ACE continues down the shitter

Rastus O'Ginga

Sep 6, 2006, 11:29:14 PM9/6/06

Well, Mr. Subterfuge himself won ACE pres. Big surprise. At least
the vote tallies all make sense this year. They won't have to change
them to cover up the truth.

So, ACE gets another president in the Jan Kiser mold: not too
friendly, no kids, and sorta homely. So, we can look forward to at
least 4 more years of gay-centric ACE goodness. It's nice to see
fresh faces getting voted into office like Bill Linkenheimer and Dave
Altman. I'm sure we'll get some fresh ideas from them.

ALthough, to connect with a recently popular thread, Theme Park Review
apparently has more members (albeit non-paying) than ACE. Plus, thier
trips look a HELL of a lot more fun.

Rob and I have had our differences in the past, and we've thankfully
gotten past them. And Elissa is a great gal. I tip my hat to them
for working hard to get the best enthusiast site on the web. IMHO,
thier site is WAY more relevant than ACE at this point. I'm really
wondering why I still pay the dues. ECC's mag is loads better, and
rcdb, Screamscape, and TPR give me all the photos and info I can
stand. And Mark Cole is the last guy on the planet capable of making
ACE relevent again. I've been a member of ACE for 20 years, and very
little has changed in the way the club operates (hell the people
running it are almost the same). The world changed, and ACE was
apparently too busy planning pajama parties to notice.

BRAVO, Rob! TPR RULES!!!1!

Rastus O'Ginga

Winner of the 2nd Annual C. Montgomery Burns Award for
Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence.

"What an awful dream, 1s and 0s everywhere... I thought I saw a 2." - Bender

ANTI-BED-WETTING-LIBELRAL DISCLAIMER:
The content of this post, and all previous posts made by this user, is 100%
opinion. Any similarity between this post and the truth is purely
coincidental. Anyone who reads this post and draws conclusions about it is
doing so by their choice. How they use those conclusions to direct their
own lives and opinions from that point forward is absolutely a result of
their own cognitive abilities and is in no way related or legally binded to
this poster. NO individual, business entity, or legal authority should use
the content of this post, or any other post by the originator, in whole, or
in part, to assist in making a decision that could affect the lives of any
of the inhabitants of planet Earth, since the content may not be true.

AirtimeJunkie

Sep 6, 2006, 11:50:00 PM9/6/06

That is one of the main reasons I am no longer a member of ACE. It is
always the same people holding all of the positions. It is amazing how
they can get locked into a position for so many years, especially
regional reps. Anyhow, I'll have to agree with your comments on TPR.
I check out their site almost daily and the information on parks around
the world contained within their web site cannot be matched. And, yes,
their trips sound like a lot of fun, too. I hope to go on one of them
at some point in time.

Kevin

mikepin

Sep 7, 2006, 12:31:01 AM9/7/06
I have been out of ace a while, WHat happened to CArole Sanderson?
She was the last pres I knew of??

Ricky Summersett

Sep 7, 2006, 1:20:45 AM9/7/06

Rastus O'Ginga wrote:

> I'm really
> wondering why I still pay the dues.

I wondered that a few years ago, too.
At that point I had been a member since 1981!
After wondering why I still pay my dues I decided to not send them in
anymore. Now I have been ACE-free for 3 years.
I may join next year if I decide to go to Con (to sell stuff and do
Voyage) but only to save $ on the Con & sales table(s).

Ricky

kevind...@charter.net

Sep 7, 2006, 1:36:09 AM9/7/06

You are better off joining a smaller club plus go to HoliWoods Night
since most coaster clubs can attend! You MUST ride Voyage!! It is a
FACT that it is the GREATEST coaster ever built since Texas Cyclone and
I think Voyage may have been better although I haven't ridden TC. But I
have ridden GC @ SFOG and still think Voyage puts that to shame. Yet GC
is on of the most intense woodies I've been on!! :) That tells you how
great Voyage is!!!

BaSSiStiSt

Sep 7, 2006, 2:06:24 AM9/7/06
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 03:29:14 GMT, Rastus O'Ginga
<ras...@kingwoodXXXXXcable.net> wrote:

>So, we can look forward to at least 4 more years of gay-centric ACE goodness.

So quit?

>ALthough, to connect with a recently popular thread, Theme Park Review
>apparently has more members (albeit non-paying) than ACE. Plus, thier
>trips look a HELL of a lot more fun.

So go there?

>Rob and I have had our differences in the past, and we've thankfully
>gotten past them.

If you're lodged THAT far up his ass, you'd think you'd at least know
there's another "b" in his name.

Mike Miller

Life begins at the ACE buffet

deadand...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2006, 7:27:54 AM9/7/06
> So, ACE gets another president in the Jan Kiser mold: not too
> friendly, no kids, and sorta homely. So, we can look forward to at
> least 4 more years of gay-centric ACE goodness.

Ah, there's some quality trolling all over this post, but let's stick
to this. I mean, really now, there's a lot of people on this board
(myself included) who stopped mailing ACE a check years ago, and we
don't even hate the club. If I were ACE president, I'd laugh every time
you renewed.

nogodforme

Sep 7, 2006, 9:56:33 AM9/7/06
I made a few suggestions in the past and people tell me to STFU because
I'm not in the club. And now Rustas is mentioned TPR as the site ACE
should be.

I've said ACE should
Produce their own videos and make roller coaster shows. Never
happened. Yes I'm sure the people would help out if given the chance.

So what does Robb and Elisa do? They put a forum on their web site,
make a club, go on trips, encourage people to send in videos, and now
they're the biggest site around.
Robb is doing what I suggested. The only thing I'm not to thrilled
of, is all the goofy shots of Elisa and the other people they bring on
the trips. I've already told Robb to make POVs from the top of the
lift to the end of the ride with no cut shots. He agrees, but I guess
he can't resist putting in a shot of Elisa in there.

He's got the camera, time, and money to make a real coaster show.
That would be the next step, for him to make a production company
called TPR and make a video to submit to the Discovery Channel.

Rastus O'Ginga

Sep 7, 2006, 10:16:39 AM9/7/06

Actually, that's an issue I have with the Rob(b)s I know. I always
confuse who has the second B.

-r

TeknoScorpion

Sep 7, 2006, 11:38:59 AM9/7/06

I could care less about the sexuality of the person that runs a club
(or for that matter, the country), because that doesn't affect me,
regardless of my moral stance on the subject, but the reason I'll never
join ACE is because they suck. There are plenty of alternative coaster
clubs, ones that even promote a community, and even some of those host
events, trips, and what not, and you don't even have to pay to be a
member.

>From what I've seen of most of the ACE executives, they take the hobby
too seriously, try to dictate what the entire enthusiast community
should or should not do (or for that matter, count as a credit ;-) ),
and make excuses when they're firmly in the wrong.

I'll never join ACE. It has become a class society. You're ethere in
the 'in crowd', or you're nothing. I can get all of the current
information on the internet, interact with my coaster buds online or
off.

Rastus O'Ginga

Sep 7, 2006, 11:54:58 AM9/7/06

You mean, like they have some of list? NO, we all know that's not the
case. I mean, heck, RRC has castigated people for such opinions.

-r

TeknoScorpion

Sep 7, 2006, 1:41:54 PM9/7/06
> You mean, like they have some of list? NO, we all know that's not the
> case. I mean, heck, RRC has castigated people for such opinions.

For some reason, that post just isn't reading right to me. I'm not
getting what you're saying.

Rastus O'Ginga

Sep 7, 2006, 1:54:46 PM9/7/06

just Google A-list. Plus, it should have said "some SORT of list"

-r

Keith Hopkins

Sep 7, 2006, 2:08:59 PM9/7/06
"nogodforme" <nogod...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

>I made a few suggestions in the past and people tell me to STFU because
> I'm not in the club.

I thought it was because you post drunk.

--
Keith Hopkins
suss...@sssssssssgmail.ssssssssscom

AirtimeJunkie

Sep 7, 2006, 2:39:18 PM9/7/06

Keith, couldn't resist? lol

Keith Hopkins

Sep 7, 2006, 3:08:33 PM9/7/06
"AirtimeJunkie" <airtim...@aol.com> wrote in message

Hell, I thought I restrained myself pretty well. :-)

slithernoggin

Sep 8, 2006, 7:57:09 AM9/8/06
It is
> always the same people holding all of the positions.

Some people are willing to do the work to make a club run. Some people
aren't. Since the latter greatly outnumber the former, you see the same
people in various positions. That's not something exclusive to ACE.

nogodforme

Sep 8, 2006, 9:31:49 AM9/8/06
Nope, it wasn't because I was drunk, and lately I haven't been posting
drunk.

They said to take a hike because I wasn't in the club.

Why do you think Robb made his own site? He got tired of the shit
here and just said forget it. He makes enough money and has the time
to run his own board. So instead of fighting a broken system that
doesn't want to listen, he said screw it, and made his own.

Besides the POV videos and producing shows, there are a few more things
ACE could do.

The web site is lacking and you never hear about it.
I went to it just now and see they a forum but it's the free PHPBB and
there's only 30 users. Robb's site wasn't much until he added the
forums, that's when TPR really took off. The forum moderators are the
key. If they let people talk, then the forum grows. That's why TPR
is huge. Jeff banned everyone, so they said fuck it and went to TPR.

The other thing ACE needs to do is fix the stereotype that coaster fans
are nerds who like to fall out of rides. I mean, right now, most parks
don't want to have events because of all the crap in the past with
people standing up on the coasters. HW came back after a 2 year
break, but guess who they went to first? CFB, not ACE.

The ACE fans will come back and say I'm full of shit. Ok, fine, so why
is TPR the biggest club out there now? Doesn't matter if it's free to
join, Robb makes his money selling the DVDs and he's doing it for fun.

Wouldn't it be nice if ACE had some DVDs to sell?
Wouldn't it be nice if ACE had the most active forum?
Wouldn't it be nice if ACE had respect from the parks?
Wouldn't it be nice if ACE had more events?

steelforce

Sep 8, 2006, 10:51:11 AM9/8/06

nogodforme wrote:

> Wouldn't it be nice if ACE had some DVDs to sell?

They have sales tables at many of their major events, I've got some
great DVDs from Eastcoaster.

> Wouldn't it be nice if ACE had the most active forum?

Why should they? they're about putting a positive light on our hobby.
They're not about the constant bitching and complaining and condoning
of rule breaking seen here and elsewhere.

> Wouldn't it be nice if ACE had respect from the parks?

The parks respect ACE more than ever, because ACE cares about and
respects parks.

> Wouldn't it be nice if ACE had more events?

If they had more members that volunteer (rather than sit and bitch),
they just might. the mid atlantic area has a new rep and she has
several assistants, they have done more in the past 6 months than all
of the last reps did in the last 10 years. If your ACE region has do
nothing reps SAY SOMETHING. (to ACE, not on here)

But, ultimately if you're not a member of ACE you have no business
bitching about what they do or don't do. Join! then you have every
right to complain, or be one of the MANY happy members.

TeknoScorpion

Sep 8, 2006, 11:03:39 AM9/8/06
Ah. I thought that was what you were saying, but it just didn't read
right. But I do agree.

TeknoScorpion

Sep 8, 2006, 11:09:22 AM9/8/06
> Why should they? they're about putting a positive light on our hobby.
> They're not about the constant bitching and complaining and condoning
> of rule breaking seen here and elsewhere.

Um, Hi mr. Kettle.

> But, ultimately if you're not a member of ACE you have no business
> bitching about what they do or don't do. Join! then you have every
> right to complain, or be one of the MANY happy members.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. I have every right to complain about an
organization that I'm not a member of. I complain about the reasons I
am Not a member. And a lot of that has to do with ACE officials. I'll
complain all I want, because last I recall, I don't need your
permission to complain. ACE doesn't need my permission to suck, so it
evens out. I'd like to have joined at one point, but the reasons I
haven't are the reasons I complain about. Don't expect me to stop.

If you don't want to hear people complain, Just leave. Like you did
Coasterbuzz. Oh, no. Wait. You got banned from there. Nevermind.
Perhaps you shouldn't complain about Buzz anymore, since, you know,
you're not a member.

Later Kettle.

Rastus O'Ginga

Sep 8, 2006, 12:02:25 PM9/8/06
On 8 Sep 2006 04:57:09 -0700, "slithernoggin"
<slithe...@gmail.com> wrote:

That's horseshit. There are plenty of other people that would do the
work, and do run. The current EC don't possess unique skills that no
one else in ACE has. They just know that being in the EC gets them
free coaster trips every year, and that is worth protecting.

deadand...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2006, 1:14:53 PM9/8/06
> That's horseshit. There are plenty of other people that would do the
> work, and do run. The current EC don't possess unique skills that no
> one else in ACE has. They just know that being in the EC gets them
> free coaster trips every year, and that is worth protecting.

The world cries out for your help in providing a totally not gay
coaster club, Jason. You need to do something about that. I mean, if
Sam Marks can run a club, certainly you possess the capacity to do so,
right? Perhaps Robb needs someone to help him with his tour service?

Rastus O'Ginga

Sep 8, 2006, 2:24:24 PM9/8/06
On 8 Sep 2006 10:14:53 -0700, deadand...@gmail.com wrote:

>The world cries out for your help in providing a totally not gay

>coaster club. You need to do something about that. I mean, if

>Sam Marks can run a club, certainly you possess the capacity to do so,
>right? Perhaps Robb needs someone to help him with his tour service?

I've written pleny of articles for DAFE. Robb has plenty of helpers
that all live in the same city as him. Elissa seems to be a master
tour planner.

vince

Sep 8, 2006, 5:44:15 PM9/8/06
In article <1157716629....@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,

No joke. See my homeowner's association for proof. People want
the world from the non-paid officers yet would never volunteer
for anything. Most people suck.
--
vince
/***** Visit the Home of the Rancid Tofu Experience *****/

deadand...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2006, 6:25:33 PM9/8/06

Rastus O'Ginga wrote:
> On 8 Sep 2006 10:14:53 -0700, deadand...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> >The world cries out for your help in providing a totally not gay
> >coaster club. You need to do something about that. I mean, if
> >Sam Marks can run a club, certainly you possess the capacity to do so,
> >right? Perhaps Robb needs someone to help him with his tour service?
>
> I've written pleny of articles for DAFE. Robb has plenty of helpers
> that all live in the same city as him. Elissa seems to be a master
> tour planner.

So you contribute articles...uh, what does that have to do with running
a coaster club? "No Homos Coaster Club," man. That's a great name. That
way, you can have one gay person to show diversity. Hop to it. You're
wasting our time.

Matt Crowther

Sep 8, 2006, 6:56:42 PM9/8/06
Jason, Jason, Jason. You are so predictable. I and others have tried and
tried to penetrate that extremely dense cranium of yours, but that task
is obvously hopeless. For one final and likely futile time- NONE of the
ACE exec committee members are on the board in order to get these
largely fictional "A List" perks you keep foaming at the mouth about. I
have been on the committee now for quite a while, and I will tell
everyone willing to listen (not you obviously)- they volunteer to serve
on the committee BECAUSE THEY ARE GENUINELY INTERESTED IN THE CLUB'S
WELL BEING! There are no ulterior motives, vast conspiracies or anything
remotely sinister going on. Do we make mistakes? Sure. Is the club run
perfectly? No, of course not. But for the most part, the ACE committees
I have served on have been comprised of extremely hard working and
dedicated folks who put in THOUSANDS of hours of their own UNPAID time
in order to keep the club functioning. I am confident this will continue
to be the case, regardless of your continued nattering negativism.

Rastus O'Ginga

Sep 8, 2006, 6:58:35 PM9/8/06

Sorta like ACE has one member of the EC with kids (you know, the very
reason theme parks are made) to show diversity?

Rastus O'Ginga

Sep 8, 2006, 6:59:50 PM9/8/06
On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 16:44:15 -0500, vi...@fnord.io.com (vince) wrote:

>In article <1157716629....@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
>slithernoggin <slithe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It is
>>> always the same people holding all of the positions.
>>
>>Some people are willing to do the work to make a club run. Some people
>>aren't. Since the latter greatly outnumber the former, you see the same
>>people in various positions. That's not something exclusive to ACE.
>
>No joke. See my homeowner's association for proof. People want
>the world from the non-paid officers yet would never volunteer
>for anything. Most people suck.

You mean the people that run HOAs so they can get in cahoots with
lawyers and steal houses from old people and folks that miss one
payment for dues? Yeah, they're great people.

Rastus O'Ginga

Sep 8, 2006, 7:06:54 PM9/8/06
On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 22:56:42 GMT, Matt Crowther
<mcro...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> For one final and likely futile time- NONE of the
>ACE exec committee members are on the board in order to get these
>largely fictional "A List" perks you keep foaming at the mouth about. I
>have been on the committee now for quite a while, and I will tell
>everyone willing to listen (not you obviously)- they volunteer to serve
>on the committee BECAUSE THEY ARE GENUINELY INTERESTED IN THE CLUB'S
>WELL BEING! There are no ulterior motives, vast conspiracies or anything
>remotely sinister going on. Do we make mistakes? Sure. Is the club run
>perfectly? No, of course not. But for the most part, the ACE committees
>I have served on have been comprised of extremely hard working and
>dedicated folks who put in THOUSANDS of hours of their own UNPAID time
>in order to keep the club functioning. I am confident this will continue
>to be the case, regardless of your continued nattering negativism.

Back when Buck was talking to me, he'd chime in here and list examples
of how you abuse your power. Those were the good old days. Of
course, even without him reiterating those points, it doesn't mean you
haven't used your position on MANY occasion to get perks. And what do
you do for that? You get free trips every year to EC meetings and
IAAPA. You get free entry to any ACE event. And of course the A-list
invites and chotchkis. To earn these, you get on RRC and ask for
information on closing parks and coasters. Yeah, boy, ACE could
barely function without your enormous contributions. Those thousands
of unpaid hours you spend for the club. Tell me, does that include
the private ride sessions you get on coasters?

My complaints be tired. But they are no more tired than the same
member of the EC in ACE. And they sure aren't as tired as the whole
martyr angle that so many EC members like to use. As I've said so
many times, payment does not have to be in the form of a check.

Read this thread, when's the last time I posted an anti-ACE comment
that was followed by many people agreeing with it? SOme of those
people being folks that I am hardly old pals with.

slithernoggin

Sep 8, 2006, 9:13:07 PM9/8/06

Rastus O'Ginga wrote:

> That's horseshit. There are plenty of other people that would do the
> work, and do run. The current EC don't possess unique skills that no
> one else in ACE has. They just know that being in the EC gets them
> free coaster trips every year, and that is worth protecting.

The only horseshit here is yours.

There are plenty of other people that would do the work? Then why don't
they? What's holding them back?

Most, if not all, of the people on the EC did not just take it into
their heads one day to run. They started years ago, doing boring grunt
work, and proved themselves willing to do the work, and proved
themselves to be reliable.

deadand...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2006, 10:25:13 PM9/8/06
> Sorta like ACE has one member of the EC with kids (you know, the very
> reason theme parks are made) to show diversity?

I don't know. Do they? I already said I haven't been in the club for
years. Like I said, get to starting the new club. NHCC could do great
business in Coeur D'Alene.

Rastus O'Ginga

Sep 8, 2006, 10:56:59 PM9/8/06
On 8 Sep 2006 18:13:07 -0700, "slithernoggin"
<slithe...@gmail.com> wrote:

For what?

Face it, Robb, Elissa, Dan, and a couple of other people do basically
everything the entire EC does. Plus, they don't outsource anything.
And they don't charge ANYTHING. Just what the fuck are these people
in ACE proving? The amusement industry fan base flew right past ACE.
I'm not sure what sort of grunt work is needed to run an old lathargic
enthusiast group. I'm inclined to think most everything ACE does now
is grunt work. It's more and more becoming an EC spending a few
hundred thousand a year on whatever they want. ANd they won't give
their members a balance sheet that actually shows where the money
goes.

It's pretty funny. I've been lambasted for years about how I was so
wrong about ACE. How I was just hurting the club, and not
volunteering. I just didn't understand. Now, 5 years later, ACE has
been basically ran into oblivion by an EC that collectively had their
heads up their asses. ACE News seems to have been disbanded. Which
is about time, but where is that money going? TPR has trips to parks,
and they have ERT on the coasters people want to ride. ACE continues
to hold ERT sessions on Vekoma Hang-n-Bangs and other rides whose
longest lines of the year are during ACE ERT. Oh, but I was just so
wrong in criticizing ninnies like Gary Baker.

Let's face it, ACE events are attended by the same block of people
that vote for the same folks every two years, and yes, the majority of
them are single gay men. The vast majority of events nationwide are
NOT ACE events. ACE seems to serve very little purpose. They hold a
Con every year that is a con. The EC gets to go for free, and
everyone else has to put up a mortgage payment to get 7 am ERT on a
roller skater and a boomerang.

The regional reps do a decent job, at least in Texas, but they get a
pittance of the membership dues even though they provide their region
with much more value than the EC does.

ACE can provide one thing now to the amusement industry,add that's
preservation. Everything else is fairly moot, and is done by tons of
other websites and such. Yeah, many of those websites are
self-important trash. But others, collectively rcdb, Theme Park
Review, and Screamscape provide everything else that ACE ever
provided. And they do it in digital media, something that ACE seems
to be afraid of. Either that, or they're too stupid to use a
computer.

slithernoggin

Sep 8, 2006, 11:32:47 PM9/8/06
Why are you a member?

Locoboy

Sep 8, 2006, 11:59:56 PM9/8/06
"Keith Hopkins" <suss...@sssssssssgmail.ssssssssscom> wrote
in message news:12g0o2d...@corp.supernews.com...

> I thought it was because you post drunk.

I thought that it was because it's all an act.

KeRu60

Sep 9, 2006, 1:00:51 AM9/9/06
>Rastus O'Ginga wrote:
>So, ACE gets another president in the Jan Kiser mold: not too
>friendly, no kids, and sorta homely. So, we can look forward to at
>least 4 more years of gay-centric ACE goodness.

then there are people like me....

I could give a rats ass about the politics of ACE. I could care less
how many gay, fat, homely, nerdy geeks are in ACE. I really don't care
about who gets perks and who doesn't. Why should I care? ACE doesn't
rule the country or my life. It's a freakin' hobby man!! Watch any TPR
video made by Robb and his gay entourage is right there with him in
practically every one. So what!! The videos are great regardless.
Sounds like you are really hung up on this gay thing.....just chill out
and enjoy your coasters and quit worrying about it.
Ken

BaSSiStiSt

Sep 9, 2006, 2:06:28 AM9/9/06
On 8 Sep 2006 20:32:47 -0700, "slithernoggin"
<slithe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Why are you a member?

I don't know what's funnier: that he keeps complaining about the same
old stuff, or that he keeps paying 50 bucks a year to have something
to complain about!!!

Jason: most of the folks at TPR don't know your history of insulting
everyone on here and in ACE...additionally, they would embrace the
anti-gay and anti-ACE rhetoric wholeheartedly. Also, your wealth of
riding experience and friendship with "King Alvey" would make you a
hero to legions of 17-year olds. Maybe the time has come to quit ACE,
quit RRC, and embrace your destiny?

Seriously...think about it. You'd save $50, probably save yourself an
ulcer worrying about all the perks you're not getting from ACE, and
you (and all of us here) would enjoy an improved on-line experience.
The time has come.

Mike Miller

Life begins at the ACE buffet

Ricky Summersett

Sep 9, 2006, 2:12:05 AM9/9/06

I somewhat agree with this.
I have been a member of many hobby and life oriented organizations and
there often seems to be a "club" of the same people year after year who
desire to really invest in the organization.
I have a few complaints about ACE but ultimately I enjoyed my
membership that lasted from 1981 until 2003 (?). I would rejoin without
any problem but I just don't have the need or desire to right now, plus
I'm back in college, have huge financial obligations, and really can't
afford the $50/year (or whatever it is now) for membership.

Ricky

deadand...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2006, 10:45:22 AM9/9/06
> I don't know what's funnier: that he keeps complaining about the same
> old stuff, or that he keeps paying 50 bucks a year to have something
> to complain about!!!
>
> Jason: most of the folks at TPR don't know your history of insulting
> everyone on here and in ACE...additionally, they would embrace the
> anti-gay and anti-ACE rhetoric wholeheartedly. Also, your wealth of
> riding experience and friendship with "King Alvey" would make you a
> hero to legions of 17-year olds. Maybe the time has come to quit ACE,
> quit RRC, and embrace your destiny?
>
> Seriously...think about it. You'd save $50, probably save yourself an
> ulcer worrying about all the perks you're not getting from ACE, and
> you (and all of us here) would enjoy an improved on-line experience.
> The time has come.

Jason could be loved instead of hated. Positive attention! Its for
everyone's benefit. He could even try to take credit for RRC's decline
in posting.

Fire

Sep 9, 2006, 12:19:34 PM9/9/06

TecknoScorpion, a coaster enthusiast who complains about others due to
jealousy about their travels. Here are some of his whiny rants:

Every time I plan and spend and get ready for a coaster trip, every
thing else stops me from going. No HWN for me, and from this point
on, I'm not going to any other parks this summer. Makes it easier
that way, I don't spend money, and that way since I'm at everyone
else's mercy anyhow with my time, I don't get all invested in something

just to cancel yet again at the last minute. Everyone else have fun!

I can't go anywhere, I can't do anything, and there are days that I
would never even tell them about that I've went without eating more
than maybe a sandwich a day. I never seem to get a break.

TecknoScorpion then used some of his spared time at home to compose the
following personal attack on a fellow coaster enthusiast. Here is the
accompanying post in all of its grammatical glory:

Recently you may have saw a 'debate' on Buzz about powered coasters
(and how they are NOT coasters). It prompted me to write an article.
I knew when writing it that it could very well go unpublished as it was

most definitly a personal 'attack' on one of ACE's biggest tools.

Well, it got published anywho. But because they didn't want another
flame war with Seifert (if you don't know, nevermind), they edited it
and
took refrences to Seifert out. Which is Absolutely Okay with me, I knew
the consequences of writing such a personal artical. But...I thought
the original was funny, so here it is in it's unedited (and I mean that
grammatically and linguisticly [sp?] as well).

And here is the article in question:

Jeffery Seifert, coaster enthusiast and former winner of Absolutely
Reliable
News and Rumors' 'Tool of the Century' award due to his undying
loyalty to
a fellow Neo-Nazi ACE member has finally, after years of debate among
coaster enthusiasts, laid down the law on counting powered coasters in
your track record.

"Well, you see, powered coasters can't be considered coasters
because at no time, not even when going down a hill, is gravity ever
used" said Mr. Seifert in a recently exclusive interview to ARN&R
sources.

"And as much as I claim to like RCDB, I'm sorry to announce that
from this point on, it is considered contraband to all ACE members.
Anyone who uses RCDB.com to determine what are coasters and can be
counted in their track record will be executed. If you have ever used
RCDB.com to determine your track record, or if you currently or have
ever counted powered coasters in your track record, you will not only
be barred from ACE membership, but we intend to demand that the supreme
court find you guilty of treason and execute you immediately."

"You will never convince me...that a powered Dragon Wagon is a
coaster, I've written books and stuff! I know what is and isn't."
Said Seifert in a recent post on www.adbuzz.com. "And not only that,
but the Kangaroo at Kennywood will no longer be referred to as a
'Flying Coaster'. It neither flies, nor coasts. We are hereby
boycotting Kennywood as well."

Other sources have indicated that Seifert plans to approach congress
with the new ACE enforced law. We're sure Mr. Seifert will simply
post another link to his website in an edited post with personal
information and pictures of our children and families, as well as post
the information on the NAMBLA.com message boards in response to this
article.

Congratulations to TechnoScorpion for sustaining the high standards of
the West Virginia Educational System. It would also be encouraging to
us if he would use some of his stay-at-home time to raise his
communication skills. It is no wonder that he can't get a well-paying
job. Take some remedial English classes and experience the world. You
will always look ridiculous when you live with your parents.

TeknoScorpion

Sep 9, 2006, 7:41:26 PM9/9/06

LOL, Fire. Why not hide behind a fake name and come out? Oh. Right.
Cause you're either breaking in to a private site you shouldn't be in,
or you know you'll get booted from said site for posting stuff from
there.

That article? I sent that in to ARN&R hoping they'd publish it. They
passed, not me. I wrote it. I have no problem admitting I wrote it.
My initials are in the actual article that was published.

So c'mon and show yourself. Don't be like me and hide anything! Oh,
and spell my screen name correctly.

coasterfanatic

Sep 9, 2006, 7:57:38 PM9/9/06

It's not me!

Just so I don't get blamed this time :)

Chuck

TeknoScorpion

Sep 9, 2006, 8:56:47 PM9/9/06

Actually, chuck, I know it isn't you. And I appreciate your honesty.
I know exactly who it is.

coasterfanatic

Sep 9, 2006, 9:12:52 PM9/9/06

TeknoScorpion wrote:
> Actually, chuck, I know it isn't you. And I appreciate your honesty.
> I know exactly who it is.

Well, finally I can say Im over it. We've had about 5 get togethers of
our own and just going on with life.

Yeah, I was sore but I hold not grudges.

Chuck

coasterfanatic

Sep 9, 2006, 9:14:07 PM9/9/06

Well I know Scoobies is. I bet the kid is nuts visiting a park that
doesn't have a Intamin.

Chuck, who actually bets he has fun without THE GODS.

TeknoScorpion

Sep 9, 2006, 9:19:21 PM9/9/06
BTW, Fire, My father spent many years fighting fires and investigating
Arson. He's a much better man than you. He has the courage to stand
up to the Fire. Guess I get that from him.

TeknoScorpion

Sep 9, 2006, 9:20:52 PM9/9/06
Likewise. And not only that, you never hid behind another name on RRC.
You always had the courage to at least say it to my face.

Ricky Summersett

Sep 10, 2006, 2:30:19 PM9/10/06

TeknoScorpion wrote:

> you never hid behind another name on RRC.

Just out of curiosity, what is your name?

Ricky

TeknoScorpion

Sep 10, 2006, 6:18:05 PM9/10/06
Clint. I figured most people that know me knew that by now :-).

Rob Ascough

Sep 11, 2006, 9:55:57 AM9/11/06
"Rastus O'Ginga" <ras...@kingwoodXXXXXcable.net> wrote in message

> Back when Buck was talking to me, he'd chime in here and list examples
> of how you abuse your power. Those were the good old days. Of
> course, even without him reiterating those points, it doesn't mean you
> haven't used your position on MANY occasion to get perks. And what do
> you do for that? You get free trips every year to EC meetings and
> IAAPA. You get free entry to any ACE event. And of course the A-list
> invites and chotchkis. To earn these, you get on RRC and ask for
> information on closing parks and coasters. Yeah, boy, ACE could
> barely function without your enormous contributions. Those thousands
> of unpaid hours you spend for the club. Tell me, does that include
> the private ride sessions you get on coasters?
>
> My complaints be tired. But they are no more tired than the same
> member of the EC in ACE. And they sure aren't as tired as the whole
> martyr angle that so many EC members like to use. As I've said so
> many times, payment does not have to be in the form of a check.
>
> Read this thread, when's the last time I posted an anti-ACE comment
> that was followed by many people agreeing with it? SOme of those
> people being folks that I am hardly old pals with.

I was going to stay out of this one but I feel the urge to chime in. While
I have been pretty satisfied as an ACE member since 1990 and will continue
to remain a member for the forseeable future, I do see some of the problems
that Jason mentions. Whether you agree with him or not on a regular basis,
a lot of what he says makes sense.

First of all, I would like to acknowledge that there are many ACE volunteers
that obviously care very much about what they do. I can't begin to describe
how much ACE publications have improved in recent years- they went from
being fairly generic things that appeared sporadically to very
professional-looking affairs that arrive on time more often than not.
Having served as the editor for a small enthusiast publication for the past
two years, I have the utmost respect for the ACE publications staff because
serving as an editor is NOT an easy task. I also respect a LOT of regional
reps (like Dana and Joe in NJ) because they do a tremendous job with what
probably amounts to very few resources.

That said, I question the validity of Matt's claim that ALL ACE volunteers
are in it solely because they are passionate about the club. Very often
people have ulterior motives and if the things that Jason says are true
(free trips to EC meetings, free trips to IAAPA, free admission to ACE
events), I am sure that there are some EC people that are doing it for the
perks. That's just human nature. And it's also unfair. Regardless of what
a volunteer does and how important they are to the club, they should have to
pay their way to things just like everyone else. I'm sure EC meetings are
important but IAAPA? That makes no sense to me. And why the free admission
to events? Those things are ridiculously expensive (and are a lot less
appealing than they once were) and everything should be done to reduce costs
for members, not add to them. I'm sorry but that's just not right.

In the past few years, I have wondered how committed ACE is to it's original
goals. People wondered about the formation of the Wood Coaster Fan Club,
and while I stand by our claim that it was not a blatant insult to ACE, I'd
be lying if I said that I didn't question if preservation is still one of
ACE's priorities. What happened to the flyers in mailings asking ACE
members to write to parks to try and get a coaster saved, or at least create
awareness of coasters that are in trouble? If ACE has a preservation
director, why do we never hear from him? Why was a so-called "preservation
conference" held at Six Flags Elitch Gardens a few years back? Lakeside was
a good idea but SFEG??? Did we already forget that the original Elitch
Gardens, with its two classic wood coasters, was demolished once a new park
opened with a neutered version of one of the most storied rides in amusement
history? I don't care if the ownership of the park changed, it was the
whole point of the matter. Nothing about SFEG ever said "preservation" and
holding a preservation conference there did a lot to discredit the whole
idea. ACE seems more concerned with gathering stuff for the fictional
"Roller Coaster Museum". That's great. By the time the museum actually
opens, there will be no classic wood coasters left. They will have all
disappeared! But at least we can look at the lead cars of our old favorites
in the museum... that will surely ease the pain, right?

I think a change in leandership is required, but I don't know what should be
done. I get the impression that a lot of people would like to run for some
kind of office but are hesitant to because they see the leadership of the
club is a clique. It's the same people revolving around the EC in cycles
and not only does it convey the wrong image (the same dozen people
representing 8,000+) but it makes change hard to come by. There are some
rules that need to be changed but also some people that need to step down
and get out of the cycle for the good of the club.

Just my thoughts...

--
The Wood Coaster Fan Club-
Sharing a passion for the classics since 2004

Rastus O'Ginga

Sep 11, 2006, 11:24:02 AM9/11/06

Rob Ascough wrote:

> First of all, I would like to acknowledge that there are many ACE volunteers
> that obviously care very much about what they do. I can't begin to describe
> how much ACE publications have improved in recent years- they went from
> being fairly generic things that appeared sporadically to very
> professional-looking affairs that arrive on time more often than not.
> Having served as the editor for a small enthusiast publication for the past
> two years, I have the utmost respect for the ACE publications staff because
> serving as an editor is NOT an easy task. I also respect a LOT of regional
> reps (like Dana and Joe in NJ) because they do a tremendous job with what
> probably amounts to very few resources.

Yep, a lot of work is done. The TX regional reps are quite good, too.
Publications have seemed to slow down a bit lately. And after my many
complaints, the colors in RC! actually look right again. But really,
ACE News is worthless, and should be eliminated to get rid of the time
and money spent on it.

> That said, I question the validity of Matt's claim that ALL ACE volunteers
> are in it solely because they are passionate about the club. Very often

> people have ulterior motives and if the things that Rastus says are true

> (free trips to EC meetings, free trips to IAAPA, free admission to ACE
> events), I am sure that there are some EC people that are doing it for the
> perks.

Absolutely. And, unless things have changed recently, all those things
are true. It was only recently that EC members get into events free.
THere is no rational explanation for them passing that rule except that
the majority of the EC (since a majority were needed to pass the rule)
are in it for the perks.

> That's just human nature. And it's also unfair. Regardless of what
> a volunteer does and how important they are to the club, they should have to
> pay their way to things just like everyone else. I'm sure EC meetings are
> important but IAAPA? That makes no sense to me. And why the free admission
> to events? Those things are ridiculously expensive (and are a lot less
> appealing than they once were) and everything should be done to reduce costs
> for members, not add to them. I'm sorry but that's just not right.

Even the EC meetings are borderline boondoggles. They aren't sometimes
held in Orlando because that is central to all the members. And the
IAAPA thing is ludicrous. But a quick check on Google will show the
usual ACE-kissers saying how important it is, usually citing how much
info Lisa Schienin gets from parks there. Of course no mention of how
she travels the world, uses ACE funds for phone calls to help plan her
visits, and then does really nothing for the club since rcdb is the
gold standard of coaster lists.

> In the past few years, I have wondered how committed ACE is to it's original
> goals. People wondered about the formation of the Wood Coaster Fan Club,
> and while I stand by our claim that it was not a blatant insult to ACE, I'd
> be lying if I said that I didn't question if preservation is still one of
> ACE's priorities. What happened to the flyers in mailings asking ACE
> members to write to parks to try and get a coaster saved, or at least create
> awareness of coasters that are in trouble? If ACE has a preservation
> director, why do we never hear from him? Why was a so-called "preservation
> conference" held at Six Flags Elitch Gardens a few years back? Lakeside was
> a good idea but SFEG??? Did we already forget that the original Elitch
> Gardens, with its two classic wood coasters, was demolished once a new park
> opened with a neutered version of one of the most storied rides in amusement
> history? I don't care if the ownership of the park changed, it was the
> whole point of the matter. Nothing about SFEG ever said "preservation" and
> holding a preservation conference there did a lot to discredit the whole
> idea. ACE seems more concerned with gathering stuff for the fictional
> "Roller Coaster Museum". That's great. By the time the museum actually
> opens, there will be no classic wood coasters left. They will have all
> disappeared! But at least we can look at the lead cars of our old favorites
> in the museum... that will surely ease the pain, right?

ANd like I said earlier, that's really about the only thing ACE is
needed for now. They are no longer the sole source of coaster info for
enthusiasts, and aren't even in the top 5. And I'm sorry, but I just
think the museum is a pipedream. Yeah, maybe some day I'll be proven
wrong, but as you say, we should be working on preserving the coasters,
not on preserving the lead cars. I've said it before, but until Cedar
Fair, or Bill Gates, or someone else forks over a few million bucks for
the museum, it's never going to exist except in some form that shows up
on kitschy TV shows where Matt Crowther will be dressed in clothes made
entirely of patches as he gives a tour of the 1000 square foot museum,
and has a twinkle of insanity in his eyes from the loneliness of being
the curator.

> I think a change in leandership is required, but I don't know what should be
> done. I get the impression that a lot of people would like to run for some
> kind of office but are hesitant to because they see the leadership of the
> club is a clique. It's the same people revolving around the EC in cycles
> and not only does it convey the wrong image (the same dozen people
> representing 8,000+) but it makes change hard to come by. There are some
> rules that need to be changed but also some people that need to step down
> and get out of the cycle for the good of the club.

At this point, I don't EVER see leadership changing. The current EC is
fairly young, and fully realize the perks they are going to get for
life as long as they stay in charge. Carole did some good things, but
I think that time is over. BIll L is now back in the EC, so he can
replace Mark when his 4 years are up. Each election, the non-click
folks get 4-700 votes, and the winners get around 1000 votes. There is
never a close election. They WERE working on a new rule to make it
harder to run for office, requiring volunteer time. This would have
made it even harder to break teh current stranglehold. I need to get
some EC meeting minutes to see where that ended up. YOu know, since
they share absolutely no real information unless you ask for it. And
even then, they won't share economic information.

I really need to join your club.

Rastus O'Ginga

AirtimeJunkie

Sep 11, 2006, 11:32:24 AM9/11/06

Very well said, Rob. I agree with most of your comments. When I first
learned of ACE in the 1979-80 issue of Roller Coaster Fever, I joined
because it seemed their primary goal was the preservation of the wooden
roller coaster. According to the Roller Coaster Fever magazine, it
seems that ACE's primary goal was to "pursue preservation and
conservation." Now is seems ACE is all about expensive conferences and
ERT.

While I feel the ACE regional reps in the bay area have done pretty
well over the years, I think that more could be done. It seems that
ACE is always waiting around for another coaster to open before they
get together as a group. About 5-6 years ago, I used to organize
informal gatherings at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk just to get
together and enjoy the park and being with each other. Those informal
gatherings were A BLAST! I sort of felt that our local ACE reps
weren't really doing all that they could. In fact, I even announced
these informal gatherings on RRC and NOT ONCE did the local ACE rep
show up, not once. He was always "too busy." You can take that for
what it is worth.

I heard it through the grapevine that the local ACE rep might be
replaced soon. I think Rob's suggestion that some people (even from
the EC) should step down and give others a chance is an excellent idea,
and I think Rob hit the nail right on the head when he said that people
are probably hesitant to run for an office when there is so much of a
clique in the EC. If, in fact, anyone from ACE is getting from
admission to the cons and free admission/airfare to IAPPA, that is just
plain wrong. When I organized Coaster Alley Convergence at Silverwood
for three years, NOT ONCE did I go for free. I paid for my airfare,
lodging, hotel, entrance fee to the park and event fee.

While I'm no longer a member of ACE, I wouldn't hesitate to join again
if I saw things turning around. Based on some of the posts in this
thread, there are others who joined years ago and have also given up on
the club. That is really sad. I've learned over the years that I
don't need to be a member of ACE to enjoy roller coasters, but I feel
badly that the club has become what it is.

Good luck, ACE.

Kevin Coley

Rob Ascough

Sep 11, 2006, 12:22:19 PM9/11/06
"Rastus O'Ginga" <ras...@kingwoodcable.net> wrote in message

> Yep, a lot of work is done. The TX regional reps are quite good, too.
> Publications have seemed to slow down a bit lately. And after my many
> complaints, the colors in RC! actually look right again. But really,
> ACE News is worthless, and should be eliminated to get rid of the time
> and money spent on it.

Well, Iim not sure about that. In recent years, I have enjoyed ACE News a
lot more than RC, although RC has become a lot better in a very short amount
of time. Mark Davidson should be proud of ACE News because it is really
well done. When working on a blueprint for Timber Tales I constantly looked
to ACE News for inspiration. Going by the nice comments I hear regarding
Timber Tales, I see it was a wise idea. That said, maybe it is time to
merge the publications to save on costs?

> Absolutely. And, unless things have changed recently, all those things
> are true. It was only recently that EC members get into events free.
> THere is no rational explanation for them passing that rule except that
> the majority of the EC (since a majority were needed to pass the rule)
> are in it for the perks.

That's just bullshit. Under no circumstances should anyone's membership
fees go towards paying for anyone elses' trips. The WCFC had an "EC"
meeting in Cleveland in January and I paid for my trip out there. The idea
of having the club pay for my travel never even crossed my mind. It was my
idea to volunteer and it was my responsibility to get my ass out there.

> ANd like I said earlier, that's really about the only thing ACE is
> needed for now. They are no longer the sole source of coaster info for
> enthusiasts, and aren't even in the top 5. And I'm sorry, but I just
> think the museum is a pipedream. Yeah, maybe some day I'll be proven
> wrong, but as you say, we should be working on preserving the coasters,
> not on preserving the lead cars. I've said it before, but until Cedar
> Fair, or Bill Gates, or someone else forks over a few million bucks for
> the museum, it's never going to exist except in some form that shows up
> on kitschy TV shows where Matt Crowther will be dressed in clothes made
> entirely of patches as he gives a tour of the 1000 square foot museum,
> and has a twinkle of insanity in his eyes from the loneliness of being
> the curator.

I like the idea of a museum because amusement parks are a part of culture
that have long gone unrecognized but I don't think it should be the
all-consuming thing that ACE seems to have made it to be. It should be one
aspect of many but instead it seems like the only thing the club is working
for. I want to be able to ride a classic roller coaster, not look at a few
rare pictures of it and weep about how it's gone.

> I really need to join your club.

Yeah you do! We'd love to have you.

Rob Ascough

Sep 11, 2006, 12:30:08 PM9/11/06

> Very well said, Rob. I agree with most of your comments. When I first
> learned of ACE in the 1979-80 issue of Roller Coaster Fever, I joined
> because it seemed their primary goal was the preservation of the wooden
> roller coaster. According to the Roller Coaster Fever magazine, it
> seems that ACE's primary goal was to "pursue preservation and
> conservation." Now is seems ACE is all about expensive conferences and
> ERT.

Whatever it is they're about, it's not preservation. At least that's not at
the top of the list.

> While I feel the ACE regional reps in the bay area have done pretty
> well over the years, I think that more could be done. It seems that
> ACE is always waiting around for another coaster to open before they
> get together as a group. About 5-6 years ago, I used to organize
> informal gatherings at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk just to get
> together and enjoy the park and being with each other. Those informal
> gatherings were A BLAST! I sort of felt that our local ACE reps
> weren't really doing all that they could. In fact, I even announced
> these informal gatherings on RRC and NOT ONCE did the local ACE rep
> show up, not once. He was always "too busy." You can take that for
> what it is worth.

It seems that a lot of responsibility shifted to the regional reps in recent
years, leaving me to wonder what the importance of the EC is for, Actually,
since they've been farming work to outside companies, it seems they're
actually responsible for very little. Like I said, Dana and Joe are great
reps. They plan some nice events and are very easy to communicate with.
I've spoken with Dana numerous times and she is very passionate about what
she does. And I doubt that ACE pays for any of her trips. I wouldn't be
surprised if she eats some of the costs on her own. I'm sure a lot of reps
do the same.

> I heard it through the grapevine that the local ACE rep might be
> replaced soon. I think Rob's suggestion that some people (even from
> the EC) should step down and give others a chance is an excellent idea,
> and I think Rob hit the nail right on the head when he said that people
> are probably hesitant to run for an office when there is so much of a
> clique in the EC. If, in fact, anyone from ACE is getting from
> admission to the cons and free admission/airfare to IAPPA, that is just
> plain wrong. When I organized Coaster Alley Convergence at Silverwood
> for three years, NOT ONCE did I go for free. I paid for my airfare,
> lodging, hotel, entrance fee to the park and event fee.

Same here. I would never expect the WCFC to pay for any trips of mine, and
I helped co-found the thing. If anything, I would pay more just to get the
club's finances in better shape. If I were attending events for free, I
would feel as though I was hurting the club, not helping it.

> While I'm no longer a member of ACE, I wouldn't hesitate to join again
> if I saw things turning around. Based on some of the posts in this
> thread, there are others who joined years ago and have also given up on
> the club. That is really sad. I've learned over the years that I
> don't need to be a member of ACE to enjoy roller coasters, but I feel
> badly that the club has become what it is.

I remain a club member but I do feel that a change is in order. Hopefully
someone will eventually get the hint?

Rastus O'Ginga

Sep 11, 2006, 2:10:38 PM9/11/06

Rob Ascough wrote:
>That said, maybe it is time to
> merge the publications to save on costs?

Definitely.

> > Absolutely. And, unless things have changed recently, all those things
> > are true. It was only recently that EC members get into events free.
> > THere is no rational explanation for them passing that rule except that
> > the majority of the EC (since a majority were needed to pass the rule)
> > are in it for the perks.
>
> That's just bullshit. Under no circumstances should anyone's membership
> fees go towards paying for anyone elses' trips. The WCFC had an "EC"
> meeting in Cleveland in January and I paid for my trip out there. The idea
> of having the club pay for my travel never even crossed my mind. It was my
> idea to volunteer and it was my responsibility to get my ass out there.

To be fair, I don't think volunteers should have to pay to go to the
meetings. Only rich people could do it then. Probably most of your
club EC lives only a few hours from Cleveland. That's not the case for
ACE, although I'd assume a majority live only a few hours from there.
Others could phone in. They even get a few nights hotel rooms. Of
course, these expenses are some of the ones that ACE will not share
with its members. THe IAAPA deal is a whole LOT of horseshit. That
isn't a weekend meeting, it's a weeklong vacation. Of course, every
year Crowther posts his ridiculous "please don't congregate at the ACE
booth, we're conducting a lot of business, please take the kiddies and
agree.

> I like the idea of a museum because amusement parks are a part of culture
> that have long gone unrecognized but I don't think it should be the
> all-consuming thing that ACE seems to have made it to be. It should be one
> aspect of many but instead it seems like the only thing the club is working
> for. I want to be able to ride a classic roller coaster, not look at a few
> rare pictures of it and weep about how it's gone.

Yep. The thing is, ACE seems to have TONS of items for the museum.
The thing would need to be many tens of thousands of square feet to
house everything. It ain't some Coke museum with a few rooms with wall
to wall signs and bottles.

> > I really need to join your club.
>
> Yeah you do! We'd love to have you.

Uh-oh, you probably just lost a few members : )

Rastus O'Ginga

David F

Sep 11, 2006, 2:27:18 PM9/11/06
On 11 Sep 2006 08:24:02 -0700, "Rastus O'Ginga"
<ras...@kingwoodcable.net> wrote:

> Each election, the non-click
>folks get 4-700 votes, and the winners get around 1000 votes. There is
>never a close election. They WERE working on a new rule to make it
>harder to run for office, requiring volunteer time. This would have
>made it even harder to break teh current stranglehold.

There is another issue here.

Have you ever received the election ballots for company boards of
directors and mutual fund boards?

The first response is who are any of these people.

Have you ever gone into the polls to vote for the President or Senator
and then be faced with the candidates for dog catcher and traffic
judge and again be wondering who these people were?

For better or worse, your alleged A list people happen to be those who
are visible by being at events and getting to know many "non-click"
members.

I know that this election was the first where an office had two
candidates with whom I have had some sort of personal experience.

With ACE being a nationwide club, unfamiliar candidates will always,
by nature of the beast, be at a disadvantage. While I see potentially
problematic inbreeding on the EC, I don't see a conspiracy.

I do agree that there is some basic unfairness if the familiarity from
attending events for some comes free. I don't see it as part of a
conspiracy, though.

Regards,
David

Remove NOSPAM to contact me.

Proud to be an Attraction Traveller:
Amusement and Theme Parks
Zoos and Aquaria
Historic Sights
Museums
Urban Centers and Urban Hiking
Unique Commercial Sights
Americana and Kitsch

I know, its a euphemism for "tourist" but I don't care!

Rob Ascough

Sep 11, 2006, 2:48:38 PM9/11/06

> To be fair, I don't think volunteers should have to pay to go to the
> meetings. Only rich people could do it then. Probably most of your
> club EC lives only a few hours from Cleveland. That's not the case for
> ACE, although I'd assume a majority live only a few hours from there.
> Others could phone in. They even get a few nights hotel rooms. Of
> course, these expenses are some of the ones that ACE will not share
> with its members. THe IAAPA deal is a whole LOT of horseshit. That
> isn't a weekend meeting, it's a weeklong vacation. Of course, every
> year Crowther posts his ridiculous "please don't congregate at the ACE
> booth, we're conducting a lot of business, please take the kiddies and
> agree.

I whole-heartedly agree that volunteers shouldn't HAVE to pay to go to EC
meetings if they're going to conduct legitimate business. I mentioned my
trip to Cleveland (where 4 of the 6 founding members of the organization
live) because I could never see myself making the club pay for that trip,
even if they did have the funds (which they don't). We found that as the
club grew, an annual gathering was needed to keep things focused and make
sure we were all on the same page as far as the club's growth was concerned.
I'm sure ACE does need some kind of annual gathering to do the same, and
surely volunteers that have to travel a great distance shouldn't be forced
to pay for that. But to have an annual meeting in Orlando? That's like the
Sam Adams Beer Club going to Boston to "discuss club matters". And that
IAAPA thing is pure crap. ACE should be represented there, but it should be
represented by people who are willing to go on their own dollar. To me it
sounds exactly like a vacation.

> Yep. The thing is, ACE seems to have TONS of items for the museum.
> The thing would need to be many tens of thousands of square feet to
> house everything. It ain't some Coke museum with a few rooms with wall
> to wall signs and bottles.

Which is fine. The more stuff, the better. But ACE should keep in mind
there are other things that need attention as well. The whole club's
mission shouldn't be to get the museum up and running, especially because
it's not even ACE's museum, right?

> Uh-oh, you probably just lost a few members : )

Nah. Besides, Rick Davis will stand up for you ;)

Rastus O'Ginga

Sep 11, 2006, 2:53:56 PM9/11/06

Rob Ascough wrote:

> Which is fine. The more stuff, the better. But ACE should keep in mind
> there are other things that need attention as well. The whole club's
> mission shouldn't be to get the museum up and running, especially because
> it's not even ACE's museum, right?

Not legally, at least. BUt I'd say that is for tax purposes or
something.

> > Uh-oh, you probably just lost a few members : )
>
> Nah. Besides, Rick Davis will stand up for you ;)

Geez, now you're giving TWO clubs membership problems in the same day!

-r

Rob Ascough

Sep 11, 2006, 2:57:39 PM9/11/06
"David F" <DocD...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> The first response is who are any of these people.

How true.

> Have you ever gone into the polls to vote for the President or Senator
> and then be faced with the candidates for dog catcher and traffic
> judge and again be wondering who these people were?
>
> For better or worse, your alleged A list people happen to be those who
> are visible by being at events and getting to know many "non-click"
> members.
>
> I know that this election was the first where an office had two
> candidates with whom I have had some sort of personal experience.

It's a vicious cycle. The people who get elected are the ones that people
know. And how do people know those people? Because they got elected.
That's why I suggested that the cycle needs to be broken. If anything, ACE
should make it more inviting for others to step up and do something, instead
of promoting a system that maintains the status quo. Certainly the
situation with Bill Linkenheimer is an example of how the system is flawed.
He served as president, which means he automatically serves as the immediate
past president. Now he got elected to another position.

> With ACE being a nationwide club, unfamiliar candidates will always,
> by nature of the beast, be at a disadvantage. While I see potentially
> problematic inbreeding on the EC, I don't see a conspiracy.

No conspiracy, although like I said, there needs to be some way to get
"lesser knowns" more involved. While I don't think the EC is purposely
keeping those people from being heard, they certainly aren't doing anything
to make it easier for them. And by doing that, those people outside the
clique are going to forever remain on the outside.

> I do agree that there is some basic unfairness if the familiarity from
> attending events for some comes free. I don't see it as part of a
> conspiracy, though.

That's a gray area. Again, it's not a conspiracy but it's definitely unfair
for a great number of reasons. In a club where people contribute
hard-earned money to keep the thing running, NO ONE should get anything that
amounts to a free ride. That gives people the right to an agenda, and
that's never a good thing.

vince

Sep 11, 2006, 5:02:47 PM9/11/06
In article <6gt3g2174eqmh996a...@4ax.com>,
Rastus O'Ginga <ras...@kingwoodXXXXXcable.net> wrote:
<snip>

You should emulate the godhatesfags church. Picket parks holding
ACE events. Here's a sign idea:

American
Cocksucking
Enthusiasts

Then you could sneak into the food prep area and sprinkle the
food with salt peter to retard the ability of homosexuals to
engage in sexual activity. Heck, you could poison everyone since
folks like me that are tolerant of homosexuals are responsible
for 911, Katrina, etc... Perhaps that would speed the coming
of the Apocalypse.

Allah akbar!
--
vince