SFGA (Gurnee,IL) Announces the new ride!!

aw...@ttd.teradyne.com

Mar 30, 1992, 6:36:48 PM3/30/92
Well, I just received our season pass renewal package and I am pleased
to quote the flyers description of the new ride:

"This year, Six Flags presents the most unique thrill ride on earth.
It's the world's first and only suspended, outside-looping, nothing-
below-your-chair-but-air...roller coaster experience. If you think
you have experienced the ultimate in thrill rides, guess again.
BATMAN(tm) The Ride will change the definition of thrills. Sweeping
across the skies of GOTHAM CITY(tm), as you fly BATMAN(tm) The Ride,
you'll say, "THERE'S NOTHING LIKE IT ON EARTH!""

Sound's like good 'copy' to me! From what I can see on my way to work
they still have a way to go to finish the project. but there is still four
weeks to go until opening day. I'll report my findings after my first ride(s).

Alan

Roll on May 2nd.

Randy Vose

Mar 31, 1992, 3:27:39 PM3/31/92
In article <1992Mar30...@ttd.teradyne.com> aw...@ttd.teradyne.com writes:
> Well, I just received our season pass renewal package and I am pleased
> to quote the flyers description of the new ride:

Hmmm.... I haven't gotten mine yet. Guess I'll have to go get the mail.

> "This year, Six Flags presents the most unique thrill ride on earth.
> It's the world's first and only suspended, outside-looping, nothing-
> below-your-chair-but-air...roller coaster experience. If you think
> you have experienced the ultimate in thrill rides, guess again.
> BATMAN(tm) The Ride will change the definition of thrills. Sweeping
> across the skies of GOTHAM CITY(tm), as you fly BATMAN(tm) The Ride,
> you'll say, "THERE'S NOTHING LIKE IT ON EARTH!""

Oh GOD! Pleeeeaaaassseee..... another thrill ride marketing gimmick goes up in
smoke. BATMAN The ride??!? I think Six Flags really needs to hire some
creative people or something. We finally had a chance to get a cool new ride
and name it something totally awesome-- and they come up with BATMAN.... ugh!

> Sound's like good 'copy' to me! From what I can see on my way to work
> they still have a way to go to finish the project. but there is still four
> weeks to go until opening day. I'll report my findings after my first
ride(s).

Well, I guess we'll have to see what's like on opening day, eh? That's like
tradition for me. Haven't missed one since I was 16! (and proud of it!)

Later all...

Randy

vo...@ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu

bu...@cavlry.enet.dec.com

Mar 31, 1992, 3:35:59 PM3/31/92
>"This year, Six Flags presents the most unique thrill ride on earth.
>It's the world's first and only suspended, outside-looping, nothing-
>below-your-chair-but-air...roller coaster experience. If you think
>you have experienced the ultimate in thrill rides, guess again.
>BATMAN(tm) The Ride will change the definition of thrills. Sweeping
>across the skies of GOTHAM CITY(tm), as you fly BATMAN(tm) The Ride,
>you'll say, "THERE'S NOTHING LIKE IT ON EARTH!""

Well, at least they have announced a name for it. My sources
within SFGA were rumoring the ride to be named GOTHAM CITY FLYER,
but that wasn't a definite. BATMAN The Ride is ok, i guess.

"Robin, To the Batcoaster!"
8^)

Buck

Tom Nederost

Apr 1, 1992, 5:58:26 PM4/1/92
Well you can thank Time Warner for "BATMAN: The Ride." This is just one of the
new changes that are going on in the SIX FLAGS parks since Time Warner became
the majority owner last December. From here on out, all new major rides in
the SIX FLAGS parks will be based on new Warner Bros. movies or cartoons.

The concept is based on building synergies between Warner Bros. Studios and
the SIX FLAGS theme parks (that's what Disney has been doing for years). The
concept can work really well (ala Disney) if its executed properly. But
Bob Pittman at Time Warner is new to all this and Time Warner's approach falls
far short of Disney's. Perhaps if Time Warner would hire some good marketing
people who understand how to utilize the synergy between Warner Bros. and
Six Flags, they could start to emulate Disney's marketing success (By the
way Bob, I'm available!).

This summer SFGA gets the new ride based on the new Batman movie while all the
other SIX FLAGS parks are getting either a BATMAN stunt show or a BATMAN laser
show.

- Tom
nede...@hpcc01.corp.hp.com

Robert W Mangum II

Apr 3, 1992, 9:54:44 AM4/3/92
> "This year, Six Flags presents ... BATMAN(tm) The Ride..."

I'd like to see SpaceBalls - The Roller Coaster.

Robert

Randy Vose

Apr 3, 1992, 9:53:14 PM4/3/92
nede...@hpcc01.corp.hp.com (Tom Nederost) writes:

>Well you can thank Time Warner for "BATMAN: The Ride." This is just one of the
>new changes that are going on in the SIX FLAGS parks since Time Warner became
>the majority owner last December. From here on out, all new major rides in
>the SIX FLAGS parks will be based on new Warner Bros. movies or cartoons.

Now there's something I'd completely forgetten about! I can't wait to see
what other little surprises we're in for.

[snip Warner being like Disney]

I think Warner should recognize that their park are already associated with
their cartoon characters. It shouldn't be the main draw though. I don't
think anyone is going to be able to capitalize like Disney has. The
experience is totally different. Most of the SF parks main draws are thrill
rides-- cut and dry. I doubt people trek to Great America for the shows and
the popcorn. :) (Ok.. the shows are less expensive than the popcorn!)

>This summer SFGA gets the new ride based on the new Batman movie while all the
>other SIX FLAGS parks are getting either a BATMAN stunt show or a BATMAN laser
>show.

TACKY! TACKY! TACKY! (sorry buck!)

Randy

vo...@ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu
rjv2...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Charles Evans

Apr 6, 1992, 3:00:51 PM4/6/92
aw...@ttd.teradyne.com writes:

> Alan

> Roll on May 2nd.

sounds like the Big Bad Wolf at BG the Old Country. Wished it had loops..

I sorta need some help also.

I need info on prices for one day/two day passes at Carowinds. Will be with
a friend in Belmont, NC (Charlotte) for about 10 days from May 15-24. Will
it be open full time by then? thanks

chuck

--
Charles E. Evans / o / Whereforeseeingwealsoarecompassedabout
ce...@ra.msstate.edu / ./|\ / withsogreatacloudofwitnesses,letuslayaside

Dale

Apr 6, 1992, 6:30:27 PM4/6/92
Let me put in my two cents' worth of stuff on BATMAN the ride at Great
America.

I personally don't mind a ride having a certain thematic. I liked the theme
of Disaster Transport more than the ride, and the thematics for the Big Bad
Wolf are phenomenal. The question I have is what is Six Flags going to do with
the ride once the Batman fad dies down again? What happens if Batman suffers
"sequel syndrome" and bombs? How many times can you revive this dead horse?
I loved Batman the movie and will definately see Batman Returns, and if I
could get out to Gurnee, I would certainly ride Batman the ride, but what do
they do with it next year?

"Will their big budget blockbuster be a bat-bomb?"

Dale "Drachen Fire" English

Randy Vose

Apr 6, 1992, 7:58:30 PM4/6/92
Dale Eng...@watson.ibm.com writes:

>I personally don't mind a ride having a certain thematic. I liked the theme
>of Disaster Transport more than the ride, and the thematics for the Big Bad

You know, you're right. Disaster Transport without the goodies is just another
bobsled. They did a great job with it, though.

>Wolf are phenomenal. The question I have is what is Six Flags going to do with
>the ride once the Batman fad dies down again? What happens if Batman suffers
>"sequel syndrome" and bombs? How many times can you revive this dead horse?
>I loved Batman the movie and will definately see Batman Returns, and if I
>could get out to Gurnee, I would certainly ride Batman the ride, but what do
>they do with it next year?

That was my original argument! Thank goodness... I thought I was being too
critical of SF there for a moment or two! Whew... :)

>"Will their big budget blockbuster be a bat-bomb?"

That's a good one... TO THE BAT-QUEUE!

Randy

vo...@ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu

Louis Koziarz

Apr 10, 1992, 10:14:33 AM4/10/92
>The question I have is what is Six Flags going to do with
>the ride once the Batman fad dies down again? What happens if Batman suffers
>"sequel syndrome" and bombs? How many times can you revive this dead horse?

SFGA has done this before with the 'Turn of the Century', which was a
double-corkscrew metal coaster that was an original fixture when the park
opened in 1976. Crowds gave it up for the Tidal Wave (single loop shuttle
coaster), so SFGA added two vertical loops and tons of fake-plaster rocks and
now calls it 'The Demon'. Used to have a hokey theme song that numbed your
mind as you waited in line, but that's another story.

SFGA Trivia: What was the original name of 'The Whizzer'?

Speaking of Tidal Wave, can that gentleman from Teledyne confirm that
this coaster is actually gone? I work a few miles from Gurnee (Abbott Park),
but haven't had a chance to get up that way in a while. I'd really miss that
coaster...

--
Louis Koziarz
koz...@chinet.chi.il.us

Randy Vose

Apr 11, 1992, 1:56:09 PM4/11/92
> SFGA Trivia: What was the original name of 'The Whizzer'?

That's easy! :) The coaster was originally called Willard's Whizzer, named
after Willard Marriott. (Marriott originally owned the park)

SFGA Trivia (easy): What was the original name of 'The Orbit'?
SFGA Trivua (hard): What was the significance of the 25 cent rootbeer stand
near the Whizzer in Hometown Square, when the park
originally opened?

> Speaking of Tidal Wave, can that gentleman from Teledyne confirm that
> this coaster is actually gone? I work a few miles from Gurnee (Abbott Park),
> but haven't had a chance to get up that way in a while. I'd really miss that
> coaster...

It was dismantled at the end of last season, and yep-- it's gone completely
now. Rumor has it that it's "in storage" and it's fate is up in the air. The
ride was supposed to go the SFOMA in Eureka, MO, but apparently they got tired
of getting 'second-hand" rides....

Randy Vose
American Coaster Enthusiasts
vo...@ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois
Urbana/Champaign

Tom Maglione

Apr 13, 1992, 9:30:14 PM4/13/92
In article <1992Apr10....@chinet.chi.il.us>, koz...@chinet.chi.il.us (Louis Koziarz) writes:
> (some stuff deleted)

> SFGA Trivia: What was the original name of 'The Whizzer'?

If my memory serves me well, wasn't this called "Williard's Whizzer"?

Tom Maglione

aw...@ttd.teradyne.com

Apr 14, 1992, 1:23:18 PM4/14/92
In article <1992Apr10....@chinet.chi.il.us>, koz...@chinet.chi.il.us (Louis Koziarz) writes:
stuff deleted

> Speaking of Tidal Wave, can that gentleman from Teledyne confirm that
^^
Everyone gets it wrong :-)

> this coaster is actually gone? I work a few miles from Gurnee (Abbott Park),
> but haven't had a chance to get up that way in a while. I'd really miss that
> coaster...

Sorry to tell you that it's definitely down. In fact they closed the
ride and started to dismantle it before the end of last season. "Batman" has
gone up in its place but I can't see how many other small rides have had to
have been removed or relocated because the new ride is much longer (& wider?)
than the tidal wave was.

See you in line on May 2nd?

Louis Koziarz

Apr 15, 1992, 4:07:44 PM4/15/92
Sorry to hog the exchange I started, but I couldn't help it....

>SFGA Trivia (easy): What was the original name of 'The Orbit'?

The Orleans Orbit. It was located in the northeast corner of the park where
the Condor is now.

>SFGA Trivua (hard): What was the significance of the 25 cent rootbeer stand
> near the Whizzer in Hometown Square, when the park
> originally opened?

I think Mariott got his start with a bunch of rootbeer stands/saloons. 25
cents was what he charged for a frosted mug of rootbeer, right? That stand
would actually serve something like 14oz of great rootbeer in a real frosted
mug (had a fridge for them) for only 25 cents. Then they went to a cheap
frosting machine for a while and charged like 1 dollar, then changed completely
to a Coke and popcorn stand.

SFGA TRIVIA CONTINUES: (medium to hard difficulty)

1: What other ride besides the Orbit was moved in recent years?
2: What were the names of the overhead cable cars and why did they close?
3: Who sponsored/sponsors the Sky Trek ride?
4: Who's picture is (was) on the dedication plaque of the Tidal Wave?
5: How easy was it to put Ivory Liquid Soap in the Logger's Run flume ride?

enjoy!

--
Louis Koziarz
koz...@chinet.chi.il.us

Scott Gerken

Apr 15, 1992, 6:37:28 PM4/15/92

Here is some more 'The Whizzer' trivia.

It was named after Bill 'Williard' Marriott, Sr., the founder of the Marriott Corporation
which build and originally operated both Great Americas. In 1978 a kid was kill on the
Santa Clara Williard's Whizzer do to a combination of ride malfunction and operator error.
The Marriott Corporation then changed the rides name so that their founder would not be
associated with a roller coaster that killed someone. The official report said that the
kid was killed by a ride malfunction. This was half true. A friend and I were in line
to ride it about 15 minuets before the kid was killed. One train did not stop before
entering the station and rear ended a train that was in the station. Lucky nobody was hurt
this time. Instead of stopping the ride and calling the mechanics the operators continued
operating the ride. About 15 minuets after we rode it the malfunction happened again. But,
this time a boy getting onto the train in the station was thrown between two cars and killed.
At the time both my friend and I were employed by the Santa Clara Great America. We both
filled out the required accident reports the next day and the Marriott corporation never
let out that part of the death was do to a fatal operator mistake.

Louis Koziarz

Apr 17, 1992, 2:36:55 PM4/17/92
>> Speaking of Tidal Wave, can that gentleman from Teledyne confirm that
> ^^
> Everyone gets it wrong :-)

Sorry! You know, I pass by Teradyne every morning on the way to work, I guess
my Water Pik is closer to my heart... :)

>"Batman" has
>gone up in its place but I can't see how many other small rides have had to
>have been removed or relocated because the new ride is much longer (& wider?)
>than the tidal wave was.

Well, to the west of TW was an access corridor, then (going clockwise), there
was a puke ride (not the hometown fun machine but close), then some gift shops,
then the Cajun Cliffhanger, and the Octopus. All pretty disposable if the
room was needed. I'd miss the Cliffhanger, though...

> See you in line on May 2nd?

Definitely. I'll be the one with the bat-ears, wearing a Batman t-shirt,
eating a bat-sicle, humming na na na na na BATMAN over and over, with the
words 'TIME WARNER SUCKS' carved into my forehead with a pocket knife. :P

--
Louis Koziarz
koz...@chinet.chi.il.us

Maddox Cox

Apr 1, 2023, 9:00:05 AM4/1/23
> Oh GOD! Pleeeeaaaassseee..... another thrill ride marketing gimmick goes up in
> smoke. BATMAN The ride??!? I think Six Flags really needs to hire some
> creative people or something. We finally had a chance to get a cool new ride
> and name it something totally awesome-- and they come up with BATMAN.... ugh!

Where is that kid now lol

Fardeen Sakhi

Apr 1, 2023, 6:00:36 PM4/1/23
Im bout to nut oh my god