Wearing glasses on rides at Dorney park and Hersheypark

Dan Ch.

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
Do the ride attendants at Dorney park and Hersheypark allow people
to wear their glasses on rides when they are secured with a strap?
I am particularly interested in the glasses policy for the Dominator
ride at Dorney Park (which I think consists of both a space shot and
a turbo drop ride). In a situation where glasses are not allowed even
when secured with a strap, is there a place to leave them without
paying a locker fee?

Another question (unrelated):
According to Dorney's web site, the day that I am planning to visit
the park, which is this coming Friday, is Coaster Quest day. Does
anyone happen to have any idea on what impact this will have on
crowds and wait times for the coasters?

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.

Dan Ch.
Remove "nospam" if replying via e-mail.

Dave Althoff Jr

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
Dan Ch. (danc...@flash.nospam.net) wrote:
: Do the ride attendants at Dorney park and Hersheypark allow people

: to wear their glasses on rides when they are secured with a strap?
: I am particularly interested in the glasses policy for the Dominator
: ride at Dorney Park (which I think consists of both a space shot and
: a turbo drop ride). In a situation where glasses are not allowed even
: when secured with a strap, is there a place to leave them without
: paying a locker fee?

At Hersheypark they allow people to wear their glasses on rides when they
are NOT secured with a strap...I know that from experience. My experience
was similar at Dorney Park the last time I was there, but they have since
added the Dominator and Steel Force. My suspicion is that you'll be OK
with a strap on all rides, and probably okay without a strap on all rides
except possibly Dominator.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
--
/^\ _ _ *** Opening Real Soon Now! ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _ _____

Sandy A. Nicolaysen

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
Dave: I wear glasses and I was at Dorney yesterday. I forgot to
bring a strap, but no one made me remove my glasses, not even on Steel
Force, Dominator, Wild Mouse, Hercules, or Thunderhawk. My glasses
didn't fall off once during the day.

- Sandy

On 8 May 2000 09:22:38 -0400, dal...@gcfn.org (Dave Althoff Jr)

ChAuNsEy

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
the PERFECT solution to this question is.... get contacts! :-) thats what i
did, and it's the best thing in the world that i have ever done. :-)

©µaüNšë¥-- Noone knows me :-( i need to be known!! :-)

#1 steel- Steel Force@DP
#1 wood- Pheonix@knoebels ( gotta love the high lapbars)

Dave Althoff Jr

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
ChAuNsEy (ratha...@aol.comnomail) wrote:
: the PERFECT solution to this question is.... get contacts! :-) thats what i

: did, and it's the best thing in the world that i have ever done. :-)

Sorry, that's a far from perfect solution.

Compared with glasses, contact lenses are extremely high maintenance,
cannot correct for some vision deficiencies, and when you are riding a
coaster, provide no protection from wind and debris.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
Who would have probably invested in protective eyewear for coasters if
he wasn't already nearsighted...

RSteven850

May 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/8/00
In article <ycsR4.9161$wb7.7...@news.flash.net>, "Dan Ch."
<danc...@flash.nospam.net> writes:

>Do the ride attendants at Dorney park and Hersheypark allow people

>to wear their glasses on rides when they are secured with a strap?
>I am particularly interested in the glasses policy for the Dominator
>ride at Dorney Park (which I think consists of both a space shot and
>a turbo drop ride). In a situation where glasses are not allowed even
>when secured with a strap, is there a place to leave them without
>paying a locker fee?

No problems, I wore my sunglasses with a strap on both sides of Dominator, on
the skyscaper, and on Steel Force this past Saturday. On Dominator, like all
the S&S rides I've seen, there're little baskets in front of each row of seats
to leave small items in. The skyscaper also has a basket for loose items.

Roz
remove outtake to reply

Big Shot Rules!

Jason Hartzell

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
On 8 May 2000 15:52:42 -0400, dal...@gcfn.org (Dave Althoff Jr)
wrote:

>ChAuNsEy (ratha...@aol.comnomail) wrote:

>: the PERFECT solution to this question is.... get contacts! :-) thats what i
>: did, and it's the best thing in the world that i have ever done. :-)
>
>Sorry, that's a far from perfect solution.
>
>Compared with glasses, contact lenses are extremely high maintenance,
>cannot correct for some vision deficiencies, and when you are riding a
>coaster, provide no protection from wind and debris.

Some of this I agree with, and some I don't. I know use disposable
contacts, and they are anything but high maintenance. I actually have
to clean my glasses several times a day.....

I don't wear glasses on coasters any more. Many many moons ago, I lost
a pair on Colossus. I was very young, I got in a lot of trouble, and
now if I don't have contacts in, I take my glasses off and go blind.

Sometimes that's a bit more thrilling.

Contacts have worked great, for the most part. But going to Dorney I
would be concerned about contacts on Steel Force. Only because of my
past problems with contacts on Desperado and Goliath. I was at SFMM
back in March, and going down the first hill on Goliath, first thing
in the morning, front row, the high speed/wind pulled a contact back,
under my eyelid. Folded. THAT SUCKS! IT REALLY REALLY SUCKS! By the
time I got my contact straighted out, we were heading into the high G
turns at the end, and I had missed half the ride with my eyes watering
as if I had cut up a dozen onions. I wanted to jump back in line, but
by then the line went all the way down the Bugs Bunny World. Heck with
that.

Contacts usually work fine, but the wind can be pain in the butt, and
they cause me to squint an awful lot. Every ride picture I have of
myself w/contacts, it looks almost like my eyes are closed...

jason

CoasterKon

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
I was working at Hersheypark on Sunday (on the Wild Mouse ride), and at least
one person lost their glasses (they were later retrieved). Many more people
lost their hats, which were also later retrieved. Your best bet is to hold
onto them if you have any doubts about them staying on your head.

CoasterKon Conrad - proud attendee of Knoebel's for 33 years and
counting...http://www.knoebels.com/.

ChAuNsEy

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
i've never ever had a problem w/ wind or debris, i don't think they're high
maintenance, you put em in solution every night- not a hard thing i like it

Dennis or Karen Eichorst

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Not quite perfect when you border on legal blindnes without corrective lenses
and the only contacts you can wear are torics which have (in my case anyway)
an eight-hour maximum wear-time per day.
I've not been to a lot of parks but have been fortunate so far that a Croakie
has been acceptable eveywhere I've gone. Rode Mamba at WoF last year without
my glasses because I forgot the Croakie and hated the ride because I couldn't
see anything.

Karen