Feasibility of Bunting

Matt Guisinger

Mar 8, 2003, 6:16:25 PM3/8/03
to news-g...@stump.algebra.com

I am doing a science project for school on the feasibility of bunting
in the modern age. I have already found the way that Bill James and
Pete Palmer have accomplished this but was wondering if anyone knew
any other ways to accomplish this, speciifically as are mentioned in
Total Baseball. One of my ideas is to use the equation (total runs
off of sacrifice bunts/total bunts) as compared to (total runs/total
plate appearances), however I have had difficulty finding total runs
off of sacrifices. If anyone can help in any way I would greatly
appreciate it.
Matt Guisinger

Matt Guisinger

Mar 8, 2003, 6:19:40 PM3/8/03
to news-g...@stump.algebra.com

Matt Guisinger

Mar 8, 2003, 6:21:56 PM3/8/03
to news-g...@stump.algebra.com

Matt Guisinger

Mar 8, 2003, 6:23:35 PM3/8/03
to news-g...@stump.algebra.com

Matt Guisinger

Mar 8, 2003, 6:38:10 PM3/8/03
to news-g...@stump.algebra.com

Tom

Mar 11, 2003, 7:59:29 PM3/11/03
to news-g...@stump.algebra.com

Go to retrosheet.org , and you can download the play-by-play files
from 1974-1990. That should satisfy your quest.

Tom

Matt Guisinger

Mar 24, 2003, 8:40:09 AM3/24/03
to news-g...@stump.algebra.com

I've tried to download the programs from retrosheet, but they won't
run on my computer, if someone would like to do me a huge favor and
run the data to find the average run scored for each Markov chain
(like Palmer did). However, I need to have the raw data in order to
show my work.
thanks,
Matt