I visited Gary Union Station and it looks like crap!

Khalid Rahim

Oct 23, 2003, 2:25:02 AM10/23/03
abandoned train station near the Gary Metro Center stop on the South
Shore Railway is in terrible shape.

If only Americans could look up from their fast food and get out of
their SUVs and PONY UP to fix such priceless buildings.

Michael G. Koerner

Oct 23, 2003, 2:53:54 AM10/23/03

There is a LOT more in Gary (assuming that you mean 'Gary, Indiana') to
be fixed up than just its old station. The whole city is an basically a
crumbling gritty urban/industrial wasteland. Other nearby places (ie:
Chicago, Merrillville, etc) command more local attention and are far
better off.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

abdul rahim

Oct 27, 2003, 11:02:21 AM10/27/03
the entire upper midwest needs to be sawed off and floated out to sea.

Steve Hall

Oct 27, 2003, 7:23:14 PM10/27/03
If they would only realize that these old structures bring TOURIST, which
also means MONEY, to the town, they would protect them.

Here in Tunnel Hill, GA, we have preserved and restored the OLDEST
railroad tunnel in the South, a $1.2 million project, and are now in the
process of opening up a museum at the site. We are also working on
acquiring the original Tunnel Hill Depot, which was one of the stops for
Pres. Jefferson Davis while on his way to Montgomery to be sworn in as
President of the Confederacy! The Great Locomotive Chase also went through
this small town, along with many supply and troop trains for BOTH sides. In
addition, there were no fewer than SIX battles for control of the town and
the tunnel.

--
Steve Hall
Commander - Lt. Col. Wm. M. Luffman Camp #938 SCV - Chatsworth, GA

"Khalid Rahim" <tarkania...@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message

Jordan Bettis

Oct 27, 2003, 10:14:18 PM10/27/03
garth....@spamgourmet.com (abdul rahim) writes:

And just where do you live Mr. Geography Wizz?

--
Jordan Bettis <http://www.hafd.org/~jordanb>
Bjarne Stroustrup strikes me as a guy who desperately wants to be Dennis

Silas Warner

Oct 27, 2003, 11:56:24 PM10/27/03
Steve Hall wrote:

> If they would only realize that these old structures bring TOURIST, which
> also means MONEY, to the town, they would protect them.

I sincerely doubt that the Gary South Shore station would draw
any tourists. It;s a very plain wooden clapboard house surrounded
by a large high platform practically a twin to the new concrete
structure across the street.

Noth stations stand between the Suth Shore teacks, and that's one
reason the old station will never reopen. Trains now tear past
the platforms at moderate speed: tourists on those platforms
would be in grave danger. In fact, I'm surprised that eitheer
NICTD or the city hasn't torn it down.

Silas Warner

Steve Hall

Oct 30, 2003, 9:35:16 PM10/30/03
This may be true of this structure, but you never really know. When I,
along with a handful of others, tried to get something done with the tunnel
about 20 years ago, no one was interested. We only got a few articles in
the local newspapers, but no action. Then, in 1992, CSX came along and
decided to do some drainage work near the "new tunnel" (1928) through which
their line still runs. Since no one had ever done anything with the old
tunnel, they decided that this was a good place to dump the dirt they dug
out of the drainage ditches, can't say I blame them since at that time you
could barely see the tunnel for the kudzu during all but the months of Jan.
through March. This work woke the local people up and the work was stopped
within two days. A week later I received a call from the mayor to bring my
research paper on the tunnel, which I had written for a college class only
six months earlier, to a meeting with the railroad.
Here comes the funny part: The six railroad people were sitting at the
large table with the city council, in the TUNNEL HILL city hall. The leader
of the railroad group started his presentation and the first words out of
his mouth were that the tunnel was NOT that important a structure! He
apparently didn't realize for some reason that the city was NAMED for the
structure he said was not important! He should have gathered that the
tunnel was at least important to the city of Tunnel Hill, after all, the
city was named for it! The mayor turned to me and asked me to bring up my
research. I did so and, as I was telling them about some of the history of
the structure, I started laying out some of the pictures I had taken of the
structure for my report. I knew we had them when three of the six came
around the table to get a closer look at the pictures and started commenting
on different features of the construction! The other three "railroad" men
were apparently pencil pushers, but these three were real railroad men! The
leader of the group just sat there in silence, knowing he had lost when he
saw the interest of his own people in this structure.

--

"Silas Warner" <si...@value.net> wrote in message