Which is better. Suunto Stinger or Vyper?

Yang Si Cheng

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
Which is better. Suunto Stinger or Vyper?

--
Yang Si Cheng
ICQ: 6556854

Jon

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
There are considerations for both. The stinger and Vyper both have almost
the same function....normal air dives and nitrox dives. However the
difference is the size...the stinger looks like a normal watch while the
vyper is the size of a normal dive computer....aka...it is big.
Personallly i would choose the stinger...it looks great as a watch and you
can dive with it (of course it is a great conversation starter with diving
friends) but there is a down side to it. Due to its small size..the display
is smaller then the vyper.
"Yang Si Cheng" <sic...@magix.com.sg> wrote in message

Clifford Beshers

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
"Jon" <comp...@hotmail.com> writes:

I believe the stinger also has a freediving mode. The Vyper only
displays minutes, not seconds, which makes it hard to tell how long
you have been holding your breath.

________________
Clifford Beshers

Clifford Beshers

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
"Jon" <comp...@hotmail.com> writes:

> Actually the vyper also has a free diving mode...but cliff is right...the
> vyper shows only the minutes and not the seconds..i don't know about the
> stinger though...

It has a gauge mode, which is effectively a bottom timer, which is
what I used. I assume that is what you are talking about. If you
aren't, then I'd like to know about it. But I believe the Stinger has
a mode designed specifically for freediving.

________________
Clifford Beshers

Dave Steckler

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
I personally would choose the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus.

Jason O'Rourke

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
Dave Steckler <dav...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>I personally would choose the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus.

That's one way to throw away a few hundred extra dollars.

Both of these models are not air integrated. And Suunto is much better on
the feature set than the Oceanics have been. But stick to the Dataplus2
if you want to longer NDL times that their algorithm permits.

--
Jason O'Rourke j...@best.com www.jor.com
Rec.scuba strokes pics page: www.jor.com/strokes

Jon

Oct 10, 2000, 12:48:45 PM10/10/00
"Clifford Beshers" <bes...@fenton.beshers.net> wrote in message

> "Jon" <comp...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > There are considerations for both. The stinger and Vyper both have
almost
> > the same function....normal air dives and nitrox dives. However the
> > difference is the size...the stinger looks like a normal watch while the
> > vyper is the size of a normal dive computer....aka...it is big.
> > Personallly i would choose the stinger...it looks great as a watch and
you
> > can dive with it (of course it is a great conversation starter with
diving
> > friends) but there is a down side to it. Due to its small size..the
display
> > is smaller then the vyper.
> > "Yang Si Cheng" <sic...@magix.com.sg> wrote in message
> > > Which is better. Suunto Stinger or Vyper?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Yang Si Cheng
> > > ICQ: 6556854
> > > Alt: sich...@yahoo.com

Jon

Oct 10, 2000, 11:38:17 PM10/10/00
oh yes...i was talking about the gauge mode...

> "Jon" <comp...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Actually the vyper also has a free diving mode...but cliff is
right...the
> > vyper shows only the minutes and not the seconds..i don't know about the
> > stinger though...

Kevin Su

Oct 11, 2000, 1:40:20 AM10/11/00
Hmm, I second that. Vyper might be more "fashionable" but Datamax Pro Plus is
simple,
easy to use both above and under water. You can't go wrong with bigger displays
under
water :)

Dave Steckler wrote:

> I personally would choose the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus.

Clifford Beshers

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
Kevin Su <ks...@earthlink.net> writes:

> Hmm, I second that. Vyper might be more "fashionable" but Datamax Pro Plus is
> simple,
> easy to use both above and under water. You can't go wrong with bigger displays
> under
> water :)

I'm not sure what you mean by fashionable, but I think you may be
referring to the Stinger, which is sort of watch-sized, as opposed ot
the Vyper, which is standard dive computer size. I've never seen the
Datamax Pro Plus. I think Lee Bell speaks highly of it. From what he
said, it has similar size and capabilities as the Vyper.

--
________________
Clifford Beshers

Dazed and Confused

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00
Einar: can you expound on the rig for using surgical tubing to fasten the Vyper?
I own one, but find it's size and bulk to be a problem...
thanks
Bert
Einar Hagen wrote:

> If you rip the annoying strap and rubber housing off the Vyper
> and use surgical tubing to fasten it, its much smaller than its
> original size. And the display is way better than the Stinger.
>
> Anyone know if the Stinger can be set to gaugemode and
> be operational down to 150meters? Anyway, the Vyper can
> and is an awesome bottomtimer/logging device.
>
> Einar
>
> Jon <comp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > There are considerations for both. The stinger and Vyper both have almost
> > the same function....normal air dives and nitrox dives. However the
> > difference is the size...the stinger looks like a normal watch while the
> > vyper is the size of a normal dive computer....aka...it is big.
> > Personallly i would choose the stinger...it looks great as a watch and you
> > can dive with it (of course it is a great conversation starter with diving
> > friends) but there is a down side to it. Due to its small size..the
> display
> > is smaller then the vyper.

Scott Moore

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00
I heard that the Stinger was good to 450 ft. Last time I was at 450 feet I
could
barely count the fingers on all my hands, and I forgot to check if the
stinger was
working right at that depth. Shoot! I'll have to try that one again.

Scott
www.scubashack.com

"Einar Hagen" <einar...@unforgettable.com> wrote in message

Clifford Beshers

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00
"Einar Hagen" <einar...@unforgettable.com> writes:

> If you rip the annoying strap and rubber housing off the Vyper
> and use surgical tubing to fasten it, its much smaller than its
> original size. And the display is way better than the Stinger.
>
> Anyone know if the Stinger can be set to gaugemode and
> be operational down to 150meters? Anyway, the Vyper can
> and is an awesome bottomtimer/logging device.

The stinger's definitely got a gauge mode. I'd think twice about
taking the stinger to that depth. Just on general suspicious principles...

--
Clifford Beshers

Einar Hagen

Einar Hagen

Oct 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/19/00
Remove the straps and rubber housing, take a piece of
tubing, squeeze it between the house and the metal thingy,
secure it with zipties. Use two bungees, so that if one if
one breaks you dont lose your computer.

Einar