Diego Garcia

dxAce

Dec 20, 2004, 1:07:52 PM12/20/04
Diego heard here at a good level on 13254 USB at 1805.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Drifter

Dec 25, 2004, 9:17:26 AM12/25/04
vary active this morning. heard on 13254usb. from
13:00u to 14:00u. lots of chatter, some readable.
Drifter...

dxAce

Dec 25, 2004, 9:29:25 AM12/25/04

Drifter wrote:

Audible here also.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce

Dec 26, 2004, 10:17:43 AM12/26/04
Diego Garcia up and active on 13254 at 1515, with a female operator. Excellent
signal here this morning.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a little more activity out of Diego in the next
few days and weeks as there may be some relief flights headed to the earthquake
affected area(s).

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Jim Douglas

Dec 27, 2004, 7:35:20 PM12/27/04
I heard also this morning early, but not very clear here in TX. I am going
to get a better antenna next year!

"Drifter" <Dri...@pgh.com> wrote in message

dxAce

Dec 27, 2004, 8:35:16 AM12/27/04
The tsunami must have spared Diego Garcia as they are heard here up and running
on 13254 at 1330. Male operator this morning. Signal not quite as good as it was
at a later time yesterday, but hopefully it will improve.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

HankG

Dec 27, 2004, 10:10:33 AM12/27/04

"dxAce" <dx...@eclipsed.net> wrote in message

Ace:

Just curious. Do you have one of your Drakes constantly monitoring Diego
Garcia? I monitor the GHFS frequencies and have only stumbled on DG active
once.

HankG

dxAce

Dec 27, 2004, 10:48:49 AM12/27/04

HankG wrote:

No, it's just that they are usually active in the mornings and I'll park the R8
there for a couple of hours. They are audible here on an almost daily basis.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

> HankG

dxAce

Dec 27, 2004, 11:13:11 AM12/27/04

dxAce wrote:

13254 is of course not a 'regular' GHFS frequency but it is one of the Diego Garcia
'discrete' frequencies.

Shortly after my initial log this morning they once again switched to a female
operator, just heard here most recently at 1510.

> dxAce
> Michigan
> USA
>

> > HankG

dxAce

Dec 27, 2004, 11:16:32 AM12/27/04

dxAce wrote:

Correction: 1610 rather than 1510

> > dxAce
> > Michigan
> > USA
> >

> > > HankG

HankG

Dec 27, 2004, 11:54:26 AM12/27/04

> dxAce wrote:
>
> > HankG wrote:
> >
> > > "dxAce" <dx...@eclipsed.net> wrote in message
> > > running
> > > it was
> > >
> > > Ace:
> > >
> > > Just curious. Do you have one of your Drakes constantly monitoring
Diego
> > > Garcia? I monitor the GHFS frequencies and have only stumbled on DG
active
> > > once.
> >
> > No, it's just that they are usually active in the mornings and I'll park
the R8
> > there for a couple of hours. They are audible here on an almost daily
basis.

> 13254 is of course not a 'regular' GHFS frequency but it is one of the
Diego Garcia
> 'discrete' frequencies.

Right you are. I should have said 'military frequencies'.

> Shortly after my initial log this morning they once again switched to a
female
> operator, just heard here most recently at 1510.

Saw your correction on time. Specifically, what is the time range that you
'park' on 13254.

HankG

dxAce

Dec 27, 2004, 11:56:12 AM12/27/04
The female operator in answer to a query from an aircraft after giving weather
information reported no ill effects from the earthquake.

So everything appears well on Diego Garcia.

1653 on 13254 USB

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce

Dec 27, 2004, 11:57:36 AM12/27/04

HankG wrote:

Oh, usually from 1300 on, it just depends on what I have going on here at the
time.

> HankG

Mark Zenier

Dec 26, 2004, 1:52:46 PM12/26/04

Isn't DG bound to BE an earthquake affected area. The Maldives got
plastered and they were saying the tsunami was 15-30 feet at Thailand.

Now we know why palm trees evolved to not have any low branches.

Mark Zenier mze...@eskimo.com Washington State resident

dxAce

Dec 27, 2004, 1:25:35 PM12/27/04

Mark Zenier wrote:

> In article <41CED617...@eclipsed.net>, dxAce <dx...@eclipsed.net> wrote:
> >Diego Garcia up and active on 13254 at 1515, with a female operator. Excellent
> >signal here this morning.
> >
> >I wouldn't be surprised to see a little more activity out of Diego in the next
> >few days and weeks as there may be some relief flights headed to the earthquake
> >affected area(s).
>
> Isn't DG bound to BE an earthquake affected area.

Yes, they are indeed in an earthquake area, but apparently received no damage this
time around.

In 1983 Diego suffered a 7.6 earthquake.

http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/quake.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Buzzygirl

Dec 27, 2004, 6:22:22 PM12/27/04

"Mark Zenier" <mze...@eskimo.com> wrote in message

> In article <41CED617...@eclipsed.net>, dxAce <dx...@eclipsed.net>
wrote:
> >Diego Garcia up and active on 13254 at 1515, with a female operator.
Excellent
> >signal here this morning.
> >
> >I wouldn't be surprised to see a little more activity out of Diego in the
next
> >few days and weeks as there may be some relief flights headed to the
earthquake
> >affected area(s).
>
> Isn't DG bound to BE an earthquake affected area. The Maldives got
> plastered and they were saying the tsunami was 15-30 feet at Thailand.

I just heard this evening on NPR that DG was not affected much by the waves
or the quake.

Jackie

running dogg

Dec 27, 2004, 9:52:27 PM12/27/04
dxAce wrote:

You're likely in just the right spot for DG to fade in around sunrise
your local time for a while. I find that sunrise in either one's home
area or target area is a good time to hear stuff that you wouldn't
otherwise. I can get a lot of stuff from the Middle East, like Saudi
Arabia's domestic service, around sunrise Middle East time (0300-0400
GMT). And around sunrise my time (1500 GMT or so) I get a lot of stuff
from East Asia like the Chinese domestics and Radio Free Asia,
occasionally I'll get AIR or Iran too around that time.

running dogg

Dec 27, 2004, 9:54:32 PM12/27/04
dxAce wrote:

> The female operator in answer to a query from an aircraft after giving weather
> information reported no ill effects from the earthquake.
>
> So everything appears well on Diego Garcia.

They got lucky. DG is an atoll (for those who don't know what that is,
look it up), a 30 foot high wave could easily wipe it off the face of
the earth.

matt...@pacbell.net

Dec 27, 2004, 10:50:43 PM12/27/04
I talked by phone, about an hour ago, with a gentleman on DG and he
said they experienced waves 3 to 4 feet high but suffered no damage.
If the island's elevation is only 4 to 22 feet high, that makes sense.
But why was there so much damage to the coast of Somalia, another 2000
miles further west, and no damage to DG?? Would they tell us if there
really was damage on DG??

dxAce

Dec 28, 2004, 7:47:11 AM12/28/04

matt...@pacbell.net wrote:

Nah, it's all a big secret to get you conspiracy kooks going!

But actually it probably has a lot to do with the mechanics of the wave itself
and the sea floor/bed around Diego Garcia itself. The wave may have 'flowed'
around Diego Garcia, but when it reached Somalia it had nowhere else to go but
up the beach.

It's pretty simple physics.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce

Dec 28, 2004, 8:30:34 AM12/28/04

running dogg wrote:

> dxAce wrote:
>

> > HankG wrote:
> >
> > > "dxAce" <dx...@eclipsed.net> wrote in message
> > > running
> > > it was
> > >
> > > Ace:
> > >
> > > Just curious. Do you have one of your Drakes constantly monitoring Diego
> > > Garcia? I monitor the GHFS frequencies and have only stumbled on DG active
> > > once.
> >
> > No, it's just that they are usually active in the mornings and I'll park the R8
> > there for a couple of hours. They are audible here on an almost daily basis.
>
> You're likely in just the right spot for DG to fade in around sunrise
> your local time for a while.

I not only hear them around sunrise, but for hours after that. And at times
throughout the day.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce

Dec 28, 2004, 10:53:15 AM12/28/04
Diego Garcia noted here this morning at 1550 on 13254 with a male operator.
Signals weak this morning.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Dionne

Dec 28, 2004, 4:49:11 PM12/28/04

It all has to do with something called "run-up".........basically, it's
how far the water travels inland which is determined by the sea floor.
USGS has an online walk through on the mechanics of the tsunami. I am
a survivor of the great Alaskan earthquake and subsequent tsunamis in
1964. Did you know that since the initial temblor (off the coast of
Sumatra) there have been a total of 46 exceeding 5.0......and that
there now are indications that a wave was generated as well that
entered the pacific. Interesting stuff here.

dxAce

Dec 28, 2004, 4:57:22 PM12/28/04

Dionne wrote:

Yes, there have been a lot of aftershocks. I subscribe to the the service here:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/products/neic_data_services.html

Which notifies me of earthquakes exceeding 5.5 anywhere in the world or 4.5 in
the USA.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Dionne

Dec 28, 2004, 5:27:21 PM12/28/04
Thanx for the link. Didn't know that was hiding in there!

George

Dec 28, 2004, 7:26:40 PM12/28/04
Hi!

I just found this info on the status of Diego Garcia. I was stationed
there for a year (1979-1980) as a member of the US Navy. I was happily
suprised to learn that the island was spared...having spent many hours
roaming the shores of "DG", I know how easily it could be overrun by a
tsunami...don't recall a place as HIGH as 22 feet...The highest spot I
was on was the at the base SWIMMING POOL! It was elevated so that when
you stood at poolside, you were at about room height of surrounding
buildings. I was a lifeguard in my "spare" time. We were standing
port/starboard (12 on 12 off) work schedules at the Naval Security
Group Activity there. I still managed to hold down a part time job!
I was there when we did the failed Iranian Embassy Rescue Mission.
Some of the C-130 crews met at the pool to talk about the
"mission"...no one...even THEM knew exactly where they were going or
why! It was very hush hush. I am also a ham radio operator (WA1JMM)
and although I didn't get to operate while there, I did get a British
Indian Ocean Territory call sign from the British Government...think it
was "VP9GD" or GRD...they used your initials for the call letters! Got
to make one phone patch at the Navy MARS station and then discovered
the Autovon phone system...got to talk to my wife via an very
understanding phone op in Maine! Ah the fond memories of "The Rock"!
George, Senior Chief Petty Officer, USN (Retired).

dxAce

Dec 28, 2004, 7:45:35 PM12/28/04

tianli

Dec 28, 2004, 8:09:12 PM12/28/04
> But actually it probably has a lot to do with the mechanics of the wave
itself
> and the sea floor/bed around Diego Garcia itself. The wave may have
'flowed'
> around Diego Garcia, but when it reached Somalia it had nowhere else to go
but
> up the beach.

I watched a simulation that showed the main "wave" energy was directed
squarely
towards Sri Lanka. Probably because it was paralell to the fault line near
Indonesia.
While watching the simulation I noted that DG was not in line and quite a
bit outside
(flanked) of this main wave energy.

> It's pretty simple physics.

Fluid dynamics is excruciatingly complicated.

dxAce

Dec 28, 2004, 8:24:34 PM12/28/04

tianli wrote:

It's just to deep for me.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

eric.c...@lapresse.ca

Dec 29, 2004, 12:26:18 PM12/29/04

Hi,

I saw your intervention on the net abour the the Diego Garcia base, not
affected by the tsunami. Do you know if the base has played a role in
the warning. Did the navy there, called countries of the region, as
little islands, etc? Bye! Eric

Mark Zenier

Dec 28, 2004, 3:23:48 PM12/28/04

Yes, I dug out the Nat. Geo. World Atlas and the physical map of the
Indian Ocean shows why some areas like India and Somalia got plastered.
The continental shelf and the shoreline are parallel to the wave front,
so the energy got concentrated vertically. Diego Garcia and the Chagos
have the Chagos Trench that runs east and south of DG, so the energy
could diffract around.

The surprise for me is that Broome and Northwest Australia didn't get
it hard. One description (can't remember if it was in the newspaper or
on one of the American TV news broadcasts) said that in these subduction
quakes, some of the seabed falls and some areas rise. So there's a
dipole effect where, for some directions, the waves cancel out.

They said Sumatra moved 100 ft. I'd hate to be a land surveyor there
using GPS. Until they recalibrate their local benchmarks, it'll be
hopeless.

Message has been deleted

peaceblove

Dec 30, 2004, 5:56:14 PM12/30/04
CORRECTION TO PREVIOUS POST
This is on Deigo Garcia's official US Navy website:
http://www.dg.navy.mil/ then select Tsunami News Update at left-middle
of screen/page.

Initial indications are that Diego Garcia was not affected by the
Andaman Tsunami of 26 December 2004. It is located south of the tip of
India, well with in range of what the tsunami, with a max elevation of
22 and an average elevation of only 4 feet. Civilians monitoring
shortwave radio reported on rec.radio.shortwave that a female operator,
in answer to a query from an aircraft after giving weather information,

reported no ill effects from the earthquake.

Officials said the Diego Garcia Navy Support Facility, which houses
about 1,700 military personnel and 1,500 civilian contractors, suffered
no damage related to the earthquake and ensuing tsunamis. Personnel at
the facility reported no unusual activity or problems over the weekend.
Diego Garcia, the southernmost island in the Chagos Archipelago, sits
about 1,000 miles south of India and roughly 2,000 miles from the
earthquake's epicenter. Even though an earthquake like Sunday's
will radiate destructive waves in all directions, the damage caused by
the water differs greatly depending on the undersea topography.

Favorable ocean topography minimized the tsunami's impact on the
atoll. Diego Garcia is part of the Chagos Archipelago, situated on the
southernmost part of the Chagos-Laccadive Ridge. To the east lies the
Chagos Trench, a 400 mile long, underwater canyon that ranges in depth
from less than 1,00 meters below the surface to depths that plunge to
over 5,000 meters. It is one of the deepest regions of the Indian
Ocean. Diego Garcia is located to the west of Chagos Trench, which runs
north and south. The depth of the Chagos Trench and grade to the shores
does not allow for tsunamis to build before passing the atoll. The
result of the earthquake was seen as a tidal surge estimated at six
feet.

peaceblove

dxAce

Dec 31, 2004, 12:15:12 PM12/31/04
Diego heard here at 1707 working an aircraft (aircraft also heard) on 13254.

New Year hits Diego at 1900 UTC.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Dan Say

Dec 31, 2004, 9:24:28 PM12/31/04
dxAce wrote:

and the tsunami that hit Diego Garcia...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/archives/world_news/2004/12/30/what_happened_to_diego_garcia.html
--
-\_,-~-\___...__._._._._._._._._._._._.
For real Dxing,

dxAce

Jan 2, 2005, 9:01:41 AM1/2/05
Diego Garcia noted this morning with a weak signal on 13254 starting at 1300
when I switched to the frequency. A lot of traffic in the past hour or so.

Conditions are not to good this morning as it appears we are currently in
'storm' conditions per:

http://www.n3kl.org/

dxAce
Michigan
The United States of America

dxAce

Jan 3, 2005, 9:38:51 AM1/3/05
Diego Garcia being heard here this morning on 13254 despite storm conditions
reported by http://www.n3kl.org/. In contact with aircraft. Plenty of traffic
the past hour.

dxAce
Michigan