AL MVP analysis by Dave Hecht

James Kaufman

Sep 16, 2002, 5:05:00 PM9/16/02
to news-g...@stump.algebra.com

Hi,
This is a column from The Baseball Spot, a site I co-run, at
www.baseballspot.org -- thought it would be of interest here.

Until about ten days ago, I was reading a lot about Alfsono Soriano,
the MVP candidate.

In the last ten days, I have been reading a lot about Miguel Tejada,
the MVP candidate.

Both Soriano and Tejada are middle infielders hitting like
outfielders. Both are bright young stars. Both (particularly Tejada)
are leading
their teams through great seasons. But with all due respect to them
both, are the writers really going to get so hung up on picking the
best player from a first place team that they decide not to honor Alex
Rodriguez?

Now, I have no particular fondness for A-Rod (No strong feelings
either way, actually.) I have a mild dislike for his team. I have a
stronger dislike for what I know of his owner (which I grant you is
not much.) And I abhor his contract. But to deny him the MVP this year
is idiocy.

I repeat. I am not a fan of Alex Rodriguez. I am a fan of common
sense. Here is a list of each batter's OPS (on base percentage plus
slugging
percentage.)

Rodriguez: 1.036
Tejada: .868
Soriano: .895

That, friends, is a mismatch. I'm all for having a presumption in
favor of giving the MVP award to a player on contending team. It is,
after
all, the "Most Valuable Player" award, not the "Best Player," award.
And you can argue that "value," by definition, is about winning. But
should this presumption extend to rewarding *clearly inferior
players.*

A-Rod is ranked 2nd in the American league in OPS. Soriano, 10th.
Tejada, 18th -- behind TWO other shortstops; A-Rod, and Nomar
Garciaparra (14th.), who is said to be having an off year, which, in
fact, he is.

(In case you're curious, the best OPS belongs to Jim Thome, in about
150 fewer AB's than A-Rod.)

The point is not that that Soriano and Tejada aren't great players
with bright futures. They are. But Alex Rodriguez is, right now, a
MUCH
better player. So much better that we should not let the fact that he
plays for a bad team deny him the MVP recognition that he clearly
deserves.

(Paranthetical note from a paranoid Red Sox fan who is sick and tired
of the New York media effect presenting Derek Jeter as the equal of
the
other AL shortstops in the famed trio: his OPS is .796, 37th in the
league. And it's not a fluke:

Career OPS:

A-Rod .960
Nomar .939
Jeter .853
Tejada .787

Tejada may be on his way past Jeter. But right now, though the Yankee
star is third, he is clearly third -- significantly behind the
others.)