Beginner Cant Pick up a Single Station in San Francisco

Mike Chambers

Dec 24, 2006, 4:18:48 PM12/24/06
I am a beginner trying to get into Shortwave and DXing. I have a SONY
ICF-SW7600 that I used to use to pick up major SW broadcasters such as
BBC, DW and Radio Netherlands (about 10 years ago).

However, I cannot pick up a single SW station at all. I am in San
Francisco, California, and have scanned almost all frequencies both at
night and during the day. I even tried rigging up a simple antennae
using some wire, but still I cannot pick up a single SW station.

I have tried to receive in various areas of my house, including ground
level, first floor, and outside.

So, does anyone know of a strong SW station that you can pick up in San
Francisco / Northern California? I am trying to figure out if the
problem is my receiver.

Does this sound like a problem with my receiver?

I am researching a new one, but don't want to get one if I am not going
to be able to pick anything up in my area.

Thanks for any help...

mike

mikech...@gmail.com

David

Dec 24, 2006, 7:03:56 PM12/24/06
On 24 Dec 2006 13:18:48 -0800, "Mike Chambers" <mcha...@adobe.com>
wrote:

If you can't hear buzzing on the radio, in the middle of a city,
there's something wrong with it. Does the AM work? Can you get KGO?
If so, you may want to mess with the Ext Antenna jack, it could have
crud in it. A few cycles with a 3.5mm plug will clean it up.

mikechambers

Dec 24, 2006, 7:41:15 PM12/24/06
Yeah. I can get KGO pretty clearly.

Basically, all I hear on shortwave bands is a loud buzzing. I did
manage to barely pick up some gospel station from the US (but i couldnt
understand what was being said the quality was so poor).

I checked a couple of schedules, and put in frequencies where there
should be content, but nothing came through.

I also tried using a Sony AN-61 portable antenae, and that is when I
found the gospel station.

mike

barne...@aol.com

Dec 24, 2006, 7:51:10 PM12/24/06

Jack Myers

Dec 24, 2006, 10:41:48 PM12/24/06
Mike Chambers <mcha...@adobe.com> wrote:
> SONY ICF-SW7600 that I used to use to pick up major SW broadcasters
> However, I cannot pick up a single SW station at all.

There seem to be fewer strong stations around than there were ten years
ago. Still, you should be able to to better than that.

On this model, the mounting for the whip antenna doubles as an antenna
switch. Pull straight up on the whip antenna to activate the whip;
push it back in to use an external antenna.

A receiver can drift out of alignment over time. Also, this might be
one of those receivers with an FET front-end that's easily damaged
by stray static electric charges on a long external antenna.

Good luck.

Beloved Leader

Dec 24, 2006, 10:55:12 PM12/24/06

Mike wrote:
> Yeah. I can get KGO pretty clearly.
>
> Basically, all I hear on shortwave bands is a loud buzzing.

Are you trying to use this SW radio in the same room with a computer? A
TV set? Next to a power transformer? Is there broadband over the power
lines where you are?

Sometimes during the day there's not much to hear, but I'm guessing
that there might be a SW station in Vancouver that you could hear
during the day. In the wee hours, you ought to be able to hear
Australia and North Korea.

HTH.

mikechambers

Dec 24, 2006, 11:19:27 PM12/24/06
Just an update on this. I started to get some broadcasts tonight.
Picked up Voice of the Andes, and Radio Havana.

I also figured out that some of the low voltage lights in my house are
causing major interference (loud buzzing). If I turn them off, then it
goes away.

Thanks for the help. I am already getting hooked. Now I just need to
find a good started receiver, and antenna.

mike

On 2006-12-24 16:03:56 -0800, David <ric...@knac.com> said:

> On 24 Dec 2006 13:18:48 -0800, "Mike Chambers" <mcha...@adobe.com>

Beloved Leader

Dec 24, 2006, 11:30:19 PM12/24/06

Mike wrote:
> ... some of the low voltage lights in my house are

> causing major interference (loud buzzing). If I turn them off, then it
> goes away.

Are those things on light dimmers? Are they controlled by SCRs?
Switching power supplies? Lots of noise to be had there. If you go
outside, does the buzzing on the radio go away?

Beloved Leader

Dec 25, 2006, 12:05:45 AM12/25/06

Mike wrote:
> ... some of the low voltage lights in my house are

> causing major interference (loud buzzing). If I turn them off, then it
> goes away.

Are those things on light dimmers? Are they controlled by SCRs?

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 25, 2006, 12:47:17 AM12/25/06
If you have light dimmers,get rid of them.Also,use regular old fashioned
incadescent light bulbs in your home.I use General Electric Reveal light
bulbs in my home.They put out a more natural light.I have to change them
(with three blonde gals doing the changing,me directing them) out every
few weeks,but they are cheap enough.
cuhulin

mikechambers

Dec 25, 2006, 1:19:58 AM12/25/06
Yes. They are on light dimmers. I turned them off, and actually found
quite a few stations tonight.

thanks for the help...

mike

On 2006-12-24 20:30:19 -0800, "Beloved Leader"

RHF

Dec 25, 2006, 2:55:20 AM12/25/06
MC,

Take a trip to the Great Meadow in Golden Gate Park.

Bring your Radio a Blanket and a Thermos of Irish Coffee.

Pick a spot in the middle of the Meadow; put down the
Blanket and have a seat. Place the Radio between
your legs with the Whip Antenna extended and Listen.
Now have a sip or two of the Irish Coffee and Enjoy
your Radio.

memories of sf and good irish coffee - mumm
bidding one and all a shortwave good bye ~ RHF
.
.
. .

On Dec 24, 8:19 pm, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Just an update on this. I started to get some broadcasts tonight.
> Picked up Voice of the Andes, and Radio Havana.
>
> I also figured out that some of the low voltage lights in my house are
> causing major interference (loud buzzing). If I turn them off, then it
> goes away.
>
> Thanks for the help. I am already getting hooked. Now I just need to
> find a good started receiver, and antenna.
>
> mike
>

> On 2006-12-24 16:03:56 -0800, David <rick...@knac.com> said:
>

> > On 24 Dec 2006 13:18:48 -0800, "Mike Chambers" <mcham...@adobe.com>

> > If you can't hear buzzing on the radio, in the middle of a city,
> > there's something wrong with it. Does the AM work? Can you get KGO?
> > If so, you may want to mess with the Ext Antenna jack, it could have

> > crud in it. A few cycles with a 3.5mm plug will clean it up.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

David

Dec 25, 2006, 8:43:24 AM12/25/06

Not when you factor in the cost of electricity.

RHF

Dec 25, 2006, 10:45:02 AM12/25/06
Cuhulin,

WARNING - Got Radio Noise ? Some CFLs produce RFI at 2.65 MHz
(5.3>7.95>10.6>13.25>15.9>18.55>21.2) and 13.6 MHz (27.2)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp#Other_CFL_technologies

Try Natural {Full Spectrum} "Daylight" CFLs* that are "Daylight"
(5000 K - 6500 K) rated and produce a slightly Bluish-White light.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp#Colors
LIGHT COLOR => http://www.lightsofamerica.com/light-color.htm
http://www.solux.net/?gclid=CKr0xq_3rYkCFQRDYwodtTThpg

* Note "CFL" means Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL)
CFL => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

Usually about Three-Times (3X) the cost of an old fashion
Incandescent Electric Light Bulb even those nice GE
"Reveal" Bulbs with the Blue Tint.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb

On-the-Plus-Side - CFL's use about 1/4 the Electricity
(Power / Energy) as the older Incandescent Light Bulbs.
ENERGY => http://www.lightsofamerica.com/light-cfl.htm

On-the-Plus-Side - CFL's last, and Last and LAST usually
about 6-Times and up to 10-Times the life of the older
Incandescent Light Bulbs.
SERVICE => http://www.lightsofamerica.com/light-cfl.htm

The-Bottom-Line - Overall CFLs have a 'lower' Lifetime Total Cost
then the older Incandescent Light Bulbs. {They Save You Money}

Good-for-the-Planet - CFL's are simply better for the Environment
then the older Incandescent Light Bulbs.
Note - Most CFLs are "Energy Star" Rated
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENERGY_STAR

TIP - I personally like Lights-of-America CFLs that use the
"FluoreX Technology" in their 'SunLight Bulb' which produces
a Natural Spectrum Light to counter the effects of "SAD"
Seasonal Affective Disorder.
SAD => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder
DAYLIGHTS => http://www.activeandable.com/products/241

Note - If you can find them the Lights-of-America CFL
LoA => http://www.lightsofamerica.com/
Model # 2830 S "Mushroom" shaped CFL Daylight Bulb
is rated as a 135 Watt Light Output [ this is a good
'replacement for a 100-150 Watt Incandescent Bulb ]
with only 30 Watts of Energy use. These used to be
about $8.66 at Walmart - but getting hard to find there.
http://www.budgetlighting.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=2934339.6451*Q10V14&p_id=1017&xm=on&ppinc=search2

WARNING - Got Radio Noise ? Some CFLs produce RFI at 2.65 MHz
(5.3>7.95>10.6>13.25>15.9>18.55>21.2) and 13.6 MHz (27.2)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp#Other_CFL_technologies

incandescently yours for i was born in an age when . . .
real radios glowed in the dark ~ RHF
.
.
. .

m II

Dec 25, 2006, 11:03:46 AM12/25/06
RHF wrote:
> MC,
>
> Take a trip to the Great Meadow in Golden Gate Park.
>
> Bring your Radio a Blanket and a Thermos of Irish Coffee.
>
> Pick a spot in the middle of the Meadow; put down the
> Blanket and have a seat. Place the Radio between
> your legs with the Whip Antenna extended and Listen.
> Now have a sip or two of the Irish Coffee and Enjoy
> your Radio.
>
> memories of sf and good irish coffee - mumm
> bidding one and all a shortwave good bye ~ RHF

Didn't Saint Patrick drive all the coffee beans out of Ireland?

McMike II

dxAce

Dec 25, 2006, 11:07:09 AM12/25/06

m II wrote:

Next up, driving all the dumbass Canucks out of CanaDuh.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

m II

Dec 25, 2006, 11:14:03 AM12/25/06

Merry Christmas and kindest wishes to you, Steve. Have a wonderful time
and a prosperous, healthy new year.

mike

dxAce

Dec 25, 2006, 11:16:35 AM12/25/06

m II wrote:

Thanks. Same back at ya!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

RHF

Dec 25, 2006, 1:36:40 PM12/25/06
FO&A,

Here is another CFL Daylight Bulb with a built-in Anion
'thingy' to help Purify the Air inside your Homes.
- - - These can help-out in Bathrooms

Day Light CFL Bulb with "Ionic" Air Purifier 23 Watt
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ4463219015
The EONY-Light is a Negative Ion Generating Lamp for Air Purification.

Note - The Negative Ions (Anions) in the Air 'vitalize' our body
as though we were in a forest, by a waterfall, or at a hot spring.
A Negative Ion is often called "The Air Vitamin", because when
we inhale the Negative Ions, they accelerate our metabolism,
promote vitality, stabilize the nervous system, help us recover
from fatigue and raise our appetite. The volume of Negative Ions
per cubic centimeter (cc) in tranquil, refreshing natural areas
(such as forests, hot springs, waterfalls, and oceans) amount
to about 800- 2000 Ions/cc.

What You Should Know About The Air You Breathe :

1. The average person breathes approximately 3,400 gallons of air each
day - unfortunately much of that air is filled with contaminants,
pollutants, and impurities you just can't see.

2. According to the Enviromental Protection Agency, the air inside
your home can be two-to-five times more polluted than the air outside.

3. Home interior air can contain a variety of contaminants and
pollutants including mold spores, pollen, bacteria, dust mites,
asbestos, radon decay products, and other particles and impurities.

i have seen the day-light and ion better for it ~ RHF
.
.
. .

= = = On Dec 25, 7:45 am, "RHF" <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> [...]

> WARNING - Got Radio Noise ? Some CFLs produce RFI at 2.65 MHz

> (5.3>7.95>10.6>13.25>15.9>18.55>21.2) and 13.6 MHz (27.2)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp#Other_CFL_techn...

> incandescently yours for i was born in an age when . . .
> real radios glowed in the dark ~RHF
> .
> .
> . .
>
> = = = On Dec 24, 9:47 pm, cuhu...@webtv.net wrote:
>

> > If you have light dimmers,get rid of them.Also,use regular old fashioned
> > incadescent light bulbs in your home.I use General Electric Reveal light
> > bulbs in my home.They put out a more natural light.I have to change them
> > (with three blonde gals doing the changing,me directing them) out every
> > few weeks,but they are cheap enough.

> > cuhulin- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

mikechambers

Dec 25, 2006, 2:28:06 PM12/25/06
Hehe... Yeah, I went up on the top of the hill between Noe Valley and
Glen Park last night, just to test things out. Really good reception.

I am already hooked.

mike

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 25, 2006, 5:57:05 PM12/25/06
You too can build your very own Wave Bubble Self Tuning RF Jammer.Here's
Lady Ada's website to show and tell y'all all about it.But you can't
build them and sell them though,the fuzz will come after you.
www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble
cuhulin

RHF

Dec 26, 2006, 6:50:52 AM12/26/06
FO&A - More about Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL) and
the Power Smart Compact Fluorescent Lighting Program

A Bright Way to Save Time, Energy and Money!
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_ps/compact_a_bright_way_to_save.shtml

Energy Star - Look for the ENERGY STAR Symbol
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_ps/compact_energy_star.shtml
http://www.energystar.gov/

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) -about-
Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL)
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_ps/compact_faq.shtml

Are Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFL)
CFLs a Bright Way to Save Money ?
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_ps/compact_a_bright_way_to_save.shtml

PLUS - That Something Extra - Light Emitting Diode (LED) Lights
"Celebrate the Holiday Season with Seasonal LED Lights
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_ps/led_seasonal_lights.shtml
Did You Know (DYK) - The amount of Electricity consumed
by a single old style 7-Watt Incandescent Light Bulb {NightLite}
could power 140 LED Bulbs - enough to fill two 24 - foot strings.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) -about- Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/saving_with_ps/led_seasonal_lights_faq.shtml

it is better to shine one cfl/led light than to... ~ RHF
.
.
. .

> [...]

> WARNING - Got Radio Noise ? Some CFLs produce RFI at 2.65 MHz

> (5.3>7.95>10.6>13.25>15.9>18.55>21.2) and 13.6 MHz (27.2)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp#Other_CFL_techn...

> incandescently yours for i was born in an age when . . .
> real radios glowed in the dark ~RHF
> .
> .
> . .
>
> = = = On Dec 24, 9:47 pm, cuhu...@webtv.net wrote:
>

> > If you have light dimmers,get rid of them.Also,use regular old fashioned
> > incadescent light bulbs in your home.I use General Electric Reveal light
> > bulbs in my home.They put out a more natural light.I have to change them
> > (with three blonde gals doing the changing,me directing them) out every
> > few weeks,but they are cheap enough.

> > cuhulin- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

John Smith

Dec 26, 2006, 12:02:03 PM12/26/06
Mike Chambers wrote:

> However, I cannot pick up a single SW station at all. I am in San
> Francisco, California, and have scanned almost all frequencies both at

Mike:

Rumor has it, all heterosexual stations have been banned in SF.

I think your gay mayor only allows reception of homosexual stations with
a gay agenda--well, that is the word on the streets! <straight face>
(pun intended!)

Regards,
JS

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 26, 2006, 12:48:47 PM12/26/06
www.devilfinder.com Radio Stations San Francisco California

Lots of radio stations in the San Francisco area.Probally more Radio
Stations than in some Countries.Which City in America has the most Radio
Stations?
cuhulin

weatherall

Dec 29, 2006, 12:52:39 AM12/29/06

Mike Chambers Wrote:
> Hehe... Yeah, I went up on the top of the hill between Noe Valley and
> Glen Park last night, just to test things out. Really good reception.
>
> I am already hooked.
>
> mike

Hello Mike:
I live in SF and I also have an SW7600GR (among other radios). It's
possible to pick up English Deutsche Welle transmissions from Kigali
here. They're not targeting North America but it comes in quite
clearly here sometimes. My website often lists the shortwave stations
I've been listening to, and the best antenna I have is a Degen DE31
active loop. So you will probably be able to get the same results.
Good luck!

--
weatherall