actual skiing content!!!

VtSkier

Oct 29, 2013, 4:02:51 PM10/29/13
Yes folks, the ski season has begun in New England. Killington opened
Thursday with skiing from 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM, again on Friday as a party
for season pass holders which included free lunch for them.

Saturday and Sunday they were open for anybody.

I went up Saturday and skied from 8:30 AM until about 2:00 PM. Lots of
people having lots of fun.

The K-1 Gondola was open to transport you to the top. You would ski down
Great Northern to North Ridge and Rime trail to the bottom of North
Ridge Triple. Take laps on North Ridge including all of Rime, Reason had
a small park set up for the kids and Upper Double Dipper was open as
well as Upper East Fall, so you had basically 2 and a half trails to ski
off one lift. But hey! It was white and slippery. My characterization
was, "Amazingly not bad."

The rub came at the end of the day. With no snow from North Ridge down,
you had to go to the top of North Ridge triple and walk up the Summit
Walkway aka "Stairway to Heaven". That's a mostly wooden walkway that is
750 feet long and has 226 steps up to take you back to the top of the
Gondola which you download to get back to the base area.

I noted that people did this at lunchtime. Found that the trip getting
down was so exhausting that they never came back after lunch so the
crowd thinned out considerably. I knew all this and so I took a sandwich
up with me which is why I lasted until about 2.

But hey, it's skiing in October. I also understand that Stowe opened
Saturday as well but I'm not sure of other areas... maybe Sunday River.

Anybody else get skiing this past weekend? Let us know.

By the way, the mountain says that weather permitting, they are open for
the season. We are expecting a couple of warm days at the end of the
week but they don't think it will close them down. Skiing, however, will
remain limited for a while. I don't plan to go back until I can ski top
to bottom. I like the walkway for what it allows us to do, but I'm
really TFO (too f--ing old) to walk it very often.

Walt

Oct 29, 2013, 4:45:20 PM10/29/13
On 10/29/2013 4:02 PM, VtSkier wrote:

> Anybody else get skiing this past weekend? Let us know.

Nope, but I did wait patiently for the lifts to open.

http://epicski.onthesnow.com/t/122538/waiting-patiently-for-the-lifts-to-open

--
//Walt

Walt

Oct 31, 2013, 11:05:46 AM10/31/13
On 10/29/2013 4:02 PM, VtSkier wrote:
> But hey, it's skiing in October. I also understand that Stowe opened
> Saturday as well but I'm not sure of other areas... maybe Sunday River.

On The Snow only lists Loveland, ABasin, and Kmart as being open so far.
I would expect a number of others this weekend.

http://www.onthesnow.com/open_resorts_all.html

> Anybody else get skiing this past weekend? Let us know.

Not yet, but we're getting there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7D1kBP8YAU

--
//Walt

pigo

Nov 1, 2013, 8:18:40 PM11/1/13
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:05:46 AM UTC-6, Walt wrote:

> > Anybody else get skiing this past weekend? Let us know.

Golf. First year since 1978 without a pass or plans to ski.