Atomic ATC Mora vs Fischer SCS skate skis?

kleeR...@sirius.com

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

Looking for opinions or information on these skis, suitability for a
novice XC skier (experienced alpine skier and inline skater, had no
problem skating on skis).

Not inclined to spend $$ for Fischer RCS or Atomic ARC skate skis, unless
someone can convince me otherwise.

Thanks, KL

Rob MacEwen

Mar 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/6/98

In my humble opinion I think that if you're going to be serious
you would be best off by getting the best possible ski. There is a
difference and I find it much more enjoyable skiing on a pair of my
RCS rather than my cheaper pairs. The feel and performance is
noticable. If you can find an older pair of RCS from a racer who
has maintained them well you should be able to get a good price.
Either that or go for a pair one level down from the RCS. CS I think.
I have a classic pair and like them very much and are close to the RCS.
All my skis are a couple of years old now as I don't race seriously any
more though.

I think the most important consideration is the boots as that is the
interface between boot and ski. Try lots of pairs and get the best you
can afford. Your feet will thank you and they'll last along time and make
sure that losing on the technique side of things by not having the
proper support for your feet and ankles.

Cheers

Rob

W. Scott Elliot

Mar 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/6/98

A few years ago I made the mistake of letting my wife who is a confirmed
non-competitive, recreational skier have a pair of top end competition skis
my son had outgrown. Before that she had been happy using sport racing or
recreational type skis. Now she refuses to use her old skis.

If you have never used good top end competition type equipment, you should
be perfectly happy with the sport racing grade since they are much more
responsive than wider, heavier, touring equipment. Once you become used to
the light, quick response of the high end equipment, it is very difficult
to go back.

If you have the money and/or are going to be doing a lot of skiing, get the
top end models. If not, get the lower models and avoid even trying the
better ones. An alternative is to get to know an equipment freak or
sponsored skier who gets new equipment every year and pick up a good used
pair. Used, but not misused, top end equipment is more pleasant to ski on
than low end equipment, but the changes from one year to the next are not
significant.

Scott Elliot
Kelowna, B.C.

kleeR...@sirius.com wrote in article
<kleeREMOVE-05...@news.sirius.com>...

kleeR...@sirius.com

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

Thanks for the comments.

Wound up buying a last years' 96/97 RCS Cap Skate in the right size, flex,
base at a close-out price from a good local store.

Love those end of season sales!

Now I just have to ski...

KL

Mats Wichmann

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

On Thu, 05 Mar 1998 21:08:22 -0800, kleeR...@sirius.com wrote:

>Looking for opinions or information on these skis, suitability for a
>novice XC skier (experienced alpine skier and inline skater, had no
>problem skating on skis).
>
>Not inclined to spend $$ for Fischer RCS or Atomic ARC skate skis, unless
>someone can convince me otherwise.

People seem to be saying go right for the top-end stuff, or else don't
try it - you'll never be satisfied with less. I'm not sure I agree.
For your first pair you might want to try lower-end ski, as you've
suggested. I started skating this year, and I had some trouble
finding a ski to fit me because I'm a big guy (I'd be too light by
NFL-lineman standards, but by most other meaures, I'm big). Finally
Ahvo at Finn-Sisu fit me up with a pair of Rossignol Carbons, which
are a step down from the top end. I'm having a great deal of fun with
these skis as I learn, and don't have any worries with doing balance
exercises - kicking a ball, stepping around objects on a tight course,
a bit of speed work, etc. They've got some nicks on them but I'm not
worrying, they're not a $400 pair of skis I'm hacking up!!! For a
lark I tried some Fischer RCS skis one day, maybe it's because they're
a softer flex and thus don't match my profile as well, but whatever
the cause, they weren't better to ski on, they were worse.

I'd argue for learning on a pair of hacker skis! And I might even
suggest the ones I mentioned, they seem to run somewhere in the $150
range. I ski an Atomic Vasa classic ski and like it but haven't tried
the skate equivalent. The Mora is an old model and not readily
available unless you find in on closeout somewhere.

Mats Wichmann
To reply remove the "xyz" from the address
xyz...@laplaza.org

Ben & Andrea Tsui

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Mats Wichmann wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Mar 1998 21:08:22 -0800, kleeR...@sirius.com wrote:
>
> >Looking for opinions or information on these skis, suitability for a
> >novice XC skier (experienced alpine skier and inline skater, had no
> >problem skating on skis).
> >
> >Not inclined to spend $$ for Fischer RCS or Atomic ARC skate skis, unless
> >someone can convince me otherwise.
>
> People seem to be saying go right for the top-end stuff, or else don't
> try it - you'll never be satisfied with less. I'm not sure I agree.
I agree with you. How many reputable ski stores would even recommend to a
self-confessed "novice XC skier" RCSs or ARCs?!

> For your first pair you might want to try lower-end ski, as you've
> suggested. I started skating this year, and I had some trouble
> finding a ski to fit me because I'm a big guy (I'd be too light by
> NFL-lineman standards, but by most other meaures, I'm big). Finally
> Ahvo at Finn-Sisu fit me up with a pair of Rossignol Carbons, which
> are a step down from the top end. I'm having a great deal of fun with
> these skis as I learn, and don't have any worries with doing balance
> exercises - kicking a ball, stepping around objects on a tight course,
> a bit of speed work, etc. They've got some nicks on them but I'm not
> worrying, they're not a $400 pair of skis I'm hacking up!!!

I too have the Rossi Carbon skates and love 'em!

> For a
> lark I tried some Fischer RCS skis one day, maybe it's because they're
> a softer flex and thus don't match my profile as well, but whatever
> the cause, they weren't better to ski on, they were worse.

Any great pair of skis can be dogs if they are not mounted properly or matched
to your technique and weight.

BTW, the ATC Moras are considered a "combi" ski. Atomic's step-down, citizen
racer models include the ATC Vasa Skate (essentially the older ATC Skate) and
the ATC Racing Skate - in between the Vasa Skate and the ARCs. The Fischer SCS
is probably closest to the ATC Racing Skates, Madshus Lillihammers, and the
aforementioned Rossi Carbons.

--
Cheers!

And Remember..."Don't forget to smile!"