What is the range of a VX-150?

David Hayward

Mar 3, 2005, 4:49:29 AM3/3/05
Will it cover 20 miles??

Cheers

Gary S.

Mar 3, 2005, 5:38:20 AM3/3/05
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:49:29 +0000, David Hayward <d...@didge.com>
wrote:

>Will it cover 20 miles??
>
>Cheers

Depends on where you are standing, and where the other radio is
located, and what is in between..

2 meter is more-or-less line of sight, and 5 watts will get out a
ways.

At a regular elevation, I can hit repeaters 10-20 miles away. Simplex
I can usually get several miles, but this area has many hills, so it
is less predictable.

From a 3200 foot summit, I have worked simplex 40 plus miles away, and
repeaters 60 plus miles away, with a clear signal.

Note that I have replaced the stock antenna with a 1/4 wave one.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

James

Mar 3, 2005, 8:07:43 PM3/3/05
when you say 2 meter

don't you really mean

2 meterS ??????????????

Where on earth did "2 meter" come from ???

IF it is more than one meter, then it is meterS

Examples:

1 meter

2 meters

3 meters

etc etc etc

Good Luck !!

John Burke

Mar 3, 2005, 11:50:47 PM3/3/05
About cb's

On 3/3/05 1:49 AM, in article 2cnd21tld967n35fr...@4ax.com,

Gary S.

Mar 4, 2005, 3:37:59 PM3/4/05
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:07:43 -0500, "James" <jnipp...@nospamfdn.com>
wrote:

>when you say 2 meter
>
>don't you really mean
>
>2 meterS ??????????????
>
>Where on earth did "2 meter" come from ???
>
>IF it is more than one meter, then it is meterS
>
>Examples:

Many hams use the same thing to describe that band.

Do you use your radio on the 2 meter band, or on the 2 meterS band?

I am sorry to confuse you so much by using a term so hard for you to
understand.

James

Mar 5, 2005, 9:33:29 AM3/5/05

That is cb lingo. "If I put my radio on 2 meter, it gets hot."

CB lingo, pure and simple............

Gary S.

Mar 5, 2005, 9:47:07 AM3/5/05
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 09:33:29 -0500, "James" <jnipp...@nospamfdn.com>
wrote:

>That is cb lingo. "If I put my radio on 2 meter, it gets hot."
>
>CB lingo, pure and simple............

I wouldn't know. Not ever active with CB, although I do have one in my
random emergency radios.

It is the term that I hear hundreds of hams using 2 meter gear use.
May not be grammatically correct, but is common usage.

One could also think of it as an adjective form rather than a noun
form.

But I wouldn't want to interfere with your campaign against everyone
who is not exactly like you.

I did note that your additions to this thread had exactly zero to do
with the original question.

TJ

Mar 23, 2005, 12:03:23 PM3/23/05

"Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message

I gather none you are licences amateur radio operators, 2 meters is in
reference to the 2 meter band, aka 144 to 148 Mega Hertz. And the mode of
operation is FM aka Frequency Modulation. It's not a "cb" childrens band
lingo, it's actually "Amateur Radio or Professional Radio" lingo.

73 (not 73s)...de ve7agw Al

Gary S.

Mar 23, 2005, 1:57:25 PM3/23/05
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:03:23 GMT, "TJ" <tjtr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 09:33:29 -0500, "James" <jnipp...@nospamfdn.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>That is cb lingo. "If I put my radio on 2 meter, it gets hot."
>>>
>>>CB lingo, pure and simple............
>>>
>> I wouldn't know. Not ever active with CB, although I do have one in my
>> random emergency radios.
>>
>> It is the term that I hear hundreds of hams using 2 meter gear use.
>> May not be grammatically correct, but is common usage.
>>
>> One could also think of it as an adjective form rather than a noun
>> form.
>>
>> But I wouldn't want to interfere with your campaign against everyone
>> who is not exactly like you.
>>
>> I did note that your additions to this thread had exactly zero to do
>> with the original question.
>>
>> Happy trails,
>> Gary (net.yogi.bear)

>I gather none you are licences amateur radio operators, 2 meters is in

>reference to the 2 meter band, aka 144 to 148 Mega Hertz. And the mode of
>operation is FM aka Frequency Modulation. It's not a "cb" childrens band
>lingo, it's actually "Amateur Radio or Professional Radio" lingo.
>
>73 (not 73s)...de ve7agw Al

I am a licensed ham operator who uses the 2 meter band frequently. I
have picked up usage from other hams. This is the most common band
used for public service events.

Have not touched CB/11 meter very much, and none recently. Too much
noise from those operating illegally overpowered units. Probably still
have one in the basement. These days, I would not think it reliable
enough to use for any emergency use, and FRS to be superior for the
car-to-car usage within a caravan.

James is merely trying to stir up trouble, and does not care to help
new hams. Many others like that who are anti-Elmers.

Yes, 73 is enough, no need for 73s,