US Transit Can be Done Right (was Re: Corrupt CHSRA playing fast and loose)

david parsons

Mar 25, 2004, 11:50:08 AM3/25/04
In article <40628E4C...@erols.com>,
Brian Robinson OR Carol Goter Robinson OR Bill Robinson <wr...@erols.com> wrote:

>For all it's talk of "urban planning", Portland seems to "get" neither
>historic preservation NOR the idea of not increasing the incentive for
>auto use downtown.

The COP fought vigorously against putting a parking garage in
Pioneer Courthouse, but the federal government eventually said
"Fine, we'll condemn the building and then we can do whatever
we damned well want."

____
david parsons \bi/ As for the Fox theatre, at least it got rid of that
\/ stupid whale mural.

david parsons

Mar 25, 2004, 2:03:32 PM3/25/04
In article <brasil98-240...@69-30-8-122.pxd.easystreet.com>,
bras...@despammed.com <bras...@despammed.com> wrote:
>In article <c3sr97$d...@pell.portland.or.us>, o...@pell.portland.or.us
>(david parsons) wrote:
>
>> trolley stops are needed at 4-5th and 6-Broadway to provide
>> transfers to the transit mall (you can't put them between 5-6th
>> because the thrice-damned GSA is going to hack a big old parking
>> ramp into the side of Pioneer Courthouse.) Galleria could (and
>

>There are a few parking garages that empty out into the transit mall.

I can't recall any offhand, but busses are shorter than the two
car trains that are operated on the interurban line and put the
passenger closer to the ground when disembarking, so it's fairly
easy to just not foul the driveway. As for where the GSA is going
to put the ramp for the stupid parking lot, that ramp would go right
where the front door on one of the Bombardier cars is, and that
would make a fairly long last step.

____
david parsons \bi/ Portland could always put an El through downtown.
\/