Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

TWS

ungelesen,
11.03.1998, 03:00:0011.03.98
an

Can someone tell me what the average fast-ball pitch speed is for the
average man ?

Tom Austin

ungelesen,
11.03.1998, 03:00:0011.03.98
an

TWS wrote:

> Can someone tell me what the average fast-ball pitch speed is for the
> average man ?

Average major-league pitcher, about 87, I'd guess.

Average 30+ league pitcher in the league I'm in: about 77.

My top speed: I'd be lucky to reach 67.

Sean Lahman

ungelesen,
11.03.1998, 03:00:0011.03.98
an

I'd draw a distinction between "average man" and "average weekend
pitcher". I worked in a pitching cage one summer, where you win a prize
if you can guess your speed. I'd wager that the average guy walking
down the street can't break 50. Guys like Tom who work at it are
probably 10-15 mph faster.

I pitched in college, and the fastest I ever threw on a gun was 74 mph.
Other guys at that level who were better than me topped out in the upper
80s.

--
Sean Lahman / se...@baseball1.com
The Baseball Archive - http://www.baseball1.com

Jeff Drummond

ungelesen,
11.03.1998, 03:00:0011.03.98
an

In article <6e6dcd$1a5$1...@usenet76.supernews.com>, sch...@spectra.net (TWS) writes:
|> Can someone tell me what the average fast-ball pitch speed is for the
|> average man ?

Not unless you first tell us how you define "the average man."

-Jeff j...@cray.com
--
"When a superior player hears of the Tao,
he immediately begins to embody it.

James Weisberg

ungelesen,
11.03.1998, 03:00:0011.03.98
an

In article <6e6tos$9mt$1...@walter-fddi.cray.com>,
Jeff Drummond <j...@cray.com> wrote:
>In article <6e6dcd$1a5$1...@usenet76.supernews.com>, sch...@spectra.net:
>|> Can someone tell me what the average fast-ball pitch speed is for the
>|> average man ?
>
>Not unless you first tell us how you define "the average man."

That's easy. Just take the average stats for all the
men with average fastballs.

--
World's Greatest Living Poster

Fore Steven James

ungelesen,
11.03.1998, 03:00:0011.03.98
an

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, TWS wrote:

> Can someone tell me what the average fast-ball pitch speed is for the
> average man ?

Well, I'm extraordinarily average, and my fast ball tops out at about
52mph. Take that, Bob Tewksbury!

Steve Fore

Chris Dial

ungelesen,
11.03.1998, 03:00:0011.03.98
an

Tom Austin wrote in message <3506E2...@optilink.dsccc.com>...

>TWS wrote:
>>
>> Can someone tell me what the average fast-ball pitch speed is for the
>> average man ?
>
>Average major-league pitcher, about 87, I'd guess.

I think it is at least 88.(On an asymptotic graph, that's a lot).

>Average 30+ league pitcher in the league I'm in: about 77.

Good lord! You must have one killer league. I am playing in my third
different league, and maybe three or four guys (out of 60) can get it like
that.

>My top speed: I'd be lucky to reach 67.

This is closer to what I think is going on; 65-72.

I faced Frank DiMichele ('87 Angels) and it was brutal. Not to mention he
pitches left-handed and I bat left-handed. My wife came down out of the
stands while he was warming up and said, "this guy throws WAY harder than
everyone else. Don't get hit, it'll kill you." I got my four pitches and
went and sat down (the ump *thought* I'd checked my swing on a curve). He
said he throws 85...

Chris Dial

Tom Austin

ungelesen,
11.03.1998, 03:00:0011.03.98
an

Chris Dial

> Tom Austin wrote in message <3506E2...@optilink.dsccc.com>...
> >TWS wrote:
> >>
> >> Can someone tell me what the average fast-ball pitch speed is for the
> >> average man ?
> >
> >Average major-league pitcher, about 87, I'd guess.
>
> I think it is at least 88.(On an asymptotic graph, that's a lot)

you're probably right. We tend to think of 87 as "slow" on the major
league level.
That perception could be erroneous.

> >Average 30+ league pitcher in the league I'm in: about 77.
>
> Good lord! You must have one killer league. I am playing in my third
> different league, and maybe three or four guys (out of 60) can get it like
> that.

yeah, that's it! one killer league! that's why I can't crack the
Mendoza!

seriously, the second-place team from our tougher division (National)
won it all in their division in the Arizona tournament. There's some
high-level players in our league. A lot of ex-college studs and the
occasional ex-pro.

> >My top speed: I'd be lucky to reach 67.
>
> This is closer to what I think is going on; 65-72.

On second thought then, I'd be lucky to crack 60. To clarify, I think
every team in our league has one "power" pitcher who throws mid-70's and
up, and three or four finesse guys who throw 50-65. We have a guy,
however, Tim "Tornado" Tucker, who has to throw 88. (78 IP, 82 K, 80
BB). I am very, very glad Tim is on our team. He can walk the
ballpark. He hit a guy in the helmet once. wow. But he would always
rush to the plate saying "sorry, sorry" when he hit someone.

> I faced Frank DiMichele ('87 Angels) and it was brutal. Not to mention he
> pitches left-handed and I bat left-handed. My wife came down out of the
> stands while he was warming up and said, "this guy throws WAY harder than
> everyone else. Don't get hit, it'll kill you."

thanks for your support, dear.

> I got my four pitches and
> went and sat down

oh heck, *lots* of guys can do that to me...

Chris Dial

ungelesen,
11.03.1998, 03:00:0011.03.98
an

Tom Austin wrote in message <3506E2...@optilink.dsccc.com>...
>TWS wrote:
>>
>> Can someone tell me what the average fast-ball pitch speed is for the
>> average man ?
>
>Average major-league pitcher, about 87, I'd guess.

I think it is at least 88.(On an asymptotic graph, that's a lot).

>Average 30+ league pitcher in the league I'm in: about 77.

Good lord! You must have one killer league. I am playing in my third
different league, and maybe three or four guys (out of 60) can get it like
that.

>My top speed: I'd be lucky to reach 67.

This is closer to what I think is going on; 65-72.

I faced Frank DiMichele ('87 Angels) and it was brutal. Not to mention he

pitches left-handed and I bat left-handed. My wife came down out of the
stands while he was warming up and said, "this guy throws WAY harder than

Craig S. Richardson

ungelesen,
12.03.1998, 03:00:0012.03.98
an

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:37:09 -0800, Tom Austin
<tom_a...@optilink.dsccc.com> wrote:

>Chris Dial

>> Tom Austin wrote in message <3506E2...@optilink.dsccc.com>...
>> >TWS wrote:
>> >Average 30+ league pitcher in the league I'm in: about 77.
>>
>> Good lord! You must have one killer league. I am playing in my third
>> different league, and maybe three or four guys (out of 60) can get it like
>> that.
>

>yeah, that's it! one killer league! that's why I can't crack the
>Mendoza!

Seconded. In the 18+ league I played in before I demonstrated why
middle infielders don't have long careers, there was maybe one guy per
team who could hit 80 - sometimes. Maybe 5-8 in the league who could
stay in the high 70s for most of the game.

Of course, with one game a week, it was the 1880s all over again...

>seriously, the second-place team from our tougher division (National)
>won it all in their division in the Arizona tournament. There's some
>high-level players in our league. A lot of ex-college studs and the
>occasional ex-pro.
>

>> >My top speed: I'd be lucky to reach 67.
>>
>> This is closer to what I think is going on; 65-72.
>

>On second thought then, I'd be lucky to crack 60. To clarify, I think
>every team in our league has one "power" pitcher who throws mid-70's and
>up, and three or four finesse guys who throw 50-65. We have a guy,
>however, Tim "Tornado" Tucker, who has to throw 88. (78 IP, 82 K, 80
>BB). I am very, very glad Tim is on our team. He can walk the
>ballpark. He hit a guy in the helmet once. wow. But he would always
>rush to the plate saying "sorry, sorry" when he hit someone.

My best fastball never hit 65, but I had a (relative) lot of success
once through the lineup due to the "changeup" factor.

I don't think the average fan has any idea how *hard* it is to throw
80.

>> I faced Frank DiMichele ('87 Angels) and it was brutal. Not to mention he
>> pitches left-handed and I bat left-handed. My wife came down out of the
>> stands while he was warming up and said, "this guy throws WAY harder than
>> everyone else. Don't get hit, it'll kill you."

Bob Stoddard. 36+ and out of shape. 5 innings, 10 or 11 Ks, no balls
out of the infield. The only reason he didn't get me was that I
guessed curve on 1-2. Happiest groundout to first of my career.

I hated ex-pros.

--Craig

Craig Richardson I've heard all the stories
crichar...@worldnet.att.net The failures and glories
(formerly cri...@eskimo.com) I haven't had either
-- Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Chris Dial

ungelesen,
12.03.1998, 03:00:0012.03.98
an

Craig S. Richardson wrote in message
<6e7nm2$a...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

>On Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:37:09 -0800, Tom Austin
><tom_a...@optilink.dsccc.com> wrote:
>>Chris Dial
>>>
>>> Good lord! You must have one killer league. I am playing in my third
>>> different league, and maybe three or four guys (out of 60) can get it
like
>>> that.
>>
>>yeah, that's it! one killer league! that's why I can't crack the
>>Mendoza!
>
>Seconded. In the 18+ league I played in before I demonstrated why
>middle infielders don't have long careers, there was maybe one guy per
>team who could hit 80 - sometimes. Maybe 5-8 in the league who could
>stay in the high 70s for most of the game.

Yeesh. We scrimmaged a college and an 18+ team. Couldn't see the damn
thing (it was my first season after a 17-yr layoff). It cracked me up,
mostly because I don't take it as serious as some.

>Of course, with one game a week, it was the 1880s all over again...
>
>>seriously, the second-place team from our tougher division (National)
>>won it all in their division in the Arizona tournament. There's some
>>high-level players in our league. A lot of ex-college studs and the
>>occasional ex-pro.

>>> This is closer to what I think is going on; 65-72.
>>
>>On second thought then, I'd be lucky to crack 60. To clarify, I think
>>every team in our league has one "power" pitcher who throws mid-70's and
>>up, and three or four finesse guys who throw 50-65. We have a guy,
>>however, Tim "Tornado" Tucker, who has to throw 88. (78 IP, 82 K, 80
>>BB). I am very, very glad Tim is on our team. He can walk the
>>ballpark. He hit a guy in the helmet once. wow. But he would always
>>rush to the plate saying "sorry, sorry" when he hit someone.

That's frightening. I am entering a new league (I moved) so I hope he's not
in my league.

>My best fastball never hit 65, but I had a (relative) lot of success
>once through the lineup due to the "changeup" factor.

I had success once through the lineup because I can barely throw 50. But a
huge sweeping curve...

>I don't think the average fan has any idea how *hard* it is to throw
>80.

It's almost impossible. Imagine 90...

>>> I faced Frank DiMichele ('87 Angels) and it was brutal. Not to mention
he
>>> pitches left-handed and I bat left-handed. My wife came down out of the
>>> stands while he was warming up and said, "this guy throws WAY harder
than
>>> everyone else. Don't get hit, it'll kill you."
>
>Bob Stoddard. 36+ and out of shape. 5 innings, 10 or 11 Ks, no balls
>out of the infield. The only reason he didn't get me was that I
>guessed curve on 1-2. Happiest groundout to first of my career.

Tim Stoddard? Pitched for NC State? Played on the NCAA '75 champs (hoops).

>I hated ex-pros.

But I can hold my head high, and say, "yeh, well, he struck out Dave Parker,
too."

Chris Dial

Erik Simpson

ungelesen,
12.03.1998, 03:00:0012.03.98
an

Chris Dial" @intrex.net> (acdial<nospam) wrote:
: >
: >Average 30+ league pitcher in the league I'm in: about 77.

: Good lord! You must have one killer league. I am playing in my third
: different league, and maybe three or four guys (out of 60) can get it like
: that.

Yup. That's bringing it.

: >My top speed: I'd be lucky to reach 67.

: This is closer to what I think is going on; 65-72.

This sounds about right to me. I hit 74 once when I was 14 (according to
the gun on the game at Three Rivers), and that was considered pretty good
(among normal-type people, of course). My brother was a brilliant high
school pitcher throwing in the mid- to upper-70's (as clocked by a major
league scout who was checking out one of the other players at a game);
though his control and movement were his best assets, he was certainly not
slower than many of his peers.

: I faced Frank DiMichele ('87 Angels) and it was brutal. Not to mention he

: pitches left-handed and I bat left-handed. My wife came down out of the
: stands while he was warming up and said, "this guy throws WAY harder than

: everyone else. Don't get hit, it'll kill you." I got my four pitches and

: went and sat down (the ump *thought* I'd checked my swing on a curve). He
: said he throws 85...

I played against a 15-year-old who threw in the low 80's It wasn't fun.

Erik

Glenn A Tanner

ungelesen,
12.03.1998, 03:00:0012.03.98
an

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, TWS wrote:

> Can someone tell me what the average fast-ball pitch speed is for the
> average man ?

I threw a wiffleball 61mph to win a contest for CWS tickets last summer.
I think it was a real fluke, though, because my second-fastest throw was
54mph.

GT

(Yeah, I know it's kinda off-topic, but it's one of the highlights of my
sporting life, so I try to mention it even when it's remotely on-topic.)

Ziffel

ungelesen,
13.03.1998, 03:00:0013.03.98
an

>>I don't think the average fan has any idea how *hard* it is to throw
>>80.
>
>It's almost impossible. Imagine 90...

yeah, then imagine 100 (Wohlers, Randy Johnson, etc)

then imagine Nolan Ryan throwing 95 in the bottom of the 9th at age 45 ...
this is what really blows my mind!

j...@sgi.com

ungelesen,
13.03.1998, 03:00:0013.03.98
an

In article <6e6vot$k...@miso.wwa.com>,

chad...@sashimi.wwa.com (James Weisberg) wrote:

> In article <6e6tos$9mt$1...@walter-fddi.cray.com>,
> Jeff Drummond <j...@cray.com> wrote:
> >In article <6e6dcd$1a5$1...@usenet76.supernews.com>, sch...@spectra.net:
> >
> >Not unless you first tell us how you define "the average man."
>
> That's easy. Just take the average stats for all the
> men with average fastballs.

Recursive as ever, James!

-Jeff j...@sgi.com
--
No keyboard present
Hit F1 to continue

James Weisberg

ungelesen,
13.03.1998, 03:00:0013.03.98
an

In article <6ebqor$be1$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, <j...@sgi.com> wrote:
>In article <6e6vot$k...@miso.wwa.com>,
> chad...@sashimi.wwa.com (James Weisberg) wrote:
>> In article <6e6tos$9mt$1...@walter-fddi.cray.com>,
>> Jeff Drummond <j...@cray.com> wrote:
>> >In article <6e6dcd$1a5$1...@usenet76.supernews.com>, sch...@spectra.net:
>> >
>> >Not unless you first tell us how you define "the average man."
>>
>> That's easy. Just take the average stats for all the
>> men with average fastballs.
>
>Recursive as ever, James!

I knew a fellow computer geek would enjoy that one. ;-)

Hoelker,Ed

ungelesen,
13.03.1998, 03:00:0013.03.98
an

> chad...@sashimi.wwa.com (James Weisberg)
And next you will tell us it's Dr. Cobb, not Codd, who is the Father of
Relational Database Theory.

Ed Hoelker

Erik Simpson

ungelesen,
14.03.1998, 03:00:0014.03.98
an

: > >Recursive as ever, James!

: >
: > I knew a fellow computer geek would enjoy that one. ;-)
: >

Hey! We humanities folks have you guys by a few millenia on that one! You
guys get all the money and now you want recursiveness, too. Humph.

:)

Erik

0 neue Nachrichten