Weldwood contact cement good to re-bond running shoe parts?

James

Nov 1, 2008, 5:42:01 AM11/1/08
Anyone have any experience using Weldwood contact cement to re-adhere
glued-together parts (thoroughly cleaned of course) of a running shoe
such as the bottom sole layer to the spongy portion of the shoe
bottom?

http://www.bizrate.com/paint_wallcoveringsupplies/oid857863869.html

Thanks

Frank

Nov 1, 2008, 8:03:36 AM11/1/08

I would think that contact cement does not cure and bond would be less
than permanent like adhesive tape. I might try something like Gorilla Glue.

dpb

Nov 1, 2008, 8:08:56 AM11/1/08
James wrote:
> Anyone have any experience using Weldwood contact cement to re-adhere
> glued-together parts (thoroughly cleaned of course) of a running shoe
> such as the bottom sole layer to the spongy portion of the shoe
> bottom?
No, but contact cement won't work on a porous medium.

I doubt you'll find any adhesive working well; afaik those are welded
(solvent/heat) connections, not adhesives. Once the foam substructure
has failed, they're toast.

Art Todesco

Nov 1, 2008, 10:10:20 AM11/1/08
For shoe parts, I have always used
Plyobond. It is a contact cement, but can
be used by clamping and letting it cure.
The directions say you can do this
with a little heat. I've done it with
and without heat.

Doug Freese

Nov 1, 2008, 10:36:35 AM11/1/08

"dpb" <no...@non.net> wrote in message news:gehh4n$mq5$2...@aioe.org...

Good for mowing lawns and shopping.

rms

Nov 1, 2008, 11:10:07 AM11/1/08
>>> Anyone have any experience using Weldwood contact cement to re-adhere
>>> glued-together parts (thoroughly cleaned of course) of a running shoe
>>> such as the bottom sole layer to the spongy portion of the shoe
>>> bottom?

I've used "Shoe Glue"
http://www.powerpoxy.com/productDetail.asp?productID=462 which works well
for attaching trailgaiter velcro strips to the fabric portion of a shoe.
I've also used it to reattach flapping portions of the sole on the bottom of
running shoes. Cured overnight, this will hold for around a week, though as
dpb says, it's not permanent. A good product to have around though.

rms

Joe

Nov 1, 2008, 11:46:53 AM11/1/08

Take the project to a real shoe shop. For the few bucks you spend
you're more like;y to be successful than if you experiment on your
own. Remember, President Obama wants you to spread the wealth around
and all the shoe makers I know are less than middle class. Good luck.

Joe

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

James

Nov 1, 2008, 10:22:53 PM11/1/08
On Nov 1, 1:09 pm, Coal Porter <thisisuse...@nomail.com> wrote:

> This stuff is like *extreme* airplane glue and I always have some on
> hand for general glueing (other than woods). It'll replace a rivet on
> an old tool, it's that strong

I'm actually trying to avoid Shoe Goo, that's what I'm beating my
brains out now to remove from a previous half-assed repair attempt,
using MEK to dissolve it.

> but I'm sure you know that once shoes
> start to pull apart, they're a little like Humpty Dumpty.

Dunno, looking at how the the shoe is constructed, the sole,
cushioning mid-sole and rest of the shoe are distinct pieces held
together by adhesive. With the contact areas are cleaned thoroughly,
if a suitable adhesive is used, I don't see why it shouldn't be
possible to bond them together. These are some Nike running shoes that
I really like and are otherwise pretty intact, seems worth the effort
to see if I can refurbish them, to at least have them as a backup
pair.

James

Nov 1, 2008, 11:28:40 PM11/1/08
On Nov 1, 8:08 am, dpb <n...@non.net> wrote:
> James wrote:
> > Anyone have any experience using Weldwood contact cement to re-adhere
> > glued-together parts (thoroughly cleaned of course) of a running shoe
> > such as the bottom sole layer to the spongy portion of the shoe
> > bottom?

> No, but contact cement won't work on a porous medium.

I don't think I'd characterize the mid-sole as porous, just sort of
soft-ish and pliable.

> I doubt you'll find any adhesive working well; afaik those are welded
> (solvent/heat) connections, not adhesives. Once the foam substructure
> has failed, they're toast.

At least these shoes are pretty clearly bonded with an adhesive,
acetone de-adheres it pretty much instantly.

DanG

Nov 1, 2008, 11:58:06 PM11/1/08
Everyone who works with leather uses Barge cement.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"James" <muzic...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

johnb...@sbcglobal.net

Nov 3, 2008, 6:18:48 AM11/3/08
On Nov 1, 4:42 am, James <muzicia...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Any running shoe that is in the condition of needing parts glued back
together is not a shoe that you should consider putting any more miles
into unless you really want to injure yourself.

Most running shoes stop protecting a runner after 300/400 miles.
Running more than 500 miles in a pair is dumb ... after that you start
reaching the asking to see an orthopod.

Bob Jones

Dec 3, 2017, 9:14:11 AM12/3/17
replying to Joe, Bob Jones wrote: