Dive Instructors - Open Letter

nospam

Aug 12, 2006, 1:12:59 PM8/12/06
After yet another trip on a charter with a dive instructor present (I
wasn't in his class, nor a customer of his shop, and the charter was
an open charter), I have to make a simple request of all of you
instructors:

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND QUIT TELLING ME HOW TO DIVE!!!! Please.

I didn't ask for your opinion, nor do I want your opinion. I'm not
your student and I probably have more dive experience than you do
(especially after listening to some of your instruction).

I actually had one clown chastise me for having my safety sausage
connected to the right side of my BCD instead of the left. WHO
CARES?!?!

nos...@all.please.net

Aug 12, 2006, 1:44:31 PM8/12/06

That would make a good T-shirt.

Grumman-581

Aug 12, 2006, 2:30:05 PM8/12/06
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 12:44:31 -0500, nos...@all.please.net wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 12:12:59 -0500, nospam wrote:

<snip>

Would it be too much trouble for you 'nospam'ers to come up with a
more unique moniker so that we can more easily know who is who...
Yeah, I know that if I look at the IP addresses, one of you is from
around Crowley, LA and the other is from around Nanuet, NY, but it
sure would be nice if you would create a more unique moniker / name
for yourself... Perhaps a name of "NoSpam-LA-Crowley" and
"NoSpam-NY-Nanuet"?

VK

Aug 12, 2006, 5:05:00 PM8/12/06

Talking about who cares - who really cares on this forum about what you
do? You can go kill yourself for all I care, bub. In fact, if it
spares me having to listen to this drivel, you have my active
encouragement.

V.

Scott

Aug 12, 2006, 5:14:04 PM8/12/06
"VK" <vandit...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Talking about who cares - who really cares on this forum about what you
> do? You can go kill yourself for all I care, bub. In fact, if it
> spares me having to listen to this drivel, you have my active
> encouragement.

Dont sugar coat him Vandit, let him have it straight...

Star

Aug 12, 2006, 11:57:21 PM8/12/06

It would make me happy not to ever talk to you again, but since you've
chosen to remain anonymous I have no clue who not to talk to.

*

VK

Aug 13, 2006, 3:39:37 AM8/13/06

Scott wrote:
> Dont sugar coat him Vandit, let him have it straight...

I think I shouldnt post without taking my medication... I'll lose my
reputation as kind-hearted, polite, newbie-helped :)

Vandit

Dennis (Icarus)

Aug 13, 2006, 4:14:19 AM8/13/06
"nospam" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

You should. Connected to the left side means that you'll be able to
successfully deploy it in an emergency, leading to rescue, a movie deal, and
millions of dollars in speaking fees as you recount your harrowing aquatic
adventure. Connecting it to the right side means that it'll be undeployable,
search boats and planes will miss you, and you'll die, alone, in the ocean.

See the difference?

Dennis

chilly

Aug 13, 2006, 6:11:07 AM8/13/06

"VK" <vandit...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Hullo?? That's not the guy I argued with on rec.scuba, to my detriment . .
.

nor is that the super guy I met in Thailand.

All that aside, unfortunately, last year, in Honduras I found myself diving
with a young dive nazi for one boat dive.

He had all kinds of ideas about how I should conduct myself in the water.
It didn't work out well. Up on land, ever after, all of our mutual friends
kept trying to help things work out . . I don't mean that way . . .
everyone just wanted whatisname and me to "kiss and make up".
aahhhahhhhaaaahhhhaaaa

We both thought life was too short. I'm sure he's still out there directing
dive traffic. Me, I'm still out there, ignoring dive nazi dive masters.

Oh by the way, Vandit, I'm still hanging out with Jenny. Do you remember
her from Koh Tao?? She ended up in Belize.

VK

Aug 13, 2006, 6:26:54 AM8/13/06

chilly wrote:
> Hullo?? That's not the guy I argued with on rec.scuba, to my detriment . .

Hey, I havent gotten into a real flamewar for almost 4 years. Havent
called anyone a fucknozzle for 5 years. That's gotta count for
something!

> All that aside, unfortunately, last year, in Honduras I found myself diving
> with a young dive nazi for one boat dive.

I had one of those in Zanzibar. It was our last day, and we really
wanted to dive these 2 wrecks, one at 130ft, the other at 100ft. The
instructor was kind of cool about it, and said it would be hard for
them to pull it off schedulewise, as the sites were a bit far. Ok,
fine. We went to the 100ft wreck, and it was a major disappointment.
The water was cold, the vis was crap and the wreck was shit, so I
bailed on the second dive.

On the ride back, their DM started going off on me, however - saying
about how I claimed to be an instructor and yet didnt know that it
wasnt possible to do a 130ft and a 100ft dive safely on the same day,
and how I couldnt even do 2 dives on a day so how was I going to do 2
deep dives.

I came really close to throwing him off the boat (my friend says he was
actually ready to physically restrain me). I ended up showing him my
mix card, and telling him that he was a fucking newbie idiot who should
stick to diving in a bathtub. That has been about the only
bad/annoying dive boat experience I've had.

> Oh by the way, Vandit, I'm still hanging out with Jenny. Do you remember
> her from Koh Tao?? She ended up in Belize.

Jenny? I think I vaguely remember her... is that the girl who was
doing her IDC with me? If so, tell her I said hi.

I *do* remember this guy whose mattress you were going to go test.
Whatever became of that? :)

Vandit "never forgets dodgy moments"

chilly

Aug 13, 2006, 7:55:28 AM8/13/06

> chilly wrote:
> > Hullo?? That's not the guy I argued with on rec.scuba, to my detriment
. .

> Hey, I havent gotten into a real flamewar for almost 4 years. Havent
> called anyone a fucknozzle for 5 years. That's gotta count for
> something!
>
> > All that aside, unfortunately, last year, in Honduras I found myself
diving
> > with a young dive nazi for one boat dive.
>
> I had one of those in Zanzibar. It was our last day, and we really
> wanted to dive these 2 wrecks, one at 130ft, the other at 100ft. The
> instructor was kind of cool about it, and said it would be hard for
> them to pull it off schedulewise, as the sites were a bit far. Ok,
> fine. We went to the 100ft wreck, and it was a major disappointment.
> The water was cold, the vis was crap and the wreck was shit, so I
> bailed on the second dive.
>
> On the ride back, their DM started going off on me, however - saying
> about how I claimed to be an instructor and yet didnt know that it
> wasnt possible to do a 130ft and a 100ft dive safely on the same day,
> and how I couldnt even do 2 dives on a day so how was I going to do 2
> deep dives.

LOL . . .the guy I'm talking about was giving me grief over a 50 footer. He
said I was an accident waiting to happen.

In fairness, I didn't have a dive buddy and I wanted to descend to the sand
on my own (which was at 20'), because he was organizing his newbies. I
wanted to descend so that I wouldn't burn my face and hands waiting around
on the surface for 20+ minutes.

But according to him that would have been deadly.

> I came really close to throwing him off the boat (my friend says he was
> actually ready to physically restrain me). I ended up showing him my
> mix card, and telling him that he was a fucking newbie idiot who should
> stick to diving in a bathtub. That has been about the only
> bad/annoying dive boat experience I've had.

Well, you probably don't have quite as an initially abraisive aspect, as I
can have hee hee

> > Oh by the way, Vandit, I'm still hanging out with Jenny. Do you
remember
> > her from Koh Tao?? She ended up in Belize.
>
> Jenny? I think I vaguely remember her... is that the girl who was
> doing her IDC with me? If so, tell her I said hi.

I can't know that for sure, but she's probably hard to forget. White
blonde hair, huge blue eyes, from England, worked at New Way with Dom, all
through her DM and into instructor. Maybe you taught her, I dunno. We've
never actually discussed that. I owe her an email, so I'll ask her if she
knows you.

> I *do* remember this guy whose mattress you were going to go test.
> Whatever became of that? :)

Um, a guy's mattress that *I* was going to test? OK, there was Dave, that
really weird Auzzi, that was missing a few teeth. He introduced me to a
young guy that oddly really wanted to meet me. A beautiful Dutch guy with
black hair and big blue eyes and limited English. I sure wish I could have
got passed that. He was so beautiful. In any event, while I was standing
there trying to talk with beautiful young Dutch guy . . some average
American guy came over and started to chat me up. Claimed he was a dive
instructor, he was nice enough and even eventually, managed to help me find
my place. After all, I'd never tried to find Sunset Buri in the dark, cuz
after all, that was my first night on the island. In any event, he walked
me for a while . . and then we staggered together for a while longer, the we
stopped on the beach and watched the moon for a bit, and I kept brushing him
off me . . and then we walked back towards the bar for a while cuz I thought
I must have passed my place in the dark . . . anyway after an hour or so,
some lovely young French people on motorcylces were good enough to stop and
carry us onto my place. At that point, I tried to gracefully say goodnight
but he said he needed to pee, so of course, after all that, the least I
could do was let the guy take a whiz, right?

So, I was sitting there waiting for him to come out of the bathroom and
eventually he did . . all wet and wearing nothing but a towel. What the
*f*? I said to myself. (apparently, he'd had a whiz *and* taken a shower)
Long story short, he was quite annoying and quite insistent and kept saying
I wanted it . . I said he was wrong about that . . he didn't believe me and
eventually, I just called him crazy, threw all his clothes outside and made
him throw me back my towel, while he was out scrambling for his shorts. Is
that who you meant?

Yeah, he's probably right. I can be a real bitch . . .but who asked him??

Was he a friend of yours??

> Vandit "never forgets dodgy moments"

Ya me too. Remembering the dodgy parts. I'll never forget the look on my
face, um . . well, what I suspect was the look on my face when he came out
of my bathroom wearing nothing but one of my towels.

Lee Bell

Aug 13, 2006, 8:17:16 AM8/13/06
"Star" <lcl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Why? Personally, I understand the sentiment fully, at least I think I do.
I'll bet every one of us, at one time or another, has been on a boat where
somebody, by virtue of the rating on their card, presumed to tell us all
about how we should dive their way. I don't think I've ever told them to
Shut the Fuck Up ? but I'm sure I've been tempted. An open letter here
seems better than a confrontation on a dive boat . . . and he did say
Please.

Telling someone what to do and how here, in rec.scuba, is one thing.
Presuming to do it to a captive audience on a dive boat is entirely
different.

Lee

-hh

Aug 13, 2006, 8:44:25 AM8/13/06

Lee Bell wrote:
> Personally, I understand the sentiment fully, at least I think I do.
> I'll bet every one of us, at one time or another, has been on a boat where
> somebody, by virtue of the rating on their card, presumed to tell us all
> about how we should dive their way. I don't think I've ever told them to
> Shut the Fuck Up ? but I'm sure I've been tempted. An open letter here
> seems better than a confrontation on a dive boat . . . and he did say
> Please.
>
> Telling someone what to do and how here, in rec.scuba, is one thing.
> Presuming to do it to a captive audience on a dive boat is entirely
> different.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/5257704.stm

-hh

Grumman-581

Aug 13, 2006, 12:01:07 PM8/13/06
On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:11:07 GMT, "chilly" <sla...@shaw.canada>
wrote:

> All that aside, unfortunately, last year, in Honduras I found myself diving
> with a young dive nazi for one boat dive.

<snip>

Does that mean that we must now claim Godwin's Law on this thead?
<grin>

Star

Aug 13, 2006, 12:01:57 PM8/13/06

I agree - i was digging at his anonymity.

*

Grumman-581

Aug 13, 2006, 12:08:28 PM8/13/06
On 13 Aug 2006 09:01:57 -0700, "Star" <lcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree - i was digging at his anonymity.

Yeah, if they're going to be anonymous, at least they could have
unique anonymous names...

Paul Foley

Aug 13, 2006, 12:22:36 PM8/13/06

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/5257704.stm

"I do not think someone with 47 dives is an experienced diver."

I have done 15 dives, and I certainly don't think I am one. But how
many dives does it take?

dazed and confuzzed

Aug 13, 2006, 12:43:59 PM8/13/06

A lot of that depends on the person and their habits. If you only do
dives that are simple, never pushing the envelope, and only dive under
the guidance of a divemaster (think Cozumel and cruise ship divers) then
you don't gain much experience at 25 or 50 dives. If, on the other hand,
you learn something on each dive, and push the envelope a bit, you can
gain "experience" a lot more rapidly, making you an "experienced" diver
at 30 or 40 dives.

Dives count, but also the type of dives, and with whom you dive. Much
like marriage in Tennessee, "it's all relative".

--
“TANSTAAFL”

“All I can say is there had better be some cheese at the end of this maze……”

The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

Rod

Aug 13, 2006, 2:40:53 PM8/13/06

Phew, I'm glad I read that, I just went into the bed room and moved
mine to the left side of my BC.

-hh

Aug 13, 2006, 3:01:22 PM8/13/06

According to PADI, or reality?

-hh

James Connell

Aug 13, 2006, 4:38:09 PM8/13/06

As with most cases like this, you confuse 'trained' with qualified.
PADI certifies you as Trained to do these 'advanced' dives NOT as
qualified to do them.

You may get a pilots license but does that give you the experience to do
a cross country trip through mountainous country, in bad weather, at
night, to a small field you've never landed at?

Bob M

Aug 13, 2006, 4:51:07 PM8/13/06

Reminds me of a little incident a few years ago.
A dive buddy of mine decided to update his qualification so attended a
scuba course.
At one point in the course he dissagreed with the woman instructor
The following dialog followed
Instructor "What would you know about it"
Dive Store owner who was standing near by "well he has been diving 20
years and is still alive"

No more needed to be said.

Bob M.

Lee Bell

Aug 13, 2006, 5:11:49 PM8/13/06
Dennis (Icarus) wrote

>> I actually had one clown chastise me for having my safety sausage
>> connected to the right side of my BCD instead of the left. WHO
>> CARES?!?!
>
> You should. Connected to the left side means that you'll be able to
> successfully deploy it in an emergency, leading to rescue, a movie deal,
> and
> millions of dollars in speaking fees as you recount your harrowing aquatic
> adventure. Connecting it to the right side means that it'll be
> undeployable,
> search boats and planes will miss you, and you'll die, alone, in the
> ocean.
>
> See the difference?

What are you talking about? The normal safety sausage clips on somewhere
you can reach it, anywhere you can reach it. When you want to use it, you
unclip it, blow it up and wave it around. Mine either rides in my plate
pocket or, when I know I'll use it a lot (as I did on my spearfishing trip
last week) below my console on the left side waist D ring.

Lee

Popeye

Aug 14, 2006, 12:13:18 AM8/14/06

"Lee Bell" <plee...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Well, Lee, all I can say is that you are damned lucky to be alive.
Or I was joking, harkening back to the days of the DIR discussions, where
any deviation from the One True Path meant you would die screaming in agony.
One of the two. :-)

Dennis via Popeye's computer.

Lee Bell

Aug 14, 2006, 5:39:40 AM8/14/06
Dennis wrote

> Well, Lee, all I can say is that you are damned lucky to be alive.

That goes without saying. 8^)

> Or I was joking, harkening back to the days of the DIR discussions, where
> any deviation from the One True Path meant you would die screaming in
> agony.
> One of the two. :-)

Ahhhh. You did the DIR thing too well, waaaaaaay too well.

Lee

-hh

Aug 14, 2006, 7:00:52 AM8/14/06
James Connell wrote:

> As with most cases like this, you confuse 'trained' with qualified.

I'm not confused at all. What I see is the possibility of Manslaughter
charges being filed against a PADI instructor because he was doing what
his Agency said was OK, because there's a growing backlash within the
industry that is suggesting that they have finally gone too far with
aggressive business practices that compromise safety.

> PADI certifies you as Trained to do these 'advanced' dives NOT as
> qualified to do them.

Not quite. PADI's traditional legal semantics are that the AOW class
is merely training that is "more advanced" than OW.

And the tap dance for their new "Scuba Diver" class (which is half of
OW-I) is that it requires the holder to only do dives with a Pro, but
neglects to put any (Instructor:Student -type) ratio on the practice.

-hh

Popeye

Aug 14, 2006, 12:48:48 PM8/14/06

"-hh" <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote in message

> James Connell wrote:
>>
>> As with most cases like this, you confuse 'trained' with qualified.
>
> I'm not confused at all. What I see is the possibility of Manslaughter
> charges being filed against a PADI instructor because he was doing what
> his Agency said was OK, because there's a growing backlash within the
> industry that is suggesting that they have finally gone too far with
> aggressive business practices that compromise safety.

Growing backlash within the industry?

That's quite a stretch, isn't it?

The only thing the cited article had was a fundamental lack of coherent
information.

I'd sure like to see dude's report.

>> PADI certifies you as Trained to do these 'advanced' dives NOT as
>> qualified to do them.
>
> Not quite. PADI's traditional legal semantics are that the AOW class
> is merely training that is "more advanced" than OW.
>
> And the tap dance for their new "Scuba Diver" class (which is half of
> OW-I) is that it requires the holder to only do dives with a Pro, but
> neglects to put any (Instructor:Student -type) ratio on the practice.

And how many of these divers have died in the last 5 years?

--

Popeye
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -

Popeye

Aug 14, 2006, 1:07:01 PM8/14/06

"Scott" <pugetso...@gmail.com> wrote in message

But Koplin's got the cure for "IIS" (irritating instructor syndrome), it's
called the "dead guy drift".

A barrel of laughs for -any- OW class...

Lee Bell

Aug 14, 2006, 11:04:03 AM8/14/06
Popeye wrote

> Growing backlash within the industry?
> That's quite a stretch, isn't it?

Not at all. It's reality. It's shown up here in numerous threads related
to PADI's marketing and quality assurance. It has shown up in other
countries as laws are enacted to ensure things that the leader in a self
regulated industry should have already done and it's now showing up in
official discussions in the UK, where PADI was originally held to higher
standards just to be allowed to do business. There's no denying that the
backlash is growing.

> The only thing the cited article had was a fundamental lack of coherent
> information.

That's not what I read. I didn't get the impression that it was the
information that was being criticized. What I read was that training was
progressing too quickly, that people without adequate training or experience
were being led to believe that they were advanced divers, even better, by
cards that said they were. Claims that advanced only means more advanced
than the basic course is right up there with Clinton's claim that a blow job
isn't sex.

Lee

Chris Guynn

Aug 14, 2006, 11:54:08 AM8/14/06

> "Star" <lcl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > nospam wrote:
> >> After yet another trip on a charter with a dive instructor present (I
> >> wasn't in his class, nor a customer of his shop, and the charter was
> >> an open charter), I have to make a simple request of all of you
> >> instructors:
> >>
> >> SHUT THE FUCK UP AND QUIT TELLING ME HOW TO DIVE!!!! Please.
> >>
> >> I didn't ask for your opinion, nor do I want your opinion. I'm not
> >> your student and I probably have more dive experience than you do
> >> (especially after listening to some of your instruction).
> >>
> >> I actually had one clown chastise me for having my safety sausage
> >> connected to the right side of my BCD instead of the left. WHO
> >> CARES?!?!
> >
> > It would make me happy not to ever talk to you again, but since you've
> > chosen to remain anonymous I have no clue who not to talk to.
>
> Why? Personally, I understand the sentiment fully, at least I think I do.
> I'll bet every one of us, at one time or another, has been on a boat where
> somebody, by virtue of the rating on their card, presumed to tell us all
> about how we should dive their way.

I haven't. Of course, I've never been diving off a boat...

Chris Guynn

Aug 14, 2006, 11:55:05 AM8/14/06

"Paul Foley" <paulf...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

48

Lee Bell

Aug 14, 2006, 11:56:45 AM8/14/06
Chris Guynn wrote

>> Why? Personally, I understand the sentiment fully, at least I think I
>> do.
>> I'll bet every one of us, at one time or another, has been on a boat
>> where
>> somebody, by virtue of the rating on their card, presumed to tell us all
>> about how we should dive their way.

> I haven't. Of course, I've never been diving off a boat...

Be sure to take the specialty course. 8^)

Lee

Grumman-581

Aug 14, 2006, 12:03:45 PM8/14/06
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:04:03 -0400, "Lee Bell"
<plee...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Claims that advanced only means more advanced
> than the basic course is right up there with Clinton's
> claim that a blow job isn't sex.

It just occurred to me that perhaps Billy Boy was implying that Monica
did it so poorly that it couldn't be considered as 'sex'... Wow, that
puts a whole new light on the issue... <evil-grin>

Chris Guynn

Aug 14, 2006, 12:11:45 PM8/14/06

"Lee Bell" <plee...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Actually, I guess I technically have been diving off a boat before (twice
actually). Both times were trips to Jamaica. I don't really count them
though because the boat only took us about 200 yards off shore and we only
dove to about 45 feet. We had a DM with us, but he was Jamaican and pretty
much didn't care what we did as long as we lived through it.

Greg Mossman

Aug 14, 2006, 12:56:37 PM8/14/06
"Popeye" <pop...@finalprotectivefire.com> wrote in message

> But Koplin's got the cure for "IIS" (irritating instructor syndrome),
> it's called the "dead guy drift".
>
> A barrel of laughs for -any- OW class...

Can't you just put your mask on your forehead these days and watch 'em freak
out?

James Connell

Aug 14, 2006, 1:50:37 PM8/14/06
-hh wrote:
> James Connell wrote:
>> As with most cases like this, you confuse 'trained' with qualified.
>
> I'm not confused at all. What I see is the possibility of Manslaughter
> charges being filed against a PADI instructor because he was doing what
> his Agency said was OK, because there's a growing backlash within the
> industry that is suggesting that they have finally gone too far with
> aggressive business practices that compromise safety.

You need new glasses, the ones you're using are misleading you.
Stick to your bad photography and leave the legal stuff to the shysters.

>> PADI certifies you as Trained to do these 'advanced' dives NOT as
>> qualified to do them.
>
> Not quite. PADI's traditional legal semantics are that the AOW class
> is merely training that is "more advanced" than OW.

and here you make my point.

> And the tap dance for their new "Scuba Diver" class (which is half of
> OW-I) is that it requires the holder to only do dives with a Pro, but
> neglects to put any (Instructor:Student -type) ratio on the practice.

So you need that? don't you think that is up to the 'pro' doing the
leading? It also puts the responsibility of that decision on said 'pro'
not on PADI ;-)

Popeye

Aug 14, 2006, 5:30:03 PM8/14/06

"Greg Mossman" <mos...@qnet.com> wrote in message

"Zip me up! Zip me up!"

Limey

Aug 14, 2006, 2:55:05 PM8/14/06

"James Connell" <jcon...@gci.net> wrote in message

Doesn't it???

Limey

Aug 14, 2006, 3:03:44 PM8/14/06

"Chris Guynn" <chris...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Welcome to Florida diving.

LD.

Lee Bell

Aug 14, 2006, 3:28:46 PM8/14/06
Limey wrote

>> Actually, I guess I technically have been diving off a boat before (twice
>> actually). Both times were trips to Jamaica. I don't really count them
>> though because the boat only took us about 200 yards off shore and we
>> only
>> dove to about 45 feet. We had a DM with us, but he was Jamaican and
>> pretty
>> much didn't care what we did as long as we lived through it.

> Welcome to Florida diving.

Except we occasionally get deeper than 45 feet and a lot further from shore
than 200 yards.

My last dive was about 22 miles from shore. Some during the trip were more
than 70.

Lee

Lee Bell

Aug 14, 2006, 3:30:08 PM8/14/06
>> As with most cases like this, you confuse 'trained' with qualified.
>> PADI certifies you as Trained to do these 'advanced' dives NOT as
>> qualified to do them.

Bullshit. Certified means qualified. It always has . . . until PADI
decided otherwise.

Lee

Lee Bell

Aug 14, 2006, 3:32:28 PM8/14/06
>> But Koplin's got the cure for "IIS" (irritating instructor syndrome),
>> it's called the "dead guy drift".

I like it. I like it a lot.

> Can't you just put your mask on your forehead these days and watch 'em
> freak out?

Unfortunately, that no longer seems to work. Perhaps that part of the
course got dropped as being too tough for some of the sheep . . . I mean
students.

Lee

Lee Bell

Aug 14, 2006, 3:33:23 PM8/14/06
> Actually, I guess I technically have been diving off a boat before (twice
> actually). Both times were trips to Jamaica. I don't really count them
> though because the boat only took us about 200 yards off shore and we only
> dove to about 45 feet. We had a DM with us, but he was Jamaican and
> pretty
> much didn't care what we did as long as we lived through it.

Jamaicans are notorious for their laid back attitudes. It's part of what we
like about them.

Lee

Al Wells

Aug 14, 2006, 5:09:48 PM8/14/06
In article <A94Eg.15652$vj1....@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, pleebell2
@bellsouth.net says...

> My last dive was about 22 miles from shore. Some during the trip were more
> than 70.
So what did you kill?

Popeye

Aug 14, 2006, 8:34:32 PM8/14/06

Popeye
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -
deliberate, contrived, and dishonest - but the myth -
persistent, persuasive, and realistic. - JFK
www.finalprotectivefire.com

"Popeye" <pop...@finalprotectivefire.com> wrote in message news:...

> "Greg Mossman" <mos...@qnet.com> wrote in message
>> "Popeye" <pop...@finalprotectivefire.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> But Koplin's got the cure for "IIS" (irritating instructor syndrome),
>>> it's called the "dead guy drift".
>>>

>>> A barrel of laughs for -any- OW class...
>>

>> Can't you just put your mask on your forehead these days and watch 'em
>> freak out?

Grumman-581

Aug 14, 2006, 7:16:52 PM8/14/06
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:55:05 GMT, "Limey" <david...@noatt.crapnet>
wrote:
> Doesn't it???

Of course it does... Not a single pilot with a freshly minted license
has ever so screwed up that he got stuck in the air... *Every* one of
them have managed to make it back down to earth...

Grumman-581

Aug 14, 2006, 7:18:36 PM8/14/06
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 19:03:44 GMT, "Limey" <david...@noatt.crapnet>
wrote:
> Welcome to Florida diving.

Nawh, in Florida diving, the DM is doing important things... Like
staying aboard and ensuring the container of animal crackers remains
well stocked...

Jerome's Sock Puppet

Aug 14, 2006, 7:21:22 PM8/14/06

Chris Guynn wrote:

> Actually, I guess I technically have been diving off a boat before (twice
> actually). Both times were trips to Jamaica. I don't really count them
> though because the boat only took us about 200 yards off shore and we only
> dove to about 45 feet. We had a DM with us, but he was Jamaican and pretty
> much didn't care what we did as long as we lived through it.

That's not "technically" diving off a boat. That's diving off a boat.

There was a boat. You fell off it. You went diving. You got back on,
not dead or injured.

That's boat diving. You should print yourself up a certificate or
something.

SpringDiver

Aug 14, 2006, 7:51:27 PM8/14/06
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 12:12:59 -0500, nospam <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

>After yet another trip on a charter with a dive instructor present (I
>wasn't in his class, nor a customer of his shop, and the charter was
>an open charter), I have to make a simple request of all of you
>instructors:
>
>SHUT THE FUCK UP AND QUIT TELLING ME HOW TO DIVE!!!! Please.
>
>I didn't ask for your opinion, nor do I want your opinion. I'm not
>your student and I probably have more dive experience than you do
>(especially after listening to some of your instruction).
>
>I actually had one clown chastise me for having my safety sausage
>connected to the right side of my BCD instead of the left. WHO
>CARES?!?!

Hey man, I was only fuckin' wit cha.

Why don't try stickin' it up your as ass and see if it fits.

I’m Tony Montana and I'm a political prisoner here from Cuba and I
want my fucking 'Human Rights' just like President Jimmy Carter says,
okay?..

Scarface 1983

Lee Bell

Aug 14, 2006, 9:28:36 PM8/14/06
Grumman-581 wrote

> Nawh, in Florida diving, the DM is doing important things... Like
> staying aboard and ensuring the container of animal crackers remains
> well stocked...

Glad you reminded me. That's true of most DMs, but not, unfortunatately of
Captain PADI. Remind me to take a tub of them down next time we do the
Grove.

Lee

Lee Bell

Aug 14, 2006, 9:30:14 PM8/14/06
Al Wells wrote

>> My last dive was about 22 miles from shore. Some during the trip were
>> more
>> than 70.
> So what did you kill?

21 lobster, a half dozen large hogfish, a couple red grouper and one quite
large black grouper that took my spear under a rock and refused to give it
back. Damn, I hate killing something I can't eat.

Lee

Rod

Aug 14, 2006, 10:10:46 PM8/14/06

Ahhh the ol resort dive, did you notice how much attentino the DM paid
to any woman on the dive ?

Scott

Aug 14, 2006, 10:18:19 PM8/14/06

"Popeye" <pop...@finalprotectivefire.com> wrote in message

> "Scott" <pugetso...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > "VK" <vandit...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> Talking about who cares - who really cares on this forum about what you
> >> do? You can go kill yourself for all I care, bub. In fact, if it
> >> spares me having to listen to this drivel, you have my active
> >> encouragement.
> >
> > Dont sugar coat him Vandit, let him have it straight...
>
> But Koplin's got the cure for "IIS" (irritating instructor syndrome),
it's
> called the "dead guy drift".
>
> A barrel of laughs for -any- OW class...

SSSSShhhhhhhhh!

They may still be looking for me...

Al Wells

Aug 14, 2006, 10:15:49 PM8/14/06
In article <ss9Eg.15020$0k4....@bignews1.bellsouth.net>, pleebell2
@bellsouth.net says...

> 21 lobster, a half dozen large hogfish, a couple red grouper and one quite
> large black grouper that took my spear under a rock and refused to give it
> back. Damn, I hate killing something I can't eat.

Some damned fine eatin'. Sounds like you had a good time.

Rod

Aug 14, 2006, 10:17:02 PM8/14/06

No, it means passed a test

VK

Aug 15, 2006, 1:53:27 AM8/15/06

Greg Mossman wrote:
> Can't you just put your mask on your forehead these days and watch 'em freak
> out?

Freaks ME out for sure. Getting spare masks is hard enough in our neck
of the woods, without some careless putz losing his b/c he had it on
his forehead.

If it is their own gear, they can put their BCD on their forehead for
all I care.

Vandit

Dennis (Icarus)

Aug 14, 2006, 11:49:03 PM8/14/06
> Dennis wrote
>
> > Well, Lee, all I can say is that you are damned lucky to be alive.
>
> That goes without saying. 8^)
>
> > Or I was joking, harkening back to the days of the DIR discussions,
where
> > any deviation from the One True Path meant you would die screaming in
> > agony.
> > One of the two. :-)
>
> Ahhhh. You did the DIR thing too well, waaaaaaay too well.

Thank you. Next time though I'll add an emoticon or two

Dennis

-hh

Aug 15, 2006, 7:32:42 AM8/15/06
James Connell wrote:

> You need new glasses, the ones you're using are misleading you.
> Stick to your bad photography and leave the legal stuff to the shysters.

Monday's hangover make you grumpy, Sunshine? :-)

> >> PADI certifies you as Trained to do these 'advanced' dives NOT as
> >> qualified to do them.
> >
> > Not quite. PADI's traditional legal semantics are that the AOW class
> > is merely training that is "more advanced" than OW.
>
> and here you make my point.

I don't dispute that there's a difference between training and being
qualified. The problem is that when you go ask your generic,
non-rec.scuba reading Joe Sixpack diver what his diving qualifications
are, 80% of the time, he will parrot his 'Qualifiations' as whatever
his PADI Card happens to say...

...and AOW invariably gets shortened to "Advanced".

That's the 'industry practice' on the consumer's side. Do recall that
PADI is good at is marketing, and regardless of the sport, no one likes
to admit that they're a beginner.

Also do recall how AOW got its start: Advanced used to specifically
mean the NAUI Advanced class which was *after* Rescue Diver. However,
when PADI chose to name their version of OW-II class as AOW, it caused
quite a stir. In the end - - after events such as the 1992 "Ask the
Agencies" session at BTS (where this issue of what "PADI Advanced"
means came up), there was amazingly strong grass roots anger with
PADI's choice of the word "Advanced": words from the audience included
things like "deceptive", "unsafe", etc. - - PADI's "800lb Gorilla"
marketing persevered and created customer confusion which forced their
minority market share competitors such as NAUI to rename their training
classes. In today's terms, we would probably consider it to be close
to an "Illegal use of Monopoly Power". FYI, the old NAUI Advanced
became known as Master Diver.

This is all a very well known "Emperor has no clothes" situation.

Other examples include how OW-I divers routinely ignore their supposed
60fsw depth limit, often from literally Day 1 after getting their
Certification, and also how some (many?) Instructors are often more
conservative than PADI's standards for the Instructor:Student ratio on
a Resort Course ("Discover Diving"). Recall also how PADI claimed on a
stack of Bibles that Nitrox was Evil incarnate...until they realized
that there was money to be made. Ditto minimum age. Ditto for their
eight-month delay in recalling a defective and hazardous batch of RDP
tables back in 2002/2003. All of this functionally negates their
assertion that they rule the dive industry because of "superior quality
control"; they rule because of highly aggressive marketing.

Thus said, there's a lot of very good PADI Instructors out there - -
the problem is that they exist *despite* the organizational corporate
structure/culture, not *because* of it.

> > And the tap dance for their new "Scuba Diver" class (which is half of
> > OW-I) is that it requires the holder to only do dives with a Pro, but
> > neglects to put any (Instructor:Student -type) ratio on the practice.
>
> So you need that? don't you think that is up to the 'pro' doing the
> leading? It also puts the responsibility of that decision on said 'pro'
> not on PADI ;-)

Exactly! In the absence of any published Agency recommendation, the
guidance is "sorry, you're on your own" when anything bad happens: the
Pro has no "higher authority" to cite for his legal defense. The
result is that PADI neatly dodges any legal liability, which ultimately
means that they have left their Pro & his diveshop hung out to dry:

Consumer loses (gets hurt)
Pro loses (is sued)
Dive Op loses (is also sued)

PADI walks away untouched.

IMO, any PADI Pro with anything to lose (ie, all part-time instructors
and all dive ops) would be wise to not touch anything to deal with the
PADI "Scuba Diver" Training with a 10ft pole, for their own Agency has
left them dangling, holding the bag for virtually all of the liability.

-hh

Lee Bell

Aug 15, 2006, 7:41:15 AM8/15/06
Rod wrote

>>Bullshit. Certified means qualified. It always has . . . until PADI
>>decided otherwise.

> No, it means passed a test

Bullshit. A scale is certified to be accurate. A gauge is certified to be
accurate. A Certified Public Accountant is certified to act consistently
with the rules of the position. A Certified Audit is certified to be
correct within the standards of the industry.

. . . and a certified diver only means he passed a test . . . according to
PADI.

Lee

Limey

Aug 15, 2006, 8:07:01 AM8/15/06

"Lee Bell" <plee...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
Excellent. Glad to hear you had another freezer fillin' trip.

LD.

Limey

Aug 15, 2006, 8:08:05 AM8/15/06

"Grumman-581" <grumm...@DIE-SPAMMER-SCUM-gmail.com> wrote in message

......where they *should* be! ;)

LD.

Limey

Aug 15, 2006, 8:10:29 AM8/15/06

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:55:05 GMT, "Limey" <david...@noatt.crapnet>
> wrote:

> You may get a pilots license but does that give you the experience to do a
> cross country trip through mountainous country, in bad weather, at night,
> to a small field you've never landed at?

>> Doesn't it???

> Of course it does... Not a single pilot with a freshly minted license
> has ever so screwed up that he got stuck in the air... *Every* one of
> them have managed to make it back down to earth...

My point, yer honor.

LD.

Limey

Aug 15, 2006, 8:11:05 AM8/15/06

"Jerome's Sock Puppet" <jerome...@gmail.com> wrote in message
That Has to be worth a patch.

LD.

Lee Bell

Aug 15, 2006, 9:03:20 AM8/15/06
Al Wells wrote

> Some damned fine eatin'. Sounds like you had a good time.

Having a good time is sort of a religion with me, but this trip pushed the
concept.

I don't know if it was something I ate or the cold I've been trying not to
get for about a month, but I was not feeling 100% at the start of the trip.
Seas were a bit rough and I didn't sleep well on the trip out. The morning
briefing was a bit long for a group that had been diving from the same boat
for quite a few years, but was OK until the backup captain took the motors
out of gear and let the boat drift in 4-6 foot seas. When the boat started
compound rocking, I didn't last long before rushing to the rail. I'm very
fortunate in being one who, once sick, is over it until the next time.
While I didn't keep much food down the first day, it wasn't a big deal. I
watched my hydration and did all the dives that day without much trouble.
Just before lunch, I noticed that everyone else was wearing a patch. I
swallowed my pride (almost the only thing a swallowed that day) and borrowed
one.

The second day wasn't perfect, but it was better. I ate carefully and kept
everything down. Unfortunately, another problem came up. Whatever I put in
one end, soon came out the other end. It may have been part of what made me
feel poorly in the first place or a reaction to the patch. Either way, I
managed to time things to prevent problems, but after coming close to an
accident during one dive, I exchanged my dive skin for shorts and a T shirt
for the last two dives of the day . . . just in case. I took a couple of
Imodium tablets and, by the third day, I was fine.

One diver, that was new to the trip, had it much worse. He did the first
couple of dives and spent the rest of the day in bed. He wasn't 100% the
next day, but he was able to do all the dives. Some others were
uncomfortable now and then too.

We did very well on lobster, but not nearly as well as we usually do on
fish. Overall the trip was a success and, despite the problems, I had a
good time.

I'll do it again, but will revisit the idea of freeshafting between now and
then. If there had been a line on the shaft when I shot that black grouper,
I probably would not have lost him or the shaft. I may look into a Riffe
which I believe shoots almost as fast with a line as my Biller does without
one. There was only one time during the entire trip where a quick reload
might have been important and, in that one case, my buddy was ready for the
shot I would have had to rush, even freeshafting, to make.

Lee

Chris Guynn

Aug 15, 2006, 9:49:49 AM8/15/06

"Rod" <log...@verizon.net> wrote in message

2 women. One had to be escorted back to the boat because she couldn't
equalize and the other was my wife who was seriously underweighted. The DM
happened to be carrying some extra weights and *finally* got through to the
DM what the problem was (I'm not sure how he could not have picked up on it
as quickly as I did) and he gave her some extra weight that brought her to
marginally underweighted. The captain of the snorkeling boat we took on our
second trip to Jamaica was considerably happier though as we were on the
clothing optional snorkel trip and my wife exercised her option. :-)

After our first dive on our first trip to Jamaica our instructor cornered
the two of us and offered to certify us (this was pre-certification). We
asked how much. He said $350 each. We said no thanks. I took a scuba
class in college prior to the trip so I already understood all of the basics
and we're both "water people". We both had the basics down after our
"resort course training" (with me supplying a little extra instruction
advise to my wife. It was obvious that we were the most competent divers in
the class (not that that's saying a lot) and i figure he was hoping to be
able to make a quick $700. Luckily for us we couldn't really afford the
$700 at the time and my best friend had been telling me before we left about
how he had gotten certified back home for less than half that. We got
certified the next spring (at home).

Grumman-581

Aug 15, 2006, 12:16:34 PM8/15/06
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:08:05 GMT, "Limey" <david...@noatt.crapnet>
wrote:

> ......where they *should* be! ;)

Agreed... My expectations are that they provide me transportation to
the dive site, they are still around after the dive, and they provide
me transportation back to where I started... Inherent in this
description is that the boat does not sink... Not stealing any of the
stuff from my dive bag or tossing it overboard while I'm diving is
also nice...

Popeye

Aug 15, 2006, 7:26:51 PM8/15/06

> James Connell wrote:

> This is all a very well known "Emperor has no clothes" situation.
>
> Other examples include how OW-I divers routinely ignore their supposed
> 60fsw depth limit, often from literally Day 1 after getting their
> Certification,

Not a PADI issue, nor confined to PADI divers.

>and also how some (many?) Instructors are often more
> conservative than PADI's standards for the Instructor:Student ratio on
> a Resort Course ("Discover Diving").

Which, while anecdotal, has led to how many deaths?

How long has "Discover Diving" been in place now?

>Recall also how PADI claimed on a
> stack of Bibles that Nitrox was Evil incarnate...until they realized
> that there was money to be made.

Like everyone else, including DEMA.

>Ditto minimum age.

WRSTC.

> Ditto for their
> eight-month delay in recalling a defective and hazardous batch of RDP
> tables back in 2002/2003.

No answer for that one, but I never heard of it.

Certainly not an industry first, however, just ask Reeeeeeeeef. :-)

>> So you need that? don't you think that is up to the 'pro' doing the
>> leading? It also puts the responsibility of that decision on said 'pro'
>> not on PADI ;-)
>
> Exactly! In the absence of any published Agency recommendation, the
> guidance is "sorry, you're on your own" when anything bad happens: the
> Pro has no "higher authority" to cite for his legal defense. The
> result is that PADI neatly dodges any legal liability, which ultimately
> means that they have left their Pro & his diveshop hung out to dry:
>
> Consumer loses (gets hurt)
> Pro loses (is sued)
> Dive Op loses (is also sued)
>
> PADI walks away untouched.

Cite, please.

If this was any kind of trend, there must be figures available.

I know scores of PADI instructors, and have never heard of one getting
sued.

Dillon Pyron

Aug 15, 2006, 5:05:11 PM8/15/06
Thus spake nospam <nos...@nospam.com> :

>After yet another trip on a charter with a dive instructor present (I
>wasn't in his class, nor a customer of his shop, and the charter was
>an open charter), I have to make a simple request of all of you
>instructors:
>
>SHUT THE FUCK UP AND QUIT TELLING ME HOW TO DIVE!!!! Please.
>
>I didn't ask for your opinion, nor do I want your opinion. I'm not
>your student and I probably have more dive experience than you do
>(especially after listening to some of your instruction).
>
>I actually had one clown chastise me for having my safety sausage
>connected to the right side of my BCD instead of the left. WHO
>CARES?!?!

What's equally bad is when someone finds out I'm an instructor and
decides I'd make a good buddy for them. When I'm shooting pictures,
I'm a crap buddy. And I'm damn sure not his buddy. I like diving
with Carol, it's fun and pleasant. I like diving solo, it's fun and
pleasant. What I don't want to do is be a nursemaid for some noob who
thinks I'm a god because I'm an instructor. Instead, I'm just a much
more experienced fuck up and if you do what I do without that
experience, I will most likely not notice when you need my help.

BTW, the saftey sausage does go on the left side. Even an idiot knows
that much :-)
--
dillon

How much power does it take to run a server farm?
A googlewatt.

Dillon Pyron

Aug 15, 2006, 5:11:51 PM8/15/06
Thus spake "-hh" <recscub...@huntzinger.com> :

>James Connell wrote:

>> As with most cases like this, you confuse 'trained' with qualified.
>

>I'm not confused at all. What I see is the possibility of Manslaughter
>charges being filed against a PADI instructor because he was doing what
>his Agency said was OK, because there's a growing backlash within the
>industry that is suggesting that they have finally gone too far with
>aggressive business practices that compromise safety.

The Undersea Journal has become the house rag for shops and resorts,
with the occasional tidbit for instructors/DMs. I find it ironic that
the glowing obit that they published for Ralph neglected the fact that
he had as little to do with PADI outside of teaching IDCs as he could.
He and Cronin were at odds for years over the direction PADI had
taken. Ralph taught two styles of IDC. There was the "by the book".
But he also taught "if you care to listen".

>> PADI certifies you as Trained to do these 'advanced' dives NOT as
>> qualified to do them.
>
>Not quite. PADI's traditional legal semantics are that the AOW class
>is merely training that is "more advanced" than OW.
>

>And the tap dance for their new "Scuba Diver" class (which is half of
>OW-I) is that it requires the holder to only do dives with a Pro, but
>neglects to put any (Instructor:Student -type) ratio on the practice.

I don't teach Scuba Diver. And since I was sued, I don't teach OW,
either.

>-hh

Dillon Pyron

Aug 15, 2006, 5:15:16 PM8/15/06
Thus spake Grumman-581 <grumm...@DIE-SPAMMER-SCUM-gmail.com> :

I've always heard this about skydiving and scuba diving, but I guess
it also applies to flying.

It's all fun until you unexpectedly run out of air.

Chris Guynn

Aug 15, 2006, 5:15:02 PM8/15/06

"Popeye" <pop...@finalprotectivefire.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> I know scores of PADI instructors, and have never heard of one getting
> sued.

That's because all of their victims are dead and PADI is part of a vast
conspiracy to cover it all up (which is why you don't hear all of the
reports). :-)

Dillon Pyron

Aug 15, 2006, 5:20:28 PM8/15/06
Thus spake Grumman-581 <grumm...@DIE-SPAMMER-SCUM-gmail.com> :

Go do a dive with Dive Makai. They peel the oranges for you. Now
that's service. The coffee is hot first thing in the morning and the
muffins are never more than about 30 minutes out of the oven.

Oh yeah, and they really know their fish.

Grumman-581

Aug 15, 2006, 5:23:58 PM8/15/06
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:05:11 -0500, Dillon Pyron
<dmpyron...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> BTW, the saftey sausage does go on the left side. Even an idiot knows
> that much :-)

Surely it goes on the opposite leg of your big manly dive knife,
doesn't it?

Popeye

Aug 15, 2006, 8:50:08 PM8/15/06

"Dillon Pyron" <dmpyron...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Thus spake "-hh" <recscub...@huntzinger.com> :

> I don't teach Scuba Diver. And since I was sued, I don't teach OW,
> either.

I stand corrected.

Apparently I do know a PADI instructor that was sued.

What happened?

Popeye

Aug 15, 2006, 8:51:01 PM8/15/06

"Chris Guynn" <chris...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It's not PADI's fault if they dive with the SS on the wrong side.

Popeye

Aug 15, 2006, 8:52:41 PM8/15/06

> Thus spake Grumman-581 <grumm...@DIE-SPAMMER-SCUM-gmail.com> :
>
>>On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:55:05 GMT, "Limey" <david...@noatt.crapnet>
>>wrote:
>>> Doesn't it???
>>
>>Of course it does... Not a single pilot with a freshly minted license
>>has ever so screwed up that he got stuck in the air... *Every* one of
>>them have managed to make it back down to earth...
>
> I've always heard this about skydiving and scuba diving, but I guess
> it also applies to flying.
>
> It's all fun until you unexpectedly run out of air.

I don't know if it wasn't Miller or Seinfeld that said they weren't
partaking in any sport where the main objective was to stay alive...

-hh

Aug 15, 2006, 6:37:03 PM8/15/06
Popeye wrote:

> "-hh" wrote:
>
> > This is all a very well known "Emperor has no clothes" situation.
> >
> > Other examples include how OW-I divers routinely ignore their supposed
> > 60fsw depth limit, often from literally Day 1 after getting their
> > Certification,
>
> Not a PADI issue, nor confined to PADI divers.

Not confined to just PADI, but as the Industry Leader, they contribute.

> >and also how some (many?) Instructors are often more
> > conservative than PADI's standards for the Instructor:Student ratio on
> > a Resort Course ("Discover Diving").
>
> Which, while anecdotal, has led to how many deaths?

There have been deaths all over the place during Instructor:Student
dives. I could go look through DAN's annual reports, but as we know,
they specifically exclude DM's and Instructors who are killed while
conducting training, so it will only statistically capture the student
victims. Locally, I can recall a student who died at Shark River Inlet
and nearly killed their Instructor (revived) and DM too.

> How long has "Discover Diving" been in place now?

Long enough. The reports aren't generally well distributed, since it
hurts the tourism. For example, here's a tourist who died on a guided
snorkeling trip a mere 3 weeks ago in the Caymans:

http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=1015132

BTW, DCS injuries are common enough in the Caymans such that they're
installing a second chamber this year.

> > Ditto for their
> > eight-month delay in recalling a defective and hazardous batch of RDP
> > tables back in 2002/2003.
>
> No answer for that one, but I never heard of it.

Defective product (due to misprint) distributed Jan/Feb 2002. Internal
PADI Memo for a silent recall June 2002. Public announcement to recall
them finally occured in Feb 2003, after their internal memo was
apparently leaked to the Consumer Protection Board and others.

> Certainly not an industry first, however, just ask Reeeeeeeeef. :-)

And that's the problem. Greed before safety, while we're being
preached at to be "Responsible Divers". Fucking hypocrites. What they
deserve is for a 12ga to be rammed up their ass and dischraged with 5
rounds of Trap Heavy Loads.

> I know scores of PADI instructors, and have never heard of one getting
> sued.

Personally, I don't associate with the types that are predisposed to
getting sued. But I do know one Instructor who got bent on the job who
sued their employer (and won); should that count?

-hh

Greg Mossman

Aug 15, 2006, 3:25:28 PM8/15/06
> Grumman-581 wrote

>> Nawh, in Florida diving, the DM is doing important things... Like
>> staying aboard and ensuring the container of animal crackers remains
>> well stocked...
>
> Glad you reminded me. That's true of most DMs, but not, unfortunatately
> of Captain PADI. Remind me to take a tub of them down next time we do the
> Grove.

Take a cooler of beer too. That was an awfully long boat ride back sober.

Limey

Aug 16, 2006, 6:36:37 AM8/16/06

"Grumman-581" <grumm...@DIE-SPAMMER-SCUM-gmail.com> wrote in message

Coffee! You forgot coffee!
Actually, I think the coffee should be replaced by water-melon for us
wwwussies. I've never seen a cup of coffee on a dive boat, EVER.

LD.

Limey

Aug 16, 2006, 6:37:07 AM8/16/06

"Greg Mossman" <mos...@qnet.com> wrote in message
Damned good idea.

Al Wells

Aug 16, 2006, 7:34:38 AM8/16/06

Lee Bell wrote:

> I don't know if it was something I ate or the cold I've been trying not to
> get for about a month, but I was not feeling 100% at the start of the trip.
> Seas were a bit rough and I didn't sleep well on the trip out. The morning
> briefing was a bit long for a group that had been diving from the same boat
> for quite a few years, but was OK until the backup captain took the motors
> out of gear and let the boat drift in 4-6 foot seas. When the boat started
> compound rocking, I didn't last long before rushing to the rail. I'm very
> fortunate in being one who, once sick, is over it until the next time.
> While I didn't keep much food down the first day, it wasn't a big deal. I
> watched my hydration and did all the dives that day without much trouble.
> Just before lunch, I noticed that everyone else was wearing a patch. I
> swallowed my pride (almost the only thing a swallowed that day) and borrowed
> one.

you SoFL guys are spoiled - long boat rides in sometimes rough seas are
the norm in other places, like NC and SC. I usually don't get sick, but
it happens every now and then, especially when drifting after a long
run in 4-5 ft seas. I've never been sick when taking Bonine the night
before. Cindy uses the patch if we have more than a 10 minute run.

> We did very well on lobster, but not nearly as well as we usually do on
> fish. Overall the trip was a success and, despite the problems, I had a
> good time.

how big is what you call a "large" hogfish?

> I'll do it again, but will revisit the idea of freeshafting between now and
> then. If there had been a line on the shaft when I shot that black grouper,
> I probably would not have lost him or the shaft. I may look into a Riffe
> which I believe shoots almost as fast with a line as my Biller does without
> one. There was only one time during the entire trip where a quick reload
> might have been important and, in that one case, my buddy was ready for the
> shot I would have had to rush, even freeshafting, to make.

for shooting with a line, the Riffe is really quiet and fast because
you don't have the ring slamming like you do with other guns. I can
wrap it pretty fast too. I'm going to SC in a few weeks and hope to
play with a Rhino gun for a bit. The guys there feeshaft them, but I
want to try it both ways.

Even getting seasick, it beats working

al

Lee Bell

Aug 16, 2006, 8:02:31 AM8/16/06
> I don't teach Scuba Diver. And since I was sued, I don't teach OW,
> either.

I wish I'd seen this before I responded to another post. It answers several
questions I asked in that response.

Lee

Lee Bell

Aug 16, 2006, 8:08:39 AM8/16/06
Popeye wrote

>> Other examples include how OW-I divers routinely ignore their supposed
>> 60fsw depth limit, often from literally Day 1 after getting their
>> Certification,

> Not a PADI issue . . .

It is if the operation that takes them for the ride is affiliated with PADI.
You know as well as anyone that PADI's standards extend to their dive
operators.

Lee

Lee Bell

Aug 16, 2006, 8:23:42 AM8/16/06
Grumman-581 wrote

>> BTW, the saftey sausage does go on the left side. Even an idiot knows
>> that much :-)

> Surely it goes on the opposite leg of your big manly dive knife,
> doesn't it?

No. It goes on the same side, helping to offset the trim issues raised by
the "Mike Nelson" sized knife.

Lee

Lee Bell

Aug 16, 2006, 8:29:14 AM8/16/06
Dillon Pyron wrote

> It's all fun until you unexpectedly run out of air.

Hell, I ran out of air on a dive last week, but there was nothing unexpected
about it.

Lee

Chris Guynn

Aug 16, 2006, 9:28:51 AM8/16/06

"Popeye" <pop...@finalprotectivefire.com> wrote in message

It is if PADI tells them to. I wouldn't know since I've never taken a
course from the death dealers. ;-)

Grumman-581

Aug 16, 2006, 11:15:29 AM8/16/06
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:23:42 -0400, "Lee Bell"
<plee...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> No. It goes on the same side, helping to offset the trim issues raised by
> the "Mike Nelson" sized knife.

Obviously a knife like this, right?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90714

At least when you lose it, you won't feel so bad from a cost
standpoint... <grin>

Popeye

Aug 16, 2006, 2:16:09 PM8/16/06

"Lee Bell" <plee...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

I don't see how or why.

It's the individual diver's responsibility once he gets certified.

There's no PADI police, and you wouldn't stand for them.

Lee Bell

Aug 16, 2006, 11:39:54 AM8/16/06
Popeye wrote

> There's no PADI police, and you wouldn't stand for them.

I don't hold a single PADI card. Why would I stand for PADI police.

Lee

Lee Bell

Aug 16, 2006, 11:41:41 AM8/16/06
Grumman-581 wrote

Close, but not quite. The butt needs to be at least an inch thick and
shaped like the head of a hammer.

> At least when you lose it, you won't feel so bad from a cost
> standpoint... <grin>

You might find the cost of a real "Mike Nelson" sized knife to be more than
you think.

Lee

Dillon Pyron

Aug 16, 2006, 4:02:38 PM8/16/06
Thus spake Grumman-581 <grumm...@DIE-SPAMMER-SCUM-gmail.com> :

I'll bet that lights up more than a few metal detectors. All at once.

Popeye

Aug 16, 2006, 6:00:26 PM8/16/06

"Grumman-581" <grumm...@DIE-SPAMMER-SCUM-gmail.com> wrote in message

http://www.finalprotectivefire.com/fredpix/POPEYE_big.jpg

Grumman-581

Aug 16, 2006, 6:28:06 PM8/16/06
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:00:26 -0700, "Popeye"
<pop...@finalprotectivefire.com> wrote:
> http://www.finalprotectivefire.com/fredpix/POPEYE_big.jpg

Is there supposed to be a knife in that photo? I'm not seeing it for
some reason...

Okidiver

Aug 16, 2006, 9:15:51 PM8/16/06
I've logged 1156 and I'm still having fun and learning (proof: first-ever
dive in a drysuit on Monday--whoo hooo!)

Experienced? Not in a drysuit... Still vigilant? You bet.

--
Rapid Rick
"Just Dive, Baby"

> I have done 15 dives, and I certainly don't think I am one. But how many
> dives does it take?

Popeye

Aug 16, 2006, 11:10:19 PM8/16/06

www.finalprotectivefire.com

Both views.

It's a stainless Buckmaster.

Popeye

Aug 16, 2006, 11:11:05 PM8/16/06

"Okidiver" <okid...@earthllink.net> wrote in message

> I've logged 1156 and I'm still having fun and learning (proof: first-ever
> dive in a drysuit on Monday--whoo hooo!)
>
> Experienced? Not in a drysuit... Still vigilant? You bet.

Great post.

JOF

Aug 16, 2006, 11:17:58 PM8/16/06

Limey wrote:

> > Actually, I guess I technically have been diving off a boat before (twice
> > actually). Both times were trips to Jamaica. I don't really count them
> > though because the boat only took us about 200 yards off shore and we only
> > dove to about 45 feet. We had a DM with us, but he was Jamaican and
> > pretty
> > much didn't care what we did as long as we lived through it.
> >

> Welcome to Florida diving.

Where did you find a Florida dm who actually went in the water with
you? I'm not even sure there was ever a qualified dive master on any
Florida boat I've dived from.

JF

JOF

Aug 16, 2006, 11:21:18 PM8/16/06

Lee Bell wrote:
> > Actually, I guess I technically have been diving off a boat before (twice
> > actually). Both times were trips to Jamaica. I don't really count them
> > though because the boat only took us about 200 yards off shore and we only
> > dove to about 45 feet. We had a DM with us, but he was Jamaican and
> > pretty
> > much didn't care what we did as long as we lived through it.
>
> Jamaicans are notorious for their laid back attitudes. It's part of what we
> like about them.

I thought it was the rum.

JF

Greg Mossman

Aug 16, 2006, 12:32:27 PM8/16/06
"Limey" <david...@noatt.crapnet> wrote in message

Heck, I'd settle for cold water. Capt. PADI couldn't even get that right,
having forgotten to refill the cooler before the boat went out on the
afternoon dives.

I was surprised at the difference after partaking of Splashdown's
munificence the day prior. We didn't have breakfast before we left the
hotel, so Janna went to buy a pack of muffins at the shop. Lynn told her
they were comped as "boat snacks". Sure enough, they had an assortment of
muffins and cookies and other stuff on the boat, along with an ice chest
full of a huge assortment of sodas and bottled water and even expensive
energy drinks, and a lunch spread when we returned. BTW, those energy
drinks are a great replacement for coffee on a hot Florida sunshiny day.
All that energy drink I peed over the Boynton reef system will surely thwart
the encroaching sewage flow.

Greg Mossman

Aug 16, 2006, 12:40:10 PM8/16/06
"Al Wells" <al.w...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> you SoFL guys are spoiled - long boat rides in sometimes rough seas are
> the norm in other places, like NC and SC. I usually don't get sick, but
> it happens every now and then, especially when drifting after a long
> run in 4-5 ft seas. I've never been sick when taking Bonine the night
> before. Cindy uses the patch if we have more than a 10 minute run.

You eastern guys are spoiled. 4-5 ft seas are average for the runs out to
the channel islands here, 6-8' seas and more are common on the way to the
outer islands. 10 minutes? Our closest islands are a couple hours. The
outer islands are 5-6 hours.

> how big is what you call a "large" hogfish?

I only saw one on our last trip, out of 4 dives on the Boynton reefs. I'll
bet he's dead now.

It is loading more messages.