Re: FAKE EBAY AND PAYPALPOSTING/EMAIL

1 view

Steve

Jul 19, 2004, 6:41:47 AM7/19/04
Beware of these e-mails, ALSO, the same thing is being done for PAYPAL!!
BOTH Ebay and Paypal will NEVER ask you for this information via e-mail.
If you respond to them, they look EXACTLY like Ebay and Paypal.
I would not even respond to it.  Just forward them to sp...@ebay.com
and I believe the other is sp...@paypal.com.
If you click on the link given by them you can "sign in" with bogus username and passwords.
BEWARE!!!!
You folks might want to pass this around to everyone and list it in other groups.
=====================================

Daphne + Dave wrote:

Seems there is a FAKE EMAIL send from someone other that Ebay asking fer
Verification of Account Info.
Sent a reposnce to sp...@paypal.com  They say it's NOT from them!  Watch
out!!!!!

Subject: TKO Notice: Bruteforcing Attempts on your eBay account

      Five password bruteforcing attems were performed on your eBay account.

      You must register and ID Verify certificate in order to remain in the
eBay Community.
      Dear eBay Community Member,
      You (or someone else) has attempted to log in with your eBay ID and 5
diffrent wrong passwords.

      According to our site policy you will have to confirm that you are the
real owner of the eBay account by completing the following form or else your
account will be suspended within 24 hours for investigations.

      Establish your proof of identity with ID Verify (free of charge) - an
easy way to help others trust you as their trading partner. The process
takes about 5 minutes to complete and involves updating your eBay
information. When you're successfully verified, you will receive an ID
Verify icon  in your feedback profile. Currently, the service is only
available to residents of the United States and U.S. territories (Puerto
Rico, US Virgin Islands and Guam.)

      Confirm my account information and continue beeing a member of the
eBay Online Auction Community.

      Never share your eBay password to anyone!

 [Image]

Harry Conover

Jul 19, 2004, 7:14:22 PM7/19/04
Steve <Lafayet...@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<40FBA615...@optonline.net>...

> Beware of these e-mails, ALSO, the same thing is being done for PAYPAL!!
> BOTH Ebay and Paypal will NEVER ask you for this information via e-mail.
> If you respond to them, they look EXACTLY like Ebay and Paypal.

Actually they will not when you look closely. Any form legitimately
requesting sensitive personal data will via a 128-bit, encrypted,
secure link, NOT email, and SCAM ARTISTS are incapable of duplicating
these. (Email is not secure.)

Both Explorer and Netscape contain icons at the bottom of the browser
window to show when such a secure link has been established and in
effect with your computer, and both allow you to check the security
level established, and inspect their certification credentials (the
security Certificate that they hold) for authenticity.

Normally eBay and Paypal go through this ritual only when you are
first open your account and is required.

You'll see the identical security measured being taken when doing
online business with any reputable dealer when credit card number are
needed, and also when you access your "On-Line Banking" with
Bankamerica, Fleet, Citicorp, and Chase Bank. In fact, you won't even
be asked to enter your password or PIN number except via a secure,
encrypted link.

Harry C.

Steve

Jul 20, 2004, 12:25:33 AM7/20/04
That is true, but the danger is toward the new computer user
that does not have a clue.
73

Mbt6

Jul 20, 2004, 10:39:00 AM7/20/04
Don't be so sure.....

check out
http://www.antiphishing.org/
and go down the page 1/2 way to "Recent Phishing Attacks". The financial
industry is seeing about 1 to 2 really good attempts at this every single
day. And you can be certain, these guys are gettting really good. While most
are not using the 128 bit encryption, some are.

--mike

"Steve" <Lafayet...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Harry Conover

Jul 20, 2004, 5:07:56 PM7/20/04
"Mbt6" <mb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<88ydnbeDGew...@comcast.com>...

> Don't be so sure.....
>
> check out
> http://www.antiphishing.org/
> and go down the page 1/2 way to "Recent Phishing Attacks". The financial
> industry is seeing about 1 to 2 really good attempts at this every single
> day. And you can be certain, these guys are gettting really good. While most
> are not using the 128 bit encryption, some are.
>
> --mike

Mike, I stand by what I previously posted.

I suggest that you go back and more carefully re-read it before
dismissing it's factual content.

Learn what a secure link is, and how its use is indicated on your web
browser screen.

Learn how to check the seurity level of the link, read its
Certificate, see which security firm issued the certificate, its
expiration date, etc.

Every single one of the "Recent Phishing Attacks" that are cited
represent rather crude email bait, some leading to a non-secured,
non-encrypted, and obviously scam URL that aim to fool only the most
naive and inexperienced net users who evidently never bother to employ
common sense

Of course it's precisely these net ignorant users that are the targets
of the scammers, and nothing except learning how to employ the
security measures alrady existing on the web is going to protect them
from really stupid acts based total upon their own to learn how the
system operates prior to using it.

It's very similar to the confidence artists of current and earlier
generations who relied on the ignorance and/or greed of their victims
for success in perpetrating their scams. All scams that I have seen
rely on one or the other of these factors being present in order to
rip someone off of something. On top of that, these scammers justify
their actions as an educational exercise of value to their victim,
which in many cases it certainly is.

Harry C.

p.s. When bidding on eBay, there are a number of measures that you can
employ to protect yourself from being scammer. Always carefully check
the sellers feedback and how long he has been a member of eBay. Be
wary of "Power Sellers" since these are usually firms that market mass
volumes of usually "distressed" merchandise. Be particularly wary of
sellers having zero feedback, particularly if they have been a member
of eBay for less than a month or two. (Prior to bidding, communicate
with these new sellers by email and learn what their story is,
realizing that someone selling on eBay has to start somewhere. Still,
it's most unusual to find a seller on eBay that has not accumulated
some level of positive feedback previously as a buyer. It should be
regarded as suspicious when that is not the case.)

Dan Busetti

Jul 21, 2004, 10:49:41 PM7/21/04
By the way, if you haven't changed your Ebay and Paypal passwords
lately, now is a good time to change them. NEVER use a link from an
email to access a site that should be secure- or you hope or think is
secure. Use your bookmark.

Steve

Jul 21, 2004, 11:05:28 PM7/21/04
BRAVO!!!!

Mike Coslo

Jul 22, 2004, 8:23:36 AM7/22/04

Ahh, the Ebay Guild is born! Only buy off good established sellers.
Those new ones are gonna scam ya.

Mybe that's a good idea. The established sellers can band together to
keep new people out.

- Mike -

Harry Conover

Jul 22, 2004, 5:30:33 PM7/22/04
Mike Coslo <mjc5r...@psu.edu> wrote in message news:<40FFB1C8...@psu.edu>...

> Ahh, the Ebay Guild is born! Only buy off good established sellers.
> Those new ones are gonna scam ya.

Mike, that's a pretty bizarre interpretation of what I posted. I was
simply sharing my experience gained though something like 5 years of
buying and selling on eBay with the newcomers.

If you want to purchase a "pig in a poke" from a seller with zero
feedback it's certainly your option to do so and eBay or its
established sellers can do nothing to prevent you from doing so. Then
too, if a seller has zero feedback most people would consider it
prudent to contact the seller by email and determine the facts of the
situation.

I personally purchased a HP LJ4+ laser printer from a seller on eBay
with zero feedback, but only after an email conversation with him
(since this was an over $100 item plus signigicant shipping expense).
In fact, I was the very first to provide him with positive feedback.

Realize the facts. On eBay, the majority of fraud stems from sellers
with zero feedback offering highly underpriced popular items who
insist on payment by a money order (which once cashed is essentially
untraceable). Be afraid when you run into this pattern...be very
afraid!

Be aware of the importance of feedback on eBay, because like a D&B
report, it paints a picture of the seller's or buyer's past history
and performance. Without reading it, you are flying blind!

If you check out my feedback on eBay, you'll learn that since Feb 15,
1999, I've accumulated a total of 313 postive feedbacks (a score of
223 positives since repeat purchase or sales to the same person don't
count), plus one neutral from a woman who praised my packing and fast
shipping, but claimed that the sealed-in-box antique Cabbage Patch
Doll that I sold here "smelled like smoke". Just for the record, the
majority of my feedback score stems from items that I have purchased
over the years, since I've been only selling since the beginning of
the year (roughly 25 items so far this year).

As a seller, I make it a practice to try and ship out an item the day
after the auction ends, provided he/she (the buyer) has substantial
positive feedback and no negatives even though I have not yet received
payment. (I haven't been burned by anyone yet!) Obviously if I
received immediate Paypal payment I ship on the next business day,
regardless of the buyer's feedback.

Frankly speaking, on eBay the more new sellers the better, because it
expands both the quantity and variety of items being offered for sale.

> Mybe that's a good idea. The established sellers can band together to
> keep new people out.

Are you normally a believer in conspiracy theories? :-) As a new
seller, I can't imagine how such a thing could even be done, or any
reason that anyone would want to! I sell collectable, antique computer
game software, ham radio and research components, radiation detection
equipment, technical items, etc. Who would it possibly benefit to keep
any of my items from being listed on eBay, and sold on eBay as most of
them are?

Think about it.

Harry C.