spectrum abuser

tom

Mar 20, 2005, 7:51:25 AM3/20/05
There's a guy within 2m range of my location who's making interfering
transmissions and not identifying himself, and just generally being an
idiot. For instance, 2 licenced operators will be talking about a problem
one of them is having with antenna baluns or something, and this individual
will cut in with a comment like, "They're giving licences to anyone these
days --- if you can't even run a radio ...", and then he's gone. I'm new to
this. I just got my licence last week, but I know it's possible to DF a
radio signal. I've been listening to this guy for weeks. If Industry
Canada has more important things to do, then how about farming out the job
to some volunteers. All it would take is to localize him to where he lives,
and knock on his door and let him know someone knows who he is. There's no
way he's sophisticated enough to move from place to place to evade a sweep.
I'll bet we wouldn't even need to take the radio away --- just let him know
someone is on the case and he'll pack it in. I'm sure this is a situation
that happens over and over, though, what's the usual method of solving it?

--
73
Tom

MrCPU

Mar 21, 2005, 7:50:34 AM3/21/05
We have our share of trolls here in Toronto. Generally speaking,
thanks to cutbacks IC does dick-all. If you have any buddies in the
RCMP and they are willing to assist you, you can try and get charges
laid but AFAIK only an IC rep or an RCMP officer can enforce IC regs.

tom

Mar 21, 2005, 10:42:13 AM3/21/05
I guess you're right. According to the rules and regulations only officials
can legally prosecute the guy --- but maybe he doesn't know that ...

--
73
Tom

Skype (voIP 'ware) Name:
va7fab_tom_in_vancouver

Joe R.Morris, Jr.

Mar 21, 2005, 5:52:15 PM3/21/05
I dont know alot about this kinda of stuff......and call me an CB idiot if
you wish to do so......cause mainly I only deal with CB type stuff.....there
are some antennas out there you can track his signal with.....sorta like a
"rabbit hunt" if you will....once you find out his pretty close area....then
install a small "transmitting bug" for his listening pleasure...LOL

Joebaby
High Tech Redneck
Rednecks, Inc. of Northwest Mississippi ©2005
USA
"tom" <cybe...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

tom

Mar 21, 2005, 6:12:08 PM3/21/05
Install a bug? I'm not sure I'm following you. You mean set a jammer?
Yeah --- but then he'd just change frequencies (if that was what you meant).
How do CB people shut down deliberate interference?

I'll bet there are some interesting stories out there about how this kind
situation has been dealt with in the past, like I said, I'm sure this is a
perennial issue.

--
73
Tom

Joe R.Morris, Jr.

Mar 21, 2005, 6:38:16 PM3/21/05
Well at one time around my area.....we had this garbage can called "Big
John"......more like a toilet was he......so one day we figured out where he
was transmitting from.....his house to be exact.......one night
undercover.......with folks who had experience with this kinda of stuff...of
course.......we installed "transmitting bugs" so to speak.......they
transmitted on one frequency at about 500mW to 1 W off of a 9 volt battery
for some time.....not only did we install one under hsi base antenna (home
unit) we also installed a couple more on his vehicles in nice, hideable
places where he would never know to look....so no matter where he
went....for about 2 to 3 months all he heard was this wierd transmission in
his radios........found out he was taking all his radios to the shop to see
what was wrong with them.....nothing was wrong with them.......we had went
to another channel to do our talking.........on the CB band and sometimes to
talk about him we went to USB/LSB to talk as well......he still dont know
what happened or who did it......since then he moved about 100 miles off
from here.....

Joebaby
High Tech Redneck
Rednecks, Inc. of Northwest Mississippi ©2005

"tom" <cybe...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

tom

Mar 21, 2005, 9:21:35 PM3/21/05
Hah --- good one! I'll bet there's a hundred more out there that are just
as good, too. How complicated a deal was it to get position fix on Big
John? Was it in the city or the country? With my luck, just as I started
to get real strong readings that he's right in front of me I'd look up to
see a highrise. Too bad you didn't have a guy in the radio shop in on the
play, that way when he brings his gear in to be fixed the problems
mysteriously just keep multiplying ...

Tom
Skype Name:
va7fab_tom_in_vancouver

Message has been deleted

Gary

Mar 23, 2005, 10:05:21 PM3/23/05
You could spend some time on rabbit hunting but since you are new to
radio as a whole, you likely don't want to do that. In a nutshell, the
guy is line of sight, and can be found. Is he being heard through a
repeater or simplex? Get several guys, scattered around your community,
to listen for his signal and get some idea where it is the strongest and
work from there. Cheap 2 meter direction finders can be built from kits
and this might be a good project to learn how to solder if nothing else.
If you can get very close and he knows it that might be all it takes to
silence the guy. I'd never suggest doing anything illegal to him once he
is located.

Joe R.Morris, Jr.

Mar 24, 2005, 3:27:16 AM3/24/05
Well considering he "lived" in a city residential house......I could sit
beside some school buses and transmit and plug his ears allnight......and
yes we had the radio tech in on the deal.....they was charging him everytime
he brought something in for their time to look at his equipment......I dont
think he every found out who did it.....now days he prolly woudl care
less...LMAO

Joebaby
High Tech Redneck
Rednecks, Inc. of Northwest Mississippi ©2005

"tom" <cybe...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

tom

Mar 24, 2005, 8:44:32 AM3/24/05
Unless I'm really misjudging this guy, I might not even need to get very
close. All I would have to do is let him "overhear" me talking about DFing
him, and how much I want him to talk, because every time he makes another
inane comment I get that much closer.
I think what interests him is the reaction he gets from some people that
makes him think he's capable of doing something that others dont want him to
do but are powerless to stop. If he could be made to think that people
wanted him to talk (so they could DF his signal) he'd probably clam up in an
instant.

--
73
Tom

Gary S.

Mar 24, 2005, 12:02:27 PM3/24/05
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:51:25 GMT, "tom" <cybe...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>There's a guy within 2m range of my location who's making interfering
>transmissions and not identifying himself, and just generally being an
>idiot. For instance, 2 licenced operators will be talking about a problem

>someone is on the case and he'll pack it in. I'm sure this is a situation

>that happens over and over, though, what's the usual method of solving it?

The quote you give almost sounds like he is someone who has had a ham
license, one of the ones who feels that the testing has been watered
down. You can look up radio licensees by the town, and you might focus
your search this way to start with.

Also, in the US, the ARRL has a program for "Official Observers" who
basically give official reports to the FCC about those violating the
rules on-air, extending the "ears" of the FCC enforcement operation.
Their reports are given more credence than those coming in from some
random person.

You might check if RAC and Industry Canada have a similar thing.

Being upset that hams talk about radio equipment on the air? Seems a
bit foolish.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA