MIDNIGHT DEMON, 29th JANUARY 2004

Freddy Krueger

Jan 27, 2004, 7:56:26 PM1/27/04

THE

MIDNIGHT

DEMON

JANUARY 29, 2004

Australia's "alternative views" electronic newspaper

A service of Anonymous Demonic Newswire Services

Published from Coober Pedy, SA, Australia

SPECIAL TENTH ANNIVERSAY GREAT FLAMEWAR COMMEMERATIVE EDITION!!

In this issue:

*_Great Flamewar, 10 years ago

GREAT FLAMEWAR 10 YEARS AGO

        SACRAMENTO, California (ADMS) -  It was ten years ago today, that the most massive

flamewar  in the entire HISTORY of the Internet started. Ten years ago today, the Great

Flamewar of 1994 started.

        The Tonya/Nancy scandal resulted in one MASSIVELY cross-posted Usenet article, by

some rabid, and I mean RABID Tonyaphile, who believed in her innocence, come hell or

high water, caused a lot of havoc on the Internet. On 29th January, 1994, one article,

cross-posted to more than 100 groups, created total chaos all as it broke systems all over

the place.

        The first one was a forgery to make it look like it came from anon.penet.fi (Julf

did not allow cross posting at that time). Digging in the Google archives, the

original massively cross-posted article, made in 1994, appears to have originated on

one of two computers in Sacramento, California. Whoever it was, was able to make

a pretty good forgery

        Now those who try to find most of the flamewar won’t find much of it in the

Google archives, because the archives, prior to late 1995, are not complete, but

he flamewar was one of the most MASSIVE flamewars EVER.

        The resulting flamage was enough to break Waffle systems, primarily in the

San Francisco Bay Area.  Numerous Waffle sites in the San Jose and Santa Cruz

area were hit HARD by this massive flamewar. Waffle sites literally crashed under

load, and Tonyaphiles and Tonyaphobes started duking it out. At one point, the

flamewar was reaching 2000 posts an HOUR, which is makes it STILL the KING

of flamewars.  The Google archives, prior to 1995 are not complete, which is

why you don’t see a lot of it.  However, that flamewar did, at its peak reached

2000 posts an hour, multiply that by numerous cross-posts, and you have TOTAL
CHAOS, which is what happened

        Someone once forged one of my anon.penet.fi addresses at one point in this

flamewar, and I still remember the ANGRY E-mail I got from one person, sent

via Penet. What happened is this guy, was a student at San Jose State University,

and was running his own ISP to earn money while in college. What happened was

that when his system crashed, he lost all his homework, and he was justifiably

angry. I remember well when he said “I’m gonna rip your balls off when I find

you, you son of a bitch!!!”. Hit site got hit EXTREMELY hard, and he lost a

paper for English class, several lab reports for Chemistry and Physics, and

a few  programming assignments for computer science classes. He was forced

to take 3 Fs (ouch!!!!!!!) that semester and end up on Academic Probation. He

was steamed, and I don’t blame him.

        It must have been a Tonyaphile from somewhere else in the world who

must have broken into a system either in Sacramento, or in the Bay Area.

You see, California is NOT known for its figure skaters. There has NEVER

been a champion figure skater from ANYWHERE in California. There are not

that many skatefans in California. Heck, there are ONLY FOUR ice rinks in

the ENTIRE State of Califonria. There are rinks in Vacaville, Roseville,

San Dimas, and Santa Rosa. The ONLY club in California affiliated with the

USFSA is the Los Angeles Figure Skating Club.

        There are some champion skaters that have represented the LAFSC

(Kwan, Cohen, Bobeck), but NONE of these skaters were BORN in

California (Kwan was born in Florida, Cohen in Cuba, and Bobeck in Australia).

There are NO USFSA/ISU skaters, clubs, rinks, or coaches from or in the Bay

Area, PERIOD!!!!!!!!

        Right here in Sacramento, where the Great Flamewar of 1994 is believed

to have started from, there were NO ice rinks in the Sacramento area, at the

time, other than the downtown holiday rink. Until Skate Town in Roseville

opened up in the late 1990s, the Sacramento area had ZERO ice rinks. Skate

Town will probably be the only ice rink to EVER exist in the Sacramento

area. Skate Town is the ONLY ice rink in the Sacramento Metro Area,

specifically the Yolo, Sutter, Sacramento, Placer, El Dorado, Yuba, Sutter,

San Joaquin, and Stanlislaus countries.

        Whoever this nutcase was, is probably one of the most rabid Tonyaphiles

there are. Tonya was involved in the plot to whack Nancy? Do you think

she would have plea bargained, if she she did not do it. The evidence was

mounting against Tonya, and a plea deal was the only way for her to avoid

prison..