Q: Tele boots & crampons - any experiences ?

16 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Juergen Roland

ungelesen,
05.11.1995, 03:00:0005.11.95
an
Hi all,

i am going to buy a new pair of telemark boots within the next few weeks.
Since i'm also planning to buy crampons that fit both, my old hiking boots
and the new tele boots, a couple of questions arise:

1. A while ago i already had a look at crampons and noticed that apparently
no model would fit a tele boot because of the boot's wide tip (75mm Nordic).
Are there any crampons available at all that _might_ fit tele boots ?

2. If there are such crampons, is it likely to find some that'll fit my
rigid hiking boots as well (lightweight, switchblades, ...) ?

3. If not, is it possible to modify crampons in a secure way so that they
will fit either boot ?

Please also point out your experience with any possible combination that
would fit my needs. BTW, i'll most likely go for the Scarpa T2s.

Thanks in advance,

Juergen

Juergen Roland * Networking & GIS * E-MAIL:
Dept. of Geography rol...@geo.uni-sb.de
University of Saarbruecken j.ro...@rz.uni-sb.de
Im Stadtwald
D-66041 Saarbruecken "Es ist unmoeglich, die Fackel der Wahrheit
Phone: +49-681-302-2666 durch ein Gedraenge zu tragen, ohne jemandem
Fax : +49-681-302-2364 den Bart zu sengen." G. C. Lichtenberg, 1780

san...@teleport.com

ungelesen,
05.11.1995, 03:00:0005.11.95
an
In article <47in6n$f...@hades.rz.uni-sb.de>,

Juergen Roland <j.ro...@rz.uni-sb.de> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>i am going to buy a new pair of telemark boots within the next few weeks.
>Since i'm also planning to buy crampons that fit both, my old hiking boots
>and the new tele boots, a couple of questions arise:
>
>1. A while ago i already had a look at crampons and noticed that apparently
>no model would fit a tele boot because of the boot's wide tip (75mm Nordic).
>Are there any crampons available at all that _might_ fit tele boots ?

[...]

>Please also point out your experience with any possible combination that
>would fit my needs. BTW, i'll most likely go for the Scarpa T2s.

I've been looking to do the same thing for my leather Asolo Extremes.
I've got a buddy who uses T2's and BD switchblades. I'm not sure why
they fit. Here's my hunch however....

I've noticed some toe (and heel) bails a sprung steel
that can slide outward from the crampon frame to accommodate
varying widths of toes(heels). You'll notice, say, an extra 3/4 inch
of bail wire freeplay before the crimping of the ends.

My buddy likes the rigid crampon to stiffen up the toe so he can
kick steps better.

ADam
--
| Adam Calder Munhall san...@teleport.com |
| artist, carpenter, plumber, mechanic, programmer, mountaineer, human, & more |

Anthony

ungelesen,
06.11.1995, 03:00:0006.11.95
an
I use a pair of Charlet Moser Black Ice Crampons with a lanier toe bail.
They fit on my size 12.5 SuperComps as well as all my leather and plastic
climbing boots. No need to modify anything.

P.D.T...@ncl.ac.uk

ungelesen,
06.11.1995, 03:00:0006.11.95
an san...@teleport.com

Adam Calder Munhall wrote:

>I've noticed some toe (and heel) bails a sprung steel
>that can slide outward from the crampon frame to accommodate
>varying widths of toes(heels). You'll notice, say, an extra 3/4 inch
>of bail wire freeplay before the crimping of the ends.

if your saying what i think yor saying: if you bend those wires out to
give more width there'll be a much increased bending force at the bend in
the wire, possibly causing it to pop out - probably at an entirely
undesirable moment

that said, i've never had any difficulty putting a crampon on a tele'
boot, there's normally enough width since the crampon doesn't sit around
the very front of the boot, but back abit where the widths of tele boots
and ordinary boots aren't dissimilar.
the main difference is that the front points don't stick out much.

happy sking, Phil.

P.D.T...@ncl.ac.uk

ungelesen,
06.11.1995, 03:00:0006.11.95
an san...@teleport.com

Adam Calder Munhall wrote:

happy skiing, Phil.

bh...@lehigh.edu

ungelesen,
07.11.1995, 03:00:0007.11.95
an
In article <47in6n$f...@hades.rz.uni-sb.de>,
Juergen Roland <j.ro...@rz.uni-sb.de> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>i am going to buy a new pair of telemark boots within the next few weeks.
>Since i'm also planning to buy crampons that fit both, my old hiking boots
>and the new tele boots, a couple of questions arise:
>>
>1. A while ago i already had a look at crampons and noticed that apparently
>no model would fit a tele boot because of the boot's wide tip (75mm Nordic).
>Are there any crampons available at all that _might_ fit tele boots ?

[...]
>Please also point out your experience with any possible combination that
>would fit my needs. BTW, i'll most likely go for the Scarpa T2s.

I'm trying to remember the heel on the T2's, but I think it would accept a
step-in crampon (I'm not sure). Anyway, I have Simond Scorpions which are
hinged crampons that actually preform well on stuff that usually requires
rigid platforms. I'm not saying you can cruise up a steep pillar with them,
but they certainly perform better than any other hinged crampon to my limited
knowledge. But the best feature of the scorpions is that they will pretty much
adapt to any boot, even if it is wide and even if it doesn't have tremendously
pronounced welts on the toe and heel. They do tend to fall out of adjustment
easily though. Nothing that can't be fixed with some duct tape. If you want
rigid, Footfangs might fit. Good luck.

Davgood

ungelesen,
07.11.1995, 03:00:0007.11.95
an
i am going to buy a new pair of telemark boots within the next few weeks.
Since i'm also planning to buy crampons that fit both, my old hiking boots

and the new tele boots, a couple of questions arise:

1. A while ago i already had a look at crampons and noticed that
apparently
no model would fit a tele boot because of the boot's wide tip (75mm
Nordic).
Are there any crampons available at all that _might_ fit tele boots ?>

I've used Messner Scissor Crampons (made by Salewa) with a variety of tele
boots over the years, and the Messners work great on all of them.

David Goodman

Kevin Geraghty

ungelesen,
08.11.1995, 03:00:0008.11.95
an
dav...@aol.com (Davgood) writes:

>David Goodman

I have some hinged adjustable GAB crampons, they work and fit fine. I
use them on T-1's as well as half-shank scrambling/climbing boots
(Asolo yukons) Anyway, I am happy with them.

You cannot use rigid step-in crampons with a flexible-soled boot;
tele-boots, of course, are designed to flex, so you're pretty much
restricted to hinged crampons. Besides, you'ld look pretty silly
front-pointing up some steep hard-man ice in your tele boots.
Forget about front-pointing or technical ice climbing in tele boots.

Kevin Geraghty

PowerFord

ungelesen,
16.11.1995, 03:00:0016.11.95
an
Upon receipt of my new front-throw Rainey 'new' SuperLoops, I was
intrigued by the last few sentences of the mounting instructions. This
narrative alluded to an ability to trim most of the 'duckbill' off the
front of a tele boot, thus aiding the boot's usefulness in technical
climbing.

I must say, looking at the new Rainey, that quite a bit of the duckbill
COULD be removed without hindering the down-holding function of the
binding's 'ears'. Rainey suggests ordering a $5 video from them which
includes info on this topic. Sounds a little radical to me, but what do I
know??

ungelesen,
18.11.1995, 03:00:0018.11.95
an
I've done it. It works!! WELL!!

Jim Vermeulen

ungelesen,
18.11.1995, 03:00:0018.11.95
an
In article <48jdp6$2rg$1...@mhafc.production.compuserve.com> x <72202...@CompuServe.COM> writes:
>From: x <72202...@CompuServe.COM>
>Subject: Re: Q: Tele boots & crampons - any experiences ?
>Date: 18 Nov 1995 01:44:06 GMT

Has anyone used crampon with T2's? How do they work?

Jim Vermeulen

Lou Dawson

ungelesen,
18.11.1995, 03:00:0018.11.95
an
And you never know, perhaps in a few years Rainy will make a binding
that's interchangeable from right to left! It's certainly about time
people weren't stuck with those duckbills on their toes when they're
trying to go mountaineering...
--
'Best, Lou Dawson (Carbondale, Colorado, USA)
Mere Flexus! Nix Indomitus!

Allen antworten
Dem Autor antworten
Weiterleiten