Parachuting through clouds will suffocate you?

Andrew (Andy) Sommer

Dec 14, 2000, 1:01:51 AM12/14/00
I watched this true adventure TV show called "Ushuaia: The Ultimate
Adventure" about four weeks ago. That week's episode was about
skydiving and they rattled off a list of amazing claims which I
paraphrase here:

-Skydivers don't breathe while they are freefalling because
they absorb all the oxygen they need through their skin.

-That's why skydivers rarely parachute through clouds because
the moisture would block absorption of oxygen and cause them
to suffocate.

I wish I could remember the other claims they made, but the two
above were the most ridiculous sounding. Can someone please tell
me if there is any truth to these?

Andy

dz

Dec 14, 2000, 1:43:53 AM12/14/00
Andrew (Andy) Sommer schrieb in Nachricht
<3A3861A9...@operamail.com>...
:I watched this true adventure TV show called "Ushuaia: The Ultimate

Hi Andy,
Of course that is true, thats why skydivers always turn blue in the face...
:-)

Regards Daniel

--
Spam protection: Email address has underlines and X-es added.

Chris

Dec 14, 2000, 1:54:10 AM12/14/00
Yes!! Absolutely true.

If you jump through clouds, you will surley DIE!!!

"Andrew (Andy) Sommer" <andys...@operamail.com> wrote in message

leeb...@my-deja.com

Dec 14, 2000, 1:50:39 AM12/14/00
In article <3A3861A9...@operamail.com>,

Yes, I'm afraid they are both true. Never, ever parachute through
clouds. You could die.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Paul Quade

Dec 14, 2000, 2:20:50 AM12/14/00
Andrew (Andy) Sommer wrote:
> I watched this true adventure TV show called "Ushuaia: The Ultimate
> Adventure" about four weeks ago.
<snip>

Geeze!

And -I- always thought the ultimate adventure was snipe hunting.

Paul

Insomnia

Dec 14, 2000, 2:54:00 AM12/14/00

Does absurd mean anything to you?

I'll admit right now that I don't have nearly as many jumps as other
people on this group, but....

* I tend to actually breath during a skydive. Surprising as that may
sound. How about you?

* Clouds? I find them "yucky", leaving a cloud I always feel a little
dirty, I suspect it's the humidity. I've never suffocated in a cloud
though. The biggest danger that clouds pose is that you have reduced
visibility while you're in them.

Again, absurd? Mean anything?

-
Jim

Jim Bozarth

Dec 14, 2000, 3:02:16 AM12/14/00
>Subject: Re: Parachuting through clouds will suffocate you?
>From: Paul Quade qu...@usa.net

>Andrew (Andy) Sommer wrote:
>> I watched this true adventure TV show called "Ushuaia: The Ultimate
>> Adventure" about four weeks ago.

Absolutely true. Ya cant breathe in the clouds.....and that even doesn't take
into account the Crawling Eye.
Ya gotta be really careful in those ol' clouds.
I know I am. :o)
jim.....made a jump or two.................thousand :o)

Ron Laval

Dec 14, 2000, 5:54:54 AM12/14/00
its all a crock of shit ,but i have been known to breath through my ears
whilst muff diving.
blue ones
Ron

Don Maxwell

Dec 14, 2000, 7:24:52 AM12/14/00
I don't know if all skydivers don't breath in freefall but on occasion I have
quit breathing on the plane ride up until I yurned blue in the face!!!!!
Don and Robin

"Once you have tasted flight you will forever walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to be."
Da Vinci

MikeTJumps

Dec 14, 2000, 8:36:40 AM12/14/00
Totally riduculous. It shows you the gullability of the media!

Blue Skies & Safe Dives from Mike Turoff,
Candidate for USPA's BOD (National Position)
Co-author (with Dan Poynter) of
Parachuting, The Skydivers Handbook
Instructor Examiner and Tandem Examiner, Jump Pilot

weaz...@my-deja.com

Dec 14, 2000, 9:10:52 AM12/14/00
Hey now, you Houstonians have developed gills in order to deal with all
that humidity on the ground down there, so I am sure they help with the
breathing in the clouds. Those of us less adapted to such conditions
don't think that it's so ridiculous.
WZL

In article <20001214083640...@ng-fc1.aol.com>,

--
"Adventure, excitement, a Jedi craves not these things."

PiTBuLLz

Dec 14, 2000, 10:54:22 AM12/14/00

"dz" <zu_XXppiXn_ger@infoX_Xbrain.com> wrote in message
No. No. No!!! The reason skydivers faces always turn blue is because of the
mass consumption of Nitrous Oxide at numerous boogies throuughout the year.
WaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWa!!!

JMG

Nervous Nick

Dec 14, 2000, 11:19:30 AM12/14/00
Of course this is true. 'Cept some of us have died many more times than
others. Why do you think some are referred to as "sky gods"?

--N

skygasm

Dec 14, 2000, 4:16:04 PM12/14/00
It was back in the Spring of `75, I believe. I was fairly new to skydiving
and didn't know how dangerous clouds are. I inadvertently went through one,
suffocated, passed out and bounced at about 125 MPH. I vowed never to do it
again.

D-9499

PS You may be as big a fish as the producers of Ushuaia. Try to shake that
hook out of your mouth.

Sinclair Dameron

Dec 14, 2000, 6:54:09 PM12/14/00
Weazel - we never learned that one cannot breath in clouds, because we
learned to hold our breath from point of exit until canopy deployment.
Habit is so engrained that we now cannot breath in freefall , clouds or not.
Man - tell us about Duke. We miss him! We saw the puppy Carl got and he is
fantastic. I guess you haven't been to the new Spaceland? Awesome! Gotta
go and get ready for weekend, as we expecting 70degrees and sunshine for the
CASA in Gonzales.
Blue Skies,
Sinclair

kizzie92

Dec 14, 2000, 8:12:17 PM12/14/00
Yes I remember that jump I did from 250,000 ft. Went through four
different layers of cloud and died each time. I considder myself lucky
to be alive. Next time I'm taking oxygen.

Tony.

--
I have no wish to attain immortality through my work.
I wish to attain immortality through not dying

Woody Al

ynot...@my-deja.com

Dec 15, 2000, 12:30:14 AM12/15/00

> -Skydivers don't breathe while they are freefalling because
> they absorb all the oxygen they need through their skin.
>
> -That's why skydivers rarely parachute through clouds because
> the moisture would block absorption of oxygen and cause them
> to suffocate.
>
> I wish I could remember the other claims they made, but the two
> above were the most ridiculous sounding. Can someone please tell
> me if there is any truth to these?

Yes, they're all true. =B^)

Not only that, but many skydivers have scarred faces from freefalling
through rain.

Many of them will lie about it and modestly claim that it's from teen
acne, but it's really from years and years of hitting the pointy end of
those raindrops.

- tony

The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any
use to oneself.

- -- Oscar Wilde

-

Message has been deleted

DB TECH

Dec 15, 2000, 2:29:59 AM12/15/00
I think you should write the network and tell them that it's morons
like your production staff that perpetrates these insane fallacies.

Dave Brownell

MarkandSonia

Dec 15, 2000, 3:48:19 AM12/15/00
I reckon some "normal" journalists got together and made a documentary or
movie
instead of bogging the crap as usual into the local paper!

HAW HAW!!

Mark
(Australia!)

Darin Ninness

Dec 15, 2000, 12:19:03 PM12/15/00
andys...@operamail.com wrote:
> I watched this true adventure TV show called "Ushuaia: The Ultimate
> Adventure" about four weeks ago. That week's episode was about
> skydiving and they rattled off a list of amazing claims which I
> paraphrase here:
>
> -Skydivers don't breathe while they are freefalling because
> they absorb all the oxygen they need through their skin.
>
> -That's why skydivers rarely parachute through clouds because
> the moisture would block absorption of oxygen and cause them
> to suffocate.
<snip>

Yes indeedy do, it is true. Just look here at the FAQ:
http://www.afn.org/skydive/faq/faq.html#whuffo which is obviously
where the folks from that show did their (exhaustive) research into
skydiving.

I jump thru clouds just to get that suffocating feeling, kinda like
some people get off on being suffocated during sex (can you say "Auto-
erotic asphyxiation?" or "Michael Hutchence?"). It really adds to the
rush. If you do it after jumping a DC-3 that's been straining to get
to 14,000 ft, you might actually see stars, or need the services of
your AAD.

:)

Darin
D-19617

freeflyer

Dec 15, 2000, 2:19:13 PM12/15/00
DB TECH wrote:
> I think you should write the network and tell them that it's morons
> like your production staff that perpetrates these insane fallacies.

And the people who actually believe it are not at fault, right?
Like Snuffy says, "Stupid is what stupid does."

Espen
ALF#1

Andrew Bassett-Smith

Dec 16, 2000, 5:29:16 AM12/16/00
yeah good on ya Ron - does Michelle know you posted this - just might have
to tell her!!!!

"Ron Laval" <road...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

Bob Church

Dec 26, 2000, 10:41:33 AM12/26/00
In article <91ch9k$aok$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
DB TECH <db...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>I think you should write the network and tell them that it's morons
>like your production staff that perpetrates these insane fallacies.
>
>Dave Brownell

So what should their production staff do? It seems like the responsible
thing would be to check the rec.skydiving faq, which says exactly what they
repeated.

Bob Church

Bob Church

Dec 26, 2000, 10:41:49 AM12/26/00
DB TECH <db...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>I think you should write the network and tell them that it's morons
>like your production staff that perpetrates these insane fallacies.
>
>Dave Brownell

Their production team is just quoting the otherwise excellent rec.skydiving
faq. How are they supposed to know that that part is a joke? Faqs are
supposed to be there to introduce newbies to the facts, not troll them.
If anyone's being irresponsible, it's leaving that in the faq, at least the
way it's worded.

Bob Church

From the faq;

This is also why jumpers do not jump on cloudy days or when they might risk
going through clouds. The moisture in the clouds can condense on their
exposed
skin surfaces preventing the absorption of the necessary oxygen resulting
in
suffocation. AADs are recommended for jumpers in climates where weather is
factor.

Mike Manuel

Dec 26, 2000, 8:14:03 PM12/26/00
Obviously you have opened the lid on a can of worms for many people.
Rec.Skydiving is not truly an authority on diddly shit. Nor is the opinion
or comments of most people that post here of great value since you have no
idea if the person has 500 or zero jumps, has a hard on for skydivers, is a
100 jump wonder with ALL the answers or just enjoys a few "jokes" as you
stated.
Any person that has serious questions about skydiving would be best to
direct them to the United States Parachute Association at 703-836-3495 or
find a drop zone in their area via the yellow pages and call and ask to
speak to the ST&A (Safety and Training).
Many of us that are on this net are drunk, injured, old, not very good,
hot dogs with no sense, on drugs, young kids that have learned the lingo
etc. Reality hurts--but when your life may be at stake don't take some no
name-no face person's word as being intelligent--often it is not.
The first reason to not fall through clouds is that it is illegal. The
second is it is illegal & dangerous. The third is (especially if a small
DZ) FAA rule 105.29 says a pilot may not allow skydivers to exit as to enter
a cloud--which means the pilot could lose his license or be fined.
SD Mike
PS FAQ's don't guarantee you learn more--it just means more people ask the
same question. That also means a wrong answer is given to more people. Get
to the source--the net-UNFORTUNATELY- is for those that have enough
background to either differentiate between BS and real assistance or those
that simply love to talk with their fingers on a keyboard--knowledge is not
a requirement.
Fly safe and enjoy.
SD Mike

> From: chu...@oak.cats.ohiou.edu (Bob Church)
> Newsgroups: rec.skydiving
> Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 10:41:49 -0500
> Subject: Re: Parachuting through clouds will suffocate you?

Bob Church

Dec 26, 2000, 11:47:53 PM12/26/00
In article <B66E9E7B.26E5%mma...@ll.net>,
Mike Manuel <mma...@ll.net> wrote:

> Obviously you have opened the lid on a can of worms for many people.
>Rec.Skydiving is not truly an authority on diddly shit. Nor is the opinion
>or comments of most people that post here of great value since you have no
>idea if the person has 500 or zero jumps, has a hard on for skydivers, is a
>100 jump wonder with ALL the answers or just enjoys a few "jokes" as you
>stated.

You should never accept anything as fact based on someone's post, but a faq
is a document that can be assumed to have been read by most people
participating in the forum.
Should everyone assume that the entire faq is horseshit? How does a
non-skydiver know? If they find out that that part of the faq is wrong then
why should they believe any of it, so why bother including the good
information.
There's no reason or excuse for deliberately putting false information in a
faq. If that's the way it is, then we have no business calling the people
who use the information morons.
Or maybe they're stupid for taking anything skydivers seriously. That's
going to help a lot the next time we tell an airport's authority that we
can have skydiving without interfering with other planes, or anything else.

Hundreds of skydivers have participated in rec.skydiving at one time or
another, and the entry about not breathing in freefall makes liars or
idiots out of all of us.

Bob Church

Jumper

Dec 27, 2000, 8:45:32 AM12/27/00
Oh yea...........don't ever base jump, that's illegal.
Don't ever skydive, that's dangerous.

Mike Manuel <mma...@ll.net> wrote in message

> The first reason to not fall through clouds is that it is illegal.
The
> second is it is illegal & dangerous. The third is (especially if a small
> DZ) FAA rule 105.29 says a pilot may not allow skydivers to exit as to
enter
> a cloud--which means the pilot could lose his license or be fined.
> SD Mike

ags...@my-deja.com

Dec 27, 2000, 10:31:21 AM12/27/00
In article <B66EDEA99...@132.235.108.134>,
chu...@oak.cats.ohiou.edu (Bob Church) wrote:

> Should everyone assume that the entire faq is horseshit?

No, but neither should everyone assume the FAQ is true. In fact, no one
should assume ANYTHING they read ANYWHERE on the internet is true.
It's a starting point, but anything used from the internet as "facts"
should be backed up through a trustworthy point of contact (such as USPA
in this case).
Blindly trusting anything you read on the internet, even an apparently
trustworthy source, is asking for trouble.

Darin Ninness

Dec 27, 2000, 11:17:21 AM12/27/00
chu...@oak.cats.ohiou.edu (Bob Church) wrote:
<snip>

> So what should their production staff do? It seems like the
responsible
> thing would be to check the rec.skydiving faq, which says exactly
what they
> repeated.

Repeating "facts" from the Internet is a slippery slope, and
any "responsible" news organization shouldn't be so stupid as to
believe everything that's posted on the 'Net. They employ fact
checkers who "second-source" things to make sure they don't look stupid
(well, OK, the whole FL election thing was a real eye-opener, huh?)
when they broadcast something like that. Hell, that's worked for the
print media for a long, long time. Why shouldn't the broadcast media be
held to a similar standard.

There's nothing wrong with a little tongue-in-cheek joke in the FAQ,
and woe be anybody who quotes it authoritatively without double-
checking.

If you look at the FAQ with any semblance of thought, you'd realize
that particular section is a joke.. See below

""How do you breathe in freefall?"
and other Whuffo Questions.

"How do you breath in freefall?"
Through genetically developed gills.

This falls into the realm of urban folklore. One CAN breathe in
freefall - if it were necessary. However, due to the high speed of
terminal freefall (and much higher speeds in vertical freefall dives),
the jumper's body is exposed to O2 molecules at a much higher rate than
someone walking around on the ground. The body is able to absorb the
necessary O2 through the skin. This is why jumpers flap their cheeks in
freefall, it presents a larger surface area to the airstream for oxygen
osmosis. Once under canopy, the jumper resumes breathing normally.

This is also why jumpers do not jump on cloudy days or when they might
risk going through clouds. The moisture in the clouds can condense on
their exposed skin surfaces preventing the absorption of the necessary
oxygen resulting in suffocation. AADs are recommended for jumpers in
climates where weather is a factor.

Other Whuffo Questions

"Don't your ears pop on the way down?"
"Yes, we're not ignoring you, we're deaf."
"What if you have to go the bathroom in the plane?"
"Go ahead!"
"Can you steer your parachute?"
"No, one time I landed in Jamacia."
"Does it hurt?"
"Yes, that's why we jump all the time! Masochism!"
"What if your parachute doesn't open?"
"Gee, I never thought of that..."
"Why do you jump?"
"Why do _you_ breathe?"
"Where do you jump?"
"O'Hare, Midway, LAX, Dulles, where ever I happen to be." (:-) "

I mean, come on. Get a grip.

Darin
D-19617

ftr...@my-deja.com

Dec 27, 2000, 11:44:13 AM12/27/00
In article <O26_5.7999$55.22...@news1.rdc1.ne.home.com>,
"PiTBuLLz" <entheogeni...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi Andy,
> > Of course that is true, thats why skydivers always turn blue in the
> face...
> > :-)
> >
> > Regards Daniel
> >
> No. No. No!!! The reason skydivers faces always turn blue is because
> of the mass consumption of Nitrous Oxide at numerous boogies
> throuughout the year. WaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWaWa!!!

ASSHOLE!
Now I have to clean Pepsi off of my screen and keyboard! :)

Last time I did Nitrous, my friend blew out his knee. No shit, I'm
standing there with the world going WaWaWaWaWa and I look over to see
him collapse. It was very surreal. Turns out that he tore up his
meniscus by tripping (in a hole, smartass). It was funny cause it
happened to him and not me.

-Andy

As soon as you're born you begin to die,
So you might as well have a good time.

Kevin Bruff

Dec 27, 2000, 1:35:29 PM12/27/00
>Blindly trusting anything you read on the internet, even an apparently
>trustworthy source, is asking for trouble.

so you mean i shouldnt flare with my front risers then? hmmm, and i thought
i was getting sound advise

"the freak with neon yellow hair"
kevin (shaggy) bruff
HellFish # 13

kallend

Dec 27, 2000, 3:53:13 PM12/27/00

Everyone I know that skydived through a cloud suffocated, including me.

kallend

Dec 27, 2000, 3:54:51 PM12/27/00
In article <20001227133529...@ng-ch1.news.cs.com>,

Did you know that "gullible" has only one "l" in it? Check the
dictionary.

--
jsk
145265

Dan Is

Dec 27, 2000, 5:09:43 PM12/27/00

I think this is a scream every time it comes up here. I know I don't
jump through clouds for just this reason.
izzy
--

Peace & Love
Dan

Skydvnfool

Dec 27, 2000, 6:22:36 PM12/27/00
>so you mean i shouldnt flare with my front risers then? hmmm, and i
>thought
>i was getting sound advise

Well, just ask brandon how it fells to FORGET to take your hands out of your
risers when you go to flare.....HE HE.......He did this in dallas. In case any
of you were there when he did it, laugh at him for me.

blues
Josh M.

freeflyer

Dec 28, 2000, 9:33:54 AM12/28/00
kallend wrote:

> Did you know that "gullible" has only one "l" in it? Check the
> dictionary.

See TY, he's always had a sense of humor :o)

Espen
ALF#1

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~zeppelin/

TY

Dec 28, 2000, 11:41:53 AM12/28/00

freeflyer wrote:

> kallend wrote:
> >
> > Did you know that "gullible" has only one "l" in it? Check the
> > dictionary.
>
> See TY, he's always had a sense of humor :o)

Well, he was good at hiding it. I'm glad to see he finally came out of
the closet. :o)

freeflyer

Dec 28, 2000, 2:02:53 PM12/28/00

He never hid it, he was just too busy trying to get an ALF
number :o)

Espen
ALF#1

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~zeppelin/

TY

Dec 28, 2000, 2:14:18 PM12/28/00

freeflyer wrote:

> > > See TY, he's always had a sense of humor :o)
> >
> > Well, he was good at hiding it. I'm glad to see he finally came out of
> > the closet. :o)
>
> He never hid it, he was just too busy trying to get an ALF
> number :o)

Why are you all so interested in getting numbers anyway??? The only numbers
I'm interested in getting are my license numbers. Is this what happens after
you get your "D"?

TY

freeflyer

Dec 28, 2000, 2:39:22 PM12/28/00
TY wrote:

> > He never hid it, he was just too busy trying to get an ALF
> > number :o)
>
> Why are you all so interested in getting numbers anyway??? The only numbers
> I'm interested in getting are my license numbers. Is this what happens after
> you get your "D"?

Actually, it's because I no longer get numbers with my
skydiving licenses. The Norwegian Parachute Federation quit
putting numbers on the licenses a couple of years ago, so I
only got one for my B-license <sniff>.

Oh, and I only have a 'C' btw, so it hasn't nothing to do
with getting the 'D' :o)

Espen
ALF#1

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~zeppelin/

JimBo

Dec 28, 2000, 3:22:15 PM12/28/00

>TY wrote:

> Why are you all so interested in getting numbers anyway??? The only numbers
>> I'm interested in getting are my license numbers. Is this what happens
>after
>> you get your "D"?

And you made fum of me for missing sarcasm, Donna.
Shoe fits pretty good dont it ?

:o)
jim , D-10154
TMI/01

TY

Dec 28, 2000, 6:44:38 PM12/28/00

JimBo wrote:

I think you are still wearing it, Jim, so I wouldn't know! :o)

kallend

Dec 29, 2000, 12:28:49 PM12/29/00
In article <3A4B8E5D...@start.no>,

freeflyer <free...@start.no> wrote:

> > > See TY, he's always had a sense of humor :o)
> >
> > Well, he was good at hiding it. I'm glad to see he finally came
out of
> > the closet. :o)
>
> He never hid it, he was just too busy trying to get an ALF
> number :o)

Didn't have to try :-)

> Espen
> ALF#1
>
> http://www.public.iastate.edu/~zeppelin/

Jeff

Dec 27, 2000, 10:00:18 PM12/27/00
There's a guy at skydive Ill. that wouldn't jump if it weren't for clouds.
Hi doogie...
Jaffo
Darin Ninness <dnin...@numega.com> wrote in message

freeflyer

Dec 29, 2000, 9:09:24 PM12/29/00
kallend wrote:

> > > Well, he was good at hiding it. I'm glad to see he finally came
> out of
> > > the closet. :o)
> >
> > He never hid it, he was just too busy trying to get an ALF
> > number :o)
> >

> Didn't have to try :-)

Is this what you'd call a redundant reply? :o)

Espen
ALF#1

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~zeppelin/

kallend

Dec 31, 2000, 3:49:54 PM12/31/00
In article <3A4D43D4...@start.no>,

freeflyer <free...@start.no> wrote:

> > out of
> > >
> > > He never hid it, he was just too busy trying to get an ALF
> > > number :o)
> > >

> > Didn't have to try :-)
>
> Is this what you'd call a redundant reply? :o)
>
> Espen
> ALF#1

Just clarification for the record. There are 6 "naturals" and one
who showed it could be done without natural talent by hard work alone.
--
jsk
NALF#3

freeflyer

Jan 1, 2001, 5:53:18 PM1/1/01
kallend wrote:

> Just clarification for the record. There are 6 "naturals" and one
> who showed it could be done without natural talent by hard work alone.
> --
> jsk
> NALF#3

There seems to be an influx of naturals at the moment, so
don't put too much trust in those numbers :o)