What new radio is comparable to a Drake R8 ?

no name no spam

Oct 4, 2010, 12:24:29 AM10/4/10

I have a Drake R8, still works, had it a long time.

I've searched around some and have not seen any shortwaves
out there that have all the features this old tank has.

Does anybody know what is comparable to the R8 ?

If you have not used one of these here are a few features...
filters .5, 1.8, 2.3, 4, 6 khz
cw,rtty,lsb,usb,am,fm
AM syncro
audio tone & notch
squelch, passband
tuning 10, 100, 1000 hz digital
AGC fast,slow
on off timer
dual antenna
auto scan
100 memory

thx

Harry

John Plimmer

Oct 4, 2010, 3:05:06 AM10/4/10
On Oct 4, 4:24 am, no name no spam <donth...@email-address.none>
wrote:

Hava a look at an Icom IC-7200. It's a third generation DSP receiver
and works just champion, at a great price too.
It's several miles ahead of the old R8.

John Plimmer, Montagu, Cape Province, South Africa
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7600, Perseus SDR
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A, Redsun RP2100
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Grundig G8, Eton E100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Oct 4, 2010, 3:24:03 AM10/4/10
John Plimmer wrote:

> Hava a look at an Icom IC-7200. It's a third generation DSP receiver
> and works just champion, at a great price too.
> It's several miles ahead of the old R8.

If you are talking about ham transceivers then the market is wide open.

The new Ten-Tec Eagle is a real contender, although it is close to the price
of an R8 or Kenwood R-5000 when they were new. That's a lot of money these
days.

Don't be fooled by the spec that there is "degraded performance" outside
the ham bands. Even with the degraded performance, as it were, it's still
quite a good receiver. Note the manual is unclear, you don't need to have
the add-on AM or FM filters for recepetion, only if you want to transmit
using those modes.

The ICOM IC-706 is a good one too, especially if you get the latest version
with all the DSP features. It's not much more than half the price of the
Ten-Tec and

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order

dave

Oct 4, 2010, 9:19:03 AM10/4/10
no name no spam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Drake R8, still works, had it a long time.
>
> I've searched around some and have not seen any shortwaves
> out there that have all the features this old tank has.
>
> Does anybody know what is comparable to the R8 ?
>
> If you have not used one of these here are a few features...
> filters .5, 1.8, 2.3, 4, 6 khz
> cw,rtty,lsb,usb,am,fm
> AM syncro
> audio tone& notch

> squelch, passband
> tuning 10, 100, 1000 hz digital
> AGC fast,slow
> on off timer
> dual antenna
> auto scan
> 100 memory
>
> thx
>
> Harry

This has all the features you list and way more. About $2,000 will get
you a radio better than a TenTec RX340; better than a WJ-1000, and 20
years better than an R8. You can save a couple bills by putting it
together yourself.

http://www.elecraft.com/

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

http://www.elecraft.com/

dave

Oct 4, 2010, 9:44:23 AM10/4/10
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> John Plimmer wrote:
>
>> Hava a look at an Icom IC-7200. It's a third generation DSP receiver
>> and works just champion, at a great price too.
>> It's several miles ahead of the old R8.
>
> If you are talking about ham transceivers then the market is wide open.
>
> The new Ten-Tec Eagle is a real contender, although it is close to the price
> of an R8 or Kenwood R-5000 when they were new. That's a lot of money these
> days.
>
> Don't be fooled by the spec that there is "degraded performance" outside
> the ham bands. Even with the degraded performance, as it were, it's still
> quite a good receiver. Note the manual is unclear, you don't need to have
> the add-on AM or FM filters for recepetion, only if you want to transmit
> using those modes.

A ham-bands centric receiver with an 8 or 9 MHz I.F. can receive HFBC
frequencies, but with varying degrees of degraded performance due to the
bandpass filtering in the front end. Elecraft offers an optional set of
General Coverage bandpass filters which are automatically switched into
the signal path when scanning outside the ham bands.

The TenTec doesn't offer that option at first glance.

I don't work at Elecraft, just supporting a home-grown business a few
miles up the El Camino Real (aka US Rt 101) who happens to build the
best receiver anywhere at any price. It is a tiny company run by a
handful of people serving a fiercely obsessed niche market. Good example
for the kids.

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=151448

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6673

hallic...@collins.net

Oct 4, 2010, 4:50:47 PM10/4/10

RHF

Oct 4, 2010, 5:06:02 PM10/4/10
On Oct 4, 1:50 pm, hallicraf...@collins.net wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 23:24:29 -0500, no name no spam
>

> <donth...@email-address.none> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
>
> >I have a Drake R8, still works, had it a long time.
>
> >I've searched around some and have not seen any shortwaves
> >out there that have all the features this old tank has.
>
> >Does anybody know what is comparable to the R8 ?
>
> >If you have not used one of these here are a few features...
> >filters .5, 1.8, 2.3, 4, 6 khz
> >cw,rtty,lsb,usb,am,fm
> >AM syncro
> >audio tone & notch
> >squelch, passband
> >tuning 10, 100, 1000 hz digital
> >AGC fast,slow
> >on off timer
> >dual antenna
> >auto scan
> >100 memory
>
> >thx
>
> >Harry
>
> There is a "new" R-8 coming soon!
>
> http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.alinco...
>
> Jim

¥59,800 Japanese Yen is about $720USD :o)
.

Steve

Oct 4, 2010, 5:20:59 PM10/4/10
On Oct 4, 12:24 am, no name no spam <donth...@email-address.none>
wrote:

If I were you, I'd keep the R8 and put some thought into upgrading
your antenna. We can pick nits about which receiver is best, about
which one will let you ID 1000 instead of 999 DX stations; but the
antenna is where the action is.

Message has been deleted

dxAce

Oct 4, 2010, 5:42:13 PM10/4/10

no name no spam wrote:

If anything, I'd consider getting a tune-up on the R8.

The R8 is my main 'workhorse' radio here though I also have the R7, R8A and
R8B at my disposal.

As already mentioned, check your antenna situation as well.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

hallic...@collins.net

Oct 4, 2010, 9:47:46 PM10/4/10

I don't think that model has synch detection. Still a good deal.

Jim

hallic...@collins.net

Oct 4, 2010, 10:44:47 PM10/4/10

Also a good deal - the Icom IC-7000 - no synch detection but has
continuously variable SSB and AM bandwidth - the AM bw is adjustable
from 200hz - 10 kHz - and it sounds great in AM at the wide bandwidth.

Jim

dave

Oct 5, 2010, 12:06:47 PM10/5/10
hallic...@collins.net wrote:

> Also a good deal - the Icom IC-7000 - no synch detection but has
> continuously variable SSB and AM bandwidth - the AM bw is adjustable
> from 200hz - 10 kHz - and it sounds great in AM at the wide bandwidth.
>
> Jim

That's a DSP filter, way after when a narrow filter helps reception.
Does nothing for desense or intermod.

bpnjensen

Oct 5, 2010, 2:00:44 PM10/5/10
On Oct 5, 9:06 am, dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:

But doesn't the Icom also have RF filters up front?

hallic...@collins.net

Oct 5, 2010, 3:32:55 PM10/5/10

True. But I only said it sounded great at the wide bandwidth like a
Drake R-8. I would not recommend it for CW reception. It does have a
sensitive receiver and rates about the same in filter rejection as the
Yaesu FT-2000 in Sherwood's list. At under $1300 it is not a bad deal
considering you get the transmitter included.

Jim

DEFCON 88

Oct 5, 2010, 6:00:56 PM10/5/10
Isn't AOR planning a new rx to replace the 7030, or has that been
scrapped?

dxAce

Oct 5, 2010, 6:01:41 PM10/5/10

DEFCON 88 wrote:

> Isn't AOR planning a new rx to replace the 7030, or has that been
> scrapped?

Apparently scrapped.

hallic...@collins.net

Oct 5, 2010, 6:08:25 PM10/5/10

There are three crystal filters before the DSP, but there are high and
low pass filters, relays, interconnects to the transmitter. They all
affect performance:

http://www.radioamateur.eu/schemi/IC7000_serv.pdf

cuh...@webtv.net

Oct 5, 2010, 6:08:29 PM10/5/10
A NOS (New Old Stock) Drake Radio?

Oh, I just kill myself sometimes.
cuhulin

hallic...@collins.net

Oct 5, 2010, 6:24:07 PM10/5/10
On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 18:01:41 -0400, dxAce <dx...@milestones.com>
wrote:

They would rather make a wideband receiver that they can charge $5000
-$10000 for, although I am not sure who is going to buy them.

Jim

dave

Oct 5, 2010, 7:45:46 PM10/5/10

They use a much higher IF, and their roofing filters are real wide.

dave

Oct 5, 2010, 7:47:02 PM10/5/10

Buy American! The 3 best manufacturers are all in the USA.

hallic...@collins.net

Oct 5, 2010, 7:26:48 PM10/5/10

Yes. The three best amateur radio transceiver manufacturers are in the
US. MW AND HF Receiver - you have to go to Italy or Australia.

Jim

Joe from Kokomo

Oct 5, 2010, 9:14:01 PM10/5/10

On 10/5/2010 6:24 PM, hallic...@collins.net wrote:

> They would rather make a wideband receiver that they can charge $5000
> -$10000 for, although I am not sure who is going to buy them.
>
> Jim

Who will buy? That's an easy one; the FBI, the CIA, the NSA...

arthr...@webtv.net

Oct 6, 2010, 2:33:36 AM10/6/10
On Oct 5, 9:14 pm, Joe from Kokomo <j...@indy.net> wrote:

> >> Apparently scrapped.
>
> On 10/5/2010 6:24 PM, hallicraf...@collins.net wrote:
>
> > They would rather make a wideband receiver that they can charge $5000
> > -$10000 for, although I am not sure who is going to buy them.
>
> > Jim
>
> Who will buy? That's an easy one; the FBI, the CIA, the NSA...

It is WE, the People, who buy it for them .

Bob

Oct 6, 2010, 6:58:34 AM10/6/10

With the probable prices for any new big, black-box receivers, it's hard
not to think that the future is in SDR receivers.

The WinRadio new Excalibur HF receiver for about $850 is supposed to be
"quite" good.

Bob
-------------------------------

On 10/4/2010 12:24 AM, no name no spam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Drake R8, still works, had it a long time.
>
> I've searched around some and have not seen any shortwaves
> out there that have all the features this old tank has.
>
> Does anybody know what is comparable to the R8 ?
>
> If you have not used one of these here are a few features...
> filters .5, 1.8, 2.3, 4, 6 khz
> cw,rtty,lsb,usb,am,fm
> AM syncro

> audio tone& notch

RHF

Oct 6, 2010, 7:13:40 AM10/6/10
On Oct 6, 3:58 am, Bob <rgs...@notme.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the probable prices for any new big, black-box receivers, it's hard
> not to think that the future is in SDR receivers.

- The WinRadio new Excalibur HF receiver for
-about $850 is supposed to be "quite" good.
http://www.winradio.com/pdf/g31ddc-review-radiouser.pdf

WinRadio WR-G31DDC 'EXCALIBUR' Receiver
http://www.winradio.com/home/g31ddc.htm

=about= WinRadio
http://www.winradio.com/

WiNRADiO Receivers and DRM
http://www.winradio.com/home/drm.htm

=about= WinRadio "Excalibur" Receiver
http://www.winradio.com/pdf/g31ddc-review-radiouser.pdf

RHF

Oct 6, 2010, 7:18:06 AM10/6/10
On Oct 5, 6:14 pm, Joe from Kokomo <j...@indy.net> wrote:

> >> Apparently scrapped.
>
> On 10/5/2010 6:24 PM, hallicraf...@collins.net wrote:
>
> > They would rather make a wideband receiver that they can charge $5000
> > -$10000 for, although I am not sure who is going to buy them.
>
> > Jim

- Who will buy? That's an easy one;
- the FBI, the CIA, the NSA...

+ Every Foreign Embassy around the World +
.

RHF

Oct 6, 2010, 7:21:56 AM10/6/10
On Oct 4, 2:29 pm, Bob Dobbs <chupaca...@operamail.com> wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
> >If I were you, I'd keep the R8 and put some thought into upgrading
> >your antenna. We can pick nits about which receiver is best, about
> >which one will let you ID 1000 instead of 999 DX stations; but the
> >antenna is where the action is.
>
> That's right.
> With a lot of signals,
> the better receivers will be able to separate them,

- with no signals,
- might as well go watch TV.

Hey Cuhulin What'caw watching on the RadioTV ?
.

> --
>
> Operator Bob
> Echo Charlie 42

dave

Oct 6, 2010, 9:39:34 AM10/6/10

Really shouldn't count Flex and Perseus because they require other stuff
to work. That leaves us with Elecraft and TenTec and ICOM.

hallic...@collins.net

Oct 6, 2010, 5:57:10 PM10/6/10

And another one coming out around the end of the year:

http://www.winradio.com/home/g33ddc.htm

Jim

hallic...@collins.net

Oct 6, 2010, 6:23:32 PM10/6/10

No. They are going to buy 5 of the $2K black box versions that
performs just as well, and you can control with one computer and one
monitor.

Jim

dave

Oct 6, 2010, 7:45:01 PM10/6/10

With a built-in dialup modem.

cuh...@webtv.net

Oct 6, 2010, 7:37:46 PM10/6/10
$5,000.00 to $10,000 is Much more money than I would spend for a
radio/receiver.
For me, that is too much money for the amount of bread, only my opinion.
Maybe someday I will get lucky and find something like that at the
Goodwill store for only a few dollars.Wish me Luck.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com
cuhulin

Dana

Nov 4, 2010, 10:17:48 PM11/4/10
How much is a Drake r 8 going for now?

RHF

Nov 4, 2010, 10:58:55 PM11/4/10
On Nov 4, 7:17 pm, Dana <d...@panix.com> wrote:

- How much is a Drake r 8 going for now?

eBay RL Drake R8B Receivers "SOLD"

1 - 20 Bids ending at US $1066

2 - 21 Bids ending at US $1275

Universal-Radio.Com RL Drake R8B Receivers "SOLD"
http://www.universal-radio.com/used/sold122.html
Total of Five (5) Selling at : US$890 {2010}
& US$1330 & US$1330 & US$1300 & US$1100

RL Drake R8B Communications Receiver -info-
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/0082.html

and now you know - cause...
you just read it here ~ RHF
.
.

D. Peter Maus

Nov 5, 2010, 12:38:33 PM11/5/10
On 11/4/10 21:17 , Dana wrote:
> How much is a Drake r 8 going for now?

That's a good question. Prices vary according to condition, of
course, but DXing.com suggests a going price between $600 and $650.

Ebay reports completed sales between $475, and $600.

Personally, I've seen them go as low as $325, and as high as a
kilobuck at shows. The A and B iterations, considerably higher.

It really depends on what a buyer is willing to pay.

cuh...@webtv.net

Nov 5, 2010, 1:35:25 PM11/5/10
I reckon a Drake R8 (whether it works or not) would be priced at only a
few dollars if such a radio happens to show up at the Goodwill store
about half a mile (actually seven tenths of a mile, according to the
odometer on my 1983 big ass long tall full size Dodge van) South of
doggy's couch.Five dollars, Ms.Edna (at that Goodwill store I go to)
would most likely say.
Ms.Edna always treats me right.There are a couple more Goodwill stores
around town, I think, I could look in my phone book and see, but I am
not going to be driving all around town, I don'ts like to drive anymore
anyway.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com
cuhulin

Dana

Nov 30, 2010, 10:01:54 PM11/30/10
Ok, thanks for the info. I had one a long time ago.