Universal Studios Florida lawsuit

Mike Parker

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Suit Claims Haunted House Too Scary

.c The Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - A woman suing Universal Studios contends the theme park
operator's annual Halloween Horror Nights haunted house attraction was too
scary and caused her emotional distress.

The lawsuit by Cleanthi Peters, 57, also seeks compensation for injuries she
says she suffered when she visited the haunted house with her 10-year-old
granddaughter in 1998.

Ms. Peters' lawsuit contends that as she and her granddaughter were approaching
an exit, an employee with a chainsaw - minus the chain - chased them toward the
exit, causing them to slip on a wet spot on the floor.

After they fell, the lawsuit says, the employee continued his attack, crouching
over them and thrusting the chainsaw.

The ordeal left the two with unspecified physical injuries and inflicted
``extreme fear, emotional distress and mental anguish,'' said the lawsuit,
which seeks $15,000 in damages.

Peters' attorney and Universal officials declined comment. The company has not
yet filed a response to the lawsuit.

AP-NY-01-05-00 0707EST

If what they said really did happen I would have to agree with this lawsuit.
If someone slips in a haunted house, the employees should help them up, not
thrust chainsaws in their faces. Although, "unspecified physical injuries and
inflicted ``extreme fear, emotional distress and mental anguish"", usually is a
sign of just another BS lawsuit. I want to see what the outcome of this is.

Roller Coasters can teach us much about the laws of physics. Not to mention
the principles of throwing up.

(clean up the BARF to reply via e-mail) :)

Surf Dance Chris

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Sounds silly to me.
By the way, unless there really was an obvious injury, the employee should not
have left character to help the person up
"Surf Dance" Chris,
who will ride the Flip 'N' Out before any coaster!
http://members.aol.com/surfdancec
Surf Dance at Adventureland-Only super nova ride in the U.S.!
#1 Wood-Beast, 2-Riverside Cyclone; #1 Steel-Batman, 2-Hulk

CoasterKon

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
>By the way, unless there really was an obvious injury, the employee should
>not
>have left character to help the person up

I disagree. If someone slips and falls, the person (even if in character)
should be polite and help them up. It is just common courtesy. How would you
feel if you were in that same situation?

CoasterKon Conrad - proud attendee of Knoebel's for 33 years and
counting...http://www.knoebels.com/.

Marshall

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00

> I disagree. If someone slips and falls, the person (even if in character)
> should be polite and help them up. It is just common courtesy. How would
you
> feel if you were in that same situation?

The jacka$$ with the chainsaw would have gotten kicked in the nuts and then
knocked senseless.

But hey thats just me.

Marshall

DailyRich

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Kind of interesting how it took over a year for this "unspecified" damage to
become a problem....

DailyRich
"You must get dizzy with everything revolving around you like that."

FunType

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Sue for more than $15,000. At least go for a lifetime pass for both parks with
accomodations and food and front-of-the-line privilages.

Yes, help the suckers up, and bring them to the nearest gift shop to wait for the
nurse. They might see something to buy, and it keeps the maze from crowding up.

Presonally, I squirt some catsup all over, scream bloody murder and start
pulling my leg, just like i'm pulling yours right now.

Jim Topicz

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
.......and then people wonder why amusement/theme park admission prices
are so high. With bs lawsuits like this it should be quite obvious....
David H.--REMOVE "STOPSPAM" to reply <davidhh...@ibm.net> wrote in
message news:9fva7sk1f6ng3ho88...@4ax.com...

> On 06 Jan 2000 04:22:25 GMT, fpark...@aol.comBARF (Mike Parker) wrote:
>
> >Suit Claims Haunted House Too Scary
> >
> >.c The Associated Press
> >
> > ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - A woman suing Universal Studios contends the theme
park
> >operator's annual Halloween Horror Nights haunted house attraction was
too
> >scary and caused her emotional distress.
> >
> Imagine if someone sued Knott's Scary Farm for being scary! ;-)
>
> Sounds like a bull$#!+ lawsuit to me. If she was really hurt, then she
> should have tried for a settlement for her injuries. But this emotional
> distress crap for being scared by a haunted house is simply ludicrous.
>
> I have jury duty in February. If only I could get a case like this one!
> ;-)
>

> David Hamburger, dav...@ibm.net, Boston, MA
> IMPORTANT: Please remove "NOSPAMMERS" from my address when
> replying via e-mail. It's an effective effort to avoid spam.
> My top 20 steelies list: My top 10 woodies list:
> 1) Montu 11) Great Nor'Easter 1) Raven
> 2) Medusa 12) Steel Force 2) Cyclone (Coney)
> 3) Alpengeist 13) Two-Face 3) Georgia Cyclone
> 4) Kumba 14) Mamba 4) Texas Giant
> 5) Ice Dueling Dragon 15) Steel Phantom 5) Riverside Cyclone
> 6) Fire Dueling Dragon 16) Mantis 6) Phoenix
> 7) Raptor 17) Chang 7) Wild One
> 8) Magnum XL-200 18) Iron Wolf 8) Excalibur
> 9) Batman SFGAdv 19) Great Bear 9) Great White
> 10) Incredible Hulk 20) Shockwave 10) Comet (GE)
> NOTE: only the best of each steel clone is listed.

Locoboy

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
Jim Topicz wrote:

> .......and then people wonder why amusement/theme park admission prices
> are so high. With bs lawsuits like this it should be quite obvious....

Yep. I doubt that the park will lose one cent on this one. They'll
just raise the admission prices and the problem is solved...from their
perspective.

Screamscape

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
> > I disagree. If someone slips and falls, the person (even if in character)
> > should be polite and help them up. It is just common courtesy. How would
> you feel if you were in that same situation?

If your holding a buzzing chainsaw and wearing a mask, dripping with blood,
I doubt any act of "kindness" you would display would translate as such.
For all we know, the guy was standing over her to see if she was okay,
and it was just perceived as being menacing just by proximity of the chainsaw.

FRED of LA

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
dest...@indy.net (Marshall) said with great compassion:

The jacka$$ with the chainsaw would have gotten kicked in the nuts and
then knocked senseless.

___________________

Hmmmm....and if this jackass was a female?

You bein sexist, bud?

FRED of LA

Harry Face

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
Read in the paper today that a dude in prison for life is suing the
prison to try to get them to pay for hormone shots or a sex change
operation.

He feels he can't live the rest of his life as a woman trapped in a
man's body.

Dumb!!

harryface

Adrian Alban

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00

How about this headline from Miami's Herald,

"Married cousins sue over baby's disability"

As the great Dave Barry says, "I am not making this up."

Adrian Alban

My Top 5 Steel

1. The Incredible Hulk (IOA)
2. Ice Dragon (IOA)
3. Fire Dragon (IOA)
4. The Rock'n Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith (WDW)
5. Montu (BGT)

My Top 4 Wood (I haven't been on any others)

1. Gwazi Lion
2. Gwazi Tiger
3. The Great American Scream Machine (SFOG)
4. The Georgia Cyclone (SFOG)