Here is to Cardinal Puff

WillReg

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
An old friend, Fred from Corning D-6669, said that you were tryng to get to the
bottom of the Cardinal Puff legend. I sorta made it a point to listen to
various people back in the early 60s to learn the legend of this fabulous
drinking game, so here goes.
It started in sports jumping by two guys who drank at the Rumbleseat Bar in
Southern California, not too far from Elsinore. One's name was Frank Carpenter
who had the distinction of being Pope Frank the first, the other was named Don
Molitar who became Pope #2. The original game consisted of three ranks:
Cardinal which involved playing the game of observation and memory using one 12
ounce glass of beer topped off to the brim; Supreme Cardinal which involved two
glasses; and Pope which involved a 64 ounce pitcher. The game had very precise
wording that had to be repeated exactly to the word without flaw, hand motions
that involved a lot of tapping on various body parts. (Getting interesting
isn't it)
A neophyte had to have a demonstration from a Cardinal or other person of equal
or higher rank than the demonstration. The neophyte had to ask for permission
to begin or ask for a go depending on the geographical area the dropzone was
located in. Any Cardinal in attendance could call the neophyte to drink which
involved keeping the glass to his lips until it was completely empty. This
often became an overwhelming task after the 31st demo when you had to go out
back and yell at the ground. (big chunks had to be consumed along with the
remaining beer)
The origin of the game according to legend started during the late 1920s while
prohibition was raging across the land. Students at the University of Notre
Dame, a Catholic school in Indiana, had been banned from going into town and
drinking at the speakeasies so they sat in their college dorms getting soused
without much fun. Suddenly someone was inspired to create the game that was
initially a parody on the Catholic Church. Those staunch young Catholic men
subsequently went to answer their nation's call at the beginning of World War
II. Finding themselves in the Army Airborne with a similar situation to the one
they had experienced in college, they expanded their drinking sport to include
paratroopers. At that stage, Protestants and other heathens apparently were
allowed to join the elite drinking and jumping society.
In the late 50s, 1958 or 1959, Carpenter and Molitar were pioneers of Southern
California jumping and introduced Cardinal Puff to the sports jumping scene. At
the 1960-62 Nationals the drinking game spread across the country. It spawned
other games such as Dead Ants, Pygmy Mau Mau, 131st Banditos, and many more.
The game was officially expanded to include the Bishop demonstration in
Northern California by members of the Golden Gate Parachute Club. At some point
they went down to Elsinore and did the Bishop demo for the Rumbleseat crowd who
were slightly drunk when receiving the intricate instruction on how to be a
bishop so the original Bishop was actually born in San Jose and transplanted to
Elsinore. To this day, depending if you are drinking in Northern California or
Southern California, there is a discrepancy in the Bishop demonstration.
A good source of more information who was actually at the 62 Nationals would be
Loy Bryden D-12 or his ex-wife Tee Taylor who was that year's women's world
champion. They both live in Tucson.
I have the distinction of having been initiated into Cardinal Puff by a real
skygod, Ludlow Clemons, Pope #10, back in 1963. As far as I know I have the
last numbered Bishop card #49 presented to me by Don Molitar that same year. I
hope this has been some help to you and anyone else interested in the history
of a grand and noble endeavor.
Here is to Cardinal Puff for the third and final time...
Bob Scott D-714
Bishop 49
Chandler, Arizona

P.S. I'm still jumping and drinking 36 years later.

avoidsleep

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
Hi Bob,

I'm new to the sport and have been lurking about in this NG for a few
months... I find that it's better to keep my mouth shut and ears open for a
while when learning anything. <g> Anyway, I have an old friend I lost touch
with named Ed LePard who was a Navy SeAL... Ed had a withered old Cardinal
Puff Card that proclaimed him a supreme left handed (etc.,etc.) Cardinal.
Are their many different types/ranks of cardinal? Is the game still played?
Ed was a good friend, but he was always real evasive about that game and I
would be interested in finding out more... or better yet, finding the
whereabouts of Ed LePard if there is any ex Military on this NG who know
him.

Best Regards,

Mark Reinman

Lisa Briggs

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
Mark, they are all real evasive about that game. I've been waiting for
a demostration for almost 9 years...
:-) Lisa
D14633

Check out my website! Photos coming soon!
http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Curb/5158/

RonD1120

Dec 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/7/98

And yet another neat story. It brought back fuzzy memories from the Wolverine
Bar in Z-hills, c.1965-70. Wow! What a ride this has been.
Ron
Pope Ron the Raunchy
=
=
Ron Schott, M.A.
Dual Diagnosis/Chemical Dependency Therapist
CHRISTIAN SKYDIVERS ASSOCIATION
D1120, POPS1868, ACAL1869, CSA1, FOB316
813-737-1235
RonD...@aol.com

avoidsleep

Dec 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/7/98
Hi Lisa,

I'll make a deal with you.... If I find out/get to play 1st, I'll make
sure you get a full account! <g>

Mark

skys...@my-dejanews.com

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98
In article <19981207174155...@ngol05.aol.com>,

Just a cardinal here, oh holy Pope. Got it in 1985 at Maytown from Pope Dave
DeWolf. Yeah a great story and sure do miss not seeing many Cardinal Puff
demos anymore. Let's say we bring em back!

--
Bill S.
D13096; AFF/SLI-98

RonD1120

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98

In article <74jgp6$utu$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, skys...@my-dejanews.com writes:

>Just a cardinal here, oh holy Pope. Got it in 1985 at Maytown from Pope Dave
>DeWolf. Yeah a great story and sure do miss not seeing many Cardinal Puff
>demos anymore. Let's say we bring em back!
>
>--
>Bill S.
>D13096; AFF/SLI-98
>We are never lost, we are always directly above the center of the Earth.

Be my guest. As for me, I can't handle it.
Ron

skys...@my-dejanews.com

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
In article <19981208141804...@ngol01.aol.com>,

rond...@aol.com (RonD1120) wrote:
> Be my guest. As for me, I can't handle it.
> Ron

<snip>
Yeah it sucks getting older but surely you could handle a demo or 2. Anyway
thanks for bringing back some good memories.

--
Bill S.
D13096; AFF/SLI-98
We are never lost, we are always directly above the center of the Earth.

Skydiver58

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
Yeah, great memories.
Was made a Cardinal and a Turtle in 1964 by a guy called Li'l Jimmy Sherbert in
Oakland,CA. He said he was a skydiver. At the time I was'nt. Often wonder if
he's still around.
George Wright FB#58

Mike Ashley

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
Ah, Cardinal Puff! We ain't seen ye in a long time! I'd love to see the
game make a comeback, but finding another Cardinal in attendance anymore
is really hard. It'd be really neat to see the young kids today make the
attempt. Got mine back in 1975 from Lloyd Kallio & Brian Smith, bless
them both. Got me really messed up many times before I finally
succeeded, and I NEVER wore the beer.

Any Cardinals out there in Ohio?

Mike
D-18460
A-666 (Canadian)

Lisa Briggs

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
!!"Blood on the Risers"!!! Do you have the words? I lost my only copy a
couple of years ago andI know a bunch of people who've never heard it!!!
Post the words!! Please!!! :-)

Skybirdie

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
Recently played a game with a skydiver bud named Jim (jumping for 20 years).
It's kinda like Cardinal Puff, but called "Strom Bom Shalom" and done with beer
bottles/cans. Had a blast!!!!!! Anyone else ever hear of this?

Stephen

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98

Skybirdie wrote in message <19981215151506...@ng-ft1.aol.com>...

Did you do singles or doubles? (more fun with 4 or more players)

Zigga, Zagga, Zugga!
Steve F

Skybirdie

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
We actually played with 12 people. Did it left, then right, then in the
dark!!!! It was way too much fun...Definitely something to do with alot of
people after the beer light comes on!!!

canalzo...@gmail.com

May 22, 2015, 4:21:13 PM5/22/15
I was in Hermosa Beach CA in 1967 which is where the Rumbleseat Tavern was located on Pacific Coast Hwy. That is where I learned Cardinal Puff from Frank Carpenter aka Pope Frank the First. There were many Cardinal Puff games but to go up the ladder you had to be a skydiver, however, several games were out there for all to try to conquer. They were among a few others I cannot remember:

Cardinal Puff
Supreme Cardinal
Double Cardinal
Batman Cardinal
Kamikaze Cardinal (said in Japanese)

One of the games reserved for Jumpers was Sewer Pipe Cardinal which was out of
an actual sewer pipe which weighed around 10 lbs. I was told the sewer pipe was never washed sinc coming out of the ground. Just sawed and the bottom was leaded-in.

brentg...@yahoo.com

Feb 3, 2016, 9:20:25 AM2/3/16
was fun to read all this. I worked at The Rumbleseat for 2 years as bar tender, manager, and about everything else. My bosses were Frank Carpenter and Willie Armstrong. Gave mucho demos on good ol Cardinal Puff. The games we had then were. The Dumbshit Club, Cardinal Puff, Supreme Cardinal, WC Fields Cardinal Supreme, Kamikaze Carinal, Spodie-Odie Cardinal, Amos and Andy Cardinal,Bishop, and Pope. The sewer pipe then was called Iron Clad Cardinal. Got most of my cards signed by Frank Carpenter. Lots of surfing everyday, jumping on the weekends, and going to stuntman school during the day. Ralph Mitterick took movies of us jumping, at Elsinore, with a movie camera taped to his helmet, lol. He'd show them at the bar on Wed. nites, I think, and we'd have all-you-can-eat spaghetti for $1.00. I remember the first beach jump at Hermosa in 69. While 2nd plane was over beach a humongous fog bank moved in. The guys had jumped already. They were landing downtown, on buildings, and about everywhere except the beach. LOL. Good times.

jmoor...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2016, 9:32:52 PM12/18/16
Great read. I remember a few fuzzy nights at the Rumbleseat watching jump movies taken at Arvin. I think that's where I made Cardinal, but it might have been at The Pioneer Club at Arvin. My Cardinal cert was signed off by Jim Foster and Charlie Hamilton. Thanks for posting.

John Moore
Oxnard, Ca.

4sra...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2017, 3:01:31 AM8/26/17
I witnessed many a game of Cardinal Puff at Lake Elsinore in the early 1960's. I was only sixteen when I made my first jump in 1961. I jumped at Elsinore for the next four years and hung out with my fellow jumpers at the Rumbleseat. I was to young to drink so I never attempted Cardinal Puff, although I still remember how to play it, sans the beer. I saw many a jumper outside the bar throwing up after successful and unsuccessful attempts to be a Cardinal. I don't know how anyone could drink a pitcher of beer that fast but they did. It was amazing to watch.
Susan Spence Raisin B-1185
4sra...@gmail.com

canalzo...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2018, 4:59:48 PM7/17/18
On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 9:20:25 AM UTC-5, brentg...@yahoo.com wrote:
> was fun to read all this. I worked at The Rumbleseat for 2 years as bar tender, manager, and about everything else. My bosses were Frank Carpenter and Willie Armstrong. Gave mucho demos on good ol Cardinal Puff. The games we had then were. The Dumbshit Club, Cardinal Puff, Supreme Cardinal, WC Fields Cardinal Supreme, Kamikaze Carinal, Spodie-Odie Cardinal, Amos and Andy Cardinal,Bishop, and Pope. The sewer pipe then was called Iron Clad Cardinal. Got most of my cards signed by Frank Carpenter. Lots of surfing everyday, jumping on the weekends, and going to stuntman school during the day. Ralph Mitterick took movies of us jumping, at Elsinore, with a movie camera taped to his helmet, lol. He'd show them at the bar on Wed. nites, I think, and we'd have all-you-can-eat spaghetti for $1.00. I remember the first beach jump at Hermosa in 69. While 2nd plane was over beach a humongous fog bank moved in. The guys had jumped already. They were landing downtown, on buildings, and about everywhere except the beach. LOL. Good times.

I remember you Brenda. I was there in Hermosa Beach January 1967 to April 1967. I used to frequent the Rumbleseat Tavern while I was there.