Performance of Handheld CB in the Car

1 view

Drew Durigan

Oct 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/20/95
Mark Taylor <mta...@dbintellect.com> wrote:

>What is the peformance I can expect from a full-power
>handheld while driving in the car? How does it compare
>to a normal installation (i.e., I know it will be less
>but how much - 40% loss? 60% loss?)? Will I get an
>over-abundance of engine noise?
>
>Anybody who has used this set-up and could answer these
>type of questions would be appreciated.
>
>- Mark

The loss will be better than 90%. The metal car body "traps" the signal
and so very little of it escapes. Technical term is "the Faraday shield"
effect.

If nothing else, at least get a suction-cup mount and put the rubber
duckie outside.

-Drew in Charlotte-
KF4DDM

b w edginton

Oct 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/26/95
Mark Taylor <mta...@dbintellect.com> wrote:
>What is the peformance I can expect from a full-power
>handheld while driving in the car? How does it compare
>to a normal installation (i.e., I know it will be less
>but how much - 40% loss? 60% loss?)? Will I get an
>over-abundance of engine noise?
>
>Anybody who has used this set-up and could answer these
>type of questions would be appreciated.
>
>- Mark

Sorry Mark, cant answer your question but hope you dont mind if I
piggyback another related query. Which is: can anyone tell me with any
authority, if using a full power HT inside a steel-bodied vehicle is
any kind of hazard to one's wellbeing ? Either HF or UHF.
Thanks, mark
Brian

Bill Nelson

Oct 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/27/95
b w edginton (ed...@om.com.au) wrote:

: Mark Taylor <mta...@dbintellect.com> wrote:
: >What is the peformance I can expect from a full-power
: >handheld while driving in the car? How does it compare
: >to a normal installation (i.e., I know it will be less
: >but how much - 40% loss? 60% loss?)? Will I get an
: >over-abundance of engine noise?

Without an outside antenna, extremely poor. You will be lucky
to be able to talk a couple of blocks.

: Sorry Mark, cant answer your question but hope you dont mind if I

: piggyback another related query. Which is: can anyone tell me with any
: authority, if using a full power HT inside a steel-bodied vehicle is
: any kind of hazard to one's wellbeing ? Either HF or UHF.

No problems with HF, but some say a potential hazard with UHF.

You would be far better off, in both cases, to use an external antenna.

Bill

Tony Langdon

Oct 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/27/95
It's 26 Oct 95 18:52,
We'll return to ed...@om.com.au and All's
discussion of Performance of Handheld CB in the Car

ed> authority, if using a full power HT inside a steel-bodied vehicle is
ed> any kind of hazard to one's wellbeing ? Either HF or UHF.

I think the jury would still be out on that one, especially in the case
of UHF. I'd reccommend an externaly antenna, purely because you'll get
heaps better performance, especially on 27 MHz (where the car acts as a
Faraday shield). I've tried similar tricks on a train. UHF will work
inside reasonably well, but 27 MHz is totally useless, and the increase
in background noise and distant signals is very obvious when you step
onto the platform...

... What does a Computer Frog say? Reboot, Reboot, Reboot!