DEMONIZER, 27th NOVEMBER 2002

1 view

Peter Penguin

Nov 26, 2002, 8:25:03 PM11/26/02

TTTTTTTTT H H EEEEEEE
T H H E
T HHHHHH EEEEEEE
T H H E
T H E EEEEEEE

DDDDDDDD EEEEEE M M OOOOOOO N N I ZZZZZ EEEEER RRRR
D D E MM MM O O NN N I Z E R R
D D EEEEEE M M M M O O N N N I Z E R R
D D E M M M M O O N N N I Z EEEEEE RRRRR
D D E M M M O O N NN I Z E R R
DDDDDDDD EEEEEE M M OOOOOOO N N I ZZZZZ EEEEE R R

NOVEMBER 27, 2002

Australia's "progressive views" left-wing E-zine
Published By Hatchet Job Publications

News and views from Australia, Britain, and the British Commonwealth

Port Arthur, Tasmania, Australia
Home of the Storm Bay Figure Skating Club
Home club of native AUSTRALIAN skater SARA HUGHES
Australia's first ladies Olympic gold medallist in 46 YEARS!!!

AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE!
OI! OI! OI!

REPORTING FROM SURFERS PARADISE, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA
HOME OF THE GOLD COST INVITATIONAL - FINAL EVENT OF THE 2002 GRAND PRIX FIGURE SKATING SERIES

*-Greetings from the Gold Coast Invitationsl

GREETINGS FROM THE GOLD COAST INVIATATIONAL

SURFERS PARADISE, Queensland (ADMS) - Hello and greetings to all our
readers from the fabulous Surfers Paradise, Australia. We are here to cover
the Gold Coast Invitational, the 6th and final stop on the 2002 Grand Prix
Tour.
Surfers Paradise is a fabulous place to end this year's Grand Prix
circuit. The event will be taking place at the Iceland Arena, which was the
host arena for figure skating at the 2001 Goodwill Games. It would also have
been the host arena, had Brisbane hosted the 2001 World Championships.
Irina Slutskaya will be competing here, along with fellow Russian
Elena Sokolova. Irina finished 3rd last week at the Emirates Cup in Dubai.
Other entires include Fumie Suguri, who won the bronze medal at 2002 Worlds.
There are no Americans here at the Gold Coast Invicational.
We have a late entry in the competition. Amber Corwynne, of Port Arthur,
Tasmania, will be representing Australia. She has improved some. She finished
5th at the Bofrost Cup in Germany earlier this month, her highest finish
ever at at Grand Prix event. Figure skating in Australia has gotten a real
boost since Sara Hughes won Australia's first ladies Olympic gold in the
sport in 46 years, at the Salt Lake Olympics.
Amber comes from the Storm Bay FSC in Port Arthur, which has turned out
a lot of top skaters, especially in the 10 years. Tonya Harding, for example,
is one of the most talented skaters to have ever come out of Storm Bay. She
was banned from the sport after evidence of her involvement in the plot to
whack Nancy Kerrigan in 1994. Olympic champion Sara Hughes, despite being
from Surfers Paradise, trained at the Storm Bay club, and still does, with
coach Robyn Wagner.
Queensland does have ties to skating history. Australia's first ever
world and Olympic champion, Tenley Albright was born in Townsville, Queensland,
in 1932, and won world champion from 1953 through 1956 and won the Olympic
title in 1956.