Dealing with Bedwetting on campouts

Jeff D.

Feb 19, 2004, 10:11:42 PM2/19/04
In article <cdcdf$40355494$d841b24d$22...@allthenewsgroups.com>,
"John Bry" <jb...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> This is a new one on me. I hope someone has advice from experience...
>
> The father of a newly crossed-over Scout advises me that his son has a bed
> wetting problem that is not 100% controlled by medication. The boy is
> anxious about this. The father cannot attend all camp outs (as he did when
> his son was a visiting Webelos) to get him up for a predawn watering.
>
> Under Youth Protection, I'm not sure that I should rouse the boy by myself.
> With TWO adults getting him up at 3am, the poor kid probably would feel
> really bad! And he would be in a tent with another boy or two to begin
> with.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. His first camp out is mid-March.
>
> YIS
> John

Haven't had this specific one, but some other personal matters, most
recent was homesickness accompanied by physical illnesses and a fear of
the dark. Depending on the issue I've found that lacing pep talks, etc.
with personal experiences worked pretty well. Got past fear of the dark
with the story of the first time I went camping without Dad, and spooked
one of the biggest raccoons I've ever seen by peeing on him in the bush
behind my tent. The other thing we've done on a couple of instances was
using a cellphone. Give Mom or Dad the number, give it to the boy before
bed and let them call. These were usually extreme needs for exact
schedule. As for youth protection, if Dad and the boy want to discuss it
sit them down for "A Time to Tell" and explain the buddy system/ 2-deep
leadership policies. Just make sure to do all your talking up front, let
them watch and send them home to discuss it further. If the boy
understands the buddy system, you can use that as an example of why
there are two adults are awake. Maybe one of you could sit at the table
or fire, while one person is waking the other is not as obvious to the
boy, but definitely there for YP purposes. As for in with other Scouts,
use your judgement on who he shares a tent with. Is there anyone, a
brother/cousin/close friend who is in the Troop and knows/can be
discrete? Other than that, all I can think is equipment, is there a way
to line sleeping bag or ??? Without actually knowing the person, it gets
kind of a dead end for me here. Hope it helps a little.
Jeff, MC T-15

Hans Olav Hygen

Feb 20, 2004, 2:08:53 AM2/20/04
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:28:04 GMT, John Bry <jb...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> The father cannot attend all camp outs (as he did when
> his son was a visiting Webelos) to get him up for a predawn watering.
>
> Under Youth Protection, I'm not sure that I should rouse the boy by
> myself.
> With TWO adults getting him up at 3am, the poor kid probably would feel
> really bad! And he would be in a tent with another boy or two to begin
> with.

How about getting a written consent frrom the father that you or other
named/unamed leader should get the boy up alone and do get him to the
toilet with as little fuss as possible.

James Stuttard

Feb 20, 2004, 10:35:54 AM2/20/04

> How about getting a written consent frrom the father that you or other
> named/unamed leader should get the boy up alone and do get him to the
> toilet with as little fuss as possible.

i dont know about you guys but in the UK that really wouldnt be allowed,
the key bit isnt the fact the kid wets the bed, its that one leader is
doing the getting up, the whole point of having two leader is an
exercise in making sure that nothing can happen. and a consent letter
doesnt protect the leader from that kind of thing.

on a second note, how spooky, i've got a new scout who seems to have the
same issues. we've asked the parents to provide some spare equiptment
as its the parents and the child who really want the child to go, and
going to make sure the kid doenst drink anything etc, etc.

Ja...@3rdaber.org.uk

David Weintraub

Feb 20, 2004, 11:15:34 PM2/20/04
Youth Protection (Adult Protection) requires 2 adults when working with
any boy. The issue of equipment can still be an embarrasment for the
scout. Any easy way to solve the problem is to use depends if the boy is
large or large size overnights if he isn't. Explain to the boy that
its to protect the equipment and prevent embarrasment. Have him put the
item on in the KYBO (outhouse) and were PJ's over it. In the morning get
him up first and let him get ready before the others.

Tom Shelly, White God

Feb 21, 2004, 2:44:07 AM2/21/04
wrote:

>This is a new one on me. I hope someone has advice from experience...
>
>The father of a newly crossed-over Scout advises me that his son has a bed
>wetting problem that is not 100% controlled by medication. The boy is
>anxious about this. The father cannot attend all camp outs (as he did when
>his son was a visiting Webelos) to get him up for a predawn watering.
>
>Under Youth Protection, I'm not sure that I should rouse the boy by myself.
>With TWO adults getting him up at 3am, the poor kid probably would feel
>really bad! And he would be in a tent with another boy or two to begin
>with.
>
>Any help would be appreciated. His first camp out is mid-March.

Just have your faggot friend keep look out while you lick the urine
from the boy's privates.

What's the problem? It's a Boy Scout Campout after all.

Tom Shelly, White God

Ongoing list of Boy Scout Leaders and officials in the Boy Scouts who
have been arrested for child molestation.

(compiled by the editors at Shelly Publishing)
(send contributions with links to
tom_shelly_lege...@yahoo.com)

" **Glenn Jordan, El Cajon, California.

Boy Scout Director, molested boys from 15 to 17.

http://www.nctimes.net/news/083100/g.html

" **Christopher Reardon, Essex County.
Boy Scout Leader, lured boys with pornography and engaged in sex
acts with them at Boy Scout Summer Camps.
http://www.sexcriminals.com/news-archive/info-11306.html

" **Robert Malcomb Jr, Warr Acres, Oklahoma.
Boy Scout Leader, charged with 107 counts of child molestaton,
admitted to 67, sentenced to 200 years in prison. Molested boys in
his troop.

" **Thomas Andrew Daleske, 39, Warren County, Iowa.
Assistant Boy Scout Leader, arrested and charged with molesting
boys.

" **Richard F. Fisco Sr., 64, of Myton
Boy Scout Leader, admitted to sexually abusing over 20 children
since 1961.

" **Michael Maggy, 35, Medina, Ohio
Boy Scout Leader, plead guilty to rape and sexual battery as crying
boys looked on. Received life in prison.

" **John Hemstreet, President of the Toledo, Ohio, chapters of
Parents and Friends of Lesbians
and Gays (PFLAG) and Scouting for All, protests and leads
protests against the Boy Scout policy of not allowing faggots.
Hemstreet, is a convicted child molester. Hemstreet pleaded guilty
to two counts of gross sexual imposition involving a 10-year-old boy.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15032

" **Robert King, 50, Brevard County, Florida.
Boy Scout Leader, charged with lewd and lascivious molestaton.
King confessed that exposed himself and showed the troop
members pornography.
http://www.sexcriminals.com/news-archive/info-13746.html

" **Jonathan Ralton, 21, Boston, Massachusetts
Assistant Boy Scout Leader, pled guilty to raping a 13 year old boy
in his troop.
http://www.massnews.com/past_issues/2001/march%202001/marboyrape.htm

" **David N. Brown, 41, Blue Springs, Jackson County
Boy Scout Leader, pled guilty of molesting five boys between the ages
of 9 and 17. All members of his troop.
http://www.examiner.net/stories/070203/new_070203006.shtml

" **Keith Walker, 26, Miami, Florida
Boy Scout Camp Instructor, arrested and charged with fondling boys at
a scuba class.
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/103-09162003-160306.html

Tom Shelly, White God

Feb 21, 2004, 2:46:56 AM2/21/04
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:08:53 +0100, Hans Olav Hygen
<hhygenFJ...@start.no> wrote:

>How about getting a written consent frrom the father that you or other
>named/unamed leader should get the boy up alone and do get him to the
>toilet with as little fuss as possible.

Good angle.

And maybe they can wipe the boy's genitals too with the father's
consent?

Hell..that's a Boy Scout Leader's dream!

Allow faggots to join the Boy Scouts?

Think again.

(compiled by the editors at Shelly Publishing)

" Despite the ban on faggots in the Boy Scouts, enough of them
slipped by to molest and rape over 2,000 boys.
Source:
http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-carbone061902.asp

" Of all the various youth groups today, 'the Boy Scouts provide
the
ideal situation' for men to find young boys to molest, according to
Dr.
Reisman."
"Despite the BSA training and rules, the incidents of reported child
molestation
have been on the rise . . . BSA statistics and various media reports
over the past
20 years show a near-tripling of sexual abuse cases - from about 70
cases a
year then to about 200 annually now

Source: David M. Bresnahan, "Rape of a sacred trust: How pedophiles
have targeted the Boy Scouts of America,"
World Net Daily, October 5, 2000

" ""The BSA dropped 169 Scout leaders due to alleged child
molestation charges in 1987, and 209 in 1989.""
Source: http://www.cornellsun.com/articles/10027/

" ""A nationwide investigation of child molestation in the Boy
Scouts of America (see Insight, June 17, 1991) reported 1,151
complaints by Boy Scouts of abuse by Scout leaders in the past 19
years, in all 50 States and the District of Columbia""
Source: http://www.leaderu.com/marco/special/spc37.html

" ""1,416 men have been arrested or banned from the Boy Scouts
due to molestation charges.""
Source: The Washington Times, June 16, 1993

" The North American Man Boy Love Association, an organization
of faggot child molesters, wrote:
"NAMBLA calls on the Boy Scouts of America to cease its discrimination
against openly gay and lesbian persons in the appointment of its scout
masters and scouters and in its membership. This will permit scouts to
be exposed to a variety of life-styles and will permit more of those
individuals who genuinely wish to serve boys to do so."
Source: Sept. 1992, p. 6 Nambla Bulletin

" Queer Nation, a faggot organization, offered this advice to
child molesters banned from the Boy Scouts:
"Ask for a public meeting with your local United Way chapter to demand
that they defund the Boy Scouts. Take the media and apply to become a
scout leader. Take the media and meet with local scout troops. Find
out if the Scouts recruit at school and ask the school board to throw
them out. Boy Scouts of America says it will not comply with the
demands of homosexuals"
Source: http://www.leaderu.com/marco/special/spc37.html

" ''A nationwide investigation of child molestation in the Boy
Scouts from 1971 to 1991 revealed that more than 2,000 boys reported
molestation by adult Scout leaders.''
Source: http://www.marriagesavers.org/Columns/C974.htm

" Bob Knight, of the Culture and Family Institute, told Dr.
Dobson on a recent Focus on the Family broadcast. "They've (The Boy
Scouts) had a couple of thousand cases where they've had to get rid
of Scoutmasters who were molesting boys. And they will defend their
policy only on narrow freedom-of-association grounds. They don't tell
you anything about the reason they have the policy is to protect boys
from homosexuality."
Knight elaborated: "Male sexuality is different from female sexuality.
There is a greater chance of boys being molested in an overnight
situation with a homosexual counselor because of the nature of the
male sex drive."
Source: http://family.org/cforum/feature/a0018447.cfm