Spiritual Material - 9

Jim Speirs

Dec 9, 1994, 1:14:00 PM12/9/94
Article # 14c.
====

Scouter's 5 Cut-outs
Pages 641 & 642
The Leader, January 1990

A New Year

A new year is unfolding
Like a blossom with petals curled tightly
Concealing the beauty within:
Let this year be filled
With the things that are truly good;
With warmth in our relationships
With strength to help those who need our help
With humility and openness
To accept help from others.

Rosh Hashanah Thoughts
We found this material in a local newspaper in the days leading
to Sept. 30, Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year, which celebrates
the creation of man. It opened with a quote from Rabbi Menachem
M. Scheneerson: "Our sages teach us that the reason man was
created single was to demonstrate how one person equals a whole
world." The words that follow provide food for thought as we
welcome 1990.

"The foundation of our faith (is) the belief that each one of us
has it in his or her power, regardless of wealth or position, to
turn the world into a better place, a force for good rather than
evil...

"Each year, when we celebrate Rosh Hashanah, we are reminded of
our ability. Each year Rosh Hashanah gives us a resurgence of
the strength needed to fulfill these goals.

"This is a time for rejuvenation and commitment. A time to
clarify our sense of purpose and fulfillment. Not just now, but
forever."

Wolf Cub Prayer, Bolivia

Kind and good Lord, teach me to be humble and generous, to
imitate your example, to love you with all my heart, and to
follow your path.

Destiny

There is a destiny that makes us brothers
None goes his way alone,
All that we send into the lives of others
Comes back into our own. (Edwin Markham)

We Begin

God, we begin a new year well fed and warmly clothed, among
friends, and with more things than we need to keep us healthy and
happy. We are the lucky ones. We pray for others who are not so
fortunate and, more important, we want to work for them. Help
show us the way to make our community, our country, and our world
a place where all people enjoy good food and shelter, good
friendships and peace--where all people have a fair share of the
things they need to be healthy and happy and truly alive.

A Thought: Small deeds done are better than great
deeds planned. (Peter Marshall)

Time

Thank you, God, for time:
Time for talking and time for walking,
Time for caring and time for sharing,
Time for working and time for playing,
Time for running and time for resting,
You give us time, God;
Help us make the most of it.
--from Scouting (U.K.) magazine

New Year's Blessing

God bless thy year,
Thy coming in, thy going out,
Thy rest, thy travelling about,
The rough, the smooth,
The bright, the dear;
God bless thy year.
---
* RoseReader 2.00b P003758: How do you put 500 bugs in a matchbox? Ask Microsoft