Hallowe'en Hollers

1 view

JERRY NORMANDIN

Oct 16, 1994, 5:23:31 PM10/16/94
In article <7820...@f769.n115.z1.ftn>, Marg_...@mindlink.bc.ca (Marg Meikle) writes:
>I'm attempting to collect some regional sayings and celebrations for
>Hallowe'en. Here in Vancouver, Canada we knock on the door and shout
>"Trick or Treat" ... although kids today are appalled if you suggest that
>they might have to perform a trick for a treat. And we have fireworks
>shows in neighbourhoods afterwards.
>
>In the prairies I know that a lot of people say "Hallowe'en Apples" and I
>understand that in Toronto folks use the "Shell out, Shell out, the
>witches are out" line.
>
>Any more? Any thoughts? Any ideas? All most appreciated.
>
>Marg Meikle

When I was a kid we took dog manure and placed it in a paper bag doused
with gasoline. we placed the bag on a welcome mat, lit the bag on fire,
rang the doorbell, and ran like hell. Thats how we celebrated halloween
when I was 14 years old. Also we stuck pinholes in raw eggs and burried
them in early October. We dug the eggs up on October 31 for our egg fights
with the buch of kids four blocks away. They always threw fresh eggs at us.
We threw no egg befire it's time! Gee they smelt terrible!

As we were growing up we threw Halloween parties. I think the gorriest one of
all was held in a mortuary! A friend of ours grandfather owned a mortuary.. we
held a halloween party there, complete with party favors, embalming fluid,
bobbing for french fries, you name it.
MAN... no wonder I only take my three boys to family for candy!

dteb r
hrough Ad impla