Mildew in Tents

Timothy R. Smith

Apr 25, 2002, 12:24:49 PM4/25/02
Does anybody know how to remove mildew from tents that weren't dried
properly. I have been going through all of the tents for my Boy Scout
troop and came across one that was still wet and mildew was starting
to form. Any help is appreciated.

Timothy R. Smith

MCCET

Apr 25, 2002, 2:00:50 PM4/25/02
Some tents "waterproofing" is comprtomised by "washing"
Hang the tents under bright sunlight to kill the mildew and and it
should brush off.
Refold and store
Repeat as needed to be effective.

This has worked for us many times with custom made (by a local
tentmaker) canvas tents.

penny s

Apr 25, 2002, 2:43:49 PM4/25/02

"Timothy R. Smith" <tims...@inwave.com> wrote in message

basically, you are screwed. Once it's there, it's there for good. You can
possibly stop the spread with sun, MILD bleach solition, mild lemon juice
solition... YMMV. Mildew will eventually destroy a tent coating.

but here's some info. (general fabric info; do not use detergent on urethane
tent coatings)

Removing Mildew
Remove mildew spots from clothing as soon as you discover them. Brush off
mold outdoors so mildew spores do not scatter in the house. Sun and air
fabrics thoroughly. If mildew spots remain, pretreat them by rubbing
detergent into the dampened stain. Launder the items in hot water and
chlorine bleach, if safe for fabric, and detergent. Rinse well and dry in
the sun. If any stain remains, use lemon juice and salt. Again spread in the
sun to bleach. Rinse thoroughly. Chlorine bleach is effective in killing the
mildew growth and eliminating the staining. However, it cannot be used on
silk, wool or nylon.
Sodium perborate and hydrogen peroxide are mild oxidizing bleaches. Use
sodium perborate if the garment contains silk, wool or nylon. However, it is
not safe for white silk and wool. Hydrogen peroxide is safe on all fibers
and most colors, but be sure to test for colorfastness. Because these
bleaches are mild, they are not very effective in removing mildew stains and
will not actually kill the fungus.
Take non-washables to the drycleaner; identify the stain.
Remove mildew from leather foods by wiping the surface with diluted alcohol
(l cup denatured or rubbing alcohol to l cup water). Dry in a current of
air; use a fan for better circulation. If mildew remains, wash with saddle
soap, or a soap containing a germicide or fungicide. Wipe with a damp cloth
and dry in an airy place. Polish leather shoes and luggage with a good wax
dressing.
Store Items With a Mildew Inhibitor

Penny S

--
Specialty Outdoors
Modification & Repair of Outdoor Gear & Clothing

Joe DeBiso

May 1, 2002, 10:40:29 PM5/1/02
I've used lemon juice in a spray bottle. Spray on, let it sit for a moment
or two and then wipe away the mold. This works for mild to moderate mold.
I usually use a little camp dry in the area I wash this way just in case.

Hope that helps!

Joe
Pack 201
Westfield, NY