running, racing and music

Joe

Jun 22, 2004, 6:18:42 PM6/22/04
Hey, I've never listened to music when I'm running, but I'm thinking of
getting an mp3 player and trying it. Is it worth it?

What's it like on a marathon or a half when you have crowds cheering you on
anyway?

Here's a gross questions, but all runners will identify with it... don't the
headphones get full of sweat and break?

I'm just looking for something that will give me tempo as I train and try
and get a PB - I tend to slow down to nothing.

Cheers, Joe.

Dave P.

Jun 22, 2004, 6:25:14 PM6/22/04
"Joe" <j...@ninety.com> wrote in message news:m%2Cc.304$VG3.62@newsfe2-win...

i have one and i enjoy it while running. some people will disagree.

i don't think it will make your times better though. I seem to do better
when i can hear my breathing.

but it does make a boring treadmill or boring course more fun.

don't wear it if you run around cars and stuff.

Brian

Jun 23, 2004, 12:36:36 PM6/23/04
Joe wrote:
> Hey, I've never listened to music when I'm running, but I'm thinking of
> getting an mp3 player and trying it. Is it worth it?

I don't like them when I run, but that's a personal choice. I sometimes use my
iPod to drown out the banal television programs in my apartment's workout room
(when the snow is too deep to run outside). I find that it stays on my hip very
well and doesn't skip at all.

The standard iPod headphones always fall out of my ears, though, so I use an
in-ear headphone with a band over the top. The in-ear part keeps them from
getting very sweaty and the band keeps them on my head.

> I'm just looking for something that will give me tempo as I train and try
> and get a PB - I tend to slow down to nothing.

I tend to sing in my head. I find a song that has a tempo that matches the pace
I want and just loop it in my head. I have a pretty good sense of "musical"
time, so it works well for me ... your mileage may vary.

Brian

Beach Runner

Jun 23, 2004, 2:24:56 PM6/23/04

The purists say no. I prefer Books on tape or CD. I accomplish a lot
while working out.

proudest m0nki

Jun 23, 2004, 5:55:38 PM6/23/04
brian,
how do you have your ipod secured to you? i use an armband, but even so,
with the jostling of running, it freezes up completely about 20 minutes into
the run... :-/

Joshua Steinberg

Jun 26, 2004, 12:55:12 PM6/26/04
Joe wrote:
> Hey, I've never listened to music when I'm running, but I'm thinking of
> getting an mp3 player and trying it. Is it worth it?

I love it, breaks up the boredom when one is not inspired, a good tune
will inspire me to sprint here and there. I listen to NPR on FM radio,
mp3 music, baseball games on AM radio, Books on tape especially in the
miserable cold dark gray boring winters, and I "record" NPR's hilarious
CarTalk over the web, convert it to mp3, and listen to it while running.
One can download virtually anything such as CarTalk and books on tape
from Audible.com for the mp3 player, too.

> What's it like on a marathon or a half when you have crowds cheering you on
> anyway?

It's fine. Purists will tell you not to listen to music during a race.
And many races forbid earphones & music, but I've never yet seen a
walkman or mp3 player taken from someone, and lord knows I've broken the
rule every single time I've raced.

If you're in a marathon and crowds are really cheering, the crowd will
easily drown out the little music in your ears. And if you want to
crank the volume to hear the music and not the crowds, your choice.

> Here's a gross questions, but all runners will identify with it... don't the
> headphones get full of sweat and break?

No, surprisingly, they hold up fine. The nylon earbud covering gets a
little earwaxy after a year or two, you can buy cheap replacements.

-- Josh

Brian

Jun 30, 2004, 8:10:05 AM6/30/04
proudest m0nki wrote:
> brian,
> how do you have your ipod secured to you? i use an armband, but even so,
> with the jostling of running, it freezes up completely about 20 minutes into
> the run... :-/

I use the carrying case with belt clip that came with my iPod:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9129G/A

Just hook it on my running shorts and go. I only use it on a treadmill, though,
so there probably isn't as much bouncing as I would get on a trail.

Brian

Linda & Pete

Jul 1, 2004, 2:56:07 PM7/1/04
Just changed over from CD (supposedly non-skip) to MP3 player - MUST
have my music, I just can't run without it. It's totally not the beat
either, I like running and feel I go faster with the music. I listen
to hip-hop and I am the most LEAST hip-hop like listener you'd ever
meet.

Got a cheapie MP3 off ebay that came with a tunebelt armband - totally
awesome and I use the behind the head earphones - yes, the foamy
things get sweaty but it's no biggie. You probably can replace them.
And, loved the audio.com ideas. - Linda

roger

Jul 1, 2004, 7:56:54 PM7/1/04
I have been researching mp3 players and would like an mp3 player that
is waterproof. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Joshua Steinberg

Jul 5, 2004, 8:58:39 AM7/5/04
roger wrote:
> I have been researching mp3 players and would like an mp3 player that
> is waterproof. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I doubt any can be submerged (ultimate degree of waterproof), but at
least many are water resistant. The Rio Cali I have found to be pretty
water resistant. So far it's resisted any damage from 170" snow this
winter, downpours this summer, and all the sweat in my hands (I carry it
in my hand, don't like the armband thingy). I suspect other units are
water resistant, too, but the Rio Cali is certainly good and
well-regarded. I do suggest you go with a "sports" model like the Cali
because it will be designed to endure some exposure to the elements like
cold, heat, rain, and sweat.
-- Josh