Deaths on Roller Coasters

tgreg

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
While reading the Roller Coaster Almanac, I found out about alot
of deaths on roller coasters that I never heard of before. I live
in PA, and only recently heard of sombody being thrown from the
SuperDooperLooper at Hersheypark. Somebody told me that it used
to have 6 loops in it, but it was remodeled after this fatal
accident. What is the real story on this? I also never heard of
somebody being thrown from Colossus. One thing that I didn't see
on the Almanac was when somebody died in 1968 on the brand new
Thunderbolt at Kennywood. Maybe I just overlooked it. Can anyone
give me the real story on the SuperDooperLooper and any of the
other coasters?

Dave Althoff

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
tgreg (tg...@city-net.com) wrote:
: While reading the Roller Coaster Almanac, I found out about alot

The Sooperdooperlooper has always been a one-loop coaster. There is an
article about the court action following the accident on that coaster in a
back-issue of ACE News (I'll look it up...). In that case, the "victim"
was standing, and the jury found the park harmless in the case. Woo hoo! 8-)

The Colossus story was posted here, with fairly complete information. I
merely took down the date; I didn't file the article. One of the
left-coasters here on r.r-c did a nice job of covering that disaster.

I am aware that there was an accident on the Thunderbolt, and that one of
the results was the removal of a small hill in the "spaghetti bowl" helix.
Unfortunately, I do not have the exact date for that incident, therefore
it is not listed in the Almanac.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
Maintainer, Roller Coaster Almanac
(http://www.rollercoaster.com/almanac.html)
--
/-\ _ _ /| __*** Closed for the season ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X _/ /XX\_ _ _ _____

Negative Git

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
> The Sooperdooperlooper has always been a one-loop coaster. There is an
> article about the court action following the accident on that coaster in a
> back-issue of ACE News (I'll look it up...). In that case, the "victim"
> was standing, and the jury found the park harmless in the case. Woo hoo! 8-)

I believe alot of the (few) deaths in Theme Parks are from people being
foolish on the rides or at least not taking enough precautions. Take
Alton Towers (UK), apparently someone died in the black hole (they stood up!),
yet another died on the water rapids (head dress caught in the mechanism).

Rob

PSUZEUS

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

I am from Pittsburgh, and I did hear that someone was killed on the
thunderbolt back when it first opened. Also, i heard that a woman with
long hair was injured in the laser loop when her hair got caught in a
gear. I don't know what truth there is to this though.

psuzeus

Dave Althoff

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

PSUZEUS (psu...@aol.com) wrote:
: I am from Pittsburgh, and I did hear that someone was killed on the

: thunderbolt back when it first opened. Also, i heard that a woman with
: long hair was injured in the laser loop when her hair got caught in a
: gear. I don't know what truth there is to this though.

Minimal research on my part indicates that the first part...that someone
was killed on the T-bolt...is probably true. It is well known that there
was a serious accident during that ride's first season, and everyone I've
heard it from has indicated that the accident was a fatality.

The result of that incident was the removal of a small hill from the
T-bolt's helix. Those of us who didn't visit Kennywood until until 25
years later never noticed that it was gone 8-)

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

--
/-\ _ _ /| __*** Closed for the season ***

/XXX\ /X\ /X/ | _ /XX\_ _ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ <#&>XX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\__/XXXXX\/o==oXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\_/XXX\_/\_/XXXXXX

Hollister Bundy

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

How 'bout the freefall crashes of the 80's. I know SFGA's injured some
people, but weren't there a few others, too, like at SFOT?

CPanko

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

I can confirm that a 15 year old boy who attended Hempfield Area
High School was killed in or arround about the second or third week of
May the Thunderbolt's opening year. I know poeple who attended school with
him. The story goes that (as many of these accidents) he was a quiet boy
and someone darred him to stand up. His death was because he was showing
off and standing up and was thrown from the train.
As for the reasoning behind removing the small hill in the bowl,
I heard it was too rough on average riders.( Once again not taking into
concideration the rest of us.)

Carl- Jack Rabbit/ Racer Crew 96

CPanko

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

I can confirm that a 15 year old boy was killed in or arround about
the second or third week in May the opening year of the Thunderbolt. He
attended Hempfield Area High School and was a shy boy who wanted noticed.(
Form poeple who attended school with him) Like so many of these stories,
someone dared him to stand up and he was thrown from the train.

As for the reasoning behind removing the small hill in the bowl, I
heard it was because of discomfort for the "average rider."

Please push your safety bar forward and gently pull it back.....and hold
on tight.
Carl - Jack Rabbit/ Racer Crew 95-96

Dave Taylor

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

There was also a coaster death in 1989 at Six Flags Over Georgia,
the park with the Mindbender & The Great American Scream Machine.
Another coaster they had was called Z-Force which I had went on
while I was on holiday there. A few days later on the news they
had reported that a youngster - about 10 - 12 years old had
choked on his own vomit or sick after the ride had finished &
unfortunately died. Does anyone remember this ???

--
Thanks Dave,

tgreg

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

The death on the Thunderbolt took place in 1968 when it first opened.
According to "Kennywood Memories," it was a high school sophmore who
was thrown from train while on a class trip.

Hersh Brown

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

Hollister Bundy (h...@psycfrnd.interaccess.com) wrote:
: How 'bout the freefall crashes of the 80's. I know SFGA's injured some
: people, but weren't there a few others, too, like at SFOT?

two things, one can anyone tell me in as much detail as possible what
happened to mind bender, and what the ride was like.
AND ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE THE ADRESS FOR ORDERING THE "SPACE WARP TRACK"
IT IS PERFECT FOR ARROW MODELS.

73157...@compuserve.com

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

Dave writes:
>Minimal research on my part indicates that the first part...that
>someone was killed on the T-bolt...is probably true. It is well
>known that there was a serious accident during that ride's first
>season, and everyone I've heard it from has indicated that the
>accident was a fatality.

According to a gentleman I just met today who was a T-Bolt
operator during the summer of 1968, there were TWO fatalities
that year. Both involved idiots standing up on the ride. He
also told me that there was a problem with the rear train's
last seat. Apparently, at one spot in the ride, the rear
trains lap bar release would contact the track, causing the
lap bars in the last car to release. The operator told me
he ended up riding the T-Bolt 130 times assisting the
maintenance crew in pinpoint exactly which section of track
was causing the problem. The M-crew then planed down that
section of track.
Derek Gee

Tim Melago

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

dal...@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Dave Althoff) wrote:
>Minimal research on my part indicates that the first part...that someone
>was killed on the T-bolt...is probably true. It is well known that there
>was a serious accident during that ride's first season, and everyone I've
>heard it from has indicated that the accident was a fatality.
>
>The result of that incident was the removal of a small hill from the
>T-bolt's helix. Those of us who didn't visit Kennywood until until 25
>years later never noticed that it was gone 8-)

On the Kennywood Memories video they did say that a boy was killed on the then
new Thunderbolt when he stood up. They also talked about the removal of the
"speed bump" after the first season. The video said it was removed because it
was too rough for the average rider. I don't know if the death was a factor in
its removal.

Also, I have a few observations from my visit to Kennywood today. Looking at
Noah's Ark, I don't think it will even open this season. One section has only a
cinder block wall up with no roof, floor, or equipment in it. You can see into
other sections and nothing looks close to being done. The only remaining old
section is the mountain part where you walk up the ramp and you can see
outside. I think the biggest mistake on the project is the removal of the walk
thru whale's mouth. People will miss the whale and walking on its foam tongue.

The Lil' Phantom looks ready except for the station. It a typical kiddie
coaster like the one at Adventure World or Williams Grove. All of the
other coasters were up and running even though the Steel Phantom train stalled
at the top of the lift for a while. Maintainence people and operators had to
climb the lift but riders did not have to get out and walk down. The new
entertainment area is almost done and the extra seating should reduce
congestion around the Potato Patch.

* Tim Melago | H O M E P A R K S *
* roll...@sgi.net | Idlewild - Kennywood *

Richard Bonner

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

Hersh Brown wrote:

Two things: 1/ Can anyone tell me, in as much detail as possible, what
happened to The "Mind Bender", and what the ride was like.

2/ DOES ANYONE HAVE THE ADDRESS FOR ORDERING THE "SPACE WARP TRACK" ?

IT IS PERFECT FOR ARROW MODELS.

*** Hi Hersh,

If you are referring to The "Mind Bender" coaster at West Edmonton
Mall, there is too much detail to give here. Look on our page (URL below)
in the "Park Books" section for "Mall Coaster Enquiry". This report is
over 200 pages long! There is an address from which it may be possible to
obtain a copy. (I say `may' because ther may not be any more copies
available.)

As for "Space Warp", it's manufactured by Bandai. Here is their
American outlet address:

Bandai America Incorporated
12851 E. 166th Street
Cerritos, California 90701
U.S.A.

Voice: (213) 926-0947
Fax: (213) 926-8030

Richard Bonner

Managing Director:
The Coaster Enthusiasts of Canada
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/CEC/CEC.html

rfut...@pbs.org

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

There was a death on the Comet at Hershey pary yesterday (5-4-96).
I wanted to take one last ride on the Comet before the park closed. I waited
for the first seat. It was a great ride, until we came around the last curve
before the break run. Sitting on the track was a groundhog. I saw him
disappear under the train. The person I was with said that he saw him jump
out of the way. When we reached the station we found out he had not made
it. The skid breaks lifted the train off the wheels and brought it to a
stop. While the train was in the air the body shifted under the right front
wheel. When the computer released the break, the train did not start to roll
into the station. The computer brought the second train to a stop on
the mid course break. The crew manually released the lap bars and escorted
us to an exit. A large crew of maintance workers pushed the train backwards
to allow the removal of the body.
We looked over the fence and saw fur at various places along the track.
It took about a half hour to remove the body and check the track. The train
that hit the creature was sent to the lift hill empty and the second train
was allowed to continue from the mid course brake run.
The new coaster is not yet running. It looks like there is a lot of
work that still needs to be done around the new coaster. The crane is still
in place. The queue is not yet done.

Robert Futscher rfut...@pbs.org

CHRISTOPHER GESTWICKI

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

I almost witnessed a death.I went to Six Flags Great Adventure when
they were going up the lift on the Great American Scream Machine.they
people running al over the place.I also got stuck at the top of the
Rolling Thunder at SFGAdventure.

Twister

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

On 6 May 96 01:40:19 -0700, CGest...@msn.com (CHRISTOPHER GESTWICKI)
wrote:

Could you please get into alittle better detail?

--
See you in line,
Twister

Chris Feist

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

Hi, I am curious to know about any info regarding injuries and/or deaths
at Six Flags Over Texas specifically. I am not personally aware of any
fatalities and know little about injuries.

I do know of one accident which took place in line for the Runaway Mine
Train in '84, I believe. I didn't see it happen, but I was nearby.
There was this continuous shrieking of terror or pain (didn't know which
at first) which I heard from inside the loading platform on the Runaway.
I soon realized that it was shrieks of terror from a woman. This lady's
little boy had fallen in front of one of the trains, and apparently the
train rolled over him. I can't say for sure how much of this is
accurate, though, since I didn't see it with my own eyes, only heard the
comotion. When they were able to back out the train and free the boy,
some medics appeared with the boy in their arms and the terrified mother
following. The kid appeared to be okay.

None of the SFOT coasters had those safety bars in line on the loading
platform until the year after that. That's how the kid was able to fall
in front of the train...no bar.

Anyone else know of any accidents/injuries/deaths at SFOT?

Chris

Richard Morency

May 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/11/96

Dave Taylor (10044...@CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: There was also a coaster death in 1989 at Six Flags Over Georgia,

: --
: Thanks Dave,

Yes, i remember that. It was shortly after i moved to atlanta. I always
thougth that the kid died becuase of some kind of brain hemmorage. It
saddens me that they took out the Z-Force and put Ninja in its place.
Z-Force was the first non-mine train steel coaster i went on. I think
the Z-Force is now Flashback at SFMM, but i dont know.

--===--Atsuko

AGorman536

May 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/11/96

I covered a story for my college's student newspaper, regarding a
rollercoaster death. The daughter of one of our Math professors was
chewing a large wad of gum while riding the Dragon Coaster at Playland in
Rye, NY. When the coaster went down its first steep hill, the gum lodged
in her thoat, causing this poor child to choke to death.

I also was once on a coaster at Six Flag's Great Adventure which had
operating difficulities, causing it to be disabled at the top of a large
hill!

PC Wizard

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

I remember in the late 80's or Early '90's the King Cobra at Kings
Dominion Jumped Tracks killing all passengers.

Force Of Nature

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

I can remember back about 12-15 years ago a woman died on Lightning Loops
at Six Flags Great Adventure. The ride consisted of 2 loops intertwined.
You would climb up a set of stairs to get to the top. Once in, the train
was shot out, down a hill, through a loop and up to the other side.
A few seconds later, it was shot out from the other sides and did the
same thing backwards. Supposedly, a woman did not put her harness down
and she held herself in through the loop forwards. However, on the
trip back, she fell between 2 cars , was dragged 10 feet and fell 75
feet to her death. I believe those were the exact words of the newspapers.

Kristofer Wempa we...@eden.rutgers.edu
http://remus.rutgers.edu/~wempa we...@remus.rutgers.edu

Twister

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

On Mon, 13 May 1996 14:45:49 GMT, pcwi...@mnsinc.com (PC Wizard)
wrote:

>I remember in the late 80's or Early '90's the King Cobra at Kings
>Dominion Jumped Tracks killing all passengers.

Do you have any proof this happined?
I really find this hard to believe.

TonyG Jr

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

And if you beleive that.... I have a 475 inverted rollercoaster by Arrow
to sell you. There was *ONE* death on King Kobra involving a woman
fainting.

Tony G
"Bring back the Crystal Beach Cyclone!!!"

Email: harry_...@cyclone.fnet.org

Barry K. Swank, Jr.

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

In article <4n7iij$5...@news1.mnsinc.com>,

pcwi...@mnsinc.com (PC Wizard) wrote:
>I remember in the late 80's or Early '90's the King Cobra at Kings
>Dominion Jumped Tracks killing all passengers.
>
>.

oh. ha ha ha Ha Ha HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHA HA HA HA HA
bwa-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! HA HA HA AAAH-HA HA HA HA

I'm sorry. BWAH-HA-HA-HAAAA!!!!

Most *giggle* ridiculous *stifled laugh* thing I heard...

Super-Duper-MEGA ROFLOL until I explode.. BWAH-HA-HA-HAAAA!!!!!!

Check out Whirlwind's World!!
http://fangz.com/~whirlwind
___________
\_ _____/____ ____ ____________ _____ ____ _____
| __) \__ \ / \ / ___\___ / / ___\/ _ \ / \
| \ / __ \| | \/ /_/ > __/ \ \__( <_> ) | | \
\___ / (____ /___| /\___ /_____ \ /\___ >____/|__|_| /
\/ \/ \//_____/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Barry K. Swank, Jr. | "14 Lesbians, standing around | Homepark:
Whir...@fangz.com | a riding mower trying to be | Knoebels Amusement
Rochester, NY | butch, while looking for the | Resort, home of the
Roller Coaster Fan | ON switch. " | PHOENIX and the
Former Coaster Op. | --quote from Advocate, 6/95 | WHIRLWIND.

Barry K. Swank, Jr.

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

Railblazer

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

>I remember in the late 80's or Early '90's the King Cobra at Kings
>Dominion Jumped Tracks killing all passengers.

King Cobra @ Kings Dominion? Hardly. Whatever you are referring to, PKD or
PKI, neither of their stand-ups have ever had a death or serious injury.
/X\ __
/XXX\_---__/XX\ ___ _
/XXXXX\ /XXXX\___/XXXX\_____/X\___/XXXXXXX\ ___
_/Ed & Liz\ /-Schroeder-XXXX\ /X-ACE members-XX\_/XXX\

Twister

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

He is referring to the Kings Cobra at Kings Dominion. It's know longer
there. The deaths are just lore that kids told other kids etc. I think
this happined to every park.

DSuperBee

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

If I remember right, a workman on WIllard's Whizzer at PGA fell off the
top of the ride late one night. The story I heard from a park employee
was that he rode the ride, and decided to stand up and the top of the
lift, fell off and died. BTW, he was supposedly drunk. Is this true or
false?
DSup...@aol.com

TBills7736

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Just a few questions. Are you talking about the stand-up King Cobra at
PKI? It derailed in 1984 but didn't kill anyone. Are you sure you heard
all the details.
Todd

TBills7736

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Well, PKI's Cobra derailed in 1984 sending 8 passengers to the hospital
with minor injuries. I think the rear wheel assembly sheared off and the
train skidded to a halt.

Matthew Pearce

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

DSuperBee (dsup...@aol.com) wrote:
: If I remember right, a workman on WIllard's Whizzer at PGA fell off the

I didn't hear that, but there was one death on that ride (read about this
in the newspaper & heard it on the news).

The park was running all three trains. You boarded the ride about one
story above ground. Anyway, the brakes failed, and a train crashed into
a train being boarded. One person fell out and died of internal
injuries. I don't know if he was hit by the third train.

M.P.
--
Looking for software for your Apple IIGS or Macintosh?
Visit http://www.crl.com/~mpearce/GSAUG/Apple.html

coaster

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

wrote:

>I remember in the late 80's or Early '90's the King Cobra at Kings
>Dominion Jumped Tracks killing all passengers.

Now, i havta call BS on this one :(

RWeidwall

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Sometime in the '80's, someone stood up while going up the lift hill of
the Coney Island Cyclone and was, not surprisingly, hurled to his death
from the first drop. I was living in NYC at the time and this was widely
reported. Luckily, this incident did not result in new restraints.

R. Wallace

ťWonderFreakť

May 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/19/96

PC Wizard (pcwi...@mnsinc.com) wrote:
: I remember in the late 80's or Early '90's the King Cobra at Kings
: Dominion Jumped Tracks killing all passengers.

I remember in the late 80's or Early '90's Cedar Point's Gemini's trains
both derailed at the same time.. sending everyone flying into Lake Erie.
After the trains derailed, the TRAINS went flying very very far into the
Corkscrew. One train hit the Corkscrew which sliced a part of the track
in half, sending the corkscrew train flying into the midway, killing
everyone in sight. The second gemini train happened to fly onto Blue
Streak, destroying both trains and killing all passengers aboard. Blue
Streak just reopened this year because of this dreadful accident, and
they put new ratcheting lap bars in this year to go with the new trains
to protect the public from the corkscrew trains. Seriously.

Paul Lancaric - Cyb...@Idirect.Com

*P.S. - If you beleive that, You'll beleive the King Cobra story too :)*

: Internet Direct. Realms of Despair! :
: (416)233-2999, 359 lines telnet realms.game.org 4000 :
: T1 bandwidth, 300-28,800 bps Endless medieval enjoyment! :
: :
: Stop by for a drink at the Internet TeleCafe -- telecafe.com 9000 :

Dave Althoff

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

TBills7736 (tbill...@aol.com) wrote:
: Well, PKI's Cobra derailed in 1984 sending 8 passengers to the hospital

: with minor injuries. I think the rear wheel assembly sheared off and the
: train skidded to a halt.

I believe this one (unlike the PKD Kobra incident someone else described)
is true...made the news in Washington, DC where I was vacationing at the
time... I am not sure about the number of injuries or their severity
(heck, that train skids to a stop every time it hits the back-brake...),
but I do know that it was a sheared wheel assembly, that it did stop the
train, and that there were no fatalities.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
--
/-\ _ _ __*** Now Open Every Day!!! ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /XX\_ _ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ _/XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\__/XXXXX\/XXXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\_/XXX\_/\_/XXXXXX

Pete Babic

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

In article <3199ef2a...@news.cybercomm.net>, twi...@cybercomm.net
says...

>On 14 May 1996 13:07:17 -0400, railb...@aol.com (Railblazer) wrote:
>
>>>I remember in the late 80's or Early '90's the King Cobra at Kings
>>>Dominion Jumped Tracks killing all passengers.
>>
>>King Cobra @ Kings Dominion? Hardly. Whatever you are referring to, PKD
or
>>PKI, neither of their stand-ups have ever had a death or serious
injury.

>He is referring to the Kings Cobra at Kings Dominion. It's know longer
>there. The deaths are just lore that kids told other kids etc. I think
>this happined to every park.

Or it might be the King Cobra at PKI. That one had a wheel assembly break
off shortly after it opened which, of course, caused the car to drag
which in turn stopped the train. Riders were removed with a cherry picker
if I'm remembering correctly. I don't think this incident caused any
injuries.

Greg Kast

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

This is a total B.S. story, but my FAVORITE rumor from PGA is that one
time, the Tidal Wave's launch mechanism went crazy, and catapulted the
first quarter of the train over the edge of the dead-end, and the whole
train got stuck. I know people who SWEAR that this is true. I love
these wacky stories like this.
GKM...@worldnet.att.net>

Icono Clast

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

DS}If I remember right, a workman on WIllard's Whizzer at PGA fell off the

}top of the ride late one night. The story I heard from a park employee
}was that he rode the ride, and decided to stand up and the top of the
}lift, fell off and died. BTW, he was supposedly drunk. Is this true or
}false?

My memory says it was a female patron, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Internet: icono...@toadhall.com (Icono Clast)

Cerra Angel

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

Hmmm...the way I heard it on the news was that there was a young boy
killed when he was getting out of the car. A caveat to this: this was
fairly long ago, so my memory may be totally wrong.

As he stood up to exit, the brakes on the car behind his which was
waiting to enter the station failed, thus ramming into his car and
knocking him out of the car. I don't remember where they said he fell or
why it killed him though.

Melissa

Scott Boccia

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

That's basically what happened. He ended up falling between the trains and was
crushed to death. Not too long after the ride reopened they had another incident in
which a train was ascending the spiral lift hill when it began to roll backwards. I
don't recall if anyone was hurt. They have since removed Willard's Wizzer.

Sonya

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

>Hmmm...the way I heard it on the news was that there was a young boy
>killed when he was getting out of the car. A caveat to this: this was
>fairly long ago, so my memory may be totally wrong.

>As he stood up to exit, the brakes on the car behind his which was
>waiting to enter the station failed, thus ramming into his car and
>knocking him out of the car. I don't remember where they said he fell or
>why it killed him though.

>Melissa

That's what I remember.. I also remember another incident there where
two boys were messing around in line and one kid got hurt, but I can't
remember when that happened.

It's a shame that they had to remove it... I really enjoyed that
coaster.

DEEKPA

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

When it's my time to go, I hope it's on a coaster! Preferably at Cedar
Point.

Guy M. Gayle

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

The injuries with PKI's King Cobra's accident were mainly of the whiplash
variety. I remember the accident. I was there the week before, riding the
back car. After the accident I couldn't wait to get back on!!!

Guy.

--

"Qui a coupe' le fromage"
- Frenching with Freakazoid

RonH33716

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

I remember before the Super dooper looper opened at Hershey park, there
was a
worker killed. He was doing some kind of maintenance on the track, the
coaster
was sent out for a test run, and the worker was struck and killed. It was
all over the news, but then that was years ago.

Ron

Icono Clast

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

IC>My memory says it was a female patron, but I wouldn't bet on it.

CA}Hmmm...the way I heard it on the news was that there was a young
}boy killed when he was getting out of the car [of Willard's
}Whizzer]. A caveat to this: this was fairly long ago, so my memory
}may be totally wrong.

CA}As he stood up to exit, the brakes on the car behind his which was

}waiting to enter the station failed, thus ramming into his car and
}knocking him out of the car. I don't remember where they said he fell or
}why it killed him though.

Your version is one that I've never before heard. That doesn't mean,
of course, that it's not true.

MullxMar

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

Another Kings Dominionstory, more likely to be true thanm the King Cobra
one, involved the Grizzly. Some kid stood up and got decapitated. Anybody
hear about this, or know whether it's true? It was about the mid 80s I
think.

0021...@ysub.ysu.edu

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

In the 1960's a boy was thrown from the Thunderbolt and killed. There used to
be a speed bump at the bottom of the third drop (the chain hill). He was
standing up when the train hit the speed bump and was thrown onto the pavement
just outside the Potatoe Patch.

Nathan

Dave Althoff

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

0021...@ysub.ysu.edu wrote:
: In the 1960's a boy was thrown from the Thunderbolt and killed. There used to

Folks, when we come by this station again, I want to get off... 8-)

Unless I'm mistaken, we covered this accident...and still no one has dug
up the exact date for my Almanac...

Mark Matthews

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

How about the worker killed 20 years ago in Wildwood's Hunts pier on
the mine train coaster who rode the coaster standing up... untill he
ws flung off..

Also.. Does the Great Noreaster death of last year where an employee
was kicked in the head accidentally by a rider count..

Mark

Timarimba

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

A few years ago I remember reading about an accident in Edmonton, Alberta.
A lady was killed, though I can't remember exactly how but I think the
train came off the track right before it was about to go into a loop.
This was in a mall in Edmonton that had an amusement park indoors. Anyone
know more about this?
Tim

TBills7736

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

Yes that's true. In 1986, a train from the Mindbender at West Edmonton
Mall derailed before entering the first loop. The rear wheel assembly
sheared off causing the train to leave the track. The two people in the
back car were decapitated(if I remember right) and i other person fell out
of the front car after the train stalled in the loop. Please remember
this is only what I heard. But yes its true it derailed and people were
killed

Richard Bonner

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

*** As a followup to my post on The "Mindbender" accident, I wish to
clarify that the bolts did not shear but instead loosened and fell off.
Thus the car body separated from the axle and bogie assembly.

There were bolts that did indeed break and others that showed fatique
cracks, but the direct cause of the accident was the loss of those four bolts
which held a retaining plate to the housing containing the wheel trucks.

Just thought I'd clarify that to save you eagle-eyed coaster-accident
buffs a post. (-:

Richard Bonner

Managing Director:
The Coaster Enthusiasts of Canada
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/CEC/CEC.html

John C Green Jr

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

tima...@aol.com (Timarimba) wrote:

A few years ago I had a business trip to Munchen, West
Germany (when there was a West Germany) to visit a very small
company that operated out of a private residence. The
salesman on the account told me that the company was founded
to design rollercoasters. I thought he might have heard from
other employees that I was a coaster nut and was pulling my
leg. However it was true. I had a very interesting evening
talking to the president over some German beers.

Schwartzkopf had farmed out the job of calculating the
Mindbender loop to this tiny company. It took a week on a VAX
750! They gave him the full numerical control pipe bending
machine tapes and full scale gauges to test the results. They
also advised that the pipes MUST be bent by numerical control
and not by hand/eye to make the track gauge (no pun
intended).

Error #1 was bending the pipe by hand.

Error #2 was the customer never translating the German
maintenance manuals into English. Thus they maintained the
coaster by experience and rule of thumb rather than to the
manufacturer's specifications.

The accident happened when metal fatigue caused the support
for one set of rear wheels on the last car to fail. Thus the
rear end of the last car ceased to be held to the rails. As
the train went through the loop intense pressure was exerted
on the front wheels of the last car as its rear end hung
below the track. This pressure caused the train to stall in
the loop. Three passengers in the rear car fell to their
deaths.

Schwartzkopf went bankrupt. The company I was visiting lost
its only achterbahn customer and had to find a new business.
- - -
Internet Marketing and Business Development
21483 Old Mine Rd (408)353-1870
Los Gatos CA 95030 JCG...@ix.netcom.com

* Sunshine *

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

First time poster.

I'm going to Six Flags over Georgia next week and was wondering
if there are any good rollercoasters at the park.

Thanks.

-Sunshine

Robert Ulrich

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96
to * Sunshine *

Ride the "big six" at Six Flags Over Georgia:

Georgia Cyclone - a cy-CLONE but one of the best woodies anywhere; can
be relentless or mild. Ride 1st in the day and then last at night and
compare the rides.

Great American Scream Machine - an out-and-back wooden coaster that was
the best when it opened in the early seventies, and still a fun ride.

The Mindbender - a classic steel looper with no over-the-shoulder
restraints. Fast, fun and smooth.

The Ninja - a 5 loop monster that can ride rather rough. (The middle
section is less rough this year.)

The Viper - a shuttle loop that shoots you 0-60 mph in 6 seconds,
through a loop and then you do it backwards. A fun ride with not too
bad a line.

The Dahlonega Mine Train - one of the first steel coasters. Not too
exciting but kids learn on this one.

If you go to special store (Attitudes, Defined Ego and Swampwater
Jacks) you can get a card to be validated after riding every coaster.
Turn in the card after riding all six and you get a pin and are entered
in a drawing for a lifetime season pass to Six Flags.

ansley

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Robert Ulrich <robert...@meritus.com> wrote:

>Ride the "big six" at Six Flags Over Georgia:

>Georgia Cyclone - a cy-CLONE but one of the best woodies anywhere; can
>be relentless or mild. Ride 1st in the day and then last at night and
>compare the rides.

Yes! Ride the GA Cyclone late at night in the back seat! You'll be in for
quite a ride at that time. One of the best wooden coasters in the world with
lots of airtime.

>Great American Scream Machine - an out-and-back wooden coaster that was
>the best when it opened in the early seventies, and still a fun ride.

>The Mindbender - a classic steel looper with no over-the-shoulder
>restraints. Fast, fun and smooth.

>The Ninja - a 5 loop monster that can ride rather rough. (The middle
>section is less rough this year.)

>The Viper - a shuttle loop that shoots you 0-60 mph in 6 seconds,
>through a loop and then you do it backwards. A fun ride with not too
>bad a line.

>The Dahlonega Mine Train - one of the first steel coasters. Not too
>exciting but kids learn on this one.

>If you go to special store (Attitudes, Defined Ego and Swampwater
>Jacks) you can get a card to be validated after riding every coaster.
>Turn in the card after riding all six and you get a pin and are entered
>in a drawing for a lifetime season pass to Six Flags.

Ted Ansley **Rollercoaster Fan<atic>**
MD/DC ACE Regional Rep
ans...@annap.infi.net

DWHEGLER

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Yes,

They have a new roller coaster from last year called the "Viper". It is 1
train coaster than launches rides at 60mph in less than 6 seconds through
a loop and backwards again thru the loading camber. It is a good ride.

They also have a coaster called "Ninja". It is a steel coaster than send
rides in three loops and several corkscrews.

The Georgia Cyclone is a good ride but rough. The first time I rode it
was in the back and I could not tell what was coming up next. It lives
its name "Cyclone". The back seat jerks the worst.

DWHE...@aol.com

Rick Kon

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

>First time poster.

>Thanks.

>-Sunshine
I've never been there, but i DO know that Ninja rules! I know that
because i rode it when it used to be the Kamikaze in Wildwood, NJ.

Jason Pickens

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

In <4qg3vt$l...@goodnews.voicenet.com> rik...@voicenet.com (Rick Kon)
writes:

There are a few goos coasters at Six Flags Over Ga, but nothing out of
the ordinary. The new thing for this year is the Skycoaster. It is a
flight simulating attraction. The only thing with this is that due to
the few amout of ppl that could ride in a day, there is a upcharge..
but believe me... its worth it!
also there are a total of 6 coasters (Ninja, Mine Train, Cyclone,
Viper, Mindbender, and Great American Scream Machine) all are decent,
my favorite is the Scream Machiene (a simple wood coaster but with
style)

Hope Ive been helpful.
Jason
Site Controller
Skycoaster (SFoG)

Christee

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

Rick Kon wrote:

> * Sunshine * <su...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> >First time poster.
>
> >I'm going to Six Flags over Georgia next week and was wondering
> >if there are any good rollercoasters at the park.
>
> >Thanks.
>
> >-Sunshine
> I've never been there, but i DO know that Ninja rules! I know that
> because i rode it when it used to be the Kamikaze in Wildwood, NJ.

I love it haer at Six Flags GA. I think there are 5 or 6
rollercoasters. Her are its names and descriptions:

Ninja: Steel track corkscrews and I think 3 inversions.

Viper: Steel one looper but it shoots you out of the loading tunnel from
0-60 before you hit the loop. Then you do the loop and go up a
straight hill and do it backwards.

Great Americain scream machine: Woodie, I personally love it but its not
my favorite. My favorite is either the Cyclone or Mind Bender. About
the scream machine it has Three main drops the rest are all up and
downs.

Cyclone: I think it is a replica to the New york ride But I love it.
Its also a woodie. lots of fun.

Mind bender: Metal in which you do two inversions with only a lap
bar.(pretty cool huh?) big slanting turns.

Mine train: Three lifts big drop at end.

heres the rides you should ride in order:

Ninja: line gets long fast
Cyclone: " " " "
Mind Bender """""""
Scream machine
Viper
Mine train

You should also ride water rides throughout the day.

fncz

Aug 28, 2014, 6:45:03 PM8/28/14
A good friend of mine managed the T-Bolt for a season after working the winter in maintenance.
The story of the 1968 death was told to me that he was a single rider, changing seats mid-ride and was thrown into the Turtle area. It was a fatality. Also a similar incident occurred later that year, same thing, changing seats, but he landed on the roof of the THUNDERBOLT and was not seriously injured.
Ever notice that hard "bump" when the Thunderbolt enters the station? It used to be smooth as glass, but one evening in 1984, the T-Bolt team took a train off and did not reset the switch. The train went onto the side rail (relatively slowly) and hit the rear of the train on that area, pushing the train into the one infront of it. I know this is true because I was in the front seat that run. The look on the young lady's face when she realized we were going to go right instead of straight was priceless. I bruised my knee but hey.....WOW!
Frank Czuri

Marshall

Aug 29, 2014, 8:41:18 AM8/29/14
Really?!?

Whats with the recent spate of Necros around here? This thread is 18 YEARS old!

dashof...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2015, 9:21:06 AM7/29/15
I'm not sure of the date, but someone was working on the Sooperdooperlooper loop and they were testing it, as they were testing it, they were not aware of a man working on the loop. They started the ride, and the car hit the man and killed him.

myselfalso

Jul 30, 2015, 11:19:48 AM7/30/15
On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 9:21:06 AM UTC-4, dashof...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm not sure of the date, but someone was working on the Sooperdooperlooper loop and they were testing it, as they were testing it, they were not aware of a man working on the loop. They started the ride, and the car hit the man and killed him.

That happened in the afternoon of August 25, 1977. The ride had been closed for several hours at the time. Reports indicate he was struck by the train not in the loop, but in the brakes behind the station.

tagga...@comcast.net

Aug 8, 2015, 10:34:10 AM8/8/15
My friend David Setmire was killed on the Thunderbolt at Kennywood in 1968. My understanding has always been that the safety bar released & he was thrown from his seat - CBS Saturday morning just did a segment on this roller coaster & all I could think of was David.

ibs...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2017, 7:28:15 PM4/6/17
On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 10:34:10 AM UTC-4, tagga...@comcast.net wrote:
> My friend David Setmire was killed on the Thunderbolt at Kennywood in 1968. My understanding has always been that the safety bar released & he was thrown from his seat - CBS Saturday morning just did a segment on this roller coaster & all I could think of was David.

David was my friend too! I believe you're correct that the safety bar released and he flew out one of the rear cars. We used to hang out at Oakford Park in the summers. I still think of him...

ajma...@gmail.com

May 28, 2018, 10:52:24 AM5/28/18
I find it kind of funny, I’m on my way to kennywood today, it’s a family tradition to go on Memorial Day, and I started reading through these posts. It’s funny how people reference the steel phantom when 3 years after some of these posts it was removed. It’s like these threads are a time capsule. It’s crazy to think that these conversations and words were typed 22 years ago. Truly insane, makes me think.

hfet...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2019, 4:15:30 PM3/31/19
On Monday, April 22, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, tgreg wrote:
> While reading the Roller Coaster Almanac, I found out about alot
> of deaths on roller coasters that I never heard of before. I live
> in PA, and only recently heard of sombody being thrown from the
> SuperDooperLooper at Hersheypark. Somebody told me that it used
> to have 6 loops in it, but it was remodeled after this fatal
> accident. What is the real story on this? I also never heard of
> somebody being thrown from Colossus. One thing that I didn't see
> on the Almanac was when somebody died in 1968 on the brand new
> Thunderbolt at Kennywood. Maybe I just overlooked it. Can anyone
> give me the real story on the SuperDooperLooper and any of the
> other coasters?
My name is Janet Rowe Henry. My pastor, at the time, Rev. Hurst was with David before he died. David told him that he was dared to stand up. He did as the Thunderbolt went around a curve. He flew out. He lived 3 hrs. after it happened.

hfet...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2019, 4:44:35 PM3/31/19
On Monday, April 22, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, tgreg wrote:
> While reading the Roller Coaster Almanac, I found out about alot
> of deaths on roller coasters that I never heard of before. I live
> in PA, and only recently heard of sombody being thrown from the
> SuperDooperLooper at Hersheypark. Somebody told me that it used
> to have 6 loops in it, but it was remodeled after this fatal
> accident. What is the real story on this? I also never heard of
> somebody being thrown from Colossus. One thing that I didn't see
> on the Almanac was when somebody died in 1968 on the brand new
> Thunderbolt at Kennywood. Maybe I just overlooked it. Can anyone
> give me the real story on the SuperDooperLooper and any of the
> other coasters?

Hello, My name is Janet Rowe Henry. My pastor, at the time, Rev. Hurst, was with David before he died. It was Hempfield's School picnic. David told him he was dared to stand up. He did. As the Thunderbolt went around a curve David was thrown out. He lived 3 hrs.

thekma...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2019, 6:02:32 AM4/2/19
If all one can contribute to a thread is a comment about
how "old" it is, then they should keep that to themself.

Roller coasters and airliners have two of the lowest
death rates of any activity out there.

milst1

Apr 2, 2019, 8:45:28 AM4/2/19
On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 6:02:32 AM UTC-4, thekma...@gmail.com wrote:
> If all one can contribute to a thread is a comment about
> how "old" it is, then they should keep that to themself.

What an obnoxious thing to say. It was a perfectly reasonable comment.

thekma...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2019, 1:08:10 PM4/2/19
milst1 wrote: "What an obnoxious thing to say. It was a perfectly reasonable comment. "

A "perfectly reasonable" comment contributes something actually
POSITIVE or helpful to the thread or conversation - be it started
last week, last decade, or last century.

None

Apr 2, 2019, 5:53:53 PM4/2/19
Theckmah (thekma @ dumbfucks.shortbus.edu) gibbered in message

> milst1 wrote: "What an obnoxious thing to say. It was a perfectly
> reasonable comment. "
>
> A "perfectly reasonable" comment contributes something actually
> POSITIVE or helpful to the thread or conversation

You are not the moderator. There is no moderator here, although you're
obviously too retarded to understand that. You don’t make the rules; there
are no rules. You are just an obnoxious whining dumb-fuck. HTH. LB. FCKWAFA!

daffy

Apr 3, 2019, 11:00:52 PM4/3/19
Message has been deleted

kcol...@gmail.com