the 1st round. Has there ever been a

Calabria a first round pick? Maybe. Let's see how he does when he's not
the fourth or fifth guy the opposing team's defense has to worry about...
I'm not sold on his ability to create his own shot.

>team where all 5 starters on the team were eventually drafted in the
>1st round and played in the NBA? Syracuse a few years back, perhaps?
>Any others?

Duke in '92 had four starters that played in the NBA (Laettner, Hill,

Hurley, and Davis) and one who was drafted but didn't make the final cut

(Thomas Hill). I talked to Thomas's dad at the second round of the
NCAA's in 94 across the bay in St. Pete, and I believe he told me T. was
playing in the CBA. I asked his dad why he didn't go to Europe and he
told me he didn't understand it either. :)

Anybody know where he is now?

- Rob Mac K

--
*** Rob Mac K ****************************************** Duke '93 ***

** ]}uke Blue Devils ** Will Engineer **
** 1991 National Champions 1992 ** For Food **
************************* blud...@gate.net *************************

Jerry McKune

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
SR> I was thinking of this years North Carolina team. Stackhouse,
SR> Wallace, and Williams are all 1st round picks. Calabria and
SR> McInnis are also likely to be drafted in the 1st round. Has
SR> there ever been a team where all 5 starters on the team were
SR> eventually drafted in the 1st round and played in the NBA?
SR> Syracuse a few years back, perhaps? Any others?

Didn't the Michigan team I think in '88 or '89 with Glenn Rice and
Rumeal Robinson send 4 to the NBA in the 1st round and the other one
in the 2nd round?

-J

Tucker Bailey

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
to sre...@panix.com

Lee J Rosen

tcadams

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
In article <3lv7at$n...@netnews.upenn.edu>,

Lee J Rosen <lro...@mail2.sas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>The Fighting Illini of about 88? with Kendall Gill, Marcus Liberty, Kenny
>Battle, Nick Anderson and someone else but the fifth one is eluding me
>right now. I think he made it in the NBA for a little too.
>
>Lee

I believe it was Lowell Hamilton *and* Steve Bardo. Liberty didn't
start for his first couple of years if memory serves. I know Bardo's
in the CBA these days and who knows what Hamilton's up to.

Tom Adams KU '93

Isaac J. Chang

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <3lvo54$j...@charnel.ecst.CSUChico.EDU> on...@ecst.csuchico.edu (Bikersaurus) writes:

>what about the UNLV team that won the national championship?
>3 or was it 4 got taken in the first round while George Ackers was
>taken in the second....

From that team, Larry Johnson, Stacy Augmon and Greg Anthony were all
first round picks. LJ stars on the Hornets, Augmon is a contributor on
the Hawks, and Anthony alternates being in and out of Riley's doghouse in
New York. All are solid players.

I don't believe the last starter on that team Andersen Hunt (the three point
bomber) was drafted...he certainly isn't in the league now, and was never
considered a real prospect...rumors had him going to Michigan for awhile.

Jazzy J

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
russ_...@genmagic.com (Russ Smith) writes:
>ASU's 79-80team(I think don't quote me on the year) had 5 first round picks.

>G Fat Lever Denver Nuggets
>G Byron Scott Los Angeles Clippers
>F Sam Williams Golden St. Warriors
>F Kurt Nimphius Dallas Mavericks
>C Alton Lister Milwaukee Bucks

All made the pros, but all weren't 1st round picks. Williams was
a 2nd rounder in '81, 33rd overall. Nimphius was a 3rd rounder
(#47 overall) in '80. Close though!

Jazzy J

--
Jazzy J v4.0 "'95" (Netcom) | (O):(913) 676-8962
Systems Engineer / Seaboard Corporation | (H):(913) 381-3173

Lewis Rowe RO0LZZZ!!!

Ali Reza Samadi

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
How about that St. Anthony's High School's team in 1988 or 1989 that had Terry
Dehere, Bobby Hurley, Rodney Rogers, Jerry Walker, and some other pretty
good guy (maybe Anthony Avent?)

Jazzy J

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
Eric Lin <eri...@u.washington.edu> writes:
>Michigan -- Robinson, Mills, Vaught, Rice, Higgins???, one more?

88-89 Michigan, and 89-90 Michigan. Close, but no cigar. Why?
Because Mike Griffin started. :)

>UCLA -- Maclean, Murray, Madkins, Butler, Martin (yes, he's with the Wolves)

A starting lineup that all made the pros, but not all 1st round
picks (3 of the 5 undrafted in fact!).

Jazzy J

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
Stasiu <sta...@munchkin.pdial.interpath.net> writes:
>1976 Indiana, Quinn Buckner, Kent Benson, Bobby Wilkerson, Scott May,
>and I can't remember the other player.

Tom Abernethy... made the pros, but not a 1st round pick.

>1961 (or thereabout) Ohio State. Jerry Lucas, Mel Knowles, Larry Siegfried, Hondo
>Havlicek, and again my memory fails me on the 5th starter. Bobby Knight
>on the bench.

Your fifth starter depends on which year -- it was Joe Roberts
in '60, and in '61 it was Richie Hoyt.

Unfortunately, only Lucas, Havlicek, and Siegfried were 1st round
picks from that group...

Jazzy J

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
ca3...@dclipc11.cen.uiuc.edu (Chintan Kiran Amin) writes:
>>The Fighting Illini of about 88? with Kendall Gill, Marcus Liberty, Kenny
>>Battle, Nick Anderson and someone else but the fifth one is eluding me
>>right now. I think he made it in the NBA for a little too.

> Bardo? I don't _think_ he played in the NBA. Jazzy? Norman is/was

>playing, but he left UofI a bit earlier than those guys.

Bardo played some in the NBA for the Spurs (1 game, 1 minute) and
the Mavs (about 1/3 of the season).

Norman left in '87 -- the team listed above is actually Illinois '89,
Liberty was Prop 48 in '88, and U had an Olympian in the lineup...
West German Jens Kujawa....

Bikersaurus

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95

Sreekar Shastry <sre...@panix.com> wrote:
>I was thinking of this years North Carolina team. Stackhouse,
>Wallace, and Williams are all 1st round picks. Calabria and McInnis
>are also likely to be drafted in the 1st round. Has there ever been a

pretty boy calabria? hehehe....i won't even attempt this one....

what about the UNLV team that won the national championship?
3 or was it 4 got taken in the first round while George Ackers was
taken in the second....

_/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ |on...@ecst.csuchico.edu
_/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ | ____ __o __
_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ |____ -\<, ___
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ |.........0 / 0.....
_/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ |<* I'd rather be biking *>

D.F.

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <3lv1qt$i...@panix3.panix.com> Sreekar Shastry,

sre...@panix.com writes:
>Calabria and McInnis are also likely to be drafted in the 1st round.

This year? Both of them? Doubt it.

David Preo

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95

Samadi) writes:
> > How about that St. Anthony's High School's team in 1988 or 1989 that
had Terry
> > Dehere, Bobby Hurley, Rodney Rogers, Jerry Walker, and some other pretty

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you're talking about the Rodney Rogers that played at Wake Forest and
now plays for the Nuggets, he played high school ball in Durham, NC.

--
David Preo
BNR Japan

pby...@indyvax.iupui.edu

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <3lvekv$3...@news.duke.edu>, ar...@acpub.duke.edu (Ali Reza Samadi) writes:
> How about that St. Anthony's High School's team in 1988 or 1989 that had Terry
> Dehere, Bobby Hurley, Rodney Rogers, Jerry Walker, and some other pretty

Andrew Markham

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
Rob Mac K (blud...@news.gate.net) wrote:
: >
:

: Calabria a first round pick? Maybe. Let's see how he does when he's not
: the fourth or fifth guy the opposing team's defense has to worry about...
: I'm not sold on his ability to create his own shot.

I'd be willing to be my hat that Calabria will _NOT_ be a first round pick.

--
Andy Markham
mar...@bnr.ca

Vijay Ramanujan

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
How about 4 starters and a backup? Rice, Rumeal, Vaught, Mills and
Higgins.

And possibly next year with the Fab Five (either 4 + 1 or 5).

JOHN CAPLE

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In <3lv1qt$i...@panix3.panix.com> sre...@panix.com (Sreekar Shastry)
writes:

>I was thinking of this years North Carolina team. Stackhouse,
>Wallace, and Williams are all 1st round picks. Calabria and McInnis
>are also likely to be drafted in the 1st round. Has there ever been a

>team where all 5 starters on the team were eventually drafted in the
>1st round and played in the NBA? Syracuse a few years back, perhaps?
>Any others?

UCLA of 92 had all five starters in the NBA at least at on time:

Tracy Murray - Portland
Don MacClean - Washington
Mitchel Butler - Washington
Gerald Madkins - Cleveland
Richard Petruska - Portland

WILLIAM GAY

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
>> ar...@acpub.duke.edu (Ali Reza Samadi) writes:
>> > How about that St. Anthony's High School's team in 1988 or 1989 that
>> > Dehere, Bobby Hurley, Rodney Rogers, Jerry Walker, and some other pretty

Strike out Rogers. Didn't Aaron Bain play there as well?

-Will

Mark Copeland

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95

Bikersaurus <on...@ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:
>In article <3lv1qt$i...@panix3.panix.com>,
>Sreekar Shastry <sre...@panix.com> wrote:
>>I was thinking of this years North Carolina team. Stackhouse,
>>Wallace, and Williams are all 1st round picks. Calabria and McInnis
>>are also likely to be drafted in the 1st round. Has there ever been a
>
>pretty boy calabria? hehehe....i won't even attempt this one....
>
>what about the UNLV team that won the national championship?
>3 or was it 4 got taken in the first round while George Ackers was
>taken in the second....

How about the Baltimore Dunbar(?) high school team with Bogues, Lewis.....

Jerry McKune

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95

It was just reported on local our news that a newspaper in Atlanta
said that one of Georgia Tech's top recruits...Stephon Marbury out of
New York City who has verbally committed there will de-commit, and
reportedly sign with Fresno State. The article also stated that
Tarkanian will hire Don Marbury, Stephon's father, a construction
worker in New York as his assistant. Again can anyone confirm or deny
these reports?

Also, if anyone has any information on Stephon Marbury, stats,
anything like that if you could mail them to me or post them I would
appreciate it.

-J

Jerry McKune

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95

Here are the provisions of the Jerry Tarkanian hiring as released by
the university and reported by local news agencies.

Contract:

3 years, $92,000 per year

Peanuts compared to his UNLV salary, and proof money wasn't an issue.

Here are some policies and changes the university has been wanting to
implement for months, but the Tarkanian hiring serves as a catalyst to
start those in motion.

1st - University will hire a full time compliance officer to observe
all sports on campus and make sure they are complying with NCAA and
University regulations. The officer will be responsible for an annual
reprt to the administration and academic senate(an organization of
elected student officers and faculty advisors dedicated to upholding
high academic standards.)

2nd - The Bulldog Foundation Trustees, leaders of the local
organization of private individuals who raise millions annually in
scholarships and athletic improvement funds, to attend annual
workshops on NCAA compliance.

3rd - $1 of every ticket sold to all sporting events will be donated
to a special fund for improvement of the libraries and research
facilities.

The fourth provision is VERY interesting. Realizing the power of
Tarkanian's influence on donations, the university went to bat for
women's athletics. A special sports endowment of millions of dollars
was released today to complete projects started by the university to
ensure compliance with Title 9 Gender Equity rules. In the next few
days the university will award contracts to contractors to complete
start the construction of a new women's locker room, a new women's
weight training facility, a new multi-use weight and training
complex(21,000 square feet) primarily for men and women athletes, but
also open to students at certain times, and the pinnacle of all
women's facilities...a 3,500 seat softball diamond complete with
stadium chairback seats, lights, and sunken dugouts. It will be the
premier women's softball facility in the nation and will play host to
local, regional, and national collegiate and high school tournaments.

The completion of the above projects will ensure Fresno State has
fairly disbursed money to men's and women's athletics, thus freeing up
any future donations to be put toward the new proposed on campus
arena. The new arena will comply with gender equity rulings as it will
be used for both men's and women's basketball, AND women's volleyball.

It was a momentus day for Fresno State athletics, if not for the
hiring of Jerry Tarkanian, for the gender levelling implementations.

-J

James Armstrong

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
The Duke team that started against UNC in the 7-0 game had all five starters
play in the NBA:

Mike Gminski
Gene Banks
Kenny Dennard
Vince Taylor *
Jim Spanarkel

*Normally, Bob Bender started, but he was ill that day.
--
James C Armstrong, Jr | Sredni Vashtar went forth
ja...@sagarmatha.com | His jaws were red, his teeth were white

Richard Spall

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
Andrew Markham (markham@b4pphf7) wrote:

: Rob Mac K (blud...@news.gate.net) wrote:
: : sre...@panix.com (Sreekar Shastry) writes:
: : >
: : >I was thinking of this years North Carolina team. Stackhouse,

: : >Wallace, and Williams are all 1st round picks. Calabria and McInnis
: : >are also likely to be drafted in the 1st round. Has there ever been a
: :
: : Calabria a first round pick? Maybe. Let's see how he does when he's not
: : the fourth or fifth guy the opposing team's defense has to worry about...
: : I'm not sold on his ability to create his own shot.

: I'd be willing to be my hat that Calabria will _NOT_ be a first round pick.

If he is, then I'm willing to quit watching/playing basketball forever.

Richard Spall
My opinions not BNR's

: --
: Andy Markham
: mar...@bnr.ca

Jazzy J

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
copeland@s4 (Mark Copeland) writes:
>>what about the UNLV team that won the national championship?
>>3 or was it 4 got taken in the first round while George Ackers was
>>taken in the second....

>How about the Baltimore Dunbar(?) high school team with Bogues, Lewis.....

... Reggie Williams, David Wingate. Only problem was that Lewis
was the 6th man and didn't start, and your other 2 starters were
Herman Harried (Syracuse) and Michael Brown (Syracuse/Clemson/???)
and neither made the NBA (or off of the bench for the most part!).

Jazzy J

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95

Nope... not in that year at least. Bain finished up at Flint
Hill, where he played with George Lynch.

Jazzy J

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
pby...@indyvax.iupui.edu writes:
>> How about that St. Anthony's High School's team in 1988 or 1989 that had Terry

>> Dehere, Bobby Hurley, Rodney Rogers, Jerry Walker, and some other pretty
>> good guy (maybe Anthony Avent?)
>>

>Luther Wright?

Wright went to another HS in Jersey. Walker/Hurley/Dehere are
fine, Rogers is from NC, the other 2 starters are Rodrick Rhodes
(who still have a chance) and Sean (?) Mooney (or is it Rooney?).
Mooney/Rooney spent a brief time at Utah (I believe, my memory
is quite sketchy on this one).

>St. Johns '85 lineup: Chris Mulin, Mark Jackson, Bill Wennington and Walter
>Berry all played pro ball, does anybody know about Willie Glass?

Willie Glass was drafted by the Lakers but never made it. Jackson
(as well as Shelton Jones and Ron Rowan) made it, but he wasn't
a starter. Mike Moses started at the point and didn't make the NBA.

Ronald Siegel

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
How about the 1976 Indiana Hoosiers (Kent Benson, Tom Abernathy, Bobby
Wilkerson, Scott May and Quinn Buckner)

Ron Siegel

James Goloboy (Marblehead HS 96)

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95

The Boston\ston Globe has been reporting for the last few days that
not only has Marbury been considering Fresno St., but also that
Tarkanian was attempting to assemble a "dream team" of recruits
before he took the Fresno job.

Jim Goloboy

Joseph Harold Turner

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
Marburry's dad does not have the required college degree to get a head
coaching job. Maybe Tark will hire one of Stephon's brothers. BTW, his
dad said that he was still committed to TECH.

Paul Dekker

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <D6LFu...@zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU>, jmc...@zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU
(Jerry McKune) wrote:

Ron Mercer has reportedly said that if Marbury commits to Fresno State
that he will too. (Mercer and Marbury became good friends a couple of
years ago while vacationing in Hawaii.)

--
Paul Dekker
Univ of Illinois, Dept of Atmos Sci

Dan Tauke

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
Has there ever been a team where all 5 starters on the team were eventually drafted in the

> 1st round and played in the NBA? Syracuse a few years back, perhaps?
> Any others?
>
> --
> Sreekar Shastry
> sre...@panix.com

The Iowa Hawkeyes in '85-'86(?) started:

Brad Lohaus (plays with Miami Heat)
Kevin Gamble (also plays with Heat)
B.J. Armstrong (plays for Bulls)
Roy Marble (played for Atlanta Hawks for short while 'til drug test..)
Ed Horton (played for Washington Bullets, then Israel, then CBA )

I think Ed started that year, but I may be mistaken...

Dan Tauke

Rob Mac K

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <3lvam3$h...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu> ca3...@dclipc11.cen.uiuc.edu (Chintan Kiran Amin) writes:
>blud...@news.gate.net (Rob Mac K) writes:
>>Duke in '92 had four starters that played in the NBA (Laettner, Hill,
>>Hurley, and Davis) and one who was drafted but didn't make the final cut
> ~~~~~
>
> Just a point of fact, Rob. Davis only _practiced_ in the NBA. (;-}

Wrong as usual. He played with the T-Wolves for two years -- which is
two years longer than anybody thought he would last.

- Rob Mac K

--
*** Rob Mac K ****************************************** Duke '93 ***
** ]}uke Blue Devils ** Will Engineer **
** 1991 National Champions 1992 ** For Food **
************************* blud...@gate.net *************************

shoym

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
jmc...@zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU (Jerry McKune) wrote:

>It was just reported on local our news that a newspaper in Atlanta
>said that one of Georgia Tech's top recruits...Stephon Marbury out of
>New York City who has verbally committed there will de-commit, and
>reportedly sign with Fresno State. The article also stated that
>Tarkanian will hire Don Marbury, Stephon's father, a construction
>worker in New York as his assistant. Again can anyone confirm or deny
>these reports?
>
>Also, if anyone has any information on Stephon Marbury, stats,
>anything like that if you could mail them to me or post them I would
>appreciate it.
>
>-J

Well, if this is true, I think I speak for myself and only myself when I
say - HA!!
-shoym

"I race cars, I play tennis, I fondle women, BUT, I have weekends off and
I am my own boss." Arthur Bach

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant..."

"I'm a vertically challenged man of scalp..."

Rob Mac K

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <dekker-0604...@deck.atmos.uiuc.edu> dek...@uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu (Paul Dekker) writes:
>Ron Mercer has reportedly said that if Marbury commits to Fresno State
>that he will too. (Mercer and Marbury became good friends a couple of
>years ago while vacationing in Hawaii.)

Yeah, well, I heard that Jerry Stackhouse and Rasheed Wallace are both
planning on transferring to Fresno. And Vince Carter is going to renege
on his verbal commitment and sign with them as well.

^L

8^) <-- Please note.

Jazzy J

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
Dan Tauke <tau...@silver-po.biz.uiowa.edu> writes:
> Has there ever been a team where all 5 starters on the team were eventually drafted in the
>> 1st round and played in the NBA? Syracuse a few years back, perhaps?
>> Any others?
>>
>The Iowa Hawkeyes in '85-'86(?) started:

>Brad Lohaus (plays with Miami Heat)
>Kevin Gamble (also plays with Heat)
>B.J. Armstrong (plays for Bulls)
>Roy Marble (played for Atlanta Hawks for short while 'til drug test..)
>Ed Horton (played for Washington Bullets, then Israel, then CBA )

>I think Ed started that year, but I may be mistaken...

He did (24 games out of 35). Actually, the team U named above
was the 86-87 team. In 85-86, Andre Banks, Al Lorenzen, and Gerry
Wright were in the starting lineup, and none of them made the pros.
All starters from the 86-87 team made the pros, but not all were
1st round picks (only BJ and Marble were).

Tucker Bailey

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
Realize that the Duke 92 team also had Cherokee Parks who will be drafted, most likely in the
first round this year, and Antonio Lang who was the second round pick for the Suns, and is
still with them. These two along with Laettner, Hurley, Grant Hill, and Bryan Davis will be 6
off that team in the NBA. A seventh, Thomas Hill was also drafted, but has never made a team.

Stacey White

w...@acpub.duke.edu

Go to Hell Carolina

Tucker Bailey

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
to tca...@ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu
Just for clarification the '89 Flyin Illini starting lineup was Bardo, Gill, Nick Anderson,
Kenny Battle and Ervin Small. Hamilton got some starts at center and Liberty started after
Gill broke his foot against Michigan, but the first five mentioned got most of the starts.

Stacey White

w...@acpub.duke.edu

Kevin J. Wingfield

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95

On 6 Apr 1995, Dan Tauke wrote:

> Has there ever been a team where all 5 starters on the team were eventually drafted in the
> > 1st round and played in the NBA? Syracuse a few years back, perhaps?
> > Any others?
> >

> > --
> > Sreekar Shastry

I am of no help, but there was a high school team that sent all of its
5 starters and 1 bench player to the NBA. The high school is in
Maryland, and I cannot supply all six names, but one I believe is Muggsy
Bogues.

Hopeless,
Big K

James Armstrong

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
I think we should see this again:

In article <3m1c1j$n...@news.duke.edu> Tucker Bailey <tuc...@acpub.duke.edu> writes:
>Go to Hell Carolina

Milt Epstein

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
Tucker Bailey <tuc...@acpub.duke.edu> writes:

[Please keep your line lengths under 80 characters.]

This is incorrect. As several people have already posted, Lowell
Hamilton was the starting "center", not Ervin Small. I just verified
this at the U of I Men's Basketball Home Page that Craig Augustyniak
has; here's the URL:

http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~ca11751/bball/

He's got stats going back several years there. Here's what I pulled
out from the page for 88-89 (info for all players who played more than
300 minutes total):

Player G GS MIN Avg
-----------------------------
Anderson, N 36 32 1125 31.3
Battle, K 36 34 1105 30.7
Gill, K 24 18 681 28.4
Hamilton, L 36 33 942 26.2
Liberty, M 36 24 748 20.8
Bardo, S 36 30 1000 27.8
Smith, L 36 9 694 19.3
Small, E 36 0 394 10.9

What's interesting here is that Liberty had more starts and more total
minutes (but less average minutes per game) than Gill. But that's
almost surely all due to Gill's ankle injury (it looks like he missed
up to 12 games because of that -- I didn't recall him being gone that
long, but it's been a while). So who should be counted as the five
starters? The four with 30 or more starts are clear, but should Gill
or Liberty be considered the fifth (this is more of a rhetorical
question than meant to start discussion on this)? (Although for the
purposes of this thread, it doesn't matter, since they both made it
(for at least some time) in the NBA.

--
Milt Epstein
Visiting Research Programmer National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC)

Michael Timlin

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <3m1cim$n...@news.duke.edu>, Tucker Bailey
<tuc...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:

>Just for clarification the '89 Flyin Illini starting lineup was Bardo,
Gill, Nick Anderson,
>Kenny Battle and Ervin Small. Hamilton got some starts at center and
Liberty started after
>Gill broke his foot against Michigan, but the first five mentioned got
most of the starts.

I can assure you Small didn't start ahead of Hamilton. In 89-90 Hamilton
was gone and Small started then. In 88-89, Small had more fouls than
shots! He would come into the game to give someone a blow, bang on the
other teams' inside players, and not much else.

The stats are on http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~ca11751/bball/8889.html and show
the following:

Player G GS
Battle 36 34
Hamilton 36 33
Anderson 36 32
Bardo 36 30
Liberty 36 24
Gill 24 18
Smith 36 9
Small 36 0
Bowman 29 0

Nobody else on this team played anything but garbage minutes except Andy
Kaufman who played early in the year, was diagnosed with a blood clot, and
sat out the rest of the season.

--
Mike Timlin
tim...@colorado.edu

The 5th dentist caved, now they all recommend Trident?

Henry Drew

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
arizone state of the early 80s:

alton lister
fat lever
byron scott
(can't remember the rest, if there were others)

arizona of a few years ago (89?), not all 1st rounders,
but they all played in the nba:

sean elliott
tom tolbert
anthony cook
jud beuchler
steve kerr
kenny lofton (well, all-star baseball player at least)

Mark Copeland

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <3m1c1j$n...@news.duke.edu>,

WOW, it is a revolving door of talent at Duke

Kaushik Sirkar

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
Rodney Rogers? I think you mean Rodrick Rhodes, right?

Jazzy J

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
eps...@napcc-hp.cvm.uiuc.edu (Milt Epstein) writes:
>This is incorrect. As several people have already posted, Lowell
>Hamilton was the starting "center", not Ervin Small. I just verified
>this at the U of I Men's Basketball Home Page that Craig Augustyniak
>has; here's the URL:

>http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~ca11751/bball/

>He's got stats going back several years there. Here's what I pulled
>out from the page for 88-89 (info for all players who played more than
>300 minutes total):

Gee, I wonder who sent Craig the stats. :)

[stats deleted]

>What's interesting here is that Liberty had more starts and more total
>minutes (but less average minutes per game) than Gill. But that's
>almost surely all due to Gill's ankle injury (it looks like he missed
>up to 12 games because of that -- I didn't recall him being gone that
>long, but it's been a while). So who should be counted as the five
>starters? The four with 30 or more starts are clear, but should Gill
>or Liberty be considered the fifth (this is more of a rhetorical
>question than meant to start discussion on this)? (Although for the
>purposes of this thread, it doesn't matter, since they both made it
>(for at least some time) in the NBA.

In this case, U probably have to go with Gill as the starter.
Base it on the late season and post-season, where he started
practically every game. A similar situation comes up with
this year's UCLA team, in which both Toby Bailey and J.R.
Henderson are tied with the 5th most starts on the team with
13. But since Bailey started during the tournament run, when
people look back on the 94-95 team, they'll remember Bailey
as the starting off guard, not Henderson. The same goes for
Gill.

Then again, like U say, Liberty and Gill both made the NBA
anyways, so the point really is moot. :)

Jazzy J

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
nega...@u.washington.edu (Henry Drew) writes:
>arizone state of the early 80s:

>alton lister
>fat lever
>byron scott
>(can't remember the rest, if there were others)

Kurt Nimphius and Sam Williams. Of course, not all 1st rounders
though...

>arizona of a few years ago (89?), not all 1st rounders,
>but they all played in the nba:

>sean elliott
>tom tolbert
>anthony cook
>jud beuchler
>steve kerr
>kenny lofton (well, all-star baseball player at least)

Arizona had a lot of future pro players, but they didn't have a
starting 5 that cracked the NBA. For instance, Lofton didn't make
the NBA, and neither did Craig McMillan (and that rules out the
87-88 team)...

anon

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article
<Pine.A32.3.91c.95040...@homer15.u.washington.edu>, Eric
Lin <eri...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Michigan -- Robinson, Mills, Vaught, Rice, Higgins???, one more?

Eric Griffin was the fifth starter in 89. the other four were taken in the
first round with higgins going in the second. What about the fab five?
Jackson and king have good chances of going in the draft?

This question deserves to be ask. What college has the most players in the NBA?

Michigan has 11?

Webber
Howard
Rose
Rice
Mills
Vaught
Rice
Riley(Clippers)
Grant
Higgins(Nets)
Tarpley

Jazzy J

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
blud...@news.gate.net (Rob Mac K) writes:
>>>Hurley, and Davis) and one who was drafted but didn't make the final cut
>> ~~~~~
>> Just a point of fact, Rob. Davis only _practiced_ in the NBA. (;-}

>Wrong as usual. He played with the T-Wolves for two years -- which is
>two years longer than anybody thought he would last.

Uh, sorry Rob. Only *one* year. Last season, averaged 1.9 ppg,
0.8 rpg. He spent 92-93 playing for Pau Orthez in the French
League...

Asmin Pathare

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <3m0t0c$9...@news.duke.edu>, w...@acpub.duke.edu (WILLIAM GAY) writes:

|> Strike out Rogers. Didn't Aaron Bain play there as well?
|>
|> -Will

The original writer should have included Roderick Rhodes instead of Rodney Rogers.
Dehere, Hurley, and Walker were starters as seniors, and I think Rhodes also started.
I think Bobby's brother Danny Hurley was on this team, but I'm pretty
sure he didn't start. I don't know about Bain.

Asmin "Oz" Pathare
a...@thesun.ess.ucla.edu

Bob Richards

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <3m1ao1$9...@seminole.gate.net>,

Rob Mac K <blud...@news.gate.net> wrote:

>Yeah, well, I heard that Jerry Stackhouse and Rasheed Wallace are both
>planning on transferring to Fresno. And Vince Carter is going to renege
>on his verbal commitment and sign with them as well.

Oh yea, well I just heard that Glenn Robinson is quitting the NBA and
going back to school at Fresno State. Tark has convinced the NCAA that
Robinson still has one year of availability left. Glenn has agreed to
play for Tark, citing a comment from Tark saying that Glenn can make more
money playing for him at Fresno State than he can in the NBA... :)

Upon hearing this news, Chris Webber changed his name to Arnold
Schwarzenegger and enrolled as a freshman foreign exchange student... :)

:)
____ _ _
|____/| |/ \| _ \/ \| '__\/ |/ ___| wan...@expert.cc.purdue.edu
| _ \| | -- | | | | - | | | - |\___ \ Purdue University
|_| |_|_|\___/|_| |_|\___/\_| \___/_____| | Go Boilers!!
|___________________________________________/ Back-To-Back Big Ten Champs!

WILLIAM D. ROHLAND

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
Joseph Harold Turner (jtu...@emory.edu) wrote:
: Marburry's dad does not have the required college degree to get a head
: coaching job. Maybe Tark will hire one of Stephon's brothers. BTW, his
: dad said that he was still committed to TECH.

Marburry is headed to Fresno. Apparently Tark has been talking with
Marburry since late December. Come on guys, you dont think Tark would
come in and be a flop do you? Look for Marburry's brother to get some
sort of coaching/administrative job as well. Good thing Tark wants
everything to be on the up and up, you might think this would smack of
NCAA violation, 'cept that Marburry only VERBALLY committed, never
actually signed....should be interesting to see what happens.

--
Bill Rohland
wroh...@osf1.gmu.edu

brian odom

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
sre...@panix.com (Sreekar Shastry) writes:

>I was thinking of this years North Carolina team. Stackhouse,
>Wallace, and Williams are all 1st round picks. Calabria and McInnis
>are also likely to be drafted in the 1st round. Has there ever been a

>team where all 5 starters on the team were eventually drafted in the
>1st round and played in the NBA? Syracuse a few years back, perhaps?
>Any others?

maybe a duke team or carolina team. all drafted 1st round?? i don't
think it's been done. possibly ucla.

michigan might. depends on jimmy king and ray jackson.
unlv had augmon, johnson, ackles, hunt, and anthony.
hunt wasn't drafted i don't think, but he did play.

Charles Philip Dieringer

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
> Reply to: pby...@indyvax.iupui.edu
>
> RE: EVER A TEAM WITH ALL 5 STARTERS IN THE NBA?
>
> 6 Apr 95 01:47:44 -0500
> Newsgroups:
> rec.sport.basketball.college
> Reply to newsgroup(s)

>> Dehere, Bobby Hurley, Rodney Rogers, Jerry Walker, and some other pretty
>> good guy (maybe Anthony Avent?)
>>

>Luther Wright?
>
>St. Johns '85 lineup: Chris Mulin, Mark Jackson, Bill Wennington and Walter
>Berry all played pro ball, does anybody know about Willie Glass?

Was Kenny Smith a freshman in '82? If so, it was Smith, Micheal Jordan,
Sam Perkins, Brad Dougherty, and James Worthy. Good enough?
| Chuck Dieringer cd12...@oak.cats.ohiou.edu | "Let every man be, swift
| "Nothing's coming to my mind..." | to hear, slow to speak,
----------------------------------------------- slow to wrath."

Mike

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
In article <D6LFu...@zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU> jmc...@zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU (Jerry McKune) writes:
>From: jmc...@zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU (Jerry McKune)
>Subject: Stephon Marbury, Ga.Tech, and Fresno State!
>Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 03:18:05 GMT

>It was just reported on local our news that a newspaper in Atlanta
>said that one of Georgia Tech's top recruits...Stephon Marbury out of
>New York City who has verbally committed there will de-commit, and
>reportedly sign with Fresno State. The article also stated that
>Tarkanian will hire Don Marbury, Stephon's father, a construction
>worker in New York as his assistant. Again can anyone confirm or deny
>these reports?

The Daily News in N.Y. quoted Marbury saying, "Tark told me he might get a
job and told me not to commit. I spoke to him a couple of times, and he said
if he got a job he'd give me a call. What could I say? He's one of the best
coaches in the country."
The article also reported Tarkanian is considering hiring Donnie Marbury,
Stephon's older brother, as an assistant.
When asked if the prospect of playing for The Shark and his brother would sway
his decision, Stephon asked, "Would it sway you?"

Thad Williamson

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95
Kevin Garnett also will be going to Fresno State, and Jerry Stackhouse and
Charles O'Bannon will be transferring there. ;)

Marc Ivan Miller

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
LSU in '89-'90

Chris Jackson
Stanley Roberts
Shaquille O'Neal
Geert Hammink (started in '88, but redshirted in '89)

All 1st round draft picks for the NBA

Tigerman

Charles Board

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95

In article <D6MGF...@boss.cs.ohiou.edu>, cd12...@oak.cats.ohiou.edu (Charles Philip Dieringer) writes:

|> Was Kenny Smith a freshman in '82? If so, it was Smith, Micheal Jordan,
|> Sam Perkins, Brad Dougherty, and James Worthy. Good enough?

Nope. Smith was a freshman in '84...and Daugherty was a freshman in '83.

R. Jayakrishnan

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
James Goloboy (Marblehead HS 96) <jgol...@k12.ucs.umass.edu> wrote:

>The Boston\ston Globe has been reporting for the last few days that
>not only has Marbury been considering Fresno St., but also that
>Tarkanian was attempting to assemble a "dream team" of recruits
>before he took the Fresno job.

Well, add another rumor that I heard, that the hot-shot cant-make-up-his-
mind-on-which-school-to-graduate-from seven-foot center, Mark Blount from
New York (Gibbons #50, decommitted from UMass) is now considering Fresno
State (he was considering Texas and 'Cuse before).

Fresno State already has a couple of good recruits, and Tarkanian may just
about put together a 'dream team'.. The other rumors/Espn reports below.

Jay

From: Joseph Harold Turner <jtu...@emory.edu>

From: gt9...@prism.gatech.edu (Bigfoot)

OK, this is getting ridiculous. ESPN just said that Tarkanian is also
offering a random Marbury brother, maybe Eric "Skydog" Marbury, a job as
assistant coach at Fresno State. ESPN also quoted Stephon as saying that
"he could be swayed into changing his mind." Who else sees something
really illegal occurring?

I know that verbal commitments do not mean anything, but this entire
Tarkanian situation is getting ridiculous. As a Tech student and fan, I
really want to see Marbury here next year, but I can see where this is
heading, and I am NOT happy.

From: dek...@uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu (Paul Dekker)

(Jerry McKune) wrote:

> It was just reported on local our news that a newspaper in Atlanta
> said that one of Georgia Tech's top recruits...Stephon Marbury out of
> New York City who has verbally committed there will de-commit, and
> reportedly sign with Fresno State. The article also stated that
> Tarkanian will hire Don Marbury, Stephon's father, a construction
> worker in New York as his assistant. Again can anyone confirm or deny
> these reports?

Ron Mercer has reportedly said that if Marbury commits to Fresno State

pby...@indyvax.iupui.edu

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
In article <3m1lmc$2d...@nntp2.u.washington.edu>, nega...@u.washington.edu (Henry Drew) writes:
> arizone state of the early 80s:
>
> alton lister
> fat lever
> byron scott
> (can't remember the rest, if there were others)
>
> arizona of a few years ago (89?), not all 1st rounders,
> but they all played in the nba:
>
> sean elliott
> tom tolbert
> anthony cook
> jud beuchler
> steve kerr

graduated after the '88 season

Christopher Scott Campbell

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
In article <3m2fm8$9...@news.rain.org>, <bhu...@rain.org> wrote:
>Jerry McKune (jmc...@zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU) wrote:
>
>> hiring of Jerry Tarkanian, for the gender levelling implementations.
>
>> -J
>
>Jerry, I was just wondering if you ever read my messages correcting you
>on Avandre Jones' supposed playing on the "National Champion JoCo" team,
>and how you called that guy stupid for saying they lost in the early
>rounds of the SoCal tournament when in fact we (Ventura College) beat
>them in the 3rd round of 6 rounds (Final 16) with your hero Tark coaching
>them to defeat??????
>Just wondering why you never responded??
>
>Brian

If you want his attention, then email him. If you're just trying
to point out that his post on the details of Jerry Tarkanian's
contract may be skethcy then say so. Personally your post seemed
to lack...

I have a question. Does this mean that some of that talk of Avondre
Jones going to Fresno State may be true after all? This, coupled with
the talk of Marbury has this story just dripping with NCAA investigations...

Not that I was ever impressed by Jones' play at USC, he once said
that he'd "like to take Shaq out on a wing, up fake him, then take
him to the hole, and DUNK!!!" Or something like that. Well, it
just seems to me that Jones' is much more comfortable being the big
guy on the court, and not playing anyone near Shaq's size or ability.

Christopher

--
Christopher Scott Campbell * Laurie got offended that I
csca...@tuba.aix.calpoly.edu * used the word "puke." But

Frank Yeh Jr.

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
: This question deserves to be ask. What college has the most players in the NBA?

: Michigan has 11?

: Webber
: Howard
: Rose
: Rice
: Mills
: Vaught
: Rice
: Riley(Clippers)
: Grant
: Higgins(Nets)
: Tarpley

At the beginning of this season, UCLA had 12. I can't name them all, and most
of them are not in the star category, but for sheer numbers, I believe UCLA had
the most players of any school at the start of the season. Since then, Darrick
Martin has been signed for the season by THe T'Wolves.

The ones I can think of are: Reggie Miller, Don Maclean, Tracy Murray,
Gerald Madkins, Mitchell Butler, Richard Petruska, Trevor Wilson, and Martin.

I expect 3 more after this year's draft.

Jazzy?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Frank Yeh, Jr. MDIS
fy...@ca.mdis.com 18881 Von Karman, Ste. 1800
"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire Irvine, Ca. 92715-1589

Christopher P Geiger

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
Jerry McKune (jmc...@zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU) wrote:

: It was just reported on local our news that a newspaper in Atlanta
: said that one of Georgia Tech's top recruits...Stephon Marbury out of
: New York City who has verbally committed there will de-commit, and
: reportedly sign with Fresno State. The article also stated that
: Tarkanian will hire Don Marbury, Stephon's father, a construction
: worker in New York as his assistant. Again can anyone confirm or deny
: these reports?

: Also, if anyone has any information on Stephon Marbury, stats,
: anything like that if you could mail them to me or post them I would
: appreciate it.

: -J

I hate to say this, being a Michigan fan, but does anybody think that
Kevin Garnett might follow Marbury to Fresno St.? They are good friends,
and Garnett was supposedly thinking about attending GT just because
Marbury committed there.

CG

Warren Usui

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
In article <3m0smg$h...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>,
JOHN CAPLE <jca...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
:In <3lv1qt$i...@panix3.panix.com> sre...@panix.com (Sreekar Shastry)
:writes:
:
:>
:>I was thinking of this years North Carolina team. Stackhouse,
:>Wallace, and Williams are all 1st round picks. Calabria and McInnis
:>are also likely to be drafted in the 1st round. Has there ever been a
:>team where all 5 starters on the team were eventually drafted in the
:>1st round and played in the NBA? Syracuse a few years back, perhaps?
:>Any others?
:
:UCLA of 92 had all five starters in the NBA at least at on time:
:
:Tracy Murray - Portland
:Don MacClean - Washington
:Mitchel Butler - Washington
:Gerald Madkins - Cleveland
:Richard Petruska - Portland

I think one of the Indiana teams in the '70s had all five starters play in
the NBA (Quinn Buckner was one of the players on that team).

During the Wooden-era, I think that one UCLA team had all five starters
play in the NBA.
Sidney Wicks
Curtis Rowe
Steve Patterson
Henry Bibby
John Vallely

Jeffrey Davis

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
Jazzy J wrote:
+"brian odom" writes:
+>michigan might. depends on jimmy king and ray jackson.
+
+ Given what might happen, not likely.
+
+>unlv had augmon, johnson, ackles, hunt, and anthony.
+>hunt wasn't drafted i don't think, but he did play.
+
+ Hunt wasn't drafted, and has not yet played in the NBA. Ackles
+ was also a 2nd round pick too...

Ohio St 60-61 (Lucas, Havilcek, Siegfried, Roberts ....???)
Indiana 74-75 (7 players! Green, Abernathy, May, Wilkerson, Buckner, Laskowski,
Benson)
Indiana 75-76 (6 players....all but Steve Green from above)
?? Arizona St (had Byron Scott, Kurt Nimphius....I'm very unsure about this one)
--
Jeffrey Davis <da...@ca.uky.edu> ...down in the cellar eating sauerkraut.

Paul Dekker

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95

> I hate to say this, being a Michigan fan, but does anybody think that
> Kevin Garnett might follow Marbury to Fresno St.? They are good friends,
> and Garnett was supposedly thinking about attending GT just because
> Marbury committed there.
>
> CG

That's true. There have been some rumblings about Tark getting in touch
with Garnett's HS coach. Could be interesting.

--
Hank Wilson

Neil Das Gupta

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
In article <3m0n21$2...@nrtphba6.bnr.ca>, markham@b4pphf7 (Andrew Markham) says:

>I'd be willing to be my hat that Calabria will _NOT_ be a first round pick.

I assume you meant "bet," not "be." :)

In any case, I'm willing to bet a helluva lot more than that. Unless,
of course, your hat is something pretty special.

No way Dante goes first round.

Neil Das Gupta "The man that hath no music in himself
u29...@uicvm.uic.edu Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."
*********When you hear hooves, look for horses, not zebras**************

hida...@green-anaheim.eng.sematech.org

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
The 1989 Michigan championship team had all five starters drafted
that year (Glen Rice) and the following year (Remeal Robinson,
Terry Mills, Lloid Vaught, and Shawn Higgins).
All but Higgings (2nd rnd) were top 10 picks, and all but Robinson
are currently in the NBA (Rice, Mills, and Vaught start for the Heat,
Pistons, and Clippers). Higgins comes off the bench for the Nets.

Since 1980 the Michigan Wolverines have had 11 players
drafted to the NBA (in this order): Roy Tarpley (Mavericks),
Gary Grant (Clippers), the five starters from the 1989
championship team as listed above, Eric Riley (Rockets),
Chris Webber (Bullets), Jowan Howard (Bullets),
Jalen Rose (Nuggets).

Summary of current Wolverines in the NBA:

6 starters (Rice, Mills, Vaught, Webber, Howard, Rose).
4 bench (Grant, Riley, Tarpley, Higgins).

In reference to a trivia question in another post, Gary Grant had a
(very small) part in a Movie, but I can't recall the name. He plays
himself in that movie.

Gregory Gee

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
The 1979 BYU team had 5 future NBA players (yes, BYU), but only 4 were
starters:

G- Danny Ainge
C- Greg Kite
F- Devin Durrant
F- Fred Roberts
6th man- Steve Trumbo

Trumbo only played 2 years for the Utah Jazz and Durrant only played
a couple with the Indiana Pacers. The other three (Ainge, Roberts
and Kite) are all *still* playing in the NBA 16 years later.

BTW, the 5th starter was Steve Craig, a guard, who ended up marrying
(and later divorcing) Marie Osmond.

-Greg Gee (g...@wordperfect.com)

dgl...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
In article <jazzyjD6...@netcom.com>, jaz...@netcom.com (Jazzy J) writes:

> Eric Lin <eri...@u.washington.edu> writes:
>>Michigan -- Robinson, Mills, Vaught, Rice, Higgins???, one more?
>
> 88-89 Michigan, and 89-90 Michigan. Close, but no cigar. Why?
> Because Mike Griffin started. :)
>
>>UCLA -- Maclean, Murray, Madkins, Butler, Martin (yes, he's with the Wolves)
>
> A starting lineup that all made the pros, but not all 1st round
> picks (3 of the 5 undrafted in fact!).

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Indiana of 1976. Their starting lineup
was Scot May, Tom Abernathy, Kent Benson, Bobby Wilkerson, and Quin Buckner. I
am pretty sure they all played in the NBA. And all but Abernathy were first
round draft picks. BTW, had Bird not transferred the year before, he would have
been there as well (I think).

Doug

Fred Fahey

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
I still think the 1987 draft was amazing with 3 players from the
same high school team being drafted on the first round (Muggsy Bogues,
Reggie Williams, Reggie Lewis). In addition, David Wingate was on
that team.

Fred

Fred Fahey

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
In article i...@panix3.panix.com, sre...@panix.com (Sreekar Shastry) writes:
>I was thinking of this years North Carolina team. Stackhouse,
>Wallace, and Williams are all 1st round picks.

I will be surprised if Williams is a first round pick, particualry if
all those underclassmen come out.

Fred

Fred Fahey

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95

Fred Fahey

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
In article f...@saba.info.ucla.edu, a...@theblob.ess.ucla.edu (Asmin Pathare) writes:
I don't know about Bain.

Aaaron Bain went to Flint Hill in VA with Dennis Scott, George Lynch, and
Randolph Childress.

Fred

dgl...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
In article <3lvam3$h...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, ca3...@dclipc11.cen.uiuc.edu (Chintan Kiran Amin) writes:
> blud...@news.gate.net (Rob Mac K) writes:
>

>>Duke in '92 had four starters that played in the NBA (Laettner, Hill,
>>Hurley, and Davis) and one who was drafted but didn't make the final cut
> ~~~~~
>
> Just a point of fact, Rob. Davis only _practiced_ in the NBA. (;-}

No. He got minutes this year and last for the mighty Minnesota TWolves. Yeah,
they got a real deep bench. ":)

Jazzy J

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
cd12...@oak.cats.ohiou.edu (Charles Philip Dieringer) writes:
>Was Kenny Smith a freshman in '82? If so, it was Smith, Micheal Jordan,
>Sam Perkins, Brad Dougherty, and James Worthy. Good enough?

Not only did Smith not play with Worthy at UNC (he was a frosh
in 81-82), Brad Daugherty didn't either (frosh in 82-83). Only
Jordan/Worthy/Perkins went to the NBA from the 81-82 championship
team.

Jazzy J

--
Jazzy J v4.0 "'95" (Netcom) | (O):(913) 676-8962
Systems Engineer / Seaboard Corporation | (H):(913) 381-3173

Lewis Rowe RO0LZZZ!!!

bhu...@rain.org

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
Jerry McKune (jmc...@zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU) wrote:

> hiring of Jerry Tarkanian, for the gender levelling implementations.

> -J

Jerry, I was just wondering if you ever read my messages correcting you
on Avandre Jones' supposed playing on the "National Champion JoCo" team,
and how you called that guy stupid for saying they lost in the early
rounds of the SoCal tournament when in fact we (Ventura College) beat
them in the 3rd round of 6 rounds (Final 16) with your hero Tark coaching
them to defeat??????
Just wondering why you never responded??

Brian

--
--bhu...@coyote.rain.org

Jazzy J

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
"brian odom" <bo...@banana.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
>michigan might. depends on jimmy king and ray jackson.

Given what might happen, not likely.

>unlv had augmon, johnson, ackles, hunt, and anthony.

>hunt wasn't drafted i don't think, but he did play.

Hunt wasn't drafted, and has not yet played in the NBA. Ackles

was also a 2nd round pick too...

Jazzy J

Jazzy J

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
jaz...@netcom.com (Jazzy J) writes:
> When you're talking about Marbury's brother, could U be referring
> to Norman Marbury? Whatever happened to this guy's college career?
> In HS, he was rated with the likes of Khalid Reeves, Jamal Mashburn,
> and Adrian Autry in the NY scene...

Did a little research on Norman Marbury and found he committed to
Tennessee, but decided to redshirt his freshman year. After that,
he disappeared... anyone have any insights into this? Did he
take the Sherlock Holmes/John Staggers route and disappear off the
face of the earth?

Glenn Tanner

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
wan...@expert.cc.purdue.edu (Bob Richards) writes:

>In article <3m1ao1$9...@seminole.gate.net>,
>Rob Mac K <blud...@news.gate.net> wrote:
>>
>>Yeah, well, I heard that Jerry Stackhouse and Rasheed Wallace are both
>>planning on transferring to Fresno. And Vince Carter is going to renege
>>on his verbal commitment and sign with them as well.

>Oh yea, well I just heard that Glenn Robinson is quitting the NBA and
>going back to school at Fresno State. Tark has convinced the NCAA that
>Robinson still has one year of availability left. Glenn has agreed to
>play for Tark, citing a comment from Tark saying that Glenn can make more
>money playing for him at Fresno State than he can in the NBA... :)

>Upon hearing this news, Chris Webber changed his name to Arnold
>Schwarzenegger and enrolled as a freshman foreign exchange student... :)

Michael Jordan will also play for Fresno State next year. Apparently,
he left school as a junior, so he still has one year of eligibility
remaining.

GT

Jazzy J

Apr 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/7/95
wroh...@osf1.gmu.edu (WILLIAM D. ROHLAND) writes:
>: Marburry's dad does not have the required college degree to get a head
>: coaching job. Maybe Tark will hire one of Stephon's brothers. BTW, his
>: dad said that he was still committed to TECH.

>Marburry is headed to Fresno. Apparently Tark has been talking with
>Marburry since late December. Come on guys, you dont think Tark would
>come in and be a flop do you? Look for Marburry's brother to get some
>sort of coaching/administrative job as well. Good thing Tark wants
>everything to be on the up and up, you might think this would smack of
>NCAA violation, 'cept that Marburry only VERBALLY committed, never
>actually signed....should be interesting to see what happens.

When you're talking about Marbury's brother, could U be referring
to Norman Marbury? Whatever happened to this guy's college career?
In HS, he was rated with the likes of Khalid Reeves, Jamal Mashburn,
and Adrian Autry in the NY scene...

Jazzy J

Ben Browdy

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
In article <3lv2qb$f...@redstone.interpath.net>,
Stasiu <sta...@munchkin.pdial.interpath.net> writes:

>Probably some of the UCLA teams and others.

In 1978-79 UCLA started 4 first round draft choices.

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
BenBrowdyIBDFBLB@MVS:OAC:UCLA:EDUdepartmentofEpidemiology

John R. Kelly

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
In article <1995040801...@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>,
IBD...@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (Ben Browdy) wrote:

> In article <3lv2qb$f...@redstone.interpath.net>,
> Stasiu <sta...@munchkin.pdial.interpath.net> writes:
>

> >Probably some of the UCLA teams and others.
> >

> In 1978-79 UCLA started 4 first round draft choices.

Haven't seen any posting on Syracuse teams of late 80s early 90s--with
some overlapping and memory lapses on my part, the players in NBA would
include:

Derrick Coleman: NJ Nets
Sherman Douglas: Boston Celtics
Billy Owens: Miami Heat
Rony Seikaly: Golden State
Stevie Thompson: can't remember where: LA? now with Magic's team.
(noted for usually leading summer leagues--still--in scoring,
at 6'3" "power" forward!)

Pearl Washington: NJ Nets (slighly earlier?)

and others I can't remember, though Leo Rautins (Philly) may have been in
that group as a senior while Owens a freshman...there was another slender
shooting forward from, I believe, a high school in 'Cincy who played on
the team with first four above and had career in NBA. The sad thing about
Rautins is the knee permanently torn up in NCCAs his senior year. He was
as entertaining a collegiate player as I've ever seen.

Adam Barnhart

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
The O'Bannons went to school at Artesia high in Lakewood, California with
Avondre Jones, who's a marginal pro candidate....he looked really good at
first, but hasn't picked up his game enough to be a serious NBA candidate.
Probably a CBA'er or a European player. So there's potential there.
But you can say that about a lot of the recent classes from good
basketball schools: Oak Hill Academy, Crenshaw, Long Beach Poly, DeMathea,
Morningside....

-
Adam D. Barnhart
ydn...@prodigy.com

Adam Barnhart

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
IBD...@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (Ben Browdy) wrote:

>In article <3lv2qb$f...@redstone.interpath.net>,
>Stasiu <sta...@munchkin.pdial.interpath.net> writes:
>

>>Probably some of the UCLA teams and others.
>>

> In 1978-79 UCLA started 4 first round draft choices.

Hell, Sven Nater, who never started a game at UCLA, was drafted (second
round?) and had a long and prosperous career as a the ridiculously tall
center that most NBA teams carry on their roster now, but rarely did then.
He was 7'5", as I recall -- a Manute Bol/Shawn Bradley type...

Jazzy J

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
hida...@green-anaheim.eng.sematech.org writes:
>The 1989 Michigan championship team had all five starters drafted
>that year (Glen Rice) and the following year (Remeal Robinson,
>Terry Mills, Lloid Vaught, and Shawn Higgins).
>All but Higgings (2nd rnd) were top 10 picks, and all but Robinson
>are currently in the NBA (Rice, Mills, and Vaught start for the Heat,
>Pistons, and Clippers). Higgins comes off the bench for the Nets.

Higgins was indeed drafted, but Michigan doesn't qualify because
Mike Griffin was your starting off guard (or small forward). He
didn't make the pros. Higgins typically came off of the bench.

>Since 1980 the Michigan Wolverines have had 11 players
>drafted to the NBA (in this order): Roy Tarpley (Mavericks),
>Gary Grant (Clippers), the five starters from the 1989
>championship team as listed above, Eric Riley (Rockets),
>Chris Webber (Bullets), Jowan Howard (Bullets),
>Jalen Rose (Nuggets).

Actually, Michigan has had more players than that drafted since
1980 -- off hand I can think of Mike McGee and Tim McCormick that
were 1st round picks that you're not listing. Plus, remember that
the draft was as long as 10 rounds long in the early 80's, and the
likes of Eric Turner, Richard Rellford, Antoine Joubert, etc were
all drafted as well in the later rounds.

Jazzy J

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
g...@xgg.orem.novell.com (Gregory Gee) writes:
>The 1979 BYU team had 5 future NBA players (yes, BYU), but only 4 were
>starters:

>G- Danny Ainge
>C- Greg Kite
>F- Devin Durrant
>F- Fred Roberts
>6th man- Steve Trumbo

Just a nitpick, but that was the '80 team, not the '79 team (Kite
didn't come aboard until 79-80).

>Trumbo only played 2 years for the Utah Jazz and Durrant only played
>a couple with the Indiana Pacers. The other three (Ainge, Roberts
>and Kite) are all *still* playing in the NBA 16 years later.

Actually, are U sure U're not thinking of Andy Toolson who was on
the end of the Jazz bench? Trumbo never made the pros, much less
the Jazz (at least actively playing in a game, he could have done
one of those IR moves).

Jazzy J

Apr 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/8/95
jca...@ix.netcom.com (JOHN CAPLE) writes:
>UCLA of 92 had all five starters in the NBA at least at on time:

>Tracy Murray - Portland
>Don MacClean - Washington
>Mitchel Butler - Washington
>Gerald Madkins - Cleveland
>Richard Petruska - Portland

Actually, what U have here is a mixture of UCLA 91-92 and UCLA
92-93. Petruska only played 1 year at UCLA after transferring
in from Loyola Marymount, and that was in 92-93 (and he played for
Houston, not Portland). 92-93 doesn't qualify because Shon
Tarver hasn't made the pros yet (or Ed O'Bannon or Tyus Edney,
but those should come soon). 91-92 doesn't qualify either --
Tarver started that year as well.

90-91 qualifies, however. Starting lineup was MacLean, Murray,
Martin, Madkins, and Butler (talk about M&M&M&M boyz!). 89-90
also qualifies as the lineup was MacLean, Murray, Martin, Madkins,
and Trevor Wilson. Before that, U have to go to the early 80's
to find another entire starting lineup that ended up in the pros.

Of course, it's only with the mid-season entrance of Darrick Martin
with the Wolves this season that qualifies the recent teams.
Considering the way Darrick ended his UCLA career, could anyone
have predicted this?

Jazzy J

Apr 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/9/95
dgl...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I'm going to take a wild guess and say Indiana of 1976. Their starting lineup
>was Scot May, Tom Abernathy, Kent Benson, Bobby Wilkerson, and Quin Buckner. I
>am pretty sure they all played in the NBA. And all but Abernathy were first
>round draft picks. BTW, had Bird not transferred the year before, he would have
>been there as well (I think).

All 5 starters from the 75-76 team did indeed play in the pros
(and I believe 1 or 2 reserves as well). Think if Bird had stayed
IU might have been a *repeat* undefeated champ in 75-76 instead a
single championship? (74-75 saw Indiana go undefeated until a
loss in the reginal final to Kentucky).

Bryan W. Johnson

Apr 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/9/95
Sreekar Shastry (sre...@panix.com) wrote:
> I was thinking of this years North Carolina team. Stackhouse,
> Wallace, and Williams are all 1st round picks. Calabria and McInnis
> are also likely to be drafted in the 1st round. Has there ever been a
> team where all 5 starters on the team were eventually drafted in the
> 1st round and played in the NBA? Syracuse a few years back, perhaps?
> Any others?

Boston College came close last year - 4 out of 5. UConn could
do it in the next year (based on the starters from last year
and this year - Donyell Marshall, Donny Marshall, Ray Allen,
Doron Sheffer, Kevin Ollie, and Travis Knight. It all depends
on if Ollie and Sheffer will play in the NBA... Michigan is
bound to have the same results, when the remaining 2/5 of the
fab five go pro...

[[========================================================================]]
[[ Bryan Johnson Arizona State University ]]
[[ email: bry...@asu.edu WWW: http://enuxsa.eas.asu.edu/~johnson ]]
[[ "When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if ]]
[[ they ever press charges." - Jack Handey ]]
[[========================================================================]]

dtk

Apr 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/9/95
The 1975 Indiana team (the year before their Nat'l Championship) had
their first SEVEN players in pro ball.

May
Buckner
Wilkerson
Benson
Steve Green (ABA)
Abernathy
John Laskowski (ABA)

Joel G Burken

Apr 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/9/95

I Iowa team of 86-87 had 7 players that played
in the NBA at one time or another, and most for short periods.

The seven:

Kevin Gamble W/ Heat
Roy Marble Atlanta
BJ Armstrong W/ Bulls
Ed Horton Philly (I think)
Brad Lohaus W/ Heat
Bill Jones Nets

Les Jepsen Warriors

The first six logged big minutes on that team that
went 11 deep, Jepsen was a pine rider. I don't remember the
main starting lineup, but in Dr. Tom's first year a lot
of lineups were used and I'd bet 5 of the above six started
a few games together.

Also, this team shoulda and coulda won it all.

Joel G. Burken
Environmental Engineering
University of Iowa.

Milt Epstein

Apr 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/10/95
jaz...@netcom.com (Jazzy J) writes:

>jca...@ix.netcom.com (JOHN CAPLE) writes:
>>UCLA of 92 had all five starters in the NBA at least at on time:
>
>>Tracy Murray - Portland
>>Don MacClean - Washington
>>Mitchel Butler - Washington
>>Gerald Madkins - Cleveland
>>Richard Petruska - Portland
>
> Actually, what U have here is a mixture of UCLA 91-92 and UCLA
> 92-93. Petruska only played 1 year at UCLA after transferring
> in from Loyola Marymount, and that was in 92-93 (and he played for
> Houston, not Portland). 92-93 doesn't qualify because Shon
> Tarver hasn't made the pros yet (or Ed O'Bannon or Tyus Edney,
> but those should come soon). 91-92 doesn't qualify either --
> Tarver started that year as well.
>
> 90-91 qualifies, however. Starting lineup was MacLean, Murray,
> Martin, Madkins, and Butler (talk about M&M&M&M boyz!). 89-90
> also qualifies as the lineup was MacLean, Murray, Martin, Madkins,
> and Trevor Wilson. Before that, U have to go to the early 80's
> to find another entire starting lineup that ended up in the pros.

I've been following some of this thread of late, but I'm not exactly
sure what's being looked for -- a college team where all five starters
made the pros, or where all five starters were drafted in the first
round? And how many of each have been found?

--
Milt Epstein
Visiting Research Programmer National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC)
eps...@napcc-hp.cvm.uiuc.edu College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM)
(or meps...@uiuc.edu) University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)

tcadams

Apr 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/10/95
In article <3m9imd$l...@news.icaen.uiowa.edu>,

That was a helluva team, but they didn't win the Big 10, and anyone who
gags a 22(?) point lead in the tournament like they did against UNLV
probably isn't a championship-level team.

Tom Adams KU '93

It is loading more messages.