Amateur Radio: Elmers List Info and Administrivia

Paul W. Schleck K3FU

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 beta (Perl 5.005)
Archive-name: radio/ham-radio/elmers/README
Posting-Frequency: posted on the first Monday of each even-numbered month

1991-2000

K3FU's maintenance of the Amateur Radio Elmers Resource Directory ending on
June 1st, 2000.

The following letter was sent to all current Elmers indicating my
resignation from maintenance of this 9-year resource. Thanks to all
the volunteer Elmers, as well as courteous list users, for making this
service a success. Discussions are currently underway with several
parties interested in taking it over, so watch this space later this
summer for redirection to the new site.

From pschleck Mon May 8 22:48:48 2000
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 22:48:48 -0500 (CDT)
From: psch...@novia.net (Paul W Schleck K3FU)
Subject: Amateur Radio Elmers Resource Directory Going Off-Line

The following is an important notice to all "Elmers" in the Amateur
Radio Elmers Resource Directory:

http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/elmers/

Note that you are only receiving this message because your E-mail
address appears, with your consent, in the above Directory. As this is
an appropriate, and rare, update to the Elmers from the Directory
Maintainer, this is not unsolicited or indiscriminantly-sent junk mail.

I regret to announce that the Amateur Radio Elmers Resource Directory, a
list of experts, mentors, and gurus for amateur radio on the Internet,
will be going QRT as of June 1, 2000 after just over 9 years of service.
This decision is not being forced upon me by anyone for any particular
legal or technical reason. Rather, I've decided to retire from
maintenance to focus on other personal and professional interests and
obligations.

Though substantially automated, the Directory still requires a
non-trivial amount of time and effort to maintain it, such that updates
had gone from monthly to approximately quarterly. If I try to continue
the Directory, it's clear that updates would likely slip to less than a
few times a year. The average turnover rate for individual Elmers (half
drop out every two years) means that many registering Elmers would
probably quit or otherwise lose interest before they are even added to
the Directory. I feel that this is an unacceptable level of customer
service for me to provide.

I also feel that I've taken this project to the limit of my expertise
and spare time in terms of format, visibility, automation of
maintenance, effective recruiting, and even good Web design. It's
clear that the Internet has changed greatly over the 9 years that the
Directory has been in existence. The Directory has evolved from a flat
text file edited on a VAX running VMS to a well-featured Web site.
However, in that time, much better amateur radio-related web sites have
emerged (including QRZ, Ham Radio Online, and ARRL) that make my site
rather simplistic by comparison. Also, it's clear that many more
enhancements would be required to make the Directory more maintainable
and secure. One obvious need that the current Directory does not
address is reasonably shielding the Elmers from having their E-mail
addresses harvested for junk-mail distribution lists. I'm sure that
this is a significant reason why recruiting has dropped off
significantly in the past two years.

I want to emphasize that I do believe that using the Internet, the
Usenet Newsgroups, and the World-Wide Web to bring Elmers and amateurs
requiring assistance together continues to be worthwhile. Because of
this, I would consider a highly-qualified and motivated volunteer to
take it over immediately. The Directory consists of a moderate number
of large text files, scripts, and other configuration files. It's
neatly arranged, and can probably be easily transplanted to another
Unix/Linux environment. However, very little documentation exists. The
ideal candidate will be a motivated self-starter and self-teacher
possessing several years of experience in:

- Unix/Linux
- C
- HTML
- Perl
- Procmail
- Source Code Control System (SCCS) or Revision Control System (RCS)
- Ispell
- Gnu Emacs

(this also implies that you have the above tools installed in your
environment)

and have approximately 6-8 hours of spare time per month for
maintenance. Because of the likely significant effort to transition
this project to another maintainer, a sincere interest in maintaining
the directory for at least another 3 years would also be required.

Familiarity with news.answers formatting conventions and the auto-faq
FAQ Management and Posting Package would be a plus. Concrete proposals
for enhancing the Directory to be a top-10 amateur-radio-related Web
site would also be desirable. I would also consider the Directory being
incorporated into an existing commercial amateur-radio-related Web site
as long as the essential non-commercial character of the Directory was
maintained.

If you feel that you possess the interest, motivation, and immediate,
hit-the-ground-running, skill set to do this, please send your resume,
statement of interest, and any proposals you wish to make regarding
your plans for future enhancements if selected, in confidence to
elmers-...@novia.net. Serious inquiries only, please.

I would like to thank all of the volunteer Elmers, as well as courteous
users of the Directory, for making this service a success, as well as an
enjoyable experience for me over the last 9 years.

--
73, Paul W. Schleck, K3FU
elmers-...@novia.net

Maintainer, Amateur Radio Elmers Resource Directory
http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/elmers/

Paul W. Schleck K3FU

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 beta (Perl 5.005)
Archive-name: radio/ham-radio/elmers/index/subject/part1

Paul W. Schleck K3FU

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 beta (Perl 5.005)
Archive-name: radio/ham-radio/elmers/index/subject/part2

Paul W. Schleck K3FU

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 beta (Perl 5.005)
Archive-name: radio/ham-radio/elmers/index/geographic

Paul W. Schleck K3FU

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 beta (Perl 5.005)
Archive-name: radio/ham-radio/elmers/list/part1

Paul W. Schleck K3FU

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 beta (Perl 5.005)
Archive-name: radio/ham-radio/elmers/list/part2

Paul W. Schleck K3FU

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 beta (Perl 5.005)
Archive-name: radio/ham-radio/elmers/list/part3

Paul W. Schleck K3FU

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 beta (Perl 5.005)
Archive-name: radio/ham-radio/elmers/list/part4

Paul W. Schleck K3FU

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 beta (Perl 5.005)
Archive-name: radio/ham-radio/elmers/list/part5

Paul W. Schleck K3FU

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 beta (Perl 5.005)
Archive-name: radio/ham-radio/elmers/list/part6

Paul W. Schleck K3FU

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.1 beta (Perl 5.005)
Archive-name: radio/ham-radio/elmers/diff