New Kennywood coaster in 1998!!??

Wallage9

Jan 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/1/97

I heard rumors that a new coaster is coming at Kennywood in 1998 for their
100th birthday. I think Kennywood is planning something big in 1998. Can
anyone confirm the coaster part? Anyone know anything about it? Where
would they put it?

Pat Hytla

Ken Carmichael

Jan 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/1/97

In article <5ae4q3$qdv$1...@news3.microserve.net>, kbw...@csrlink.net
says...
>I've also heard the rumor that Kennywood will add a mega-woodie for
>the 1998 celebration. According to the rumor, it will be built near
>the Log Jammer (possibly replacing it). The Log Jammer is a fun ride,
>but I would gladly give it up to get a new coaster!!!!!
>
>See you in line for Pitt Fall in 97!

That rumor has been around for a while (I heard it from a maintenance
guy...). It just might be true. Did anyone notice all the new
pavilions being built behind the Log Jammer and Racer? Rumor is that
its because the old Whip building and the other pavilions along the
train will be removed for the new ride. That would also put the coaster
in a prime location to take advantage of the ravine going down to the
river.

The other possibility I heard was that the Turnpike would be removed,
and the coaster would be built along the road and extend to where the
Rotor once stood near the Gran Prix. That seems less likely.

I guess we'll all find out when they start pouring footings....
--
Ken Carmichael
Visit CHUNKERWORLD an amusement on the Web!

Kurt Williams

Jan 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/1/97

Shawn Mamros

Jan 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/1/97

carm...@aol.com (Ken Carmichael) writes:

>That rumor has been around for a while (I heard it from a maintenance
>guy...). It just might be true. Did anyone notice all the new
>pavilions being built behind the Log Jammer and Racer? Rumor is that
>its because the old Whip building and the other pavilions along the
>train will be removed for the new ride. That would also put the coaster
>in a prime location to take advantage of the ravine going down to the
>river.

When I first saw the new picnic pavillions going up, I originally thought
that it might be because they would be removing older pavillions elsewhere
to make room for a new ride. But, from what I've heard since, that's
probably not the case... apparently, Kennywood's picnic business has
been booming, and all that new pavillion space is needed. I've heard
that the old Whip building was scheduled to be destroyed when the Whip
moved, but it was spared since the folks who book picnics at Kennywood
begged for more pavillion space. It certainly seems plausible - I don't
think there's hardly any day that goes by in the season that some school/
company/group/whatever isn't having its picnic there.

>The other possibility I heard was that the Turnpike would be removed,
>and the coaster would be built along the road and extend to where the
>Rotor once stood near the Gran Prix. That seems less likely.

The Turnpike space is probably the only other obvious large space in the
park where a coaster could fit. But the Turnpike is still a popular ride,
and there really isn't another ride in the park that's similar to it
except for the Traver-built Auto Ride, which doesn't have the capacity
that the Turnpike does.

>I guess we'll all find out when they start pouring footings....

While I'd like to think that they might have the desire - and find the
space - to install another coaster, I guess I won't believe it until
the bents start to go up...

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mam...@ftp.com

Brian T Ondrey

Jan 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/2/97

Rumor alert! Rumor alert! Rumor alert!

I was reluctant to mention this since it is a bit of a ways from happening and
doesn't sound like it could be true, but I have actually heard a totally
different rumor for a new Kennywood coaster. The rumor I have heard is that
Kennywood is planning an inverted coaster that is supposed to traverse the park
(or at least parts of lost Kennywood). That didn't sound like it could be
possible when I first heard it, but then I heard it again from a completely
different source than the first time. Both sources are very reliable but I
don't wish to say much more just in case I am letting something out that I
shouldn't be (especially since one claims to have seen the plans).

Like I said, at first it didn't seem possible...it doesn't sound like
Kennywood, but then I started thinking about it. As for where you would put
the station, what about where the train sits? There is a decent amount of
space there actually, and it would be really cool if they utilized that back
hillside, like the Phantom does. And the other thing in its favor is look at
the popularity and attention all of the inverted have been getting. From a
business standpoint, an inverted coaster would be almost a guaranteed success.
And finally, Kennywood already has three great woodies and a steel sit-down
looper. We might wish to see even more woodies from a park that seems to know
how to actually take care of them (well minus the Thunderbolt this past summer)
but they are probably thinking of adding more variety for the general public.

Well, as I said, it is only a rumor...although the sources are still bothering
me since they are very trustworthy. Either way, hopefully I gave us something
else to kick around while awaiting the new season.

Happy New Coaster Year!
Brian

Ken Carmichael

Jan 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/2/97

In article <5aglc0$5...@usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu>, ond...@pitt.edu
says...
I guess it boils down to... what would we have to dream about if it
weren't for rumors? Anyway, I've heard that too. But I've done some
checking and here was the reply:

"When something is talked about in the office, it usually becomes a
rumor, and a lot of things are talked about. Nothing is really true
though until the ride is paid for."

Hmmmm... I thought that was pretty interesting. Now I'm starting to
think that there are probably plans for all of these possibilities and
its a matter of which one(s) the park decides to go with.

Wallage9

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

I doubted that Kennywood will take out the Log Jammer for a new coaster.
I still do sort, of. I doubt this for a couple reasons. (1) The decking
on the Log Jammer was replaced last year. They wouldn't have done this
unless it was a major saftey concern(doubtful). (2) The Log Jammer is a
popular ride, espically on wet days, however I always disappointed at how
dry I am when I get off.

After reading these articles, however I think it is a possibiltiy
because: (1) Kennywood seems to be moving around pavilions around the
Log Jammer. (2) It is very likely, using Kennywoods other coasters as
referance, that they will want to use the ravine to maximize thrills and
minimize costs. Kennywood saved millions building the Phantom into the
ravine. It only cost 4.3 million when comperable rides ilke Viper at
Magic Mountain cost 8 million. Also how would you like to have a 220ft+,
80mph+ inverted or wood coaster. Using the ravine, it could happen! I
also heard rumors Idlewild may get a log flume in the future. Could it be
the Log Jammer? (3) I doubt the train comes out, you got to keep something
for old people to do. Maybe seeing the new coaster will be part of the
train ride!

I doubt the new coaster will go in the front of the park. Too much money
to build with out the ravine and not enough space to build a quailty ride.

Another interesting question about the new coaster: wood or inverted?
Kennywood is very into preserving to classic rides and attractioons(eg
Jack Rabbit- 75yrs old, Racer 70yrs old, Lost Kennywood). I guess the
real question is does Kennywood try to bring back the past(wood) or step
into the future(inverted)?

By the way, Ken Carmichel are you an ACEer? Do you work at Kennywood? I
think I saw your name in a local Ace newsletter. I'm an ACEer from
Pittsburgh too! Cool!

Pat Hytla

Tim Melago

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

Brian T Ondrey wrote:

> Rumor alert! Rumor alert! Rumor alert!
>
> I was reluctant to mention this since it is a bit of a ways from happening and
> doesn't sound like it could be true, but I have actually heard a totally
> different rumor for a new Kennywood coaster. The rumor I have heard is that
> Kennywood is planning an inverted coaster that is supposed to traverse the park
> (or at least parts of lost Kennywood). That didn't sound like it could be
> possible when I first heard it, but then I heard it again from a completely
> different source than the first time. Both sources are very reliable but I
> don't wish to say much more just in case I am letting something out that I
> shouldn't be (especially since one claims to have seen the plans).

The only documented quote I have about a major new ride for 1998 is the following
from a newspaper article (Tribune Review) from last February. Kennywood's Andy Quinn
said:

"We are looking at a variety of major new rides, something in the Steel Phantom mode."

This is all I know about 1998 but I do think they will add a coaster because of the
anniversary and Kennywood being famous for its coasters. My best logical guesses are that
it will be either a woodie or an inverted coaster. A good woodie would add to KW's
reputation for wooden coasters and would celebrate it's woodie tradition. An inverted
coaster would celebrate the anniversary with a modern ride, looking toward the future.

I'd like to see them add a world class woodie that would make most people's top ten list.
A modified out-and-back woodie by CCI that also uses the terrain would be my ideal
coaster. An inverted coaster would be a fine addition, but would they go with a smaller
Vekoma SLC or a big time B&M inverted coaster? I don't know if an inverted coaster would
make as big a boom as the Steel Phantom did in '91 since the inverts have been around for
around 5 years. It would probably have to be as big as Montu or Alpengiest (or Raptor at
least) to create that kind of excitement. I think if they could build a woodie better than
Thunderbolt they would have something big. Imagine outdoing the hype the Thunderbolt has
had over the years.

I don't know anything about the land situation but it seems like there is some room where
the parking lot/ picnic basket drop-off zone is near the maintainence area (at the
back of the Jack Rabbit and Racer). It's sort of skinny but it comes close to connecting
the rumored Turnpike area and the rumored area behind the Racer and Log Jammer. Just a
thought.

* Tim Melago | H O M E P A R K S *
* roll...@sgi.net | Idlewild - Kennywood *

Wallage9

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

A new woodie or inverted is a logical choice. However anything less than
a massive B&M inverted would be a disappointment to me. Likewise any
woodie less than a Thunderbolt class or greater(if that extists) would be
a big disapointment to me. I hope the coaster is either a CCI woodie
since they are on a huge hot streak or GCI who may have started to build
up a hot streak with the Hershey Wildcat. Also a twister ride from GCI
combined with a few long drops into the ravine would provide a ride
expirence not presentally found at Kennywood, since the Racer is a racing
coaster, and the Jack Rabbit and Thunderbolt are mostly terrain coasters.
It could also make for a long ride, something also not found at Kennywood.

Noodle

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

I was just telling someone the other day about the possibility of a GCI
twister which ran its course above level ground and then became a CCI out
& back through a ravine area. I don't know if they'd like to go in
together on it like that (don't know how that would work but I suspect it
would be tricky) but maybe KW could just get one company to do both
sections. It would be a fantastic ride either way, and with an intitial
90-100 foot lift plus the ravine section you could get some good length to
the ride due to a large height difference.

Now *that* would be a worthy addition to KW! Of course, I'd take the
B&M any day too... or any new coaster for that matter! Bring 'em on...
__ ___
____| |___ _____ _| >__James A Hanson, Mechanical Engineering____________
| | | |_| < University of Maryland College Park
_| | . | | | >
__| | | | | | | | < . , ` '.`', \__\\__\\__\\__\\__\\__\
|____|_|_|_|_|_|_|___> ===================================================

"Clinkclinkclinkclink clink ...clink... WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!"
-the great American roller coaster

"Great spirits have always encountered
violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

David H.

Jan 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/12/97

On Sun, 05 Jan 1997 20:50:30 -0800, Tim Melago <roll...@sgi.net>
wrote:

>The only documented quote I have about a major new ride for 1998 is the following
>from a newspaper article (Tribune Review) from last February. Kennywood's Andy Quinn
>said:
>
>"We are looking at a variety of major new rides, something in the Steel Phantom mode."
>
>This is all I know about 1998 but I do think they will add a coaster because of the
>anniversary and Kennywood being famous for its coasters. My best logical guesses are that
>it will be either a woodie or an inverted coaster. A good woodie would add to KW's
>reputation for wooden coasters and would celebrate it's woodie tradition. An inverted
>coaster would celebrate the anniversary with a modern ride, looking toward the future.
>
>I'd like to see them add a world class woodie that would make most people's top ten list.
>A modified out-and-back woodie by CCI that also uses the terrain would be my ideal
>coaster. An inverted coaster would be a fine addition, but would they go with a smaller
>Vekoma SLC or a big time B&M inverted coaster? I don't know if an inverted coaster would
>make as big a boom as the Steel Phantom did in '91 since the inverts have been around for
>around 5 years. It would probably have to be as big as Montu or Alpengiest (or Raptor at
>least) to create that kind of excitement. I think if they could build a woodie better than
>Thunderbolt they would have something big. Imagine outdoing the hype the Thunderbolt has
>had over the years.

Well, I think that we tend to forget that the VAST majority of the
people who attend amusement parks do NOT go hopping around the country
riding coasters, like many of us do. So, while an inverted coaster
tha'd not as big as Raptor, Montu or Alpengeist may not seem like a
big deal to us, it's a VERY big deal to the GP. I mean, it rides
UNDER the track! Most of the GP haven't ridden one. After all, there
are only around a dozen of these in America, although there are at
least 5 confirmed new inverteds going up this year. And only 2
current and one new for 97 coaster are bigger than the Batman/Vekoma
SLC size. But only ONE new inverted this year will be bigger than
that. So, I suepect that they could get a LOT of hype from even a
smaller inverted. After all, the media would probably play up the
"It's like Raptor or Batman, but right here in Pittsburgh!" aspect.
Remember, the closest inverteds to Kennywood are in northern Ohio and
in New Jersey -- pretty far away. So most of Kennywood's customers
have probably never ridden an inverted coaster, or maybe have once or
twice. But now they'd have one at HOME! Of course, I suspect that
they WOULD go with a bigger model, if they were to build one.

As for the possibility of a new woodie, I would tend to doubt that
that would be the best move for a new coaster for Kennywood. They
already have 3 woodies. If they really want to maximize the hype,
publicity and word of mouth, they'd have to do something DIFFERENT.
Other than a mega-woodie, no other woodie design would probably stand
out enough from these 3 to REALLY capture the attention of the GP,
like they'd probably want to. And it seems that the days of the
mega-woodie are over. Of course, if they DID build a mega-woodie,
they'd probably get a TON of attention and hype from it!

So, if I were to advise Kennywood on what coaster to build to maximize
publicity for their anniversary, I'd have to say make it some sort of
great steelie! Either an inverted, or something really new, like a
Mr. Freeze or Superman type of ride. Of course, a Superman-type ride
would probably seem redundant after the Pitt Fall Giant Drop goes in!

THEN they should build a good woodie. But they need some more steel
first, for balance, IMHO.

David H.

"With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured,
the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us
all irrevocably." -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
"The Drumhead", _Star Trek: The Next Generation_

Me Again

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

He has been accused of this act, and providing Kiddie Porn to some. He
ALWAYS says "Were there is smoke there is Fire"....well his closet is
smoking now!

Complain to his ISP, these TYPES should NOT have use of the net to make ALL
GAYS look bad! And have access to Kids.

ab...@netcom.com
secu...@netcom.com
ad...@netcom.com
ro...@netcom.com
postm...@netcom.com

David H. <dav...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<331c06dc...@nntp.netcruiser>...

Richard Bonner

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

Me Again (webm...@burningdesire.com) wrote:
: He has been accused of this act, and providing Kiddie Porn to some. He

: ALWAYS says "Were there is smoke there is Fire"....well his closet is
: smoking now!

: Complain to his ISP, these TYPES should NOT have use of the net to make ALL
: GAYS look bad! And have access to Kids.

*** What is this about? What does it have to do with Kennywood, and why
is it on our newsgroup?

Richard Bonner

Managing Director:
The Coaster Enthusiasts of Canada
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/CEC/CEC.html

Joe Schwartz

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

ak...@chebucto.ns.ca (Richard Bonner) wrote:

> Me Again (webm...@burningdesire.com) wrote:
> : He has been accused of this act, and providing Kiddie Porn to some. He
> : ALWAYS says "Were there is smoke there is Fire"....well his closet is
> : smoking now!
>
> : Complain to his ISP, these TYPES should NOT have use of the net to make ALL
> : GAYS look bad! And have access to Kids.
>
> : ab...@netcom.com
> : secu...@netcom.com
> : ad...@netcom.com
> : ro...@netcom.com
> : postm...@netcom.com
>
> *** What is this about? What does it have to do with Kennywood, and why
> is it on our newsgroup?

It has nothing to do with Kennywood or our newsgroup. I did a little
search on Alta Vista for webm...@burningdesire.com, and I found out that
he's been waging a personal war against David H.

Personally, I have no desire to see such garbage on this newsgroup. David
is a valuable contributor here, and I respect him far more than this
idiotic spammer. I've already notified the spammer's ISP
(postm...@rangenet.com), and I recommend that others do the same.

-----------------+---------------------------------------------------------
Joe Schwartz | Come visit the Joyrides web site, a photo gallery
5 Broadway #407 | celebrating the joy and beauty of amusement rides!
Troy, NY 12180 |
x...@poboxes.com | http://www.joyrides.com/

XLR 8 more

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

I'm sorry that I missed out on most of this( I haven't been near the
computer in 2 weeks) But I must say something. having worked there I must
say that the Log Jammer and the Turnpike are two of the higher ups babys
and I can't see them taking out either. However don't get me wrong, I
would love to see a new coaster at Kennywood.

John Philip Downing

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

In article <19970115175...@ladder01.news.aol.com>
Six Flags or Disneyland would just go across the street and around the parking
lot.

Of course you could take out the Steel Phantom and put in a decent coaster, or
better yet, just take out the loops, the brake on the third hill, and take one
lap around Lost Kennywood, and, of course, get some Magnum style trains.

Noodle

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, John Philip Downing wrote:

> Six Flags or Disneyland would just go across the street and around the
> parking lot.
>
> Of course you could take out the Steel Phantom and put in a decent
> coaster, or better yet, just take out the loops, the brake on the third
> hill, and take one lap around Lost Kennywood, and, of course, get some
> Magnum style trains.

They should add an inverted coaster, boarding at the remote end of the
parking lot, as an alternative to the chair lift!

Parking would be expensive, though, if you could get a coaster ride
through the lot without paying admission! ;)

It won't happen, but it would be fun regardless...

David H.

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:49:01 -0500, Noodle <mr...@wam.umd.edu> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, John Philip Downing wrote:
>
>> Six Flags or Disneyland would just go across the street and around the
>> parking lot.
>>
>> Of course you could take out the Steel Phantom and put in a decent
>> coaster, or better yet, just take out the loops, the brake on the third
>> hill, and take one lap around Lost Kennywood, and, of course, get some
>> Magnum style trains.
>
> They should add an inverted coaster, boarding at the remote end of the
>parking lot, as an alternative to the chair lift!
>
> Parking would be expensive, though, if you could get a coaster ride
>through the lot without paying admission! ;)
>
> It won't happen, but it would be fun regardless...

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:49:01 -0500, Noodle <mr...@wam.umd.edu> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, John Philip Downing wrote:
>
>> Six Flags or Disneyland would just go across the street and around the
>> parking lot.
>>
>> Of course you could take out the Steel Phantom and put in a decent
>> coaster, or better yet, just take out the loops, the brake on the third
>> hill, and take one lap around Lost Kennywood, and, of course, get some
>> Magnum style trains.
>
> They should add an inverted coaster, boarding at the remote end of the
>parking lot, as an alternative to the chair lift!
>
> Parking would be expensive, though, if you could get a coaster ride
>through the lot without paying admission! ;)
>
> It won't happen, but it would be fun regardless...

It's a neat idea. However, either it would have to be 2-way, or
they'd have to build another ride going back to the parking lot.

After all, most of us would want multiple rides. It would be pretty
aggravating having to walk all the way back for ONE ride! Then you'd
have to walk all the way back to ride again. But that might keep the
lines down, which is good for us (and bad for business!)

Hey, I just had a great idea. There have been lots of comments out
here from people commenting that their girth is makes some rides
uncomfortable to ride. And, I'll admit that after this fall and
winter, this will probably be a problem for me next year too. Maybe
some brilliant entrepreneur will come up with the idea for the coaster
enthusiast workout plan. Hell, this could be a whole park, sort of
like a "fat farm", if you'll excluse the politically incorrect term.
I hope that no one takes offense at this!

Since that joke grew into a WAY bigger post than originally intended,
I've posted it separately, under the subject:
Gag ad: Coaster Chubbies' Challenge - new workout park for large
enthusiasts.
David H.

My top 10 coaster list:
1) Great Nor'Easter 6) Great White
tie) Raptor 7) Mantis
3) Magnum XL-200 8) Steel Phantom
4) Batman (SFGAdv) 9) Kumba
5) Cyclone (Coney Island) 10) Yankee Cannonball
RIP: Hercules

David Bowers

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

David H. wrote:

I love that idea, best ad parody i've read in a while, and its a service
that common people need.

> Hey, I just had a great idea. There have been lots of comments out
> here from people commenting that their girth is makes some rides
> uncomfortable to ride. And, I'll admit that after this fall and
> winter, this will probably be a problem for me next year too. Maybe
> some brilliant entrepreneur will come up with the idea for the coaster
> enthusiast workout plan. Hell, this could be a whole park, sort of

I fit this category pretty well, I swear the seats get thinner every
year.
> Can't you just see the ads in the enthusiast magazines and the groups'
> newsletters:
>
> Are you having trouble getting your butt into those divided deats?
> Cant't fit into those horse collars any more? Well, come to COASTER
> CHUBBIES' CHALLENGE, and ride off those pounds!
>
> Unlike parks like Cedar Point and Blackpool Pleasure Beach which just
> CRAM in rides, we have dozens of rides, NONE of which is less than 50
> yards from another one! And like many parks, we have ample fences and
> ponds to keep you from taking the shortest routes.

Sounds like Kentucky Kingdom is in charge of park layout here. (Take
the 'new' side of KK for reference)

> The designers of the Raven and the Beast bring you the best
> out-but-not-back mega-woodie terrain coaster in the world. It takes
> you WAY out into the woods, and LEAVES YOU THERE, for a pleasant
> 2-mile-long walk back. (NOTE: We take no responsibility for bear
> attacks!) We guarantee you'll lose 5 pounds on every ERT session!

2 mile walk back? that would mean a wooden coaster of 10560' to get you
out there, and it's going to be a terrain ride too, I'd love this ride
in a normal park, but that would make the 2-mile walk sort of worth it.
(It would top Steel Phantom for my "longest walk to re-ride" award)
However, with todays liability issues, we better scrap the live bears,
but some realistic audio-animatronic ones would serve to keep people's
pace up. (Contact WDI for those)

> Our 25 story freefall and our Superman clone load from the TOP, of
> course, allowing exciting views of the rides as you walk all those
> stairs, burning off those pounds!

Hey, you could throw in an Arrow Shuttle Loop in this category (without
the elevator, of course), or make an Arrow Super-Shuttle with 200' high
ends.
> Of course, we have a teacups ride, but these won't spin unless
> EVERYONE turns them!
>
> Our friends at B&M have designed a new first: the mega-standup
> coaster. Yes, this is a new 250-foot tall standup coasters that's
> even rougher on the legs than Mantis! A few rides on this and you'll
> have calves of steel!

We're going to have a normal ride here!?!?! How about the B&M Inverted^2
someone mentioned in IRC, where they hang you from ankle-cuffs upside
down, for that true inverted experience.

> And then there's our alpine slides, the best in the world. But
> there's no ski lift! Prepare to CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN to the top of
> these slides! These slides have their own first aid department at the
> bottom, for you enthusiasts who don't heed the flags warning you to
> slow down.
>
> We've also teamed up with the good people at Action Park to bring you
> a water park section -- all in the same POP -- which is built on a
> mountain. PLAN to do a LOT of walking if you plan to ride these great
> water slides. We've EXACTLY reproduced their Colorado Rapids ride,
> complete with that INCREDIBLY long walk to the top. Yes, and just
> like at Action Park, we haven't built any sort of conveyor belt for
> those big boats; you'll be CARRYING these all the way to from the end
> to the start! The water slides not on the mountain will of course
> have HUGE staircases! Needless to say, there are NO "Lazy Man River"
> rides here!

Sounds like a real water park, maybe toss in a 'Wave Pool' but only for
lap-swimming!

> We use the same food vendors as other parks, but have instructed them
> to eliminate all fatty or high calorie foods. This means that they
> don't sell ANYTHING! So you won't be eating anything while you're
> working off those pounds! But with all of our great rides, who has
> time to eat?

HOld it. if you're going to put people through that exercise regimen,
maybe we should open a food stand with items such as bottled water, rice
cakes, and other 'health foods', heck have it operated by Weight
Watchers or similar organization. Except for the water however, which
should be readily available, the other food items cost 10 times their
normal retail value.

> We have no parking facilities on-site. But, like at Great Adventure,
> we have nearby hotels about 20 miles away with ample parking! No
> shuttles are provided, but we have plenty of bicycles, wheelchairs and
> strollers for rental. And sitting on those uncomfortable bike seats
> should prepare you adequately for out stand-up coaster!

Actually, the parking shutle should work, but only to take those who
have completed their regimen at the park, to take them back to their
car. Unlike other parks, we'd have a ride-ticket system where each
operator would give you a ticket for their ride, and you couldn't leave
the park till you've collected the whole set! (Or maybe a plastic
laminated punch card, sice there are water slides involved)

The park could have Richard Simmons as it's mascot! Or maybe there
would be real exersice counselors and 'reccomened' routines. The video
arcade would be a weight room (some of those new exersice machines have
video-game like qualities. Maype have other activites posing as
games-of-skill.

I know, enough already??!!??

> So come to COASTER CHUBBIES' CHALLENGE and shed off those pounds doing
> what you love!
>
> So, where can I sign up?
I'll take a season pass also!

--
David Bowers
Mayor, Coasterville

David H.

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

Hey, I just had a great idea. There have been lots of comments out
here from people commenting that their girth is makes some rides
uncomfortable to ride. And, I'll admit that after this fall and
winter, this will probably be a problem for me next year too. Maybe
some brilliant entrepreneur will come up with the idea for the coaster
enthusiast workout plan. Hell, this could be a whole park, sort of
like a "fat farm", if you'll excluse the politically incorrect term.
I REALLY hope that no one takes any of this personally! I'm getting
there myself!

[...]

sta...@aol.com

Jan 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/18/97

dav...@ix.netcom.com (David H.) writes:

>Hey, I just had a great idea..... (rest snipped)

Hey David and others! I thought this was GREAT! Took some creative
thinking to come up with that 'gag ad' and provided a good laugh in the
early hours of the morning here in the UK, while the rest of you sleep
over there in the US !!

This is the type of thing I like to see, light-hearted fun and good people
interaction on this newsgroup, instead of all the other stuff that goes
on!!

Sheila
NAPHA Director
and Events Coordinator

Sta...@aol.com
Wild_...@juno.com
na...@sgi.net

http://www.sgi.net/napha
NAPHA: National Amusement Park Historical Association
an enthusiasts organization preserving the past since 1978

As always, standard disclaimer applies!! Those views stated
above are strictly my own, and do not represent those of
NAPHA, or of any other individual, organization, etc...

David H.

Jan 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/19/97

On 18 Jan 1997 13:20:15 GMT, sta...@aol.com wrote:

>dav...@ix.netcom.com (David H.) writes:
>
>>Hey, I just had a great idea..... (rest snipped)
>
>Hey David and others! I thought this was GREAT! Took some creative
>thinking to come up with that 'gag ad' and provided a good laugh in the
>early hours of the morning here in the UK, while the rest of you sleep
>over there in the US !!
>
>This is the type of thing I like to see, light-hearted fun and good people
>interaction on this newsgroup, instead of all the other stuff that goes
>on!!

Well, thanks!

This all snowballed in my mind after some people somewhat jokingly
suggested the idea of a roller coaster from faraway parking lots to
the main part of the park. This has been suggested both for Cedar
Point (if they move the parking lot to the mainland to give room to
expand, as rumors say they eventually will) and for Kennywood.

As to your comment about the lightheartedness been good here, I think
this group is one of the best on the internet for that. With only a
few notable recent exceptions (no comment!), people here tend to be
VERY friendly. And there's hardly a flame in site. Generally, people
only get mad when someone announces rumors as the truth. And,
strangely enough, there's just about no netcopping, yet we almost
always stay on topic. Even when we've veered somewhat off-topic --
like with the pinball thread -- we manage to keep it in a
coaster/parks context (what parks have good pinball, good arcades near
parks, coaster-themed pinball, etc.)

And we've even managed to avoid most spam here, which amazes me!