Is Midway Park worth a trip?

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Ridgemon...@yahoo.com

unread,
Jul 24, 2008, 11:00:08 AM7/24/08
to
Have any of you ever been to Midway amusement park in southwestern New
York? What is it like? I know that Midway is supposed to be a small
park, but I understand it has a lot of
old-fashioned park charm. Is it worth a trip?

Canob...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 24, 2008, 12:51:02 PM7/24/08
to
I've never been... But looking at Windows and Google maps, I can see
it has the 2 kiddie coasters, a little train ride, go kart track,
Minigolf, and a few flats but most are kiddies.

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.20156,-79.421647&spn=0.001788,0.004699&z=18
- Google...
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r107558cfbh0&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=9113572&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1
- Windows (better view)

As a side note -- If anyone knows the hours for the place that would
be great for me. Wally doesnt open till midday so Midway would be a
nice pit-stop coming from Boston...

Harry Face

unread,
Jul 24, 2008, 1:59:25 PM7/24/08
to
It depends on what your looking for. Midway Park is geared for families
with small kids. Its not really a Teen or Adult Park.

Its been a few years since I've been there. Its now owned by New York
state - as the Walsh family decided to retire a few years ago and
couldn't get anyone to buy the park.

I don't know if the state made any changes to the ride roster.

They have Arcade / Skee Ball, Go Karts, and plenty of Allen Herschell
kiddie rides including a Little Dipper coaster. A train ride goes around
the front of the park. There is also a Mini Golf, Bumper cars and a 1968
Carousel.

The old ballroom ( along the lake) is still there and a roller rink is
on the second floor. I'm not sure if it is still open to the public.
When the Walsh's operated it the last few seasons it was open to private
groups and not the park patrons. I think it was a big mistake closing it
to the general public.

I loved skating in there when I'd go. They would let you bring your own
skates or rollerblades.

Due to pollution & insurance cost the lake was closed to swimming at the
park.

The gift shop on the ballroom houses a museum as well. I think the park
is 110 years old this season.

Its about 45 mile from Waldameer park in Erie, PA.

Enjoy,

harryface

David F

unread,
Jul 24, 2008, 5:27:22 PM7/24/08
to
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:00:08 -0700 (PDT), Ridgemon...@yahoo.com
wrote:

It depends on your purpose.

If you are hunting credits, they have a Herschell Little Dipper and a
powered.

If you want to "complete" New York State, it is a fully functioning
amusement park.

As others have said, it is a kiddie park with a ride selection to
match.

I certainly wouldn't drive hours with it as an ultimate destination.
It's a nice pit stop, though.

Oh, and the Iroquois casinos aren't too far away.

Regards,
David


Remove NOSPAM to contact me.

Proud to be an Attraction Traveller:
Amusement and Theme Parks
Zoos and Aquaria
Historic Sights
Museums
Urban Centers and Urban Hiking
Unique Commercial Sights
Americana and Kitsch

I know, its a euphemism for "tourist" but I don't care!

David Sandborg

unread,
Jul 24, 2008, 8:28:57 PM7/24/08
to
In article
<4ad9b25d-6d19-4cfb...@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
Ridgemon...@yahoo.com wrote:

Well, how long of a trip are you talking about? I wouldn't be traveling
across the country for it, but if you're in the area you might consider
it worth a visit. No thrill rides to speak of, but there is a nice
history display in one building. I also probably wouldn't go back for
the park alone (probably about a 3 hour drive for me, BTW, to give you
some idea of my motivation) but would like to see some other things in
the area. If I did happen to be in the area I would visit again.

--
Dave Sandborg
Remove Spam-away to respond via e-mail.

Ridgemon...@yahoo.com

unread,
Jul 25, 2008, 12:39:14 AM7/25/08
to
On Jul 24, 8:28 pm, David Sandborg <sandd...@Spam-away.ix.netcom.com>
wrote:
> In article
> <4ad9b25d-6d19-4cfb-9734-463e92232...@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  RidgemontRat77...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Have any of you ever been toMidwayamusementparkin southwestern New
> > York?  What is it like? I know thatMidwayis supposed to be a small

> >park, but I understand it has a lot of
> > old-fashionedparkcharm. Is it worth a trip?

>
> Well, how long of a trip are you talking about?  I wouldn't be traveling
> across the country for it, but if you're in the area you might consider
> it worth a visit.  No thrill rides to speak of, but there is a nice
> history display in one building.  I also probably wouldn't go back for
> theparkalone (probably about a 3 hour drive for me, BTW, to give you

> some idea of my motivation) but would like to see some other things in
> the area.  If I did happen to be in the area I would visit again.
>
> --
> Dave Sandborg
> Remove Spam-away to respond via e-mail.

Thanks, everyone for your info. I really don't live all that far from
Midway. It's probably less than an hour-and-a-half drive away. Perhaps
it's even closer to an hour.

I had never considered going there before because I had always assumed
there wasn't much of a park there. But then I heard how old Midway
Park is and how it has a lot of charm.

So I wouldn't be going to Midway expecting a great park for large
thrill rides. No, I'd be going to check out what sounds like a neat
little place to walk around at and enjoy. I love old, classic
amusement parks! So it wouldn't bother me if the place is rather
small and mostly has kids rides.

Ridgemon...@yahoo.com

unread,
Jul 25, 2008, 12:41:52 AM7/25/08
to
On Jul 24, 12:51 pm, Canobie...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've never been... But looking at Windows and Google maps, I can see
> it has the 2 kiddie coasters, a little train ride, go kart track,
> Minigolf, and a few flats but most are kiddies.
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.20156,-79.421647&...
> - Google...http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r107558cfbh0&sty...

> - Windows (better view)
>
> As a side note -- If anyone knows the hours for the place that would
> be great for me. Wally doesnt open till midday soMidwaywould be a

> nice pit-stop coming from Boston...

Canobie are you talking about Waldameer Park? That's my home park! : )

George

unread,
Jul 25, 2008, 2:12:24 PM7/25/08
to

> If you are hunting credits, they have a Herschell Little Dipper and a powered.

A "powered" is not a roller coaster.

Ricky

Andrew Brawley

unread,
Jul 25, 2008, 6:10:35 PM7/25/08
to

"George" <Axtell...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:8b85b7ae-e1a6-4053...@a1g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...


Well, nanny nanny boo boo!


Canob...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 26, 2008, 11:14:44 AM7/26/08
to
>
> Canobie are you talking about Waldameer Park? That's my home park!  : )


Yeah. I was thinking if Midway opens at like 10 or 11am. I could spend
an hour there before going down to Waldmeer as they dont open the
rides until 1pm?

As for the power vs nonpower.... I'll stick with the "well, RCDB
counts it" rule --- And the fact that I counted them as coaster before
I knew people didnt think they were coasters.... And before I knew
people even kept track of how many they've been on ;)

Ridgemon...@yahoo.com

unread,
Jul 27, 2008, 10:47:22 AM7/27/08
to

You are correct. Waldameer doesn't open the park rides until 1 p.m.
The water park, however, opens at 11 a.m.
A great time to go to Waldameer is on a weekday in June. That's
because they open the park at 10:30 then due to the school picnics.
And even though there are lots of kids there, the park still doesn't
get crowded to the point where you can't get a lot of rides.

But even this time of the year it's a great time to go. Weekends can
get pretty crowded, but weekdays are not bad at all. I was at
Waldameer again a couple of weeks ago (on a weekday). The lines were
still pretty short and the crowds weren't bad at all.

Waldameer is my home park. But I also don't understand why they don't
open the park rides earlier, say 11:00 a.m. or 11:30.

Ridgemon...@yahoo.com

unread,
Jul 27, 2008, 10:48:44 AM7/27/08
to
On Jul 26, 11:14 am, Canobie...@gmail.com wrote:

Have you been to Waldameer before? If so, will this be your first ride
on the Ravine Flyer II? You are really in for a treat.

Canob...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 27, 2008, 3:08:52 PM7/27/08
to
Yeah, Next next week will be my first time ever at the park. I planed
to go there and CLP in 05 when I was at Darien Lake, but both parks
didnt open for the season tul the week after I was in the area.

Ridgemon...@yahoo.com

unread,
Jul 27, 2008, 4:56:34 PM7/27/08
to

I'm really excited for you. Waldameer is a great place. You're in for
a treat. For many years it was mostly just a "kids" park. But in the
past decade they've added several adult-oriented attractions: the
Ravine Flyer II this year, the Steel Dragon spinning coaster in 2004
(or '05), and a 140-foot drop tower ride last year. Waldameer also is
home to a really nice log plume ride called Thunder River. And if you
like dark rides, Waldameer is home to two "classic" ones--a
walkthrough and a ride-through--that were both designed by legendary
dark ride designer Bill Tracey.

Don't worry if you get there too early. You can still have fun at a
few places just adjacent to Waldameer:

1. Waldameer is located very close to Lake Erie. The main entrance to
Waldameer is on Peninsula Drive. Further up the road on Peninsula
Drive are many nice sandy beaches.

2. The Tom Ridge Center is located right across the street from
Waldameer. You'll see it. It's a big complex with a tower. The TRC is
basically a big environmental museum with all sorts of cool exhibits
and displays about the wildlife and water of Lake Erie and the
surrounding landscape. I'm not normally into this kind of stuff, but
even *I* was impressed by the Tom Ridge Center. The exhibits were damn
neat. And It costs ZERO to tour this place (free parking too). So if
you have some time to kill it might be a nice stop for you. The
observation tower is pretty high there and it gives a great view of
the Ravine Flyer II and Lake Erie. Ravine Flyer II actually crosses
Peninsula Drive and turns around on the other side of the road. This
means that the ride comes VERY close to the Tom Ridge Center. You get
great views of Waldameer and of Ravine Flyer II from the observation
tower at the Tom Ridge Center.

3. Sara's restaurant is also right down the road from Waldameer
(towards the Beaches) on Peninsula Drive. Sara's is a very nice 1950s-
style restaurant. It's very close to the park. In fact, you should
actually be able to see this little place from the first hill of
Ravine Flyer II. The food is really good there--hamburgers, hot dogs,
fries, old-fashioned coke in a bottle, great ice cream and other
stuff.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Waldameer and Erie. It's really too bad
that Conneaut Lake Park isn't open because it's only about 45 miles
from Waldameer. The Blue Streak coaster there was legendary.

Frank

unread,
Jul 29, 2008, 3:37:02 PM7/29/08
to
MAKE SURE YOU GET TO RIDE RF2 AT NIGHT!!
OH MY GOD!!
<Ridgemon...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:289ae189-c039-46c9...@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

George

unread,
Aug 9, 2008, 1:05:51 AM8/9/08
to
On Jul 26, 10:14 am, Canobie...@gmail.com wrote:

> As for the power vs nonpower.... I'll stick with the "well, RCDB
> counts it" rule ---

So what RCDB says is the rule. Wow. Many here have been much, much
longer than RCDB. Just cause he's done such an awesome job with RCDB
does not mean that he get's to define what is & isn't a coaster.

Here, it's really simple. Roller coaster. See that second word?
"Coaster?" It means, well, it coasts. Something powered dosen't coast
therefore isn't a roller coaster. Anyone who puts powered coasters on
a list is probably a credit whore or an idiot.

>And the fact that I counted them as coaster before

Oh, now that's an even better reason for counting a powered
ride...because you counted them as coasters before.

George

David F

unread,
Aug 9, 2008, 9:09:28 AM8/9/08
to


Well George,

I'll toss in my incindiary device into the conversation, and play
Devil's Advocate.

Since many rides fall into the gray zone of what is and is not a
coaster, many want a commonly available resource and arbitrator.
Since the 2004 edition of Multimedia Roller Coasters was the last for
that, there are now only two: The RCDB and its derivatives such as
Coastercounter, and the ACE census. If someone choses to use RCDB,
the powered coasters are there.

To use your own words against you: You use the term "powered coaster"
in your argument. See that second word "coaster?" They are called
coasters.

Now lets look at the opposite extreme: The Conneaut Lake and Camden
Park darkrides. Many argue they are roller coasters as they have lift
hills and gravity descents. Others go by the "if it looks like a duck
and quacks like a duck, then its a duck" rule. To many, these two
rides quack like haunted house darkrides not roller coasters.

Now if a ride has a train and goes along a track with drops and turns,
some might say such a ride quacks like a coaster and is thus a
coaster.

Powered coasters are certainly not train rides as they fail the test
of either being used as transportation or for scenic tours.

Now while I agree that someone in the counting powered camp is more
likely to be a cre ho than not, I would not call them idiots. Not
everybody wants to be bothered with looking for or knowing about the
telltale signs of a powered track or the implications of that cord
going from the train to a central pole. Some don't want to know why
the middle car of a Miner Mike is not a seat but has a motor. They
just want to get in, ride the coasters, and get out and on there way
to the next destination. Certainly, some don't want to much "work"
with their hobby.

Bottom line is, every single one of you has a right to count your
coasters as you see fit, especially as there is no prize or financial
gain to doing so; only bragging rights.

To paraphrase someone else who still occasionally posts here, the rest
of us reserve the right to mock you.

Now with regards to the RCDB including powered coasters, there is an
added benefit. Many parks worth a visit only have a powered coaster.
If not for the RCDB, many of us would never even know these places
existed.

Regards,
David

Who is quite capable of seeing both sides of the argument, will
respect those who go either way, and will not officially state which
camp he is in. :-)

Mark Rosenzweig

unread,
Aug 9, 2008, 9:13:53 AM8/9/08
to
The Conneaut/Camden dark rides are gravity dark rides that belong in
categories with Adventureland's Outlaw and Golden Nugget in Wildwood.
The latter two run/ran trains as apposed to individual cars, but aside
from that I can't see how someone wouldn't consider all or none of
these rides coasters. Underground doesn't even have any proper
"drops"- just two lifts and gravity driven trackage.

-Mark

Wolf

unread,
Aug 9, 2008, 11:10:29 AM8/9/08
to
> The Conneaut/Camden dark rides are gravity dark rides that belong in
> categories with Adventureland's Outlaw and Golden Nugget in Wildwood.

I think you mean Adventureland's The Underground, unless you know something
Mike Boodley doesn't.


--
|\-/|
<0 0>
=(o)=
-Wolf


George

unread,
Aug 9, 2008, 11:02:50 PM8/9/08
to
On Aug 9, 8:09 am, David F <DocDav...@NOSPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 22:05:51 -0700 (PDT), George
>
>
>
>
>
> <AxtellGeo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Jul 26, 10:14 am, Canobie...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >> As for the power vs nonpower.... I'll stick with the "well, RCDB
> >> counts it" rule ---
>
> >So what RCDB says is the rule. Wow. Many here have been much, much
> >longer than RCDB. Just cause he's done such an awesome job with RCDB
> >does not mean that he get's to define what is & isn't a coaster.
>
> >Here, it's really simple. Roller coaster. See that second word?
> >"Coaster?" It means, well, it coasts. Something powered dosen't coast
> >therefore isn't a roller coaster. Anyone who puts powered coasters on
> >a list is probably a credit whore or an idiot.
>
> >>And the fact that I counted them as coaster before
>
> >Oh, now that's an even better reason for counting a powered
> >ride...because you counted them as coasters before.
>
> >George
>
> Well George,
>
> I'll toss in my incindiary device into the conversation, and play
> Devil's Advocate.

> If someone choses to use RCDB, the powered coasters are there.

It is amazing and idiotic that something as wonderful & thorough as
RCDB would include powered un-coasters and call them roller coasters.

> To use your own words against you:  You use the term "powered coaster"
> in your argument.  See that second word "coaster?"  They are called
> coasters.

I regress. They are now officially called powered un-coasters, or
powereds for short. Powereds? Is that spelt write? Powerds? Powerdes?
Hmmm....

> Now lets look at the opposite extreme:  The Conneaut Lake and Camden
> Park darkrides.  Many argue they are roller coasters as they have lift
> hills and gravity descents.  

I'm not familiar with these. Camden Park? Man, I've been a few times
but don't think I did the dark ride/coaster. Was at Conneaut once in
82 & don't remember if we rode or even saw this dark ride. Are these
similar to the dark ride at the former Bells with the drop in the
middle out in the open? I would haltingly accept one's interpretation
of Bell's dark ride as a coaster but I personally don't include it on
my list.

> Now while I agree that someone in the counting powered camp is more
> likely to be a cre ho than not, I would not call them idiots.  

Yes, yes...not an idiot, sorry, nobody is an idiot. We make idiotic
decisions but idiot is a judgement that nobody deserves to be labled
with, except maybe Bush.

> Not everybody wants to be bothered with looking for or knowing about the
> telltale signs of a powered track or the implications of that cord
> going from the train to a central pole.  Some don't want to know why
> the middle car of a Miner Mike is not a seat but has a motor.  They
> just want to get in, ride the coasters, and get out and on there way
> to the next destination.  Certainly, some don't want to much "work"
> with their hobby.

Wow, really? Amazing. I mean, really It's become so obvious that many
don't want to work at this hobby but it amazes me. When I joined ACE
in 82 (800 members) I knew few people that couldn't be considered
relative experts. Now, what is ACE? Over 10,000 members? (I've been
out for several years) So many now are just idiots. OOPS - Sorry, I
mean...So many don't even know something as elementary as the
difference between a roller coaster and a powered un-coaster. Oh, here
I go judging again, I'm just a peon myself, everyone is welcome into
this hobby as long as you don't endanger us by doing idiotic things
that tarnish the good reputation that we used to have.

> Bottom line is, every single one of you has a right to count your
> coasters as you see fit, especially as there is no prize or financial
> gain to doing so; only bragging rights.
>
> To paraphrase someone else who still occasionally posts here, the rest
> of us reserve the right to mock you.

Indeed, everyone has the right to be wrong. ;-)

> Now with regards to the RCDB including powered coasters, there is an
> added benefit.  Many parks worth a visit only have a powered coaster.
> If not for the RCDB, many of us would never even know these places
> existed.

Interesting, and the benefit is noted. I've never thought of that.

George

> Regards,
> David
>
> Who is quite capable of seeing both sides of the argument, will
> respect those who go either way, and will not officially state which
> camp he is in. :-)
>
> Remove NOSPAM to contact me.
>
> Proud to be an Attraction Traveller:
> Amusement and Theme Parks
> Zoos and Aquaria
> Historic Sights
> Museums
> Urban Centers and Urban Hiking
> Unique Commercial Sights
> Americana and Kitsch
>

> I know, its a euphemism for "tourist" but I don't care!- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Andrew Brawley

unread,
Aug 10, 2008, 2:26:41 PM8/10/08
to

"George" <Axtell...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eefd15a8-6d70-4b45...@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

> >So what RCDB says is the rule. Wow. Many here have been much, much
> >longer than RCDB. Just cause he's done such an awesome job with RCDB
> >does not mean that he get's to define what is & isn't a coaster.
>
> >Here, it's really simple. Roller coaster. See that second word?
> >"Coaster?" It means, well, it coasts. Something powered dosen't coast
> >therefore isn't a roller coaster. Anyone who puts powered coasters on
> >a list is probably a credit whore or an idiot.

>It is amazing and idiotic that something as wonderful & thorough as


>RCDB would include powered un-coasters and call them roller coasters.

>I regress. They are now officially called powered un-coasters, or
>powereds for short.


Golly guys... We'd better do as he says. He sounds kinda tough.


George

unread,
Aug 10, 2008, 5:39:07 PM8/10/08
to
On Aug 10, 1:26 pm, "Andrew Brawley" <fadedj_d...@coasterboys.com>
wrote:

> Golly guys...  We'd better do as he says.  He sounds kinda tough.

Nope.

George

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages