DEMONIZER, 20th SEPTEMBER 2002

1 view

Pluto Nash

Sep 20, 2002, 8:38:31 PM9/20/02

TTTTTTTTT H H EEEEEEE
T H H E
T HHHHHH EEEEEEE
T H H E
T H E EEEEEEE

DDDDDDDD EEEEEE M M OOOOOOO N N I ZZZZZ EEEEER RRRR
D D E MM MM O O NN N I Z E R R
D D EEEEEE M M M M O O N N N I Z E R R
D D E M M M M O O N N N I Z EEEEEE RRRRR
D D E M M M O O N NN I Z E R R
DDDDDDDD EEEEEE M M OOOOOOO N N I ZZZZZ EEEEE R R

SEPTEMBER 20, 2002

Australia's "progressive views" left-wing E-zine
Published By Anonymous Demonic Media

News and views from Australia, Britain, and the British Commonwealth

Port Arthur, Tasmania, Australia
Home of the Storm Bay Figure Skating Club
Home club of TASMANIAN skater SARA HUGHES
Australia's first ladies Olympic gold medallist in 46 YEARS!!!
AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE!
OI! OI! OI!

REPORTING FROM HERMOSILLO, MEXICO

In this issue:

*-Cubans in 2nd and third place after ladies short

CUBANS IN SECOND AND THIRD PLACE AFTER THE LADIES SHORT

HERMOSILLO, Mexico (ADMS) - Cuba has shown that it is still a force to
be reckoned with in figure skating. Cuban skaters now occupy 2nd and 3rd
place after the ladies short program here at JGP#3, in Hermosillo.
First place, however, belongs to Akiko Suzuki, of Japan, who gets first
place rankings from 8 out of the 9 judges here in Hermosillo. Japan never
won any figure skating medals anywhere until 1994, when Yuka Sato won the
world title that year.
Second place, at this time, belongs to Felicia Morales Beck, of Cuba.
She has be coming up in the junior rankings, and show cross over to the
senior level in another year. She finsihed 3rd in the junior level at the
North American championships, last season. Felicia was born on 27th October
, 1985, in Havana. Felicia could very well become the next Olympic champion,
in 2006, and prove a challenge to Sara Hughes and Sasha Cohen.
In third place right now is Beatriz Guevara Liang, from Cienfuegos, Cuba.
She was 9th at the senior level North American championships, last season.
Beatriz is also seen as another potential future Cuban medallist. It would
be something to see Felicia and Beatriz go 1-2 at the Olympics in 2006. Cuba
put two on the podium at the 1988 Olympics, when Catarina Witt won gold,
and Debi Tomas won bronze that year.
We have said that Australia is coming up in figure skating. Sara Hughes
proved that by winning gold last season, at the Olympics, and now we have
another potential Australian champion in the making. Lauren Wilson, in her
first season at this level, is in 7th place after the ladies short program.
Sara's gold has given the sport of figure skating a much needed kick-in-the-
pants, here in Australia. An increased interest in gymnastics occurred in
1996, after Shannen Miller won the balance beam gold for Australia at the
Olympics that year.
The other two Australians in the field, Albia and Lonsdale, are 17th and
19th place right now, but Australia is still proving itself a contender.
Sara Hughes become Australia's first ladies Olympic gold medallist, in skating,
in 46 years, at the Olympics. The previous ladies Olympic champ had been
Tenley Albright, back in 1956.
The lone USA entry, Danielle Kahle, is currently in 9th place after the
ladies short program, here at JGP#3, in Hermosillo. Kahle was the novice
level champ at the 2002 North Americans.

2002 JUNIOR GRAND PRIX SERIES
JGP#3
EL SAUCEDO ARENA
HERMOSILLO, MEXICO