NASDS (National Association of Scoba Diving Schools) the oldest cert. agency

chickenphish

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
Did you know that the NASDS was the oldest certification agency? Check
out their web site for more info.....http://www.webs.net/nasds

Andrew L. Jenks

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
Thanks, I'd been looking for that address!

--
Andrew L. Jenks
uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!vaps5aj

Jim Greenlee

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
In article <4jpcql$k...@oolong.memphis.edu>,

chickenphish <uram...@cc.memphis.edu> wrote:
>Did you know that the NASDS was the oldest certification agency?

You better check your source again. LA County (1958?), YMCA (1959),
and NAUI (1960) all offered certification courses prior to the
formation of the NASDS.

-JimG

--
Jim Greenlee (j...@cc.gatech.edu) Naq gur zbeny bs gur fgbel vf gung
Instructor, College of Computing rira n cbfgvat jvgu ab pbagrag pna

Konrad Haskins

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96
chickenphish <uram...@cc.memphis.edu> wrote:

>Did you know that the NASDS was the oldest certification agency? Check
>out their web site for more info.....http://www.webs.net/nasds

Last time I checked the oldest was LA county.

Konrad

Ken Sallot

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
In article <4jpfb3$2...@cleon.cc.gatech.edu> j...@cc.gatech.edu (Jim Greenlee) writes:

>In article <4jpcql$k...@oolong.memphis.edu>,

>chickenphish <uram...@cc.memphis.edu> wrote:
>>Did you know that the NASDS was the oldest certification agency?

>You better check your source again. LA County (1958?), YMCA (1959),

>and NAUI (1960) all offered certification courses prior to the
>formation of the NASDS.

>-JimG

>--
>Jim Greenlee (j...@cc.gatech.edu) Naq gur zbeny bs gur fgbel vf gung
>Instructor, College of Computing rira n cbfgvat jvgu ab pbagrag pna
>Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332 nzhfr na vqvbg sbe n srj zvahgrf.

Jim,

Not to mention the NASDS homepage has nothing about that. The only thing it
says is they just are now celebrating their 35th anniversary.

Ken

Jack Carr

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
In article <4jpcql$k...@oolong.memphis.edu>, chickenphish
<uram...@cc.memphis.edu> wrote:

> Did you know that the NASDS was the oldest certification agency? Check
> out their web site for more info.....http://www.webs.net/nasds

The oldest, most respected, and most prestigous certification organization
is LACO (LA County Department of Parks and Recreation) The second oldest
is National YMCA, and I believe NAUI is next. LACO, YMCA, and NAUI are
the only ones that are non-profit.

NASDS has an excellent reputation and is strong in physiology. NASDS and
SSI have one drawback - their instructors cannot teach independent of a
dive shop; they must be affiliated with a dive shop.

LACO and YMCA are leaders in tough course requirements - they produce the
best divers. YMCA instructor program is extremely difficult, many
candidates are sent home.

Aloha,

Jack Carr
Honolulu, HI

Jean-Pierre Botha

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
j...@cc.gatech.edu (Jim Greenlee) wrote:

> In article <4jpcql$k...@oolong.memphis.edu>,
> chickenphish <uram...@cc.memphis.edu> wrote:
> >Did you know that the NASDS was the oldest certification agency?
>
> You better check your source again. LA County (1958?), YMCA (1959),
> and NAUI (1960) all offered certification courses prior to the
> formation of the NASDS.

Before the Americans start thinking they invented scuba diving :-)...
does anybody know when BSAC , CMAS etc was formed ?

cheers
JP

Lee Bell

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
I find several things in the following posts (more than one poster)
hard to accept. I wouldn't want to call anyone a fibber, but I have my
doubts.

> Did you know that the NASDS was the oldest certification agency?

>Check out their web site for more info.....http://www.webs.net/nasds

I find this hard to believe, but don't know. A later entry to this
post says otherwise.

>The oldest, most respected, and most prestigous certification
>organization is LACO (LA County Department of Parks and Recreation)

At least part of this is clearly wrong. Outside of the LA area, I
suspect very few people know about LACO. They can hardly be considered
the most respected or pretigous agency if most divers don't know of
them.

>The second oldest is National YMCA, and I believe NAUI is next.

The order on this looks right. YMCA is older than NAUI and both are
older than PADI.

>LACO, YMCA, and NAUI are the only ones that are non-profit.

I find it hard to believe NAUI is non-profit. Could be wrong, but
still find it hard to believe. I know they charged me.

>NASDS has an excellent reputation and is strong in physiology.

Sounds good to me. Don't know, can't comment.

>NASDS and SSI have one drawback - their instructors cannot teach
>independent of a dive shop; they must be affiliated with a dive shop.

Since the only SSI instructor I know of in this area was not affiliated
with a dive shop, at least nothing I'd call a dive shop, I doubt this.
Since it's possible that the person I know of is not in strict
compliance with SSI rules, I'll just keep the name to myself.

>LACO and YMCA are leaders in tough course requirements - they produce
>the best divers. YMCA instructor program is extremely difficult, many
>candidates are sent home.

I know nothing of LACO. I have heard that YMCA is high quality. I
would debate whether they produce the best divers since I'm not
certified by either. As said by just about everyone who's opinion
counts with me, the instructor is the key and even a good instructor
can not guarantee good divers. All certification agencies produce good
divers. Some may be more likely to do so than others, but good divers
are a product of a good instructor, good student, natural and learned
skills and experience.

>Aloha,

Aloha to you too.

Lee

Carl Heinzl

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96

>>LACO, YMCA, and NAUI are the only ones that are non-profit.

>I find it hard to believe NAUI is non-profit. Could be wrong, but
>still find it hard to believe. I know they charged me.

Since *WHEN* does non-profit == FREE ??? HINT - ***IT DOESN'T***
comes from to pay for the C card, the people who run NAUI HQ, to pay
for the instructors, etc? Sorry, you're really absolutely wrong on
this statement. NAUI is indeed a non-profit organization and PADI is
indeed a "for profit" agency.

-Carl-

Malcolm Weir

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
Jean-Pierre Botha wrote:

> Before the Americans start thinking they invented scuba diving :-)...
> does anybody know when BSAC , CMAS etc was formed ?

While SCUBA was not an American "invention", _Sport Diving_ was! The
idea of teaching the general public how to dive for fun started in
Southern California...

NASDS was the first with the idea of teaching people for profit (as an
agency).

Malc.

--
Malcolm Weir
ma...@deltanet.com

Ray McAllister

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96
Include Scripps Institution of Oceanography in the list. We certified the
first scuba divers in 1952. I know for I taught the course under Connie
Limbaugh's control.

Diving Dinosaur, Geologist/Oceanographer/Ocean Engineer, 44 years SCUBA
mcal...@gate.net (954) 426-0808, Author Diving Locations, Boynton/Dania

Smedleyt

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96
In article <CGH.96Ap...@baden.ai.mit.edu>, c...@zurich.ai.mit.edu
(Carl Heinzl) writes:

>NAUI is indeed a non-profit organization and PADI is
>indeed a "for profit" agency.

Carl,

You harp a lot on profit vs non-profit.. Are you trying to degrade NAUI
that their staff doesn't know how to make money??? Actually, there are as
many Grand Cherokees in the parking lot at NAUI HQ as there are at PADI
HQ...

If both agencies charge the same amount for certification fees, the
organizational tax structure is transparent to the consumer. What I'm
saying is, if I'm going to get training and certification for a sport, the
tax status of the agency doesn't make a rat's patooey to me.

I don't know of a NAUI, PADI, SSI, YMCA, NASDS or any of the other various
dive centers or college programs that will teach you to dive for free.. I
do have a friend who has a wife's sister-in-law's cousin's husband that is
a bankruptcy lawyer and his waiting room is full of merchants that are not
turning a profit..

What ever business you are in,,,, do you work for free??????

Tom
smed...@aol.com

Chuck Hopf

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96
to c...@zurich.ai.mit.edu
Speaking as someone who has been the President of a not for profit
corporation, the difference is really academic and primarily a tax dodge.
If you run a non-profit corporation with no intent to make profit, pretty
soon, you will have no organization since incomes must grow to keep pace
with ever increasing costs. The real question is who gets the profits and
how much will the IRS allow you before they take away tyour non-profit
status.

d...@ccnet.com

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
I have no opinion on the quality of NASDS as a certification agency.
I do think that being the oldest certification agency has absolutly no
correlation to being the best.
-DC

Tim

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96

now I know the definition of sports diving ie. 'profit' thanks <G>

tim

J Shepherd

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
Ray McAllister <mcal...@gate.net> writes:

I would *love* to see the course materials for that. What did
you cover? What kit did you use? What were you diving for? How many
people were there? Outside of the Navies, this must be amongst the first
'courses'.

Any commercial outfits still in operation which predate this?
Draeger must do - did they ever train? COMEX?

Jason

J Shepherd

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
Malcolm Weir <ma...@deltanet.com> writes:

>Jean-Pierre Botha wrote:
>>
>> Before the Americans start thinking they invented scuba diving :-)...
>> does anybody know when BSAC , CMAS etc was formed ?

>While SCUBA was not an American "invention", _Sport Diving_ was! The
>idea of teaching the general public how to dive for fun started in
>Southern California...

Diving for *fun*? What an interesting idea. I never thought of
that. Gosh.

I wonder why they did then? CMAS is probably a cover for
SPECTRE, and I just *know* BSAC is actually the British Superior
Allpowerful Communists. Aside from hoping to have qualified divers in
the event of another call-up, I rather suspect diving for fun had
something to do with it.

>NASDS was the first with the idea of teaching people for profit (as an
>agency).

Ahhh! Does that make them recreational then? Diving for
relaxation! What a dream. Sport diving, what with David's 200 pushups a week
and all the trophies available... :-) Now that must have originated in a
SoCal sweatshop.

>Malc.
>--
>Malcolm Weir
>ma...@deltanet.com

Here's a serious question. When did the HSE start to look at
Diving matters? Straight after the war, or did they wait until the North
Sea? Any diving which isn't for fun is coerced, and thus falls under
their mandate. In the UK, which is of course the whole world when it
comes to diving.

Jason

Terry Rioux

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
to j...@tattoo.ed.ac.uk
j...@tattoo.ed.ac.uk (J Shepherd) wrote:
>Ray McAllister <mcal...@gate.net> writes:
>
>>Include Scripps Institution of Oceanography in the list. We certified >>the first scuba divers in 1952. I know for I taught the co=

urse under >>Connie Limbaugh's control.
>>Ray McAllister, Prof (Emeritus) Ocean Eng., FAU, Boca Raton, FL 33064
>>Diving Dinosaur, Geologist/Oceanographer/Ocean Engineer, 44 years SCUBA
>
> I would *love* to see the course materials for that. What did
>you cover? What kit did you use? What were you diving for? How many
>people were there? Outside of the Navies, this must be amongst the first
>'courses'.
> Jason

I have in my office files some correspondence between Conrad Limbaugh,
who established the first U.S. scientific diving program at Scripps in
the late 1940's, and David M. Owen, who initiated the diving program at
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in the early 1950's. The first two
letters in the series are copied below. This will be a bit long, but it
may be interesting to diving history enthusiasts (errors in typing will
be my own).

" June 9, 1953
Mr. Conrad Limbaugh
Chief Diver
Special Developments Div.
Scripps Inst. of Oceanography
La Jolla, California

Dear Mr. Limbaugh:

As you probably already know, I have already written Frank Hetzel
twice recently concerning the availability of the forthcoming handbook on
maintenance and repair of the Aqua-Lung, and one or two other technical
details. Mr. Rene Bussoz, of the U.S. Divers Co. had previously
mentioned Mr. Hetzel in connection with Aqua-Lung maintenance.

I have been with W.H.O.I. since 1946, beginning as a hydrographic
observer and since 1948 have been responsible for most of the deep sea
photography work in Woods Hole - an extension of Dr. M. Ewing's
activities in this field. An Office of Naval Research contract was set
up in early 1952 to sponsor full time employment in underwater
photography.

During the spring and summer of 1952, W.H.O.I. was actively
introduced to Aqua-Lung diving be a visit of Capt. Cousteau, and a Brown
University undergraduate - R. Stark - who we had hired for a specific
project. After a summer of getting the feel of the Aqua-Lung, it was
mutually agreed that the three actively interested parties - myself, W.T.
Hammond (no longer with the contract), and L.D. Hoadley (research
engineer), should undergo Navy training.

This training, in January and February of 1953, consisted of a
physical examination, a session in the recompression chamber to 50
p.s.i., and ascents with the Momsen Lung in the New London Submarine
Escape Training Tower, plus two weeks with Underwater Demolition Unit Two
in the Virgin Islands. LCDR F.D. Fane, of UDT-1, who visited Woods Hole,
recommended the latter underwater swimmers course. On this June 20, I
expect a return visit to the Tower for "free ascent" training, or ascents
from a maximum of 100 feet with no breathing appliance.

Our diving equipment now consists mainly of 5 Aqua-Lung regulators,
10 bottle units, 4 rubber suits, many commercially available accessories,
a Robot Star Underwater camera, 35 mm Diax, and underwater exposure
meter. We are collaborating with Dr. Harold E. Edgerton of M.I.T., in
the design of underwater strobe lighting equipment.

So much for an historical background. We realize that Scripps has
been actively engaged in diving for several years, the field becoming an
important phase of the research program. In the course of that time, the
accumulation of experience has qualified you to make some comments
regarding its present value in Oceanography, and future possibilities.

We would like to become familiar with the training setup for
neophyte divers at Scripps, the general structure of operations, and
safety measures which must have evolved. Lt. Kohn Knaus recently
described to me some of your work, and a few days ago, I talked with
Gordon Groves, from Scripps. I am also familiar with the Nov. 1952
report by the Panel on Underwater Swimmers.

At the present time, Aqua-Lung diving is a function of the
underwater photography program at W.H.O.I., and we are on the threshold,
so to speak, of a new means of oceanographic observation. This
threshold, however, is rather difficult to cross in the Cape Cod and New
England Region due to factors such as water turbidity, low temperatures,
and currents. The water temperature drops to approximately freezing in
the winter, and right now it is between 59 and 61°F. The average surface
temperature of Cape Cod Bay in July is about 65°F and according to some
BT records, the deepest bottom (say 120 feet) temperature can be 45°F.
Below a depth of 35-40 feet during the summer in Cape Cod Bay, the
temperaute is usually less than 55°. Buzzards Bay and Nantucket Sound
are slightly warmer.

The water clarity near shore is not very dependable, even stratified
in localities. Occasionally the bottom can be seen at 20 feet in the
Woods Hole area, but that is better than average. Currents of four knots
or greater are not uncommon in the vicinity of Woods Hole.

These are some reasons why diving has received such a slow start at
W.H.O.I. It is now felt that the experimental stage of free diving is
over, as Scripps and other more favorably situated laboratories have
indicated, and Woods Hole may now benefit - even should it turn out to be
relatively limited in scope.

The principal contributions of the Aqua-Lung at W.H.O.I. to date have
been: 1/ quick surveys of scallop beds in Cape Cod Bay (depth about 55
feet, 2/ checking the effective placement on the bottom, or operation of
oceanographic instruments (to 60 feet), 3/ and various workaday
operations such as the retrieval of lost valuable gear and ship hull
maintenance. This summer we contemplate the placement and maintenance of
a new time-lapse underwater movie camera (engineered by Mr. Hoadley), and
the observation and photography of scallop and quahog dredges in action,
and possible assistence in a geological survey.

I am primarily a photographer, not a trained geologist or biologist,
and hope to gradually expand the number of people who dive. I have seen
the section devoted to diving and underwater photography in the Capricorn
report from Scripps, and would like to know the approximate distance from
which the picture of a diver was taken oon the coral bank in 20 fathoms.
It looks like about 40 feet. How were the Aqua-Lung bottles charged for
Capricorn?

This letter has the moral support of Rear Admiral E.H. Smith,
Director of W.H.O.I., and Columbus O'D Iselin, Senior Scientist, and I
hope that we may hereafter exchange information occasionally for mutual
benefit - though for the present, at least, W.H.O.I. will make the best
of the bargain.

I am enclosing three underwater photographs - one of which is
printed stereoscopically - which might interest your group. You may keep
these at Scripps, if you like.

Thank you for any comments or suggestions you may have on the
contents of this rather detailed letter. Someday I hope to make such a
discussion more parctical by means of a personal visit on the scene. At
Woods Hole, we feel that our main effort should be devoted towards
photography by means of suspended cameras, but the Aqua-Lung (or
associated equipment) has opened up another field which deserves full
investigation.

Yours truly,
David M. Owen
W.H.O.I.

P.S. The results of your encounters with various forms of wildlife would
also be appreciated. I realize that is another subject altogether,
subject to debate from various corners."

Conrad Limbaugh responds:
" July 4, 1953

Mr. David M. Owen
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Woods Hole, Massachusetts

Dear Mr. Owen:

I wish that we could get together and talk over the various problems
involved in diving and in underwater photography. Progress here is
rather slow and haphazard, but we feel that we are getting good results,
in underwater photography, especially in underwater motion pictures. We
could probably loan you one of our films providing is was used and
returned immediately.

We are experimenting with unicellular neoprene wet suits for cold water
-- so far the results look promising.

We too are working toward developing hand-held strobe lighting for our
cameras and are looking into high speed films and processing.

Our present training methods I feel are inadequate and will be modified
in September when I officially take over the diving program. At that
time I will have a complete set of training rules and will be working on
a training film.

Your water temperatures are not too unlike our own. We sometimes find
water temperatures as low as 45°F in deeper water during summer and our
winter surface temperatures often run between 50 and 55°. Visibility
varies from less than one foot to 60 feet or more.

We have already used the Aqua-Lung in a variety of ocecnographic problems
and plan to exploit it on a much larger scale during the next year.

I have no data concerning the pictures taken on the Capricorn trip, but
we have successfully taken pictures at distances as great as 60 feet.

Our present diving program is simple:

1. A physical examination is necessary (diving physicals and
pressure tests are given by the Navy).

2. General swimming ability is developed until the instructor feels
the student is ready to use the "lung."

3. The student is briefed on air embolism, nitrogen narcosis,
bends, oxygen poisoning, and carbon dioxide build-up. In addition he is
supposed to supplement his briefing with outside reading.

4. Primary training takes place in a pool. He learns (a) uniform
dressing procedures, (b) anti-fogging of mask, (c) use of fins, (d) to
jump 8 to 10 feet fully dressed into the water (a method essential for
fast work in the ocean), (e) to clear his mask underwater, (f) to clear
his mouth piece underwater, (g) to exchange moughpiece underwater, and
(h) to remove lung on surfaceing so that there will be no delay in
entering a boat.

5. Secondary training is in the field. He learns (a) to clear his
ears, (b) to work only with a buddy, and (c) to carry a knife when
working with lines. For special jobs he usually works with a trained,
experienced diver until he has gained experience. For deep diving
decompression procedure is practiced.

In general we have little to worry about in our encounters with sea
animals. Dangerous sharks are rare and shark attacks are even rarer.
Attacks by sea lions are more common, but less dangerous. Moray eel
bites are rare and usually require no more than a stitch. Rarely a
swimmer may get a sting or rash from jelly fish. Sting rays present a
problem on entering and leaving the water nearshore. Probably the most
dangerous organisms are the sharp edged encrusting types, such as
barnacles and worm tubes which will lacerate a water soaked swimmer
caught in a strong surge.

My personal encounters with sea animals have been:

1. Sea lions -- I have never been bitten.
2. Sea elephants -- one playful nip on head, no skin ruptured.
3. Sharks -- one small fellow tried to bite my foot as I was wading
in the Gulf of California at night with a light.
4. Sting rays -- stung once by a baby on the under side of my foot.
5. Scorpion fish -- stung often whild removing fish from spear,
mild poison, no effects in deep water.
6. Rockfish -- same as 5.
7. Other fishes -- stuck by fins often, no harmful results or
infections.
8. Spiny lobsters -- spined often in capturing them -- some people
allergic to spines.
9. Moray eels -- bit twice by small specimens, no real damage but
slight lacerations.
10. Jelly fish -- two stings (like nettle).
11. Gorgonian coral -- specimens next to my skin produced a mild
rash.
12. Octopus -- no danger have only encountered two large specimens
neither of which were aggessive.

Diving is much less dangerous than trying to cross one of our city
streets.

We use the O-ring for all our sealings. We do not pressurize our
cameras and are using plexiglass housings for our cameras.

We are evaluating the Aqua-flex but feel that althouth the machine
work is fine, the poor arrangement of controls and the bulkiness are
inexcusable.

Please write and keep me informed on you latest developments. In
all probability we shall get together within the next year.

Yours truly,
Conrad Limbaugh"

To my knowlege, Dave and Connie never did meet. Conrad died in a cave in
France in 1959. Dave retired in 1980 and is now living in a suburb of
Vancouver, B.C. The diving procedures developed at Scripps evolved into
the American Academy of Underwater Sciences standards used by most
research universities and laboratories in the U. S. today.

I have several more letters, and even a series of accident reports from
Scripps from the mid 1950's.

regards,

Terry Rioux
tri...@whoi.edu

Mike H. Baker

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
My NASDS card is 20+ years old and held together with tape.
Does anybody have an address where I can get replacement plastic.
I missed the first part of the thread.

Mike

Tim <tim...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

}>Malcolm Weir wrote:
}>>
}>> Jean-Pierre Botha wrote:
}>> >
}>> > Before the Americans start thinking they invented scuba diving
:-)...
}>> > does anybody know when BSAC , CMAS etc was formed ?
}>>
}>> While SCUBA was not an American "invention", _Sport Diving_ was!
The
}>> idea of teaching the general public how to dive for fun started in
}>> Southern California...
}>>

}>> NASDS was the first with the idea of teaching people for profit
(as an
}>> agency).
}>>

}>> Malc.
}>>
}>> --
}>> Malcolm Weir
}>> ma...@deltanet.com
}>
}>

Mike H. Baker

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96

Marc Dufour

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96

écrivit le - wrote on Fri, 05 Apr 1996 20:06:19 -0800:

>Jean-Pierre Botha wrote:
>>
>> Before the Americans start thinking they invented scuba diving :-)...
>> does anybody know when BSAC , CMAS etc was formed ?

>While SCUBA was not an American "invention", _Sport Diving_ was! The

Nope, sport diving was also invented in France in the late 1920's by
Commander Yves Leprieur who was teaching SCUBA classes in the 1930's in
Paris, and founded the first ever SCUBA diving club in 1926.

The sceptical will be delighted that I am planning a WWW page on this
very subject, so the Cousteau myth will be once and for all debunked.

---------------- Pour la R_publique Fran_aise du Qu_bec -----------------
The American dream is a nightmare to all those don't experience it.
This .sig is illegal in the states, because it contains a dirty word.
Marc Dufour - [\] ACUC6 31874 - TDI CD-0197 - http://www.accent.net/emdx

J. Middleton

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
The term "SCUBA" may be less than 70 years old, but breathing COMPRESSED
AIR in a container underwater was done well over 100 years ago (may be
longer). The US Naval Undersea Museum (still under constuction) near
Bangor Washington, has a time line of dates that show the progression of
humans underwater. I visited there a while ago and seem to remember a
version of SCUBA from a copper or brass pressurized container before the
civil war. I think they went on to explain that our current concept of
regulators was designed after that model.
Now if I had known that there would be a "discussion" over this I would
have paid more attention to the display. I plan on returning to the
museum, but If there is anybody on the Olympic Penninsula Washington, go
look and E-mail me.
P.S. The museum is free and a great place to off gas after some
incredible diving.

Marc Dufour

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96

Roy Nurmi

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
Mike H. Baker wrote:

> My NASDS card is 20+ years old and held together with tape.
> }>Malcolm Weir wrote:
> }>> While SCUBA was not an American "invention", _Sport Diving_ was!

How do you define 'Sport Diving'?

E.g. both 'Finnish Sportdivers Federation' and my diving club,
'Urheilusukeltajat' (simply 'Sportdivers' for English) were founded
in 1956. I would state, that that was when Sport Diving began here.

We celebrate our 40'th anniversary also on a web page:
<http://www.hut.fi/~rnurmi/oldies.html>
Even though the texts are in Finnish, you may found some of the pics amusing.

--
! Roy Nurmi (rnu...@niksula.hut.fi)
Divers do IT deeper ! ! Servin Kuja 1 D 47

M.Clough

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
Addresses on my card are NASDS 8099 Indiana Ave., Riverside, Ca 92504 and
NASDS Canada, 665 Victoria St., Kamloops, BC V2C 2B3
This was a shock to me as the Canadian address is that of my local dive
store Ocean Pacific Scuba - I had no idea that NASDS Canada was run from
there.
Their training is highly recommended. They seem _very_ dedicated to
teaching one safe diving habits and to having fun - an agreeable
combination.
Myles Clough
Scuba Page http://www.netshop.net/~cloughs/index.html#mylscub

Chuck Hopf

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
to jmi...@u.washington.edu
There is a similar display at the Oceanographic institute in Monaco. Some
early Cousteau equipment is on display as well.

Malcolm Weir

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
Marc Dufour wrote:

> Nope, sport diving was also invented in France in the late 1920's by
> Commander Yves Leprieur who was teaching SCUBA classes in the 1930's
> in Paris, and founded the first ever SCUBA diving club in 1926.
>
> The sceptical will be delighted that I am planning a WWW page on this
> very subject, so the Cousteau myth will be once and for all debunked.

Assuming this is true (and I only say that because in general Usenet is
not a reliable source of anything except noise!), I would have to argue
that one guy in Paris creating a dive club does not _truly_ constitute
"inventing" sport diving *AS WE KNOW IT*!

To illustrate: there are persistent suggestions that the Wright Brothers
were not, in fact, the first people to fly in a powered machine.
However, since the Wright Brother's flight lead directly in a
more-or-less straight line to the aerospace industry as we know it
today, it is reasonable to say that their accomplishment was the cause
of the what happened, and it's not too far a stretch to use the word
"invented" for what they did (regardless of whether the suggestion is
true or not).

In a similar way, PADI, NAUI, LACO, US Divers, Scubapro, Seaquest, DUI,
SAS and probably dozens more are located here in Southern California
because this is where the sport got started. I'll omit the word
"invented", but only in the interests of being literally accurate.
"Morally", I stick by my original statement, notwithstanding Cmdr.
Leprieur's accomplishments.

Tim

Apr 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/20/96
Try the NASDS home page at: http://www.webs.net:80/nasds/

tim

Mike H. Baker wrote:

> My NASDS card is 20+ years old and held together with tape.

> Does anybody have an address where I can get replacement plastic.
> I missed the first part of the thread.
>
> Mike
>
> Tim <tim...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> }>Malcolm Weir wrote:
> }>>

> }>> Jean-Pierre Botha wrote:
> }>> >
> }>> > Before the Americans start thinking they invented scuba diving
> :-)...
> }>> > does anybody know when BSAC , CMAS etc was formed ?
> }>>

> }>> While SCUBA was not an American "invention", _Sport Diving_ was!

> The
> }>> idea of teaching the general public how to dive for fun started in
> }>> Southern California...
> }>>
> }>> NASDS was the first with the idea of teaching people for profit
> (as an
> }>> agency).
> }>>

> }>> Malc.
> }>>
> }>> --
> }>> Malcolm Weir
> }>> ma...@deltanet.com
> }>
> }>

J Shepherd

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96

What dates do you put on it then, Malcolm?

Jason

J Shepherd

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96

Actually Malcolm, dear boy, the more I think of it the more
correct you are. Diving as you know it had not been going on in Europe.
The Americans did not reinvent all the techniques which had been in use
for years, they read the books and figured they could do better and came
up with what became PADI.

Which has little to do with diving as *I* know it, so I suspect
the reciprocal is valid.

Jason

Larry H White

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96
to J Shepherd

Sorry,

PADI is a latecommer to the US SCUBA world. LA County, The "Y", NASDS,
and NAUI were all doing well while PADI was still issuing instructor
cards if you sent in enough letters of recommendation. It has been
roumored that a dog was given PADI instructor certification in the early
70's. PADI seems to have looked at what NASDS was doing (not that it was
necessary good) and found a better way to market it. NASDS seems to have
"invented" the ideas of multiple certification levels and patches for
jackets.

BTW, I do agree that Europe was ahead of the US.

skinny...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2016, 12:13:42 PM8/17/16
On Monday, April 1, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, chickenphish wrote:
> Did you know that the NASDS was the oldest certification agency? Check
> out their web site for more info.....http://www.webs.net/nasds

I thought the YMCA was the first organization to offer formal SCUBA instruction and issue "Certification" cards. I still carry mine in my wallet as it was flat plastic without raised letters and took up less room.

RayC

Aug 18, 2016, 2:09:32 AM8/18/16
Actually LA County was before the YMCA.

--

Ray

---

Kathleen Williams

Jan 10, 2023, 1:27:02 PM1/10/23
On Monday, April 1, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, chickenphish wrote:
> Did you know that the NASDS was the oldest certification agency? Check
> out their web site for more info.....http://www.webs.net/nasds
How do I get a replacement card from when I was certified back in 1977 from NASDS? who do I contact? Paul