Boot rot cured

El Stroko Guapo

Jun 10, 2009, 10:57:30 AM6/10/09
About four years ago, I bought a pair of steel 100s with a bad case of
boot rot. I treated them, and all my steels, as follows and all are very
clean. (btw, I never rinse my tanks. Yeah, I know.)

1. With a wire wheel, remove as much rust as you can. Wipe thoroughly
with lacquer thinner.

2. Spray on three or four thin coats of Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing
Compound. Dry well between coats.

3. Smear the boot line with white lithium grease. Replace boots. The
lithium will stay on for 40 - 50 dives, then regrease. No more rust.

esg

Greg Mossman

Jun 10, 2009, 7:28:52 PM6/10/09

And here I thought you were offering a good solution for stinky
booties. Maybe I could smear my feet with the white lithium grease?
I'm leery about spraying the Rustoleum on them and that wire wheel
hurts!

Chris Guynn

Jun 11, 2009, 11:54:22 AM6/11/09

Do you have a lot of rust on your feet? If not, I'm guessing you could just
skip the wire wheel part since the point of that is to remove the existing
rust.

El Stroko Guapo

Jun 11, 2009, 12:02:47 PM6/11/09
And the white grease will preevent rust. Be sure to pay extra attention
to the gap between yer toes.

esg

Greg Mossman

Jun 11, 2009, 2:56:34 PM6/11/09

I thought we were talking about rot, not rust. You should see the
damage the wire wheel did after I tried to remove a bit of crotch rot!

Curtis

Jun 11, 2009, 6:12:40 PM6/11/09
> Greg Mossman wrote:

But the group is dead.

Guess he's into necrophilia.

dechucka

Jun 11, 2009, 6:20:02 PM6/11/09

"Curtis" <cavey_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Greg Mossman wrote:
>
> But the group is dead.
>
> Guess he's into necrophilia.

Strangely the number of diving related posts has increased since Mossman's
comments

Chris Guynn

Jun 12, 2009, 9:55:28 AM6/12/09

Thanks, but I think I'll pass.

Curtis

Jun 12, 2009, 10:27:04 AM6/12/09
vo...@hotmail.com wrote

>>> Greg Mossman wrote:
>>
>> But the group is dead.
>>
>> Guess he's into necrophilia.
>
> Strangely the number of diving related posts has increased since Mossman's
> comments

Really? Haven't noticed.

You have statistics, or just your opinion?

Hell, since my last dive trip was a semi-tech dive in Volusia County in
the am, then shooting trap & pistol with other dive buddies in Columbia
County in the pm, seems like that makes many seemingly OT posts relevant to
me.

The analogy to a "bar" works for me, sort of like a dive club get
together, where OT topics do indeed come up. Idiots & troublemakers need to
get bounced, those who go too far OT should recognize it and change
subjects, otherwise we recognize that we have other interests with diving
being our main common link.

Curtis

dechucka

Jun 12, 2009, 5:06:24 PM6/12/09

> vo...@hotmail.com wrote

>>> But the group is dead.
>>>
>>> Guess he's into necrophilia.
>>
>> Strangely the number of diving related posts has increased since
>> Mossman's comments
>
> Really? Haven't noticed.
>
> You have statistics, or just your opinion?

my observation

> Hell, since my last dive trip was a semi-tech dive in Volusia County in
> the am, then shooting trap & pistol with other dive buddies in Columbia
> County in the pm, seems like that makes many seemingly OT posts relevant
> to me.
>
> The analogy to a "bar" works for me, sort of like a dive club get
> together, where OT topics do indeed come up. Idiots & troublemakers need
> to get bounced, those who go too far OT should recognize it and change
> subjects, otherwise we recognize that we have other interests with diving
> being our main common link.

interesting theory

Brad

Jun 11, 2009, 11:47:17 PM6/11/09

"Greg Mossman" <mos...@qnet.com> wrote in message

On Jun 11, 8:54 am, "Chris Guynn" <chris.gu...@gmail.net> wrote:
> Greg Mossman wrote:
> > On Jun 10, 7:57 am, El Stroko Guapo <omg...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >> About four years ago, I bought a pair of steel 100s with a bad case
> >> of boot rot. I treated them, and all my steels, as follows and all
> >> are very clean. (btw, I never rinse my tanks. Yeah, I know.)
>
> >> 1. With a wire wheel, remove as much rust as you can. Wipe thoroughly
> >> with lacquer thinner.
>
> >> 2. Spray on three or four thin coats of Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing
> >> Compound. Dry well between coats.
>
> >> 3. Smear the boot line with white lithium grease. Replace boots. The
> >> lithium will stay on for 40 - 50 dives, then regrease. No more rust.
>
> > And here I thought you were offering a good solution for stinky
> > booties. Maybe I could smear my feet with the white lithium grease?
> > I'm leery about spraying the Rustoleum on them and that wire wheel
> > hurts!
>
> Do you have a lot of rust on your feet? If not, I'm guessing you could
> just
> skip the wire wheel part since the point of that is to remove the existing
> rust.

-I thought we were talking about rot, not rust. You should see the
-damage the wire wheel did after I tried to remove a bit of crotch rot!

Random orbital sander does wonders for the cracks that can appear in your
feet, if you are affected the cracks can get nasty. Beware of heat build-up
when sanding as by the time you feel warmth it is going to be rather warm
even after you stop sanding. Sanding is preferable to cutting as the cracks
grow back after the excess skin is cut off.
It worked for me, and one other person, but I don't recommend doing someone
else, because you can't feel the heat, and by the time they react it will
get too painful.
Jock rot is different, wire wheel should cure it, if there's nothing left,
it can't rot. Pyrantel (From foggy memory) was the brand of the gear that
works great if you prefer the wussy non surgical treatment.

--
Brad Leyden
6� 43.5816' S 146� 59.3097' E WGS84

Douglas W. "Popeye" Frederick

Jun 13, 2009, 8:04:45 AM6/13/09
"dechucka" <vo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Curtis" <cavey_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> You have statistics, or just your opinion?
>
> my observation

We've had the dubious "benefit" of those before.

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.

--
Popeye
"Best thing for him, really. His therapy

www.finalprotectivefire.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/Popeye8762

Curtis

Jun 13, 2009, 12:22:24 PM6/13/09
>>> You have statistics, or just your opinion?
>>
>> my observation
>
> We've had the dubious "benefit" of those before.

Seems <vo...@hotmail.com> has drawn the attention of one of the
bouncers. ;-)

dechucka

Jun 13, 2009, 5:56:05 PM6/13/09

"Curtis" <cavey_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Oh know it is big bad bouncer

Douglas W. "Popeye" Frederick

Jun 13, 2009, 7:04:29 PM6/13/09
"dechucka" <vo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

He needs to draw the attention of "hooked on phonics".

dechucka

Jun 13, 2009, 7:09:01 PM6/13/09

"Douglas W. "Popeye" Frederick" <Pop...@finalprotectivefire.com> wrote in
message news:gPOdnS3EuNg5ranX...@supernews.com...

> "dechucka" <vo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Curtis" <cavey_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Seems <vo...@hotmail.com> has drawn the attention of one of the
>>> bouncers. ;-)
>>
>> Oh know it is big bad bouncer
>

> He needs to draw the attention of "hooked on phonics".

grate album isn't it

Bob

Jun 13, 2009, 7:44:02 PM6/13/09
In article <b0tYl.21441$8_3....@flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com>,
chris...@gmail.net says...
-:>> Greg Mossman wrote:
-:>>> On Jun 10, 7:57 am, El Stroko Guapo <omg...@earthlink.net> wrote:
-:>>>> About four years ago, I bought a pair of steel 100s with a bad case
-:>>>> of boot rot. I treated them, and all my steels, as follows and all
-:>>>> are very clean. (btw, I never rinse my tanks. Yeah, I know.)
-:>>
[...]
-:>
-:> I thought we were talking about rot, not rust. You should see the
-:> damage the wire wheel did after I tried to remove a bit of crotch rot!

a natural liberal type of error.
a real world problem.

Curtis

Jun 14, 2009, 6:52:03 AM6/14/09

>>> Oh know it is big bad bouncer

>> He needs to draw the attention of "hooked on phonics".

> grate album isn't it

You're beginning to look sheepish.

dechucka

Jun 14, 2009, 4:52:17 PM6/14/09

"Curtis" <cavey_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

BAAstard but please don't ram it home or the big bad bouncer, that mean lamb
in wolves clothing, may get me