Squall - a snowboard whose width is compariable to a ski

Bernard L. Cabatingan

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

I went to NorthStar last Thurday and saw a guy on
this snowboard that was no wider than a ski! I asked
a fellow NorthStar ski instructor what it was and he
said it was a Squall. Never heard of that brand.

Anyways...

His stance angles? Both 90 degrees of course.
Stance width? None. Rear foot was right behind
the front foot. Very Egyptian looking stance! ;^)

The board looked pretty wild. I believe a metallic
yellow/gold with what appeared to be leopard spots.
It also had a very radical side cut.

Unfortunately, I only saw him in the lift lines. So
I did not get a chance to see him/it shred the slopes.

Has anyone else see this ski-width size snowboard?

Bernard
--
Remove the '.spam.spoiler' reference before replying

Sean Martin

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98
to Bernard L. Cabatingan

The Skwal is not really a snowboard. It's kind of been termed an
in-line ski. Skwal is manufactured by Lacroix which is actually now
owned by a snowboard/ski manufacturer in Quebec(can't remember their
name right now). The video I've seen looks pretty cool. It looks like
the ultimate carving machine, but useless as a freestyle type device.
There are a lot of them in France and Europe. The question is, will it
catch on in the US? It would seen that there is a potential market to
the snowmobile crowd as it looks very similar to slalom water skiing.

--
Sean Martin
Donek Snowboards Inc.

Sean Martin

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98
to Bernard L. Cabatingan

fattrax

Jan 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/27/98

Bernard L. Cabatingan wrote:

> I went to NorthStar last Thurday and saw a guy on
> this snowboard that was no wider than a ski! I asked
> a fellow NorthStar ski instructor what it was and he
> said it was a Squall. Never heard of that brand.
>
> Anyways...
>
> His stance angles? Both 90 degrees of course.
> Stance width? None. Rear foot was right behind
> the front foot. Very Egyptian looking stance! ;^)
>
> The board looked pretty wild. I believe a metallic
> yellow/gold with what appeared to be leopard spots.
> It also had a very radical side cut.
>
> Unfortunately, I only saw him in the lift lines. So
> I did not get a chance to see him/it shred the slopes.
>
> Has anyone else see this ski-width size snowboard?
>
> Bernard
> --
> Remove the '.spam.spoiler' reference before replying

Hate ta tell ya, but this is where I draw the line! It's bad enough that
these race guy's, in their skinny suits, riding with ski boots, and
angles that face more foward than sideways, call themselves snowboarders.
This Squab, or Squail, or whatever they call it, is a ski, not a
snowboard. And the people riding it are skiers, not snowboarders.
Fattrax

Jens Finger

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

Am Mon, 26 Jan 1998 16:38:14 -0700 schrieb Sean Martin <sma...@donek.com>:

>There are a lot of them in France and Europe. The question is, will it
>catch on in the US? It would seen that there is a potential market to
>the snowmobile crowd as it looks very similar to slalom water skiing.

Sean,

I have never seen anybody ride a skwal in Europe. I only saw in a few stores.
Must be pretty hard to ride, I guess...

cheers, Jens

Schöne Grüße von Jens

+++++++++++++++++++++

Achtung! Antworten per e-mail bitte an die Adresse:

finger_at_stud.uni-frankfurt.de

http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~finger

Neal Champion

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

fattrax <fat...@landmarknet.net> did tap out :

>Hate ta tell ya, but this is where I draw the line! It's bad enough that
>these race guy's, in their skinny suits, riding with ski boots, and
>angles that face more foward than sideways, call themselves snowboarders.
You've got a problem with this, haven't you?

> This Squab, or Squail, or whatever they call it, is a ski, not a
>snowboard. And the people riding it are skiers, not snowboarders.
Actually, it's neither a ski or a snowboard. Maybe in 10 years
thousands of squall riders will be complaining about descrimination
from snowboarders :-)

Whatever you ride, just ride

Champ
Kawasaki ZZR1100, Marin Rocky Ridge, Burton SuperModel 68, Jackson Soloist
...but surely I'm more than a list of consumer durables!
Vanity Publishing at www.nchamp.demon.co.uk BOF#2 (ass.)

James Purvis

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98
to Jens Finger

> I have never seen anybody ride a skwal in Europe. I only saw in a few stores.
> Must be pretty hard to ride, I guess...

Its a piece of cake to ride. Skwal was invented in France and
manufactured by LaCroix (France). There are national and international
competitions (in France & Switzerland), and some sales and comps in
North America.

Its neither a ski nor a snowboard, but if you have a day when you want
to try something different and want easy access to carving sensations
then give it a go.... rent them at Les Contamines if you are in the
French Alps...

slinkster

Jan 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/29/98

In article <34CCE2...@osi.spam.spoiler.com>,

Bernard L. Cabatingan <bl...@osi.spam.spoiler.com> wrote:
>I went to NorthStar last Thurday and saw a guy on
>this snowboard that was no wider than a ski! I asked
>a fellow NorthStar ski instructor what it was and he
>said it was a Squall. Never heard of that brand.

It's actually spelled Skwal. They were made by Lacroix. Someone correct me
if I'm wrong, but I think they've been discontinued.

>Unfortunately, I only saw him in the lift lines. So
>I did not get a chance to see him/it shred the slopes.

Supposedly they carve very well, but I've heard they really suck for
slower riding (ie, flats, cat tracks, etc).

From what I understand, the reason Skwals never really caught on for
carving is because it's still easier to carve effectively on a snowboard,
since having at least a little bit of angle across the board allows the
rider to pressure the edge better and make quicker edge changes.

--mark
--
. . . . .

mark bock