Info wanted on 100 Plus Ways

Paula Philbrook

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
Can anyone tell me the exit altitudes for these 100 plus ways and how
long they were held. Or any other completed 100-way plus ways that are
not listed?

1986: 100 way World Record: Muskogee Nationals
1986: 120 way World Record: Quincy
1987: 126 way World Record: Belgium
1988: 144 way World Record: Quincy
1992: 150 way World Record: Belgium
1992: 100 way Women's World Record: France
1992: 200 way World Record: South Carolina
1994: 216 way World Record Attempt: Slovakia
1994: 232 way World Record Attempt: Lake Wales
1995: 103 way Women's World Record Attempt: DeLand
1997: 201 way World Record Attempt: Lake Wales
1996: 2 point 100 way Sequential - 2d ever 2 point 100-way: Perris
Valley
1996: 2 point 114 way Largest Sequential: Perris Valley
1997: 100 way NJ State Record: Cross Keys: 15,000
? 100-way Texas States Record
1998: 2 point 118 way Largest Sequential: Skydive City
1998 100 way Jewel Arizona Record: Skydive Arizona
1998 246 way World Record: Skydive Chicago 19,900-7.3 secs
1998 259 way Illinois State Record: Skydive Chicago 19,500-2.2 secs

When/where was the first 2 point 100-way? Did I miss any others?

Blue Skies,

Paula

chris....@t-online.de

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
Hello !
The first 2 point 100-way was in De Land/Fl organized by Tom Piras 19??.
Blue Skies
Chris

http://home.t-online.de/home/chris.sester

Peedu

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
Swedish Record 107way 8th august 98, exit 5500m (18300 ft), held for
8,69 sec.
Nordic Record 100way summer 97 in Oulu (Finland)

Peedu

Tony

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99
The 100-way Texas State record was actually a 104-way organized by Jack
Berke. I think we were exiting at 13,500ft., and I can't remember how long
we held it - but it was on the order of 5 to 7 seconds, I think. Sorry for
the lack of certainty on the details - but hey, close enough! If it's real
important - I can go watch the video and do some cypherin'.

--
Tony Darst
Remove _nospam from my address to reply; otherwise, it will bounce back to

Unsolicited material will be proof-read for $100 per word, payable within 10
days. Submission of your advertisement to my address constitutes your
formal acceptance of these terms.
Paula Philbrook wrote in message <36AE41...@skyjump.com>...

>Can anyone tell me the exit altitudes for these 100 plus ways and how
>long they were held. Or any other completed 100-way plus ways that are
>not listed?

[snip]

Beezy Shaw

Jan 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/27/99

Paula Philbrook wrote in message <36AE41...@skyjump.com>...

>? 100-way Texas States Record

The Texas Record of 104 was built in October, 1996. Trying for 100+
sequential after the record was set, we built a 98-way weedwacker that was
to have transitioned to a star inside a star, but didn't quite get the
second point (am I remembering that correctly?) See 'ya, Paula.

Flemming Nøddegaard

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
Paula Philbrook wanted info on holding times (and exit altitude) for 100+
ways.

1992: 150 way Official World Record: Kockside Belgium held 5.47 seconds.

1994: 216 way World Record Attempt: Bratislava Slovakia held approximately
9 seconds (not judges' timing). This was complete but with a person having
incorrect gribs.
1994: 215 way World Record Attempt: Bratislava Slovakia held slightly
less than 2 seconds when a grip was lost - the grib was reformed and the
complete formation held another 2.8 seconds untill we blured away in a thin
could layer.

And then an un-completed formation:
1996: 297 way World Record Attempt: Anapa, Rusia held at least 9 seconds
(waiting for the 5 last ones to dock for a 302-way - never happened).

With regard to exit altitudes, I will check my logbook and come back.

C U in the Blue
Flemming Nøddegaard
D-48 Denmark

Paula Philbrook <pa...@skyjump.com> skrev i artiklen

<36AE41...@skyjump.com>...
> Can anyone tell me the exit altitudes for these 100 plus ways and how
> long they were held. Or any other completed 100-way plus ways that are
> not listed?
>

> 1986: 100 way World Record: Muskogee Nationals
> 1986: 120 way World Record: Quincy
> 1987: 126 way World Record: Belgium
> 1988: 144 way World Record: Quincy
> 1992: 150 way World Record: Belgium
> 1992: 100 way Women's World Record: France
> 1992: 200 way World Record: South Carolina
> 1994: 216 way World Record Attempt: Slovakia
> 1994: 232 way World Record Attempt: Lake Wales
> 1995: 103 way Women's World Record Attempt: DeLand
> 1997: 201 way World Record Attempt: Lake Wales
> 1996: 2 point 100 way Sequential - 2d ever 2 point 100-way: Perris
> Valley
> 1996: 2 point 114 way Largest Sequential: Perris Valley
> 1997: 100 way NJ State Record: Cross Keys: 15,000

> ? 100-way Texas States Record

> 1998: 2 point 118 way Largest Sequential: Skydive City
> 1998 100 way Jewel Arizona Record: Skydive Arizona
> 1998 246 way World Record: Skydive Chicago 19,900-7.3 secs
> 1998 259 way Illinois State Record: Skydive Chicago 19,500-2.2 secs
>
> When/where was the first 2 point 100-way? Did I miss any others?
>

> Blue Skies,
>
> Paula

Flemming Nøddegaard

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
Here is some additional information on exit altitude and holding times for
a few of the 100+ ways that Paula Philbrook asked for.

1992: 150 way Official World Record: Koksidje Belgium exit 19,500 feet
(approximately 5850 meters) held 5.47 seconds.

1994: 216 way World Record Attempt: Bratislava Slovakia exit 21,000 feet
(approximately 6300 meters) held approximately 9 seconds (not judges'
timing). This was complete but with a person having incorrect grips.
1994: 215 way World Record Attempt: Bratislava Slovakia exit 22.000 feet
(approximately 6500 meters) held approximately 1.2 seconds when a grip was
lost - the grip was reformed and the complete formation held another 2.8
seconds until we blurred away in a thin cloud layer.

And then an in-complete formation:
1996: 297 way World Record Attempt: Anapa, Rusia exit 21,000 feet
(approximately 6300 meters) held at least 9 seconds (waiting for the 5 last

ones to dock for a 302-way - never happened).

And to the info that Peedu added to this tread (Nordic Record 100way summer
97 in Oulu, Finland) I can add: exit 14,700 feet (approximately 4400
meters) held 5 seconds.
In the jump prior to this Nordic record we did the same jump from same
altitude but holding time was only 1 second.

Peedu

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
Flemming Nøddegaard wrote:

> And to the info that Peedu added to this tread (Nordic Record 100way summer
> 97 in Oulu, Finland) I can add: exit 14,700 feet (approximately 4400
> meters) held 5 seconds.
> In the jump prior to this Nordic record we did the same jump from same
> altitude but holding time was only 1 second.

Hey!

I remember (but not sure) there was another 140 way (Nordic?) record
attempt and it was missing 1 grip? Maybe you have some information on
that one also?

Or maybe I'm just mixing it with the same 100 way...

Peedu

Flemming Nøddegaard

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
That's right there was another Nordic Big way (~140) which was not 100%
complete. It happened in Sweden in 1995, but I do not want to give any more
details, since I did not participate, and don't want to risk spreading
incorrect info here. I know that several participants are reading this news
group. I ask them please give this info. (Original request from Paula
Philbrook was exit altitude and holding time for 100+ ways)

C U in the Blue
Flemming Nøddegaard
D-48 Denmark

Peedu <pe...@skydive.ee> skrev i artiklen <36B1B6...@skydive.ee>...

Peedu

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
Flemming Nøddegaard wrote:

> That's right there was another Nordic Big way (~140) which was not 100%
> complete. It happened in Sweden in 1995, but I do not want to give any more
> details, since I did not participate, and don't want to risk spreading
> incorrect info here. I know that several participants are reading this news
> group. I ask them please give this info. (Original request from Paula
> Philbrook was exit altitude and holding time for 100+ ways)

Well if Anapa not completed 297 way was included so should this Nordic
incompleted ~140 be included.

Peedu

ra...@skydiver.eng.sun.com

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99

(Sorry if this is a repost....having trouble with my news reader)

Paula:

Here is some background on the triple digit jumps:

The first attempt to ever link 100 skydivers was in early
April 1985. This attempt failed. Many other attempts were made
over the next year until it was finally accomplished on July 5, 1986.
This was in Muskogee Oklahoma during the annual national skydiving
competition. It was assumed that this record would not be broken for
a long time.

5 weeks later, on August 11th in Quincy Illinois, 120 skydivers
attending the "Freak Brothers" convention left a South African C-130 at
18,500 feet and broke the record. The organizer of this event stated
"I don't think this record will be broken soon."

Then, out of nowhere, on July 11, 1987 a group of European
skydivers successfully built a 126 way formation. This was especially
unique in that the European skydiving community is so fragmented due to
the large number of countries in a small area (as compared to the US).
This was a real organizational triumph.

The one common feature of all these three formations is that they
were all "round" with a large hole in the center. The theory here is that
the central rows could create a lot of tension in order to make the structure
stable, and the hole would keep it falling fast so the outside rows
would not fall below it. This theory was destroyed on August 8th, 1988 in
Quincy Ill. when 144 skydivers left 6 airplanes and built a 12 X 12 diamond.
It was a very impressive formation. This was the 4th formation to contain
100 or more skydivers.

The next 100 way was built in DeLand Florida on February 18 1990. This was
built by a group called "Blots are Us" and was only the second 100 way ever
built and the 5th to contain 100 or more. The construction theory here went
back to the old circular design with the hole in the middle. Another feature
about all 5 skydives up to this point is that all skydivers were docking on
someones legs and someone was docking on their legs. This approach slows
things down a lot because everyone must wait until the person in front of
them is in place before they can close their slot.

At this point, the theory of how to build 100+ ways evolves. This is where
we started building doiley like things with long hoops that are primarilly
arm grips and minimal leg grips as opposed to previous attempts. This was
avoided up to this point in the belief that the structure would be too weak
even though it allows the outside loop to start building before inside loops
are complete. The theory here also embraces the notion that with all that
open space the formation will fall generally faster.

The next 100+ way attempts were held in Perris California and the formation
was 110 in size. The skydives were held on December 7-9 1990 and
utilized 1 DC-3 flying in the center and 4 Twin Otters flying in a "V" shape
behind. 7 attempts were made but it only built to 109....and that was on
the last jump after some very interesting hair pulling and teeth gnashing.

The next scheduled world record attempts were the Friendship '91 skydives at
the Washington International Air Fair in Bellvue Washington in August 14-19,
1991. This was an attempt to set a 150 way world record with the best
skydivers from around the world. What happened here was that the aircraft
secured for the attempts were 2 Wyoming National Guard C-130's. On the
morning of our first attempt, someone called and said "Civilians will NOT
jump out of military aircraft." We spent the next 4 days hanging around
trying to get them to change their minds....It didn't happen.

The next 100+ way attempts I believe were held during Halloween weekend
1991 at Yolo county airport in northern California. The plan was to be the
first group to build a two point 100 way. Nothing of this caliber was
attempted before we tried it this weekend. The aircraft used were a 50
passenger Caribou in lead, DC-3 at left trail, and two Beech 99's (King Air
and Queen Air) in right trail. The Beech's carried about 12 people each and
the DC-3 carried about 35.

The plan was to make 4 skydives each day for 3 days. Bad weather
grounded us on Friday, but we made a total of 8 skydives on the following 2
days. We never got the second formation but we did successfully get 2
completed 100 way formations (one each day). These were the 3rd and 4th
100 way formations ever built, and the 6th and 7th 100+ formations ever built.
They were the only formations ever built using the new open "loop" concept
on a structure that size. The loops were closed. The weedeater inovation
came later. Another theory that was worked out on these skydives was that
the "key from the center" notion had to be rethought. It was here that we
determined that it wouldn't work and that the "leave someone out and high
to check for completeness then dock" notion had to be developed for blot
sequential.

That kinda fills in some of the early history gaps in your list. Relative
to the Slovakia dives in the capital town of Bratislava, the planes were
an AN12 in the lead with two AN26's trail. The 216 way you refer to
was held for a long time (10 sec?) but there was one person in the wrong slot.
The very next dive was a completed 215 way but was only held for a couple
of seconds. This dive utilized open weedeaters. Exit altitudes were from
about 22,000 feet

You also left out the first 300 way attempts in Anapa Russia. These used
4 MI26 helicopters from well above 20,000 feet. The largest formation
built was 297 with 5 people out. These dives were held 15-29 September 1996.

In preparation for Russia, Perris held a 104 way base practice in June 21-23
1996. At that event, we built 2 100 ways with one happening in just 46
seconds. However, we never completed a 2 point skydive....though it was
attempted.

The only multipoint blots that were built in California were October 23-26
1997 in Perris. This was also the occasion when we built the 3 largest stars
on record (90, 103, 104), and did the three largest sequentials at the time
(100, 113, 114). The dive design was to build a starfish like thing from
which the second point was to have all the legs of the starfish drop off of a
sacraficial 10 way in the center leaving a huge star surrounding a much
smaller star. I guess you could even call it the worlds largest room dive
:) In any event, the aircraft were a lead Casa, 1 Skyvan right trail, 2 twin
otters right trail and two twin otters left trail. Exit altitude was 16,500
AGL and 18,000 MSL. 20 jumps were made in total (3,6,6,5). The last two
dives were attempts at a 3 point 110 way.....didn't get it.

That's about all I have for now....fingers getting tired...

Rand Lindsly

In article <36AE41...@skyjump.com>,

Cris G

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
Rand -

Amazing. Thanks for being the historian that you are.

blue skies
Cris

You have the right to remain silent....Anything you say will be misquoted,
then used against you.

Rand Lindsly

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
Paula:

of our first attempt, the someone called and said "Civilians will NOT jump

out of military aircraft." We spent the next 4 days hanging around trying
to get them to change their minds....It didn't happen.

The next 100+ way attempts I believe were held during Halloween weekend
1991 at Yolo county airport in northern California. The plan was to be the

first group to build 2-point 100 way formation. Nothing of this caliber has ever been

[...]

an AN12 in the lead and two AN24s trail. The actual 216 way you refer to

[...]

ja...@luovacombo.fi

Dec 15, 2018, 4:03:37 PM12/15/18
Yes, Nordic Record 100-way 1997, exit altitude 4000 m (approx. 13000 ft).