Re: Breaker! Breaker! FCC on deck to approve 11-meter FM CB

Unit 685

Jul 20, 2021, 2:31:34 PM7/20/21
s...@sam.invalid wrote in news:sd6osm$o3q$1...@dont-email.me:

> Breaker! Breaker! FCC on deck to approve 11-meter FM CB
> Fri, 07/16/2021 - 02:00
>
> Michelle Bradley, CBT, KU3N.
> July 15, 2021
>

> But the most interesting of these petitions was the one by Cobra that
> originally asked the FCC to permit FM emmissions in the 27 MHz
> Citizens Band. Frequency modulation has been used for decades on 11
> meters in many parts of Europe. The FCC originally rejected the idea
> of FM CB because it would "change the fundamental nature" of the radio
> service, but now, they have taken a new postion that FM CB would not
> change the nature of the service.and would "improve the customer
> experience".

Is CB channel 6 the nigger channel? Sounds like there's a lot

of Niggers on that one.

rosco

Jul 22, 2021, 8:42:20 PM7/22/21
Every channel is the nigger channel when you're on CB

Jeff Grant

Jul 22, 2021, 10:43:02 PM7/22/21
you are a fucking jerk.go take your cb radio and shove it up your ass

Jeff Grant

Jul 23, 2021, 6:09:09 PM7/23/21
YOU DON'T FUCKING UNDERSTAND.I'M DONE

Michael Bolton

Jul 24, 2021, 1:46:19 AM7/24/21

On the plus side, the greater fidelity and inherent noise rejection of FM will be a boon to mobile- and base-station operators. Even among seasoned radio hobbyists such as myself, listening to random radio noise (with or without a valid signal) for long periods can be rather fatiguing. Family members not into radio certainly find it annoying. FM (and its use of a receiver's Squelch function) will remedy this.

On the minus side, I hope there is no misuse of the FM mode. "Power mikes" (amplified microphones) that are common with AM and SSB may overdrive FM, resulting in distorted and splattery audio. Another fear is that of conflicts over channel usage of a mode. FCC rules do not specify which mode is to be used on any CB channel. "Gentlemans' agreements" have long held for SSB being used on Channels 16, and 36 through 40, with AM on the remainder. In the 1970s there were "turf wars," some becoming quite violent, over local mode usage. I do not know of any since that time, and have observed operators behaving for the most part regarding interaction with others sharing a channel. I would hope that this will continue with the addition of FM.

We'll see.

jeff grant

Jul 24, 2021, 3:08:11 PM7/24/21
you are about to have trouble coming "685"