IRLP Contest

Ashley VK3HAG

Mar 17, 2005, 6:48:00 PM3/17/05
QST:

International IRLP Contest starts at 1101 AEDT (0001z) today, March 18,
2004. Over 100 nodes worldwide now participating with more joining
daily..details, contest rules & regs can be found at
http://kg4zxk.com/index.php or http://www.qsl.net/vk3irl/ as can a
pre-formatted log sheet and what contacts equal what points.

Join in this new and fascinating way of communicating. The contest concludes
at the closing of the IRLP Conference in Las Vegas, April 17, 2004.

Supported by the Bass IRLP Group, WIA, ARRL & Chesapeake AR Club, USA.

Ashley VK3HAG
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=1220943

Echolink No: *225827
Australian Amateur Radio Station
Visit WIA @ www.wia.org.au
Visit NERG @ www.nerg.asn.au

Buck

Mar 18, 2005, 1:04:56 AM3/18/05
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:48:00 GMT, "Ashley VK3HAG" <vk3...@nerg.asn.au>
wrote:

>QST:
>
>International IRLP Contest starts at 1101 AEDT (0001z) today, March 18,
>2004. Over 100 nodes worldwide now participating with more joining
>daily..details, contest rules & regs can be found at
>http://kg4zxk.com/index.php or http://www.qsl.net/vk3irl/ as can a
>pre-formatted log sheet and what contacts equal what points.
>
>Join in this new and fascinating way of communicating. The contest concludes
>at the closing of the IRLP Conference in Las Vegas, April 17, 2004.

Time travel?

Buck
--
For what it's worth.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Phaselock Ohms

Mar 18, 2005, 9:18:40 AM3/18/05
Thanks for the notice, but I was busy then.

--
Elementary Wattson
P.O.

Richard Newstead

Mar 18, 2005, 10:12:36 AM3/18/05
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:47:16 +0000, Walt Davidson <g3...@despammed.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:48:00 GMT, "Ashley VK3HAG" <vk3...@nerg.asn.au>
> wrote:
>

>> QST:
>>
>> International IRLP Contest starts at 1101 AEDT (0001z) today, March 18,
>> 2004. Over 100 nodes worldwide now participating with more joining
>> daily..details, contest rules & regs can be found at
>> http://kg4zxk.com/index.php or http://www.qsl.net/vk3irl/ as can a
>> pre-formatted log sheet and what contacts equal what points.

Anyone noticed how April 1st gets earlier each year?

--
SOTA Beams New Product - The WaterLog
http://www.sotabeams.co.uk

Jock.

Mar 18, 2005, 10:39:46 AM3/18/05
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:48:00 GMT, "Ashley VK3HAG" <vk3...@nerg.asn.au> wrote:

>QST:
>
>International IRLP Contest starts at 1101 AEDT (0001z) today, March 18,
>2004. Over 100 nodes worldwide now participating with more joining
>daily..details, contest rules & regs can be found at
>http://kg4zxk.com/index.php or http://www.qsl.net/vk3irl/ as can a
>pre-formatted log sheet and what contacts equal what points.
>
>Join in this new and fascinating way of communicating. The contest concludes
>at the closing of the IRLP Conference in Las Vegas, April 17, 2004.
>
>Supported by the Bass IRLP Group, WIA, ARRL & Chesapeake AR Club, USA.
>
>Ashley VK3HAG

Bwahahahahahahahhaaaaaa !

73 de Jock.
--
"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
- Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

ZZZPK

Mar 18, 2005, 2:42:21 PM3/18/05
Walt Davidson <g3...@despammed.com> wrote:

: So why cross-post this drivel to a UK newsgroup?

could the same question be asked about talking about
licences that cb'ers consider a bargain ?

11

Mar 18, 2005, 5:14:44 PM3/18/05

Ashley VK3HAG

Mar 20, 2005, 6:33:23 PM3/20/05

"Jock." <real_cla...@yahoo.fr> wrote in message

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:48:00 GMT, "Ashley VK3HAG" <vk3...@nerg.asn.au>
wrote:

> >QST:
> >
> >International IRLP Contest starts at 1101 AEDT (0001z) today, March 18,
> >2005. Over 100 nodes worldwide now participating with more joining

> >daily..details, contest rules & regs can be found at
> >http://kg4zxk.com/index.php or http://www.qsl.net/vk3irl/ as can a
> >pre-formatted log sheet and what contacts equal what points.
> >
> >Join in this new and fascinating way of communicating. The contest
concludes
> >at the closing of the IRLP Conference in Las Vegas, April 17, 2005.

> >Supported by the Bass IRLP Group, WIA, ARRL & Chesapeake AR Club, USA.
> >
> >Ashley VK3HAG

It is for any country that has an IRLP node, not just the USA and Australia.

It is called the "1st Aussie-American IRLP Contest" because of the
Australian Club & US Club sponsoring it. Some web sites have been updated to
read "1st International IRLP Contest"

There's plenty of UK nodes in the contest, the list is on the website

DieSea

Mar 20, 2005, 6:40:42 PM3/20/05

"Ashley VK3HAG" <vk3...@nerg.asn.au> wrote in message

Not my LOCAL Node

Local OP says there's enough contest on HF where SOME SKILL is needed and says
he's on holiday until the end of April.

To have contest on TWO DAYS a week is TOO much , for SEVEN Days its insufferable.

Cheers

DieSea

Mike Coslo

Mar 20, 2005, 7:18:52 PM3/20/05
DieSea wrote:

> Not my LOCAL Node
>
> Local OP says there's enough contest on HF where SOME SKILL is needed and says
> he's on holiday until the end of April.
>
> To have contest on TWO DAYS a week is TOO much , for SEVEN Days its insufferable.

I don't understand why cell phones aren't included.

- Mike -

DieSea

Mar 20, 2005, 7:28:41 PM3/20/05

"Mike Coslo" <mco...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

They should be , after all they can be used to control an EchoLink or IRLP Node .

I Should also add that this contest is on for a FULL MONTH , that's a full 28 days
or more .

If I remember MattD had some suitable comment a day or so back.

DieSea

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 20, 2005, 8:19:47 PM3/20/05

"Mike Coslo" <mco...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Or Baby Monitors ?

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 20, 2005, 8:20:50 PM3/20/05

"DieSea" <DieSea.No...@ntlworldd.ccom> wrote in message
Great....I'll join in if someone can help me get my CW Key to operate on it.

Dan/W4NTI

Simon VK3XEM

Mar 21, 2005, 2:31:04 AM3/21/05

There would be no reason why you can't use CW over IRLP. Stop bagging
IRLP, if you don't like it then don't use it!

WAKE UP! There are so many different things you can do on Amateur
Radio, there is room for everyone.

I just checked, there are a total of 1591 IRLP nodes, 1034 active, 879
idle and 105 in calls. This indicates the following to me:

1. IRLP is a popular way of communications on Amateur Radio.

2. This contest is going to have very little impact on any one local
node. Big deal someone is going to dial it up, put out a call either
they will make a contact or they won't and then they will close the link!

Get over it! Go back to your CW if you want, who bothers you or bags you
for using it, I know I certainly don't.

--
The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=157452
VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/

Message has been deleted

DieSea

Mar 21, 2005, 3:25:48 AM3/21/05

> > Great....I'll join in if someone can help me get my CW Key to operate on it.
> >
> > Dan/W4NTI
>
> There would be no reason why you can't use CW over IRLP. Stop bagging
> IRLP, if you don't like it then don't use it!
>
> WAKE UP! There are so many different things you can do on Amateur
> Radio, there is room for everyone.
>
> I just checked, there are a total of 1591 IRLP nodes, 1034 active, 879
> idle and 105 in calls. This indicates the following to me:
>
> 1. IRLP is a popular way of communications on Amateur Radio.
>
> 2. This contest is going to have very little impact on any one local
> node. Big deal someone is going to dial it up, put out a call either
> they will make a contact or they won't and then they will close the link!
>
> Get over it! Go back to your CW if you want, who bothers you or bags you
> for using it, I know I certainly don't.
>

> --
> The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.
>
> 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
> http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=157452
> VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/

Simon

I'm not bagging IRLP or Voip

A contest running for 24 hours perhaps or at a push 1 weekend but 24 / 7 for 28
days no way.

Ofcom / the RSGB have put in the conditions of issuing a Notice of Variation ,
that the holder of the Nov MUST be on site at all times the node is running , if
he's not then the can rescind his Nov if caught.

I would be surprised if any UK amateur providing a VoiP Gateway would be at home
for 24 / 7 for 28 days .

It there fore puts the UK amateur at a dis-advantage as soon as the licensee walks
of the property , the node should be turned off.

DieSea

Simon VK3XEM

Mar 21, 2005, 3:22:53 AM3/21/05
Walt Davidson wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:31:04 +1100, Simon VK3XEM <use...@vk3xem.net>
> wrote:
>

>>1. IRLP is a popular way of communications on Amateur Radio.
>

> IRLP has as much to do with Amateur Radio as smoke signals or
> semaphore.
>
> The only difference is, communication by smoke signals or semaphore
> would be a whole lot more challenging and satisfying than IRLP.
>
> 73 de G3NYY

WAKE UP! You *MUST* use your radio, the person at the other end *MUST*
use their radio. Last time I checked that was Amateur Radio.

Like I said before there are *MANY* parts to our hobby, I don't knock
what you do in Amateur Radio, so leave people alone that like IRLP.

Without new innovations in Amateur Radio we will not get new people into
the hobby. If we don't get new people into the hobby then Amateur Radio
will die a natural death and then we will have to find another hobby!

Simon VK3XEM

Mar 21, 2005, 3:40:47 AM3/21/05

I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to go against the regs. But what has
that got to do with the IRLP contest? My point was with so many active
nodes out there the load would be spread out and traffic I would expect
be very minimal on any given node.

Message has been deleted

DieSea

Mar 21, 2005, 4:28:06 AM3/21/05

> > It there fore puts the UK amateur at a dis-advantage as soon as the licensee
walks
> > of the property , the node should be turned off.
> >
> > DieSea
>
> I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to go against the regs. But what has
> that got to do with the IRLP contest? My point was with so many active
> nodes out there the load would be spread out and traffic I would expect
> be very minimal on any given node.

It certainly doesn't make the "PLAYING FIELDS LEVEL"

Our local Node op has been away this weekend helping at the Blackpool Rally so his
nodes been down since Friday , its just gone up.

In some respect we're lucky as he's an elderly bloke with mobility problems , he
doesn't get out much , so when he's up its on , he's still p***ed off with this 24
/ 7 x 28 day contest .

The Next comment you make is that its radio to radio , that's not 100 % correct ,
I know of at least 3 VK's , 2 VE's and at least 5 G / M stations that don't have a
radio connected to their node . Its quite easy to confirm that comment about G / M
stations if you know where to look.

DieSea.

Simon VK3XEM

Mar 21, 2005, 5:54:27 AM3/21/05
Walt Davidson wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:22:53 +1100, Simon VK3XEM <use...@vk3xem.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Without new innovations in Amateur Radio we will not get new people into
>>the hobby. If we don't get new people into the hobby then Amateur Radio
>>will die a natural death and then we will have to find another hobby!
>

> So, like others of your ilk, you are intent upon converting amateur
> radio into multi-band CB to satisfy your own selfish aims ... using
> the completely false pretext of "saving the hobby from dying".
>
> Yes, I thought so.
>
> 73 de G3NYY

I am not going to waste my time with you *IDIOT*, I have shit listed you!

Simon VK3XEM

Mar 21, 2005, 5:57:38 AM3/21/05

Are you sure you are not confusing IRLP with echolink? I personally
don't agree with using your computer to access the the network like
echolink does, but I am not going to stop any licensed person from doing
so if the regs. allow it.

Message has been deleted

Kate

Mar 21, 2005, 6:17:06 AM3/21/05

"Dan/W4NTI" <w4...@mindNOSPAMATALLspring.com> wrote in message

Sorry no, the babies objected strenuously to having their yelling webcast
across IRLP. A spokesbaby stated 'Goo goo GAH!!'

Kate vk4xyl :-))

Chris Kirby

Mar 21, 2005, 6:39:15 AM3/21/05
Simon VK3XEM wrote:

>DieSea wrote:
>> The Next comment you make is that its radio to radio , that's not 100 % correct ,
>> I know of at least 3 VK's , 2 VE's and at least 5 G / M stations that don't have a
>> radio connected to their node . Its quite easy to confirm that comment about G / M
>> stations if you know where to look.
>>
>> DieSea.
>
>Are you sure you are not confusing IRLP with echolink? I personally
>don't agree with using your computer to access the the network like
>echolink does, but I am not going to stop any licensed person from doing
>so if the regs. allow it.

"Diesea" is not confusing anything with anything. He is talking about
IRLP. ie. the system which is supposed to be radio > radio only.

--
Chris

nana

Mar 21, 2005, 7:06:55 AM3/21/05
> IRLP has as much to do with Amateur Radio as smoke signals or
> semaphore.
>
> 73 de G3NYY
>
> --
> Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com

You have a very narrow view of what actually constitutes Amateur Radio.

Brad.

DieSea

Mar 21, 2005, 8:15:00 AM3/21/05

Simon

If had meant EchoLink , I would have said EchoLink , you as I were talking
about IRLP and my response was in that vein.

I have been around before the inception of IRLP by Dave Cameron even before the
demise of IPhone and the I'll fated ILink.

If you know how to look you will find a number of IRLP nodes on air in the UK that
CAN NOT be attached to a radio.

DieSea.

DieSea

Mar 21, 2005, 8:30:06 AM3/21/05

"Chris Kirby" <g4...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Thanks Chris

As for EchoLink and its "USERS" ( Please Note the words Users and EchoLink ) I
Wonder how many "ON AIR PROVIDERS" are heartily fed up with a USER connecting with
out identifying and then disconnecting after 5 minutes and still have not
identified .

I KNOW several UK EchoLink on air providers where USERS are banned with certain
exceptions , one is a VK4 , a very pleasant "OLD GENT" of 85+ that Chris and I
have known for years.

Sorry to Hi-Jack your reply Chris .

DieSea

Jock.

Mar 21, 2005, 9:29:47 AM3/21/05
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:33:23 GMT, "Ashley VK3HAG" <vk3...@nerg.asn.au> wrote:

>"Jock." <real_cla...@yahoo.fr> wrote in message

I very much doubt it. I cannot imagine why I would want to write about
this sort of nonsense.

>> >International IRLP Contest starts at 1101 AEDT (0001z) today, March 18,
>> >2005. Over 100 nodes worldwide now participating with more joining
>> >daily..details, contest rules & regs can be found at
>> >http://kg4zxk.com/index.php or http://www.qsl.net/vk3irl/ as can a
>> >pre-formatted log sheet and what contacts equal what points.
>> >
>> >Join in this new and fascinating way of communicating. The contest
>> concludes at the closing of the IRLP Conference in Las Vegas, April 17, 2005.

------%<-----

Jock.

Mar 21, 2005, 9:37:21 AM3/21/05
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:31:04 +1100, Simon VK3XEM <use...@vk3xem.net> wrote:

>>>I don't understand why cell phones aren't included.

How many points would I accrue from working my nearest cellphone
node which is about 2 km distant?

>WAKE UP! There are so many different things you can do on Amateur
>Radio, there is room for everyone.

Absolutely, but this isn't one of them.

-----

>The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.

No doubt these organisations will be relieved to hear that.

DieSea

Mar 21, 2005, 10:23:25 AM3/21/05

> !!**Success**!!
>
> :-)))

> 73 de G3NYY
>
> --
> Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com

Now Wlat

PLEASE treat Simon with some respect

He wears a Halo , drives a Volvo and me_thinks could be XCB , he may even be known
to Lucifer.

Say no more ;;-)

DieSea

Walter Raleigh

Mar 21, 2005, 11:45:55 AM3/21/05

"Kate" <vk4...@nospam.ft.net.au> wrote in message

> Sorry no, the babies objected strenuously to having their yelling webcast
> across IRLP. A spokesbaby stated 'Goo goo GAH!!'

With the emphasis on "GAH!" :)

--
73s de Walter R.

Simon VK3XEM

Mar 21, 2005, 12:22:21 PM3/21/05

OK, I stand corrected there. In that case I am surprised Dave allows
them on the system as I understood the philosophy behind IRLP was to
*USE* the radio.

I am hopefully setting up a node for my local club later this year and I
have *NO* intention of operating it from the console, if or when I do
use it, it will be via a *RADIO* the way it is meant to be.

Simon VK3XEM

Mar 21, 2005, 12:27:17 PM3/21/05
Jock. wrote:

> How many points would I accrue from working my nearest cellphone
> node which is about 2 km distant?
>

>>WAKE UP! There are so many different things you can do on Amateur
>>Radio, there is room for everyone.
>

> Absolutely, but this isn't one of them.
>
> -----
>

>>The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.
>

> No doubt these organisations will be relieved to hear that.
>
> 73 de Jock.

Another moron on my shit list! Ignorance.

Just because I don't work CW doesn't mean I want it banned, in fact I
would like to see CW allocations retained as it is a valid an historical
part of our hobby. Just as IRLP is valid and *NEW* part of our hobby.

--

The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.

Brian Reay

Mar 21, 2005, 4:56:43 PM3/21/05

> Thanks for bringing this up Mate!.
>
> My major problem is folks refering to interconnecting "hams" over the
> internet as "ham radio". Ham radio is R A D I O . Not INTERNET
connected
> to Nodes then to a radio somewhere. Call it whatever you want, but it is
> NOT ham radio.

No doubt similar utterances were made when spark transmitters were phased
out.

Technology moves on, that is the nature of things. No one is forcing you to
use ILRP or any of the other modes.

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 21, 2005, 4:51:10 PM3/21/05

"Simon VK3XEM" <use...@vk3xem.net> wrote in message

> Get over it! Go back to your CW if you want, who bothers you or bags you
> for using it, I know I certainly don't.
>

> --
> The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.
>
> 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
> http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=157452
> VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/

Thanks for bringing this up Mate!.

My major problem is folks refering to interconnecting "hams" over the
internet as "ham radio". Ham radio is R A D I O . Not INTERNET connected
to Nodes then to a radio somewhere. Call it whatever you want, but it is
NOT ham radio.

Dan/W4NTI

Stan

Mar 21, 2005, 5:45:14 PM3/21/05

"Brian Reay" <brian.reay@(spamstopper)bigfoot.com> wrote in message
Missed the point there Brian, Dan is complaining about what the mode is
called, not the fact that it exists..

73 de Stan, G4EGH.

Martin, VK2UMJ

Mar 21, 2005, 5:52:44 PM3/21/05

> How many points would I accrue from working my nearest cellphone
> node which is about 2 km distant?
>
>>WAKE UP! There are so many different things you can do on Amateur
>>Radio, there is room for everyone.
>
> Absolutely, but this isn't one of them.

I fail to see the difference between using an FM repeater that is linked to
another repeater on a different band, which is commonly done, and using
IRLP.... Yet using the repeater is perfectly acceptable?

IRLP is, usually, vastly different than EchoLink.. If stations at both ends
are using radio, then does it really matter how the link between is
established? Using linked repeaters is fine, some of which use links
outside amateur bands, yet nobody here is suggesting that we put crap on
those operators!

Yes, DX contacts via HF are nice, and may be what many consider to be true
amateur radio, but not everyone can get on HF bands and if IRLP helps
increase activity on radio bands then how can it be a bad thing?

I do, however, agree that a 24/7 contest for a whole 28 days is starting to
get a bit much! 24/7 for 1 or 2 days should be enough, just like most other
amateur contests.

Cheers

--
Martin, VK2UMJ

To reply by e-mail, replace ".invalid" with ".com.au"

"I cannot help but notice that there is no problem
between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Mike Coslo

Mar 21, 2005, 8:40:11 PM3/21/05

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
> "Mike Coslo" <mco...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>
>>DieSea wrote:
>>

>>>Not my LOCAL Node
>>>
>>>Local OP says there's enough contest on HF where SOME SKILL is needed and
>>>says
>>>he's on holiday until the end of April.
>>>
>>>To have contest on TWO DAYS a week is TOO much , for SEVEN Days its
>>>insufferable.
>>

>>I don't understand why cell phones aren't included.
>>

>>- Mike -
>>

> Or Baby Monitors ?

That would be really kewl, Dan!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo

Mar 21, 2005, 8:42:44 PM3/21/05
Simon VK3XEM wrote:

> Dan/W4NTI wrote:
>
>> "DieSea" <DieSea.No...@ntlworldd.ccom> wrote in message

>>> "Mike Coslo" <mco...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

>>> insufferable.

>>> They should be , after all they can be used to control an EchoLink or
>>> IRLP Node .
>>>
>>> I Should also add that this contest is on for a FULL MONTH , that's a
>>> full 28 days
>>> or more .
>>>
>>> If I remember MattD had some suitable comment a day or so back.
>>>
>>> DieSea

>> Great....I'll join in if someone can help me get my CW Key to operate
>> on it.
>>
>> Dan/W4NTI
>

> There would be no reason why you can't use CW over IRLP. Stop bagging
> IRLP, if you don't like it then don't use it!
>

> WAKE UP! There are so many different things you can do on Amateur
> Radio, there is room for everyone.
>

> I just checked, there are a total of 1591 IRLP nodes, 1034 active, 879
> idle and 105 in calls. This indicates the following to me:
>
> 1. IRLP is a popular way of communications on Amateur Radio.
>
> 2. This contest is going to have very little impact on any one local
> node. Big deal someone is going to dial it up, put out a call either
> they will make a contact or they won't and then they will close the link!
>

> Get over it! Go back to your CW if you want, who bothers you or bags you
> for using it, I know I certainly don't.

But we really NEED to allow this with cell phones, dagnabit! And not
for just Hams, but for everyone.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo

Mar 21, 2005, 8:59:35 PM3/21/05
Simon VK3XEM wrote:

> Walt Davidson wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:31:04 +1100, Simon VK3XEM <use...@vk3xem.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> 1. IRLP is a popular way of communications on Amateur Radio.
>>

>> IRLP has as much to do with Amateur Radio as smoke signals or
>> semaphore.
>>
>> The only difference is, communication by smoke signals or semaphore
>> would be a whole lot more challenging and satisfying than IRLP.
>>
>> 73 de G3NYY
>

> WAKE UP! You *MUST* use your radio, the person at the other end *MUST*
> use their radio. Last time I checked that was Amateur Radio.

Here is what the difference is.

There is very little difference between IRLP and people using the
internet for making telephone calls.

If a person made a gateway for IRLP using FRS radios, it would be the
same thing. For CB radio, same thing.

There are voice chat rooms for people on the internet already. They are
probably more reliable than IRLP. THey cut out the weak link - the radio.

The whole setup eliminates every interest and challenge of Amateur
radio, except for the talking. There is as much technical acumen needed
for me to talk around the world using IRLP as there is for me to pick up
the telephone.

> Like I said before there are *MANY* parts to our hobby, I don't knock
> what you do in Amateur Radio, so leave people alone that like IRLP.

Um, no thanks. Seriously, if you want to do IRLP, then have at it. But
if you do silly things like have contests, then I think I'll voice my
opinion if ya don't mind.

> Without new innovations in Amateur Radio we will not get new people into
> the hobby. If we don't get new people into the hobby then Amateur Radio
> will die a natural death and then we will have to find another hobby!

And here is the real kick. Do you actually *think* that IRLP is some
kind of "innovation"? It is the internet equivalent of a phone patch.
Like I say, if that is your think, then fine. But to actually have a
contest for such things is silly.

Of course, last time I checked, there was no law against being silly! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo

Mar 21, 2005, 9:12:53 PM3/21/05
Martin, VK2UMJ wrote:

> "Jock." <real_cla...@yahoo.fr> wrote in message

>>How many points would I accrue from working my nearest cellphone
>>node which is about 2 km distant?
>>

>>>WAKE UP! There are so many different things you can do on Amateur
>>>Radio, there is room for everyone.
>>
>>Absolutely, but this isn't one of them.
>

> I fail to see the difference between using an FM repeater that is linked to
> another repeater on a different band, which is commonly done, and using
> IRLP.... Yet using the repeater is perfectly acceptable?

Umm, do we have FM repeater contests?

> IRLP is, usually, vastly different than EchoLink.. If stations at both ends
> are using radio, then does it really matter how the link between is
> established?

That depends. The idea of using Handi-talkies to talk across the world
by IRLP is interesting after a fashion, but in reality not a lot
different than using a phone patch to do the same.

Using linked repeaters is fine, some of which use links
> outside amateur bands, yet nobody here is suggesting that we put crap on
> those operators!

Frankly, although I use FM repeaters of the linked and normal variety,
they are only for utilitarian purposes, and really aren't all that much
"fun"

> Yes, DX contacts via HF are nice, and may be what many consider to be true
> amateur radio, but not everyone can get on HF bands and if IRLP helps
> increase activity on radio bands then how can it be a bad thing?

It is a dilution of Amateur radio.

> I do, however, agree that a 24/7 contest for a whole 28 days is starting to
> get a bit much! 24/7 for 1 or 2 days should be enough, just like most other
> amateur contests.

Under no circumstances is it "like" other amateur contests.

This is what is a little bothersome about the whole thing. For me to
participate in an HF contest, (excluding that I have to do this stuff
to get on the air anyhow) I need to erect an antenna system that works
fairly well, I have to hone my receiving skills so that I can pull weak
signals, and to learn general good operating practices.

Now, what do I need to do with IRLP?..........

The bothersome part is that it seems like too many IRLP'ers and
Echolinker's, just don't "get " that.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo

Mar 21, 2005, 9:15:37 PM3/21/05

Brian Reay wrote:

> "Dan/W4NTI" <w4...@mindNOSPAMATALLspring.com> wrote in message
>

>>Thanks for bringing this up Mate!.
>>
>>My major problem is folks refering to interconnecting "hams" over the
>>internet as "ham radio". Ham radio is R A D I O . Not INTERNET
>
> connected
>
>>to Nodes then to a radio somewhere. Call it whatever you want, but it is
>>NOT ham radio.
>>

> No doubt similar utterances were made when spark transmitters were phased
> out.
>
> Technology moves on, that is the nature of things. No one is forcing you to
> use ILRP or any of the other modes.

Kindly indicate how IRLP is a moving on of technology?

I can do EVERYTHING that IRLP or Echolink can do by eliminating the
silly Handi-Talkie on the end.

It would all work better if the radio part was eliminated.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo

Mar 21, 2005, 9:16:24 PM3/21/05

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

It is an H-T audio chat room, Dan.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Simon VK3XEM

Mar 21, 2005, 9:08:56 PM3/21/05

Up until now I haven't made comment on the contest, that is probably
because I have no real interest at present for contesting, although that
does change from time to time.

I suppose a month long contest is a long time, although I would have
thought that being spread over a large network such as IRLP it wouldn't
have really created a great deal of traffic on any given node.

Besides, how many operators are going to be contesting all month? Most
I would expect will just jump on in their spare time, just as they would
for normal operating.

Martin, VK2UMJ

Mar 21, 2005, 10:41:00 PM3/21/05

> Martin, VK2UMJ wrote:
>
>> "Jock." <real_cla...@yahoo.fr> wrote in message

>>>How many points would I accrue from working my nearest cellphone
>>>node which is about 2 km distant?

>>>Absolutely, but this isn't one of them.
>>

>> I fail to see the difference between using an FM repeater that is linked
>> to another repeater on a different band, which is commonly done, and
>> using IRLP.... Yet using the repeater is perfectly acceptable?
>
> Umm, do we have FM repeater contests?

Yep..... Well, contests that allow FM repeater contacts anyway...

>> IRLP is, usually, vastly different than EchoLink.. If stations at both
>> ends are using radio, then does it really matter how the link between is
>> established?
>
> That depends. The idea of using Handi-talkies to talk across the world by
> IRLP is interesting after a fashion, but in reality not a lot different
> than using a phone patch to do the same.

True, but even a phone patch at one stage in history was popular and they
both still use radio to some degree. Maybe not everybody's 'cup of tea',
but still neither is CW, or SSTV, or RTTY, etc..

> Using linked repeaters is fine, some of which use links
>> outside amateur bands, yet nobody here is suggesting that we put crap on
>> those operators!
>
> Frankly, although I use FM repeaters of the linked and normal variety,
> they are only for utilitarian purposes, and really aren't all that much
> "fun"

I agree, and while I would much prefer to run DX on 50MHz SSB, that isn't
always possible so what happens during other times? Do I just switch all
the radio gear off and give up, or resort to using repeaters and the like???

>> Yes, DX contacts via HF are nice, and may be what many consider to be
>> true amateur radio, but not everyone can get on HF bands and if IRLP
>> helps increase activity on radio bands then how can it be a bad thing?
>
> It is a dilution of Amateur radio.

Voice was a dilution of Amateur Radio way back in the early days where CW
was all the go, yet here we are removing CW from the entrance requirements.
Rather than criticise those using IRLP, shouldn't we just 'understand' that
maybe they use it for a reason and then encourage them to experiment with
other modes??? On the other hand, I know of many long time hams that use HF
often for DX contacts, even using CW, but at other times (e.g. when mobile,
when portable, or when conditions are very poor) they use IRLP to keep in
touch with overseas stations AND encourage newcomers to the hobby to chat
with people outside their city....

>> I do, however, agree that a 24/7 contest for a whole 28 days is starting
>> to get a bit much! 24/7 for 1 or 2 days should be enough, just like most
>> other amateur contests.
>
> Under no circumstances is it "like" other amateur contests.
>
> This is what is a little bothersome about the whole thing. For me to
> participate in an HF contest, (excluding that I have to do this stuff to
> get on the air anyhow) I need to erect an antenna system that works fairly
> well, I have to hone my receiving skills so that I can pull weak signals,
> and to learn general good operating practices.
>
> Now, what do I need to do with IRLP?..........

Erect an an antenna system that works fairly well (depending if you use a
repeater or simplex node), learn general good operating practices, get DTMF
working on your radio!!!!

> The bothersome part is that it seems like too many IRLP'ers and
> Echolinker's, just don't "get " that.

I agree EchoLink is just not amateur radio, although I use it sometimes from
inside the house where the XYL wont let me bring my radios! But again,
rather than criticise and make fun of their chosen mode, wouldn't we be much
better off encouraging the use of other modes????

--
Martin, VK2UMJ

To reply by e-mail, replace ".invalid" with ".com.au"

Q. Why is Santa so jolly?
A. Because he knows where all the bad girls live!

Brian Reay

Mar 22, 2005, 2:08:45 AM3/22/05

> > No doubt similar utterances were made when spark transmitters were
phased
> > out.
> >
> > Technology moves on, that is the nature of things. No one is forcing you
> > use ILRP or any of the other modes.
>

> Kindly indicate how IRLP is a moving on of technology?
>
> I can do EVERYTHING that IRLP or Echolink can do by eliminating the
> silly Handi-Talkie on the end.
>
> It would all work better if the radio part was eliminated.

So you've moved on "even further".

Personally, I like the radio bit and, to me, Echolink (or the other VOIP
systems) aren't "real amateur radio". However, I don't feel the urge to tell
you how you should enjoy your hobby. If Echolink does it for you, please
enjoy the hobby in your own way.

Stan

Mar 22, 2005, 5:12:48 PM3/22/05

>> Missed the point there Brian, Dan is complaining about what the mode is
>> called, not the fact that it exists..
>>
>> 73 de Stan, G4EGH.
>>

> Thank you Stan. Perhaps my American is not up to the English standards,
> eh?
>
> Dan/W4NTI

Your English is fine, Dan. Brian sometimes misses the point, which is
surprising, given the education he apparently received :-)

73 de Stan, G4EGH

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 22, 2005, 4:07:52 PM3/22/05

"Stan" <Rub...@rubbish.com> wrote in message

Thank you Stan. Perhaps my American is not up to the English standards,
eh?

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 22, 2005, 4:15:37 PM3/22/05

"nana" <na...@netscape.net> wrote in message

>> My major problem is folks refering to interconnecting "hams" over the
>> internet as "ham radio". Ham radio is R A D I O . Not INTERNET
>> connected to Nodes then to a radio somewhere. Call it whatever you want,
>> but it is NOT ham radio.
>>
>> Dan/W4NTI
>
> Bollocks. That rules out repeater linking and remote shacks using any form
> of landline. I hope you can convince the DXCC committee to reject all
> those QSL cards from peole using remote bases.
>
> Brad

No it does not Brad. It's not the technology it's the terminology.

Dan/W4NTI

Ashley VK3HAG

Mar 22, 2005, 9:02:29 PM3/22/05
I choose to use IRLP as it allows me to connect to hams interstate and
overseas, until I can get HF gear put up, which seeing as we are moving, not
much point until at new QTH later this year. Personally, as a newbie to ham
radio, (but long time cb'er and scanner user) it is a great way to get one
interested in amateur radio. When I have a HF set-up I will have a list of
contacts overseas I have made via IRLP and try to contact them on HF.

**As a newcomer to ham radio IRLP has made me want to get my HF gear, hf
antennas etc sooner, ie IRLP has encouraged me to make international
contacts on HF one day**

As for the IRLP contest I think it's great, because I've never been in any
AR contest, although after listening for a while I did give out some numbers
for the John Moyle Field Day. To me the IRLP contest is a great way to have
fun and at the same time learn about contesting, as a newbie to AR I've
never being in a contest before, nor did I know what they were all about.
Yes, I do read, but if your new to ham radio, all that information on the
various AR contests in AR magazine didn't make any sense until I started
participating in the IRLP contest, now I've got some idea of how a contest
works, instead of having to learn in the middle of a pile-up. (Like the one
at the beginning and end of each three hour block of the JMFD, here in
Melbourne the 2m/70cm FM call channels where very alive, to say the least)
Note also that I intend to try many different aspects of ar besides FM
repeaters, FM simplex and IRLP.

**As a newcomer to ham radio the IRLP contest meant that I participated
(gave out about 15pts as Home Station) in the John Moyle Field Day, which I
wouldn't have done without the previous two days practice at contesting on
the IRLP mode, as I didn't have a clue about contesting**.

So, IRLP is bad because it's introduced a new ham to contesting and
international contacts. I'm so disappointed that IRLP taught me these
skills. Not.

Now, I'm looking forward to the next Australian contest that includes V/UHF
FM and I'll participate, as I will in HF contests when I have HF gear. The
IRLP Contest has provided the opportunity for me to be introduced to, and
learn about contesting in a contest that is relaxed-pace one, so unlike a
'pile-up' on HF with a newcomer trying in vain to get through, I've got some
practice at calling "CQ Contest" and responding.

And the last one for a 'newbie'. No I don't know CW. Will I learn CW? Yes.
After a while, once I have been a ham for a while I will start to practice
CW. I do have a key and I do listen to CW practice transmissions from time
to time.

The contest goes for a month so there would be no 'pile ups', so the end
would co-incide with the IRLP Conference in Las Vegas, and the operation of
Node 6392 by VK3JED in Las Vegas! Further, the Node Owners of all the
Participating Stations have given the Bass IRLP Group permission to use
thier nodes for the contest. If the knockers took a look at the
Participating Nodes list they would see that the UK and USA have many more
nodes listed than other countries.

Should I try packet and satellite work? How about ATV? I'd ask, but too many
people in here will say "that's not ham radio" so I'll try them all anyway
and see what takes my fancy :)

PS:Any VK3's with a packet TNC to sell or know where to get one from?

VK3...@NERG.NOSPAM.ASN.NET.

> Mike Coslo wrote:
> >

> > Brian Reay wrote:
> >

> >> Well, in that case why don't you call it something else. Then come
back
> >> when someone makes you call it by the name that upsets you.
> >>
> >> Untill then, 'mellow out'.
> >

> > Dan, why are IRLP fans so quick to tell people to shut up and go
> > away when someone disagrees with them. Are people like you and
> > "concerned amateur" typical of what we might meet if we sample the mode?
> >
> > - Mike KB3EIA -
>
> The argument I see here is some appear to be *AGAINST* IRLP therefore it
> should not be allowed on the Amateur Bands, and that is what is annoying
> me the most.
>
> My attitude is that any Amateur should be free to operate what ever
> band, mode, etc. they wish provided they are not interfering with others
> without being hounded by others simply because they don't believe that
> mode (or what ever you want to call it) should not be on Amateur Radio.
>
> There is plenty of spectrum for us to *SHARE*, to pursue the hobby in
> the way each of us want to. Although I have not operated CW myself I
> hope that allocations remain for those that do make use of this part of
> our hobby. Just because I don't operate a given mode does not mean that
> I should believe it be abolished.
>
> The great thing with our hobby as I see it is that there are so many
> different aspects of it to explore, IRLP is just one of them!

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 22, 2005, 4:07:01 PM3/22/05

"Brian Reay" <brian.reay@(spamstopper)bigfoot.com> wrote in message
Oh I don't think so Brian. Spark was a MODE not a different system of
sending the information.

CW is continous wave. I.E. still sending information by the same method.
I.E. over the airwaves now called RADIO.

Do you see the difference yet?

I do. And so does anyone else with a brain.

Look...new technology is fine. Old technology is also fine. But these two
things ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE. Radio is Radio. Internet is Internet. Get
it?

Dan/W4NTI

Simon VK3XEM

Mar 22, 2005, 8:08:20 PM3/22/05
Ashley VK3HAG wrote:
> Only the nominated Participating Nodes may be used for the contest. However,
> nodes that are connected to Reflectors that are Participating (ie a UK Nov
> node) still count, but only the Participating Nodes may be connected to by
> contesters, therefore it is fair to all stations, as only those nominated
> in each country are participating nodes. Note that new nodes are added daily
> to the participating list.

That certainly knocks down a lot of the flamers!

> "DieSea" <DieSea.No...@ntlworldd.ccom> wrote in message

> licensee
>
>>walks

>>>I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to go against the regs. But what has
>>>that got to do with the IRLP contest? My point was with so many active
>>>nodes out there the load would be spread out and traffic I would expect
>>>be very minimal on any given node.

>>It certainly doesn't make the "PLAYING FIELDS LEVEL"
>>
>>Our local Node op has been away this weekend helping at the Blackpool
>
> Rally so his
>
>>nodes been down since Friday , its just gone up.
>>
>>In some respect we're lucky as he's an elderly bloke with mobility
>
> problems , he
>
>>doesn't get out much , so when he's up its on , he's still p***ed off with
>
> this 24
>
>>/ 7 x 28 day contest .
>>

>>The Next comment you make is that its radio to radio , that's not 100 %
>
> correct ,
>
>>I know of at least 3 VK's , 2 VE's and at least 5 G / M stations that
>
> don't have a
>
>>radio connected to their node . Its quite easy to confirm that comment
>
> about G / M
>
>>stations if you know where to look.
>>
>>DieSea.

Mike Coslo

Mar 22, 2005, 7:22:08 PM3/22/05

Brian Reay wrote:

> "Dan/W4NTI" <w4...@mindNOSPAMATALLspring.com> wrote in message

> > Oh I don't think so Brian. Spark was a MODE not a different system of
>
>>sending the information.
>>
>>CW is continous wave. I.E. still sending information by the same method.
>>I.E. over the airwaves now called RADIO.
>>
>>Do you see the difference yet?
>>
>>I do. And so does anyone else with a brain.
>>
>>Look...new technology is fine. Old technology is also fine. But these
>
> two
>
>>things ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE. Radio is Radio. Internet is Internet.
>
> Get
>
>>it?
>

> What I don't 'get' is why people get so 'up tight' over such things?
>
> If people enjoy VOIP systems fine, if they don't, fine. Ditto Morse, Packet,
> Phone, Repeaters, .........
>
> I've yet to see a facet of the hobby that has adversely impacted my
> enjoyment- even if is a facet that leaves me cold.
>
> What is this urge to insist everyone does it 'your way'?

I believe Dan and myself are *not* insisting that people do things
*our* way. IIRC, Dan is mainly CW and at least some SSB.

I do probably 90 percent PSK31, a VHF net check-in, and some SSB
contesting.

Have he or I been insisting on people using our favorite modes?

I know that my objection to the internet modes is *not* their
existence, but that so many of their adherents want to call them
"radio". And having a contest only exacerbates the silliness.

And yes, a person uses their radio to access the network injection
point. Not much of a challenge, that.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 22, 2005, 4:14:04 PM3/22/05

"Mike Coslo" <mco...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
As I said....call it whatever they want. But it ain't Ham Radio.

Dan/W4NTI

Chris Kirby

Mar 22, 2005, 4:20:19 AM3/22/05
nana wrote:

>Bollocks. That rules out repeater linking and remote shacks using any form
>of landline. I hope you can convince the DXCC committee to reject all those
>QSL cards from peole using remote bases.

QSL cards can be exchanged for any sort of radio contact. There are no
rules. Perfectly ok to QSL after an eQSO/Echolnk/IRLP contact. The
problem will arise for DXCC when the card does not make it clear that
the QSO was not 100% radio, and these cards are used to claim awards.

73,
--
Chris

Ashley VK3HAG

Jock.

Mar 22, 2005, 3:26:33 PM3/22/05
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:08:56 +1100, Simon VK3XEM <use...@vk3xem.net> wrote:

>Besides, how many operators are going to be contesting all month? Most
>I would expect will just jump on in their spare time, just as they would
>for normal operating.

Are you seriously labelling the morons who indulge in this sort
of nonsense "operators"? Seriously?

73 de Jock.
--
"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
- Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

Brian Reay

Mar 22, 2005, 7:40:14 PM3/22/05

> Brian Reay wrote:
>

> > Well, in that case why don't you call it something else. Then come back
> > when someone makes you call it by the name that upsets you.
> >
> > Untill then, 'mellow out'.
>

> Dan, why are IRLP fans so quick to tell people to shut up and go away
> when someone disagrees with them. Are people like you and "concerned
> amateur" typical of what we might meet if we sample the mode?

I don't think anyone is saying "shut up" etc. I'm saying unless ILRP impacts
you, why worry?

Over the years I've come across many amateurs who hated some aspect of the
hobby- packet, anything computer based,........ Not one ever seems to have
found a niche they really do like.

Brian Reay

Mar 22, 2005, 7:32:00 PM3/22/05

> I know that my objection to the internet modes is *not* their
> existence, but that so many of their adherents want to call them
> "radio". And having a contest only exacerbates the silliness.

Hmm, and what someone else calls it bothers you? AND they want a contest.
The cheek of it!

This a akin to "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin." Take a
chill pill.

> And yes, a person uses their radio to access the network injection
> point. Not much of a challenge, that.

So don't do it yourself, seek out something you find rewarding rather than
worry how others get their kicks.

Oh I agree that it isn't much challenge but so what? Who are 'they' harming?

Brian Reay

Mar 22, 2005, 4:42:19 PM3/22/05
"Dan/W4NTI" <w4...@mindNOSPAMATALLspring.com> wrote in message

> Oh I don't think so Brian. Spark was a MODE not a different system of
> sending the information.
>
> CW is continous wave. I.E. still sending information by the same method.
> I.E. over the airwaves now called RADIO.
>
> Do you see the difference yet?
>
> I do. And so does anyone else with a brain.
>
> Look...new technology is fine. Old technology is also fine. But these
two
> things ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE. Radio is Radio. Internet is Internet.
Get
> it?

What I don't 'get' is why people get so 'up tight' over such things?

If people enjoy VOIP systems fine, if they don't, fine. Ditto Morse, Packet,
Phone, Repeaters, .........

I've yet to see a facet of the hobby that has adversely impacted my
enjoyment- even if is a facet that leaves me cold.

What is this urge to insist everyone does it 'your way'?

Mike Coslo

Mar 22, 2005, 9:25:43 PM3/22/05
Brian Reay wrote:

> "Mike Coslo" <mco...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >

>>I know that my objection to the internet modes is *not* their
>>existence, but that so many of their adherents want to call them
>>"radio". And having a contest only exacerbates the silliness.
>

> Hmm, and what someone else calls it bothers you? AND they want a contest.
> The cheek of it!

Quite!

> This a akin to "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin." Take a
> chill pill.

Brian, Chill pills are for the upset. Its just my opinion.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo

Mar 22, 2005, 7:24:16 PM3/22/05

Brian Reay wrote:

> Well, in that case why don't you call it something else. Then come back
> when someone makes you call it by the name that upsets you.
>
> Untill then, 'mellow out'.

Dan, why are IRLP fans so quick to tell people to shut up and go away
when someone disagrees with them. Are people like you and "concerned
amateur" typical of what we might meet if we sample the mode?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 22, 2005, 4:16:59 PM3/22/05

"Chris Kirby" <g4...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Which opens up another area of consternation. Here it is; If you don't do
it via radio, you don't qualify for a ham RADIO award.

Dan/W4NTI

Mike Coslo

Mar 22, 2005, 9:22:14 PM3/22/05
Martin, VK2UMJ wrote:

Certainly. One of the major reasons that I got into Ham radio *was* the
phone patch. One of my other hobbies is off road 4WD'ing. North of my
QTH is a great place for that. Unfortunately, I sometimes get stuck, and
extricating myself can take anywhere from a few minutes to half a day
(and I think you IRLP'ers have some odd ideas on how to have fun!!)
hehehe but I digress. My XYL gets a bit worried when I don't show up for
dinner, and cell phones just don't work that far out in the woods. But I
can patch in with either my handheld or truck radio, and let her know
I'll be late. All this much to the amusement of my local Ham bud's.

>> Using linked repeaters is fine, some of which use links
>>
>>>outside amateur bands, yet nobody here is suggesting that we put crap on
>>>those operators!
>>
>>Frankly, although I use FM repeaters of the linked and normal variety,
>>they are only for utilitarian purposes, and really aren't all that much
>>"fun"
>

> I agree, and while I would much prefer to run DX on 50MHz SSB, that isn't
> always possible so what happens during other times? Do I just switch all
> the radio gear off and give up, or resort to using repeaters and the like???

Well, I don't know what your situation is for the lower HF bands. But
remember, my issue isn't with the mode, even though I don't care for it.
I just think things like contests are silly.

>>>Yes, DX contacts via HF are nice, and may be what many consider to be
>>>true amateur radio, but not everyone can get on HF bands and if IRLP
>>>helps increase activity on radio bands then how can it be a bad thing?
>>
>>It is a dilution of Amateur radio.
>

> Voice was a dilution of Amateur Radio way back in the early days where CW
> was all the go, yet here we are removing CW from the entrance requirements.

Well, I can see a difference when most of the transmission is via fiber
rather than the air.

> Rather than criticise those using IRLP, shouldn't we just 'understand' that
> maybe they use it for a reason and then encourage them to experiment with
> other modes??? On the other hand, I know of many long time hams that use HF
> often for DX contacts, even using CW, but at other times (e.g. when mobile,
> when portable, or when conditions are very poor) they use IRLP to keep in
> touch with overseas stations AND encourage newcomers to the hobby to chat
> with people outside their city....

Or, will it encoiurage newcomers to simply stay at the lowes level,
because if chatting to people around the world is their goal, then they
have achieved it. As I have said, if that is what floats their boat,
then so be it.

>>>I do, however, agree that a 24/7 contest for a whole 28 days is starting
>>>to get a bit much! 24/7 for 1 or 2 days should be enough, just like most
>>>other amateur contests.
>>
>>Under no circumstances is it "like" other amateur contests.
>>
>>This is what is a little bothersome about the whole thing. For me to
>>participate in an HF contest, (excluding that I have to do this stuff to
>>get on the air anyhow) I need to erect an antenna system that works fairly
>>well, I have to hone my receiving skills so that I can pull weak signals,
>>and to learn general good operating practices.
>>
>>Now, what do I need to do with IRLP?..........
>

> Erect an an antenna system that works fairly well (depending if you use a
> repeater or simplex node), learn general good operating practices, get DTMF
> working on your radio!!!!

And let us hope they don't stop there!

>>The bothersome part is that it seems like too many IRLP'ers and
>>Echolinker's, just don't "get " that.
>

> I agree EchoLink is just not amateur radio, although I use it sometimes from
> inside the house where the XYL wont let me bring my radios!

hehe, my XYL was also pretty critical. I did eventually tell her that
I was thinking about taking up a new hobby in place of amateur radio.
The new hobby was going to bars and chatting with loose "wimmin". I
retrospect, the ham radio didn't seem so bad. Now as long as my antennas
aren't too obvious, she doesn't complain too much.

But again,
> rather than criticise and make fun of their chosen mode, wouldn't we be much
> better off encouraging the use of other modes????

Oh, heck, when you put it *that* way........ 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Brian Reay

Mar 22, 2005, 4:46:53 PM3/22/05
"Dan/W4NTI" <w4...@mindNOSPAMATALLspring.com> wrote in message

> > Missed the point there Brian, Dan is complaining about what the mode is
> > called, not the fact that it exists..
> >
> > 73 de Stan, G4EGH.
> >

> Thank you Stan. Perhaps my American is not up to the English standards,
> eh?

Well, in that case why don't you call it something else. Then come back

when someone makes you call it by the name that upsets you.

Untill then, 'mellow out'.

In the scheme of things to worry about this must rate below which shoes I
wear tomorrow.

Mike Coslo

Mar 22, 2005, 9:28:24 PM3/22/05

Brian Reay wrote:

> I don't think anyone is saying "shut up" etc. I'm saying unless ILRP impacts
> you, why worry?

Right. II understan you, but at least two peopple here have told me to
shut up. Or go away, or something like that.

Considering that this is a Usenet group, wouldn't shutting up and going
away deprive them of a good row?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Simon VK3XEM

Mar 22, 2005, 6:26:36 PM3/22/05
Jock. wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:08:56 +1100, Simon VK3XEM <use...@vk3xem.net> wrote:
>

>>Besides, how many operators are going to be contesting all month? Most
>>I would expect will just jump on in their spare time, just as they would
>>for normal operating.
>

> Are you seriously labelling the morons who indulge in this sort
> of nonsense "operators"? Seriously?
>
> 73 de Jock.

No, I am actually labeling *YOU* as a moron and shit listing you!

nana

Mar 22, 2005, 4:06:16 AM3/22/05
> My major problem is folks refering to interconnecting "hams" over the
> internet as "ham radio". Ham radio is R A D I O . Not INTERNET
> connected to Nodes then to a radio somewhere. Call it whatever you want,
> but it is NOT ham radio.
>
> Dan/W4NTI

Bollocks. That rules out repeater linking and remote shacks using any form
of landline. I hope you can convince the DXCC committee to reject all those
QSL cards from peole using remote bases.

Brad

Simon VK3XEM

Martin, VK2UMJ

Mar 23, 2005, 12:07:05 AM3/23/05
> Martin, VK2UMJ wrote:

[SNIP]

>> I agree, and while I would much prefer to run DX on 50MHz SSB, that isn't
>> always possible so what happens during other times? Do I just switch all
>> the radio gear off and give up, or resort to using repeaters and the
>> like???
>
> Well, I don't know what your situation is for the lower HF bands. But
> remember, my issue isn't with the mode, even though I don't care for it. I
> just think things like contests are silly.

Well, perhaps.. Then again *I* think that CW contests are silly!!!! ;-)
(now watch as I am slowly flamed by all the CW operators!!)

No, seriously, I agree that perhaps "contest" was a poor choice of titles
for it, although I see what they are trying to do - just the same as we are
all trying to do and get people active in some way. I also think the 28
days was a tad too long, for *any* 'contest'. Maybe if it only included
simplex nodes, or at least a special category to encourage these, that
would've been better as then at least there is some additional skill needed
to erect an antenna suitable for simplex contacts (a piece of string often
suffices for repeaters!!).

[SNIP]

>> Voice was a dilution of Amateur Radio way back in the early days where CW
>> was all the go, yet here we are removing CW from the entrance
>> requirements.
>
> Well, I can see a difference when most of the transmission is via fiber
> rather than the air.

Yes, so can I, but amateur 'radio' encompases many, many different
technologies. The days of "wireless" are long gone, decades ago the thought
of connecting a computer to give Packet or SSTV would no doubt have also
been frowned upon as 'not amateur radio'.....

>> Rather than criticise those using IRLP, shouldn't we just 'understand'
>> that maybe they use it for a reason and then encourage them to experiment
>> with other modes??? On the other hand, I know of many long time hams
>> that use HF often for DX contacts, even using CW, but at other times
>> (e.g. when mobile, when portable, or when conditions are very poor) they
>> use IRLP to keep in touch with overseas stations AND encourage newcomers
>> to the hobby to chat with people outside their city....
>
> Or, will it encoiurage newcomers to simply stay at the lowes level,
> because if chatting to people around the world is their goal, then they
> have achieved it. As I have said, if that is what floats their boat, then
> so be it.

I think that depends a lot on several factors, including the attitude of
fellow amateurs and how much encouragement we give them to try other bands.
Of course, if money or space limits your abilities then perhaps IRLP will be
the only option used, but I would much prefer in that case a licensed
amateur use IRLP rather than see them just give up their licence and leave
the hobby!

For those that can set up other bands, it is up to fellow amateurs (I
believe) to 'spark their interest' and encorage them. I have seen young
Scouts and Guides amazed at how they can chat via radio to people all over
the world, but often the lead up to them experiencing that is to get them on
Packet and show them how a computer can be linked to another computer
without using phone lines.. By sparking their interest using something they
know (computers), we get them to try radio...

[SNIP]

>> Erect an an antenna system that works fairly well (depending if you use a
>> repeater or simplex node), learn general good operating practices, get
>> DTMF working on your radio!!!!
>
> And let us hope they don't stop there!

Too true!! It would certainly be nice to see them progress and take part in
other 'on air' contests next year!

>>>The bothersome part is that it seems like too many IRLP'ers and
>>>Echolinker's, just don't "get " that.
>>

>> I agree EchoLink is just not amateur radio, although I use it sometimes
>> from inside the house where the XYL wont let me bring my radios!
>
> hehe, my XYL was also pretty critical. I did eventually tell her that I
> was thinking about taking up a new hobby in place of amateur radio. The
> new hobby was going to bars and chatting with loose "wimmin". I
> retrospect, the ham radio didn't seem so bad. Now as long as my antennas
> aren't too obvious, she doesn't complain too much.

I have no problems with antenna's from the XYL, just none of those damn
noisy radio's inside! Has something to do with not enough room I guess.....

> But again,
>> rather than criticise and make fun of their chosen mode, wouldn't we be
>> much better off encouraging the use of other modes????
>
> Oh, heck, when you put it *that* way........ 8^)

I fully understand your feelings about IRLP, but I just don't think that
publicly criticising those that choose to use the mode is of any benefit, to
anyone! If you (or anyone) truly felt strongly enough about the length of
the contest, then I'm sure that politely worded notes to the organisers
would've gotten much further than some of the whinges we have seen on here!
Otherwise, for those that simply don't like IRLP, for whatever reason, is
there really any benefit to telling everyone this? I don't like CW, but I
don't make a big fuss everytime a CW contest is announces - I simply don't
take part in it! Likewise for those that don't like Packet, or RTTY, or
SSTV - I guess they just avoid those modes. So why should we start a debate
about IRLP that just ends up making us all look rather childish?????

Anyway, have fun and don't get too bogged in that 4WD!!!!

--
Martin, VK2UMJ

To reply by e-mail, replace ".invalid" with ".com.au"

Press any key to continue, or any other key to exit.

wonderer

Mar 22, 2005, 10:54:05 PM3/22/05

"Dan/W4NTI" <w4...@mindNOSPAMATALLspring.com> wrote in message

oh!! yes it is

let's take it one bit at a time

R = repeater = radio, receiver of repeater linked to
transmitter of a repeater in another country
the reverse is true.

I = internet, no problems here

L is for linking, no problems here

P is for protocol, to enable the two repeaters
to be able to be linked to gether, it is
radio at both ends.

what problem do you have with this

ALF VK5ZKL

> Dan/W4NTI

Brian Reay

Mar 23, 2005, 2:15:04 AM3/23/05

> Brian Reay wrote:
>
> > "Mike Coslo" <mco...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > >

> >>I know that my objection to the internet modes is *not* their
> >>existence, but that so many of their adherents want to call them
> >>"radio". And having a contest only exacerbates the silliness.
> >

> > Hmm, and what someone else calls it bothers you? AND they want a
contest.
> > The cheek of it!
>
> Quite!

You seem a bit sensitive.

> > This a akin to "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin." Take a
> > chill pill.
>
> Brian, Chill pills are for the upset.

Well, you certainly seem upset.

>Its just my opinion.

Fair enough, and live by it by simply having nothing to do with VOIP etc.
Leave those who like it to do their own thing.

Jock.

Mar 23, 2005, 2:14:33 PM3/23/05
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:08:20 +1100, Simon VK3XEM <use...@vk3xem.net> wrote:

>Ashley VK3HAG wrote:
>> Only the nominated Participating Nodes may be used for the contest. However,
>> nodes that are connected to Reflectors that are Participating (ie a UK Nov
>> node) still count, but only the Participating Nodes may be connected to by
>> contesters, therefore it is fair to all stations, as only those nominated
>> in each country are participating nodes. Note that new nodes are added daily
>> to the participating list.
>
>That certainly knocks down a lot of the flamers!

Really? To me it just makes the intending participants look even
sillier than before.

ZZZPK

Mar 23, 2005, 5:09:24 PM3/23/05
"Brian Reay" <brian.reay@(spamstopper)bigfoot.com> wrote:

: No doubt similar utterances were made when spark transmitters were phased
: out.

Dear Dear Brian.

you mean...you dont know ???

Surley you could have come up with a more definite statement than THAT ??

:
: Technology moves on, that is the nature of things. No one is forcing you to

: use ILRP or any of the other modes.

but yet you force M3 candiates to do a MORSE ASSESSMENT ??

No UK morse assessment pass = no UK licence whatsoever (FACT!)

COMPULSORY MORSE remains in the UK...
something you had a problem with prior to ITU meeting.

have a really really nice day Brian.

ZZZPK

Mar 23, 2005, 5:10:41 PM3/23/05
"Brian Reay" <brian.reay@(spamstopper)bigfoot.com> wrote:

: I don't think anyone is saying "shut up" etc. I'm saying unless ILRP impacts
: you, why worry?

morse test didnt impact you but you still shoutred from the roof tops and
wrote loads of emails to anyone who would rwad them ?

:
: Over the years I've come across many amateurs who hated some aspect of the

: hobby- packet, anything computer based,........ Not one ever seems to have
: found a niche they really do like.

yeh... you disagreed witht he morse test...
but now enforce the morse assessment COMPULSRY REQUIREMENT

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 23, 2005, 6:59:01 PM3/23/05

"Mike Coslo" <mco...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
Probably so.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 23, 2005, 7:00:35 PM3/23/05

"Brian Reay" <brian.reay@(spamstopper)bigfoot.com> wrote in message
There you go putting words into my mouth again Brian. I never said I hate
IRLP. I said I don't like it being called Ham Radio.

And I don't much care if you like my opinion or not.

So there.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 23, 2005, 7:10:30 PM3/23/05

"wonderer" <afor...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

Gawd Almighty you Ausies are a thick headed bunch, ain't ya?

Ham RADIO is communications with a RADIO or a RADIO system.

INTERNET is communications with a NETWORK of interconnected computers
organized in such a manner to send "packets" of data world-wide.

Do you see any mention of RADIO there?

Next.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 23, 2005, 7:12:42 PM3/23/05

"Brian Reay" <brian.reay@(spamstopper)bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Because I am right, and you are wrong. Further more I am NOT trying to
force you to believe it my way. I am just trying to show you that you are W
R O N G.

Keep calling IRLP or VOIP Ham radio all you want. The rest of us know
better.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI

Mar 23, 2005, 7:15:18 PM3/23/05

"Brian Reay" <brian.reay@(spamstopper)bigfoot.com> wrote in message

It seems to me the ONLY person here having a problem is Brian.

Dan/W4NTI

Walter Raleigh

Mar 23, 2005, 7:36:20 PM3/23/05

"ZZZPK " <zzzpk_pkearn_class_a@multi_band_cb_is_here.eircom.es.it.net> wrote
in message news:4241e925...@news.iol.ie...

"shoutred"

"rwad"

"yeh"

"witht"

"COMPULSRY"

Glass houses and stones come to mind. When preaching to Brian about his
actions and beliefs, an attempt to respond in the same language would be
nice.

HTH

--
Walter

Simon VK3XEM

Mar 23, 2005, 9:05:29 PM3/23/05

What I don't like is the way you are putting down a legitimate part of
the hobby. Whether you like it or not it IS a legitimate part of
Amateur Radio.

Simon VK3XEM

Mar 23, 2005, 9:15:43 PM3/23/05

I've got bad news for you, with a quick check of
http://status.irlp.net/statuspage.html showing a total 1595 IRLP Nodes
within the IRLP network and 139 currently engaged in use as I post this
message, that IRLP is a popular and *VALID* part of Amateur Radio.

Just because you do not see it as part of Amateur Radio that it isn't.

It might not be part of YOUR hobby, but that is a different story.

G-S

Mar 24, 2005, 2:56:26 AM3/24/05
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

So what are X25 "packets" then?

> Do you see any mention of RADIO there?

Well If I use IRLP (and I don't contest btw) then I talk into my "radio" and
someone else talks into thier "radio"

The middle bit is "packets" like my old VFH "packet" radio

G-S VK3DMN

G-S

Mar 24, 2005, 2:58:47 AM3/24/05
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

> Because I am right, and you are wrong.

You saying it doesn't make it so... it just makes it your "opinion".

> Keep calling IRLP or VOIP Ham radio all you want.

Not that I need your permission... but I'll keep on calling IRLP radio
because it is :-)

G-S VK3DMN

G-S

Mar 24, 2005, 3:00:46 AM3/24/05
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

> So there.

You know... that's sounds awfully like my 4 year old's debating skills LOL

G-S VK3DMN

Martin, VK2UMJ

Mar 24, 2005, 4:05:46 AM3/24/05
"Dan/W4NTI" <w4...@mindNOSPAMATALLspring.com> wrote in message

[SNIP]

> Gawd Almighty you Ausies are a thick headed bunch, ain't ya?
>
> Ham RADIO is communications with a RADIO or a RADIO system.
>
> INTERNET is communications with a NETWORK of interconnected computers
> organized in such a manner to send "packets" of data world-wide.
>
> Do you see any mention of RADIO there?

Yes, as a matter of fact, because the correct name for IRLP is Internet
Radio Linking Project. See www.irlp.net Note that is a USA website
describing IRLP, not an Aussie site...

A quote from the irlp.net website:

"The aim of this project is to reliably and inexpensively link amateur radio
systems without the use of RF links, leased lines, or satellites."

So, next question?

--
Martin, VK2UMJ

To reply by e-mail, replace ".invalid" with ".com.au"

"I cannot help but notice that there is no problem
between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Brian Reay

Mar 24, 2005, 4:59:45 AM3/24/05

> It seems to me the ONLY person here having a problem is Brian.

The problem I have is understanding the bitterness I see over something
that, for most people, would rank below picking tomorrow's breakfast
cereal. . If someone wants to call VOIP 'amateur radio' so what?

All I can assume is that you sole status in life is rooted in your
'position' as a radio amateur and you see the use of the term amateur radio
applied to VOIP some how devalues that status. If that is so, you have
more important things to worry about.

Stan

Mar 24, 2005, 8:26:02 AM3/24/05

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:33:23 GMT, "Ashley VK3HAG" <vk3...@nerg.asn.au>
> wrote:
>
>>"Jock." <real_cla...@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
>
> I very much doubt it. I cannot imagine why I would want to write about
> this sort of nonsense.

>>> concludes at the closing of the IRLP Conference in Las Vegas, April 17,
>>> 2005.
>
> ------%<-----

> 73 de Jock.
> --
> "Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
> - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

Whether it is radio or not, if you are not a fan of contests, (and I am
not), then those contesting via IRLP may well result in a decrease in HF
radio traffic, leaving the DX clear for others. Which I appreciate...

So, long live IRLP !!!!!

Cheers and 73,

Stan, G4EGH.

Jock.

Mar 24, 2005, 12:59:55 PM3/24/05
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:59:45 -0000, "Brian Reay"
<brian.reay@(spamstopper)bigfoot.com> wrote:

>"Dan/W4NTI" <w4...@mindNOSPAMATALLspring.com> wrote in message
> > >

>> It seems to me the ONLY person here having a problem is Brian.
>
>The problem I have is understanding the bitterness I see over something
>that, for most people, would rank below picking tomorrow's breakfast
>cereal. . If someone wants to call VOIP 'amateur radio' so what?

Because it demeans the hobby and brings it down to a level akin to that
of CB. That doesn't bother you?

Brian Reay

Mar 24, 2005, 1:10:37 PM3/24/05

> Because it demeans the hobby and brings it down to a level akin to that
> of CB. That doesn't bother you?

Firstly I don't agree that VOIP systems brings a "CB element" to the hobby,
any more than any other facet does.

Secondly, if I look across all the bad elements I've come across in the
hobby, only a few entered it via the CB route.

Simon VK3XEM

Mar 24, 2005, 4:04:08 PM3/24/05
Jock. wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:59:45 -0000, "Brian Reay"
> <brian.reay@(spamstopper)bigfoot.com> wrote:
>

>>"Dan/W4NTI" <w4...@mindNOSPAMATALLspring.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>It seems to me the ONLY person here having a problem is Brian.
>>
>>The problem I have is understanding the bitterness I see over something
>>that, for most people, would rank below picking tomorrow's breakfast
>>cereal. . If someone wants to call VOIP 'amateur radio' so what?
>

> Because it demeans the hobby and brings it down to a level akin to that
> of CB. That doesn't bother you?
>
> 73 de Jock.

You must really think you are better than everyone else around you, you
really are a SNOB!

Get over it, whether you like it or not Amateur Radio is evolving, it is
changing. You can still play with your spark gap transmitter if you
want, nobody is going to stop you. So you are wasting your time trying
to stop others to enjoy the hobby of *AMATEUR RADIO* in the way they see
fit within the *GUIDELINES*.

G-S

Mar 24, 2005, 7:26:31 PM3/24/05
>>The problem I have is understanding the bitterness I see over something
>>that, for most people, would rank below picking tomorrow's breakfast
>>cereal. . If someone wants to call VOIP 'amateur radio' so what?
>
> Because it demeans the hobby and brings it down to a level akin to that
> of CB. That doesn't bother you?

1. It doesn't demean the hobby, it widens it's appeal to a more inclusive
group.
2. CB isn't better or worse than amateur radio, it's just less technically
orientated.

So... no... not only does it not bother me, I approve of people calling VOIP
amateur radio.

G-S VK3DMN

ZZZPK

Mar 25, 2005, 9:27:19 AM3/25/05
"Walter Raleigh" <walterralei...@hotmail.com> wrote:

:
: "ZZZPK " <zzzpk_pkearn_class_a@multi_band_cb_is_here.eircom.es.it.net> wrote

DEOTH

now... what were yousaying about GLASSHOUSES ????????????????????

Walter Raleigh

Mar 25, 2005, 10:05:45 AM3/25/05

"ZZZPK " <zzzpk_pkearn_class_a@multi_band_cb_is_here.eircom.es.it.net> wrote
in message news:42441fa...@news.iol.ie...
> DEOTH

Ah yes, one typo, on an unfamiliar lap-top keyboard, quickly corrected in a
follow up post, as opposed to a decade of pseudo-dyslexic repetitive
drivel. I think you've beaten me there....<sigh!>. Incidentally, I don't use
a spell-checker, perhaps you need to try it.

--
73s de Walter R.

ZZZZPK

Mar 26, 2005, 7:03:01 AM3/26/05
"Walter Raleigh" <walterralei...@hotmail.com> wrote:

:
: "ZZZPK " <zzzpk_pkearn_class_a@multi_band_cb_is_here.eircom.es.it.net> wrote

: in message news:42441fa...@news.iol.ie...
: > DEOTH
:
: Ah yes, one typo, on an unfamiliar lap-top keyboard, quickly corrected in a

unfamiliar...

ye gods!

another excuse.

ZZZZPK

Mar 26, 2005, 10:12:17 AM3/26/05
"Walter Raleigh" <walterralei...@hotmail.com> wrote:

: "ZZZPK " <zzzpk_pkearn_class_a@multi_band_cb_is_here.eircom.es.it.net> wrote

Dear Dear Dear "Walter" or whatever your real name is ...

Since we are on the subject of SPELLCHECKERS which seems to be the
only item that you and several others can have a go at me over...

And given that those who previously had a go also fell on their faces
by mis-spelling something themselves....

I decided that it was time to go back in to the archives of google
to see for myself just how good you really are...

And of course...
right away...
your ability to make mistakes came up without too much filtering.

So you see "Walter" dear chap....
even those who think their spelling is brilliant can make mistakes...

As a second time winnner of the 12wpm morse TEST, I know i'm not perfect.
And on this newsgroup as elesewhere, I never claimed that I was.
But you won't see me running away from a morse test or encouraging others
to run away either and you certainly will not see me congratulating people
for running away.

Please note that these postings are from MAY 2004 ONLY !!
I shudder to think what other glaring spelling mistakes I might find
and to save you the embarressment, I decided to only point out a few.

here we go... ( Ref: COLLINS ENGLISH DICTIONARY )

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

From: "Walter Raleigh" <walterralei...@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 20:30:58 +0100

"jim.gm4dhj" <jim.g...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Why would I joke about THAT?.....

Well Captain Hook and the Finsbury Park brigade have a lot to answer
for,next you know they'll be banning Christmas and Easter on
the grounds that they alienate the ethnic minorities doncha know...

SPELLING MISTAKE: DONCHA SPELT PHONETICALLY
- SOMETHING YOU SAID YOU DONT DO.

as in ...

From: "Walter Raleigh" <walterr...@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:53:30 -0000

I don't type phonetically. Your answer?

--
73s de Walter R.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

From: "Walter Raleigh" <walterralei...@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 20:55:28 +0100

"zpk" <zpk_pkearn_class_a@multi_band_cb_is_here.eircom.es.it.net> wrote in
message news:40a51e57...@news1.eircom.net...

> The foul-mouthed CBer reveals himself at every turn.

Originality? ,Wassthat? It's bad enough others plagiarizing all Gareth's
little venomous soundbites without you too :)

--

Walter R.

SPELLING MISTAKE: SOUNDBITES SPELT WITHOUT 'SPACE'
SPELLING MISTAKE: PLAGIARIZE SPELT WITHOUT AN 'S'
You have already claimed your origin so this is an error

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

From: "Walter Raleigh" <walterr...@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 10:12:08 +0100

"Airy R. Bean" <ariy....@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> Indeed, her tirade was a rather silly and infantile outburst
> of sneering 'n' jeering in the best traditions of the uneducable CBers,
> indistinguishable from pigs grunting in the manure.

Really? Define (a) Your basis for referring to me as "she". Are you a
mysognist as well? Have you been rejected by women? Is
XXXXXXXXX aware of this?

--

Walter R.

SPELLING MISTAKE: MYSOGNIST

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

From: "Walter Raleigh" <walterr...@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 10:41:08 +0100

> such people would seem to be of a retarded mentality.

Another gentlemanly remark from the bastion of incoherence, inconsistency,
paranioa that is the REAL_RADIO_(HAM???) xxxxxx xxxxx lmao!

--

Walter R.

SPELLING MISTAKE: PARANIOA
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

From: "Walter Raleigh" <walterr...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Intermediate Mock Exam Papers
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 16:50:27 +0100

"Brian Reay" <brian...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

[snip]
> same thing. It is sympotmatic xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[snip]
> >Hope your not questioning my sanity, I'm new here :)))))))))))
>
> No more that the rest of us ;-)

LOL! Spot on!

--

Walter R.

SPELLING MISTAKE: SYMPOTMATIC - ERROR NOT SLAGGED OFF BY "WALTER"

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

From: "Walter Raleigh" <walterr...@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 20:42:50 +0100

"Geoff" <ge...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

[snip]

Certainly it would appear that Mr. xxxxx threw in the towel with me
noteably early. Apparently I made his sin bin after only two
posts! Must be something of a record:-)

--

Walter R.

SPELLING MISTAKE: NOTEABLY - SPELT WRONG
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

From: "Walter Raleigh" <walterr...@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:48:02 +0100

> "Gender based insult" ? When one has no info on the sex of
> the person one is intercourse with, it is no longer politically
> correct to assume masculine. It is PC to assume feminine.

Absolute rubbish and squirming of the highest order! You do it merely as a
feeble attempt at insult,and a sexually descriminatory
one at that. The very fact that you seek to justify it only enhances the
validity of your intent.

[snip]

--

Walter R.

SPELLING MISTAKE: DESCRIMINATORY SPELT WRONG

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

From: "Walter Raleigh" <walterr...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Attachments on a News Group
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:56:08 +0100

"Dave D" <someone@.dave-d.com> wrote in message

[snip]

Thanks Dave,seems Walt has just discovered this trick,or something
similiar perhaps as no attachment showed up from your post. He's
a mischevious one I'll give him that ;) I too find OE good enough for me
Microsoft or not! Pays to keep the antivirus bang up to
date too though

--
Seachtó a trí

Walter R.

SPELLING MISTAKE: SIMILIAR SPELT WRONG
SPELLING MISTAKE: MISCHEVIOUS SPELT WRONG

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I doubt that you will be able to claim that every one of these mistakes
was as a result of an unfamiliar keyboard but I expect you might!

If you have been on this newsgroup for as long as you claim you would
remember others falling foul of their own mistakes too and by criticising
my spelling but you obvously dont remember which leads me to doubt your
length of presence here.

The list of exposed failed-spellcheckers
gathers another member to its tail.

So, as you see "Walter" or whatever your name is (hiding in the shadows),
slagging off someone for their spelling errors isn't very nice.

Do have a really really really nice day.

Your ever friendly and supportive ZZPK

END

It is loading more messages.